Surplus Wind Heavy Duty Metal Anti Shock Drop Protection Case

Search This thread

vantt1

Dec 23, 2011
Anyone have the Surplus Wind Heavy Duty Metal Anti Shock Drop Protection Case yet? Any good?

Link
They're great! I have one for the Galaxy S4, and it feels like a tank. I can't imagine how big it would be for the Note 2 though.

The two aluminium halves of the case support the phone where the screw holes are, so I wouldn't be surprised if it could withstand being run over by a car. It's a good idea to install a wireless charging pad as well. It works through the silicone cutout in the back, and makes charging much more convenient! The built-in glass screen protector is also nice. None of this!:

t304654a.jpg

I wouldn't trust it to be fully waterproof though. It's weather resistant at most, protecting it from rain and stuff. Just look at that camera cutout!

T2OrQDXfRbXXXXXXXX_1713240111.jpg

OvrDriVE

Sep 8, 2012
Fresno
to bulky

looks to bulky for my taste. if it adds that much to a s4. can imagine what it's gonna add to a note 2. i'll stick with my otterbox defender

Double0EK

May 13, 2010
If you look on that site there's another heavy duty case. It's not as coffin like and has rounded edges.

quatis7

May 18, 2012
I am super tempted also.... but ill let you take the plunge and tell us about it...to the dude that will stick with his otterbox... Ive never seen anything bigger than a defender

OvrDriVE

Sep 8, 2012
Fresno
I am super tempted also.... but ill let you take the plunge and tell us about it...to the dude that will stick with his otterbox... Ive never seen anything bigger than a defender

lol, if you saw the size of my hands you'd understand why the otterbox feels so comfortable to me. i like the feel and overall protection provided by the defender case. anything else feels almost dainty to me so.

BigPimpin

Jan 3, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Got the case today. Ordered it on April 29th and got it in today, May 12th.

The case comes nicely packaged. The outside of the box says it's waterproof, but I wouldn't trust it at all. The camera area has a small piece of tempered glass over it and the seal around it looks like black glue. I't might be waterproof, but risk it. Also, the earplug port doesn't seem like the best seal either. It close really tight, but still seems like a risk. The phone speaker and seems like it has a small black screen over it, doesn't look water proof at all there. That's pretty much the only negative things about the case. The rest is pretty damn good.

The case comes packaged like this:

Opening the box you get the extra screws and the tool to remove the crews.

Now for size comparison. The case next to an Otterbox Defender case. This case is 1/8" longer and 1/8" wider then the Otterbox. To me, that doesn't feel any bigger in my hand at all.

The big difference is the height. The Otterbox is 1/4" thicker then the metal case. Here they are laying flat next to each other.

I weighed the phone in the Otterbox and it was 9.6 oz. In the metal case it weighed 11.4 oz., so a slight increase in weight. And to me the 2 oz. is that big of a deal. What's really nice is the tempered glass screen protector. It feels about 3x's thicker then the plastic one on the Otterbox. There isn't any problem with sensitivity screen interaction. Also, the black square on the back is some of the rubber from the inside of the case and it sits right in the palm and keeps the phone from slipping. The black all along the edges is rubber too and helps with grip. I can see the rubber possibly attracting some dust. Have to wait a few days and see how dirty it gets. All of the buttons work easily too. Power, volume and home button all work perfectly.

I showed this case to 3 other friends and family that have Note 2's and all want to order one now. The only thing that would make this case better would be a big name brand behind it that would back up the waterproof claim. If this case had been around when the Note 2 launched, I would have definitely picked it over the Otterbox.

BigPimpin

Jan 3, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Before I got the case I did the live chat on the site and asked a few questions and they said NFC would not work once the case was on. I can use S Beam and all of that just fine since there isn't metal behind the black square on the back.

Last edited:

vantt1

Dec 23, 2011
Also worth mentioning is the impact truss inside of the case's silicone bumper. They are triangular holes that help absorb shock when dropped.

dsFkKn7.jpg

Mf2p6bx.jpg

kBTnPqL.jpg

quatis7

May 18, 2012
Thanks for the awesome review. I couldn't wait and ordered mine before this review came out. I hope mine arrives as swiftly ad yours did. I am concerned that it won't fit in my iottie dash mount

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

m4ttj00

Oct 22, 2009
Seattle, WA
Order Link?

Where I can order one?

The case comes nicely packaged. The outside of the box says it's waterproof, but I wouldn't trust it at all. The camera area has a small piece of tempered glass over it and the seal around it looks like black glue. I't might be waterproof, but risk it. Also, the earplug port doesn't seem like the best seal either. It close really tight, but still seems like a risk. The phone speaker and seems like it has a small black screen over it, doesn't look water proof at all there. That's pretty much the only negative things about the case. The rest is pretty damn good.

Now for size comparison. The case next to an Otterbox Defender case. This case is 1/8" longer and 1/8" wider then the Otterbox. To me, that doesn't feel any bigger in my hand at all.

The big difference is the height. The Otterbox is 1/4" thicker then the metal case. Here they are laying flat next to each other.

I weighed the phone in the Otterbox and it was 9.6 oz. In the metal case it weighed 11.4 oz., so a slight increase in weight. And to me the 2 oz. is that big of a deal. What's really nice is the tempered glass screen protector. It feels about 3x's thicker then the plastic one on the Otterbox. There isn't any problem with sensitivity screen interaction. Also, the black square on the back is some of the rubber from the inside of the case and it sits right in the palm and keeps the phone from slipping. The black all along the edges is rubber too and helps with grip. I can see the rubber possibly attracting some dust. Have to wait a few days and see how dirty it gets. All of the buttons work easily too. Power, volume and home button all work perfectly.

I showed this case to 3 other friends and family that have Note 2's and all want to order one now. The only thing that would make this case better would be a big name brand behind it that would back up the waterproof claim. If this case had been around when the Note 2 launched, I would have definitely picked it over the Otterbox.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    looks to bulky for my taste. if it adds that much to a s4. can imagine what it's gonna add to a note 2. i'll stick with my otterbox defender

Went ahead and ordered one the other day. I'll post pics when it comes in. I'll get some side by sides of it vs the OtterBox Defender I have.