Ouya vs Nvidia Shield

Search This thread

LoaderAi

Feb 27, 2013
Guelph
Imagine...

What if they made the next OUYA into an even smaller form factor with Tegra 5 that you could potentially fit into your pocket and use it like the Shield with a screen on it or even as a way to stream games to your phone or TV... wouldn't that be something ;)

Either way, I'm going to get the OUYA following the reviews of initial buyers, all I need is satisfactory comments and I'm in. Shield, through my perspective, seems like another PSP/Vita/DS/ whatever. They have no appeal for their price.

papertown11

Jan 6, 2013
Orlando

most serious gamers should have an hdmi port so you can just transfer the games to the tv and wireless streaming for games is overated

sssggg

Jul 31, 2011
AW: Ouya vs Nvidia Shield

I personally think that Nvidia shield is better than this one. With the shield, you can stream your PC games on it.
There's something I don't understand. Why would anyone want to buy an expensive device like the shield just to play PC games on a TV? Why not put the PC next to the TV and use a regular HDMI cable instead?

Also, the ouya's power consumption will be much lower than what a PC draws. One of the reasons why I don't play PC games is that wasting 1000 Watts/hour isn't worth it to me. My Xbox' power consumption is bad enough. In fact, it's so bad that I wouldn't ever use it as a media player.

Reactions: josenightbreed

Harfainx

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 10, 2010
The Shield isn't meant to compete with anything except other portable systems, such as 3DS and Vita. OUYA and Shield are in completely different worlds. The only real common feature is that they run on Android.

One major reason for the Shield is to break "hardcore" gamers away from ATI video cards. To stream from your computer, you need a current gen NVIDIA video card (minimum 650 for desktop, and 660 for laptop). Nobody is going to buy a $400 handheld (my estimate on cost, purely speculation) and not take advantage of the ability to stream games.

Of course they're also trying to make PC gaming truly mobile. Right now the most mobile you can get is a slate PC, but then you lose the ability to play high end games. I am not about to carry my ASUS G75VW to the bathroom or the kitchen while playing an online game. With the Shield, you are truly mobile (if only in your own house). Then you can continue gaming on Android games when you're away from your home network.

Casual Android gamers that want mobility will buy a tablet for the same price (or cheaper), or pick up an Android running system with hard buttons (like the Archos GamePad or the JDX S7300). Nobody is going to drop money on the Shield to play Angry Birds, or whatever the current game fad is.

With the cost of the OUYA it appeals to all types of Android gamers that just want to play with a controller, on a full size display. $100 is $100 though, so it's not like everyone can just buy the OUYA on a whim, but it is much easier to justify dropping $100, especially when you factor in other features besides gaming (streaming media, playing movies/TV from removable media, showing off all your terribly filtered food pictures to your family and friends on a big screen, and whatever else you decide to do with it).

We won't be seeing the latest and greatest SoC right after it drops, even on future refreshes of the OUYA. It's already been said that they won't build a successor until they can bring it to the market at a sub-$100 price. If they wait for the Tegra 5, we won't be getting a hardware refresh until the Tegra 5 has been on the market for at least 8-10 months (or longer).

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

raptir

May 4, 2010
Why are people pricing the Shield at $400-$500? You really think it's going to be 2-4 times the price of competing handhelds and competing tablets?

Reactions: sidthegreatest

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
People are going by previous analyst and media assumptions. Since it is supposed to have Play market support, the price will be at a margin to drive a profit. There is of course the goal of getting people to buy Nvidia card computers for the PC games functionality, but they are in trouble if they think that will be the main money maker.

This will be priced for profit, unlike the Gamestick and Ouya that are priced to be mainly supported by their app markets. Both a tall order, considering both devices only have a little over six gigs for app installs. Not enough space for game devices. Archos made the same mistake with their Gamepad, but not app market driven for revenue.

Keep in mind the Tegra 4 chipset will be expensive at start up (launch cost curves are high) and the device apparently has a high quality display. No way less than $300. Probably $350.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    youre trying to compair a 100$ tv connected box with a 500$ handheld system. Its like compairing the wii from yesteryear to the psvita. Two completely different things. The ouya will be powerfull enough to do basic things but supposedly there will be a better one next year with the new Tegra chipset.
    Why would I want to stream games? I'd need the hardware in my PC to do so and at that point...why am I not gaming on my gaming desktop? The logic doesn't follow with that at all.
    I personally think that Nvidia shield is better than this one. With the shield, you can stream your PC games on it.

Well, i agree with you. Remember that you' ll need an NVIDIA graphics card to do that "magic" trick :cyclops:
    The Tegra 3 in the OUYA is going to be more powerful than the ones found in mobile devices because that there is no power constraint.
    are two different devices too ...