The potential joys of Nvflash (Dead in the water?)

Search This thread
Odm data part should not be used unless you know the correct string since it program some harware like lcd type, flash memory chips type and size, etc... it is not needed to use nvflash for dailly restore...

It is a very bad advice to post these and telling other to try them IMHO

Sent from my UPC300-2.2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sogarth

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 14, 2006
Yeah, I've seen some of the ODM translation documentation, and I know that changing it is risky at best. I was just running a simple --sync command, but even that failed to go across.

scores87

May 29, 2010
Can someone tell me what is the difference between this bootloader and the XOOM.... I know atrix is locked but is it the same "type of bootloader" does the fact that XOOM can be unlocked help to unlock the atrix?

raybond25

Apr 26, 2008
Ottawa
Can someone tell me what is the difference between this bootloader and the XOOM.... I know atrix is locked but is it the same "type of bootloader" does the fact that XOOM can be unlocked help to unlock the atrix?
not really, since the Atrix is secured with a specific key and the fact that Moto has provided this (or an alternate method, idk what they did with the XOOM) really doesn't help us in this case, since what we need is device-specific (to all Atrixes, not each individual device)

at least, that's my understanding of it.

fifo209

Feb 12, 2011
Here is the issue:
The units tested so far had the sbk flag set to false. This means that the Tegra processor is NOT secure. With such a unit. You can do whatever you want with the unit via nVFlash. (Sbk burned: false)

Xoom units (all vintage of them) have sbk set to true. This effectively kills any potential write to the device via nVFlash unless you know the sbk (good luck with that).
So Fastboot won’t make a difference because fastboot is a secondary layer of code on top of nVidia. In other words fastboot cannot Re-partition pull partitions push partitions to/from the device the same way nVFlash does.

Now, if someone can figure out a way around sbk or a way to zero out the sbk, that will be where the money is !!

benny6812

Jan 6, 2010
Hey,

While this might be frowned upon, I just wanted to know where we stand.

I unfortunately have a bricked atrix, has any progress been made with NVFLASH or is there someone I could send it to?

Thanks

rob219

Jul 11, 2010
here and there
Google Pixel 7a
Hey,

While this might be frowned upon, I just wanted to know where we stand.

I unfortunately have a bricked atrix, has any progress been made with NVFLASH or is there someone I could send it to?

Thanks

if your bricked try flashing the 1.2.6 sbf with rsd. i dont know if the fruit cake works as i have not tried it but it might and you can flash that in the phones recovery. im telling you this because i have bricked my phone a couple times playing around with it, mostly soft bricks (looping bootanimations that never end or restart my phone and never get passed boot animation) but i did cause it to not turn on once and when it did i was stuck at the dual core boot logo and flashing this sbf unbricked my phone more than once. also you will have to reroot the phone and redo the boot loader. the bootloader will still be unlocked but it does not say unlocked at boot screen until you redo the unlock steps and it better to redo it any way just in case. try it im almost possirive itll work for you.

Last edited:

sms2000

Mar 5, 2009
Modi'in
OnePlus 8 Pro
I came to the conclusion that even motorola can't fix those hard-bricked atrix 4g's since they replace them instead of nvflashing.

Not necessary. Likely they swap the hardbricked phones just to accelerate the whole process.
Repaired yours will be refurbished and swapped to next hardbricked etc.

If you have JTAG interface, computer and required software (in-lab) you can unbrick any physically intact phone. IMHO... (I 'm not in electronics business last 7 years).

freemantjp

Dec 16, 2009
MB860 logic circuit includ the CPU 、DDR memory and 16G memory . Produced when the plant has not erased the memory of the CPU on the binding of 16G memory chip ID. So if phone bricks or canot boot. Need to be replaced 16G memory chips, but. CPU already has the only non-erasable old 16G chip ID. we can only replace the new CPU. to re-write the factory version of the boot process, otherwise the CPU is denied write the boot process.

you can see

http ://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=15194812740&wwlight=cntaobao%E6%B7%B1%E5%9C%B3%E5%8D%8E%E7%BB%B4%E7%A7%91%E6%8A%80-%7B15194812740%7D

Reactions: ltdanno360

benjat

May 18, 2007
Penang
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
MB860 logic circuit includ the CPU 、DDR memory and 16G memory . Produced when the plant has not erased the memory of the CPU on the binding of 16G memory chip ID. So if phone bricks or canot boot. Need to be replaced 16G memory chips, but. CPU already has the only non-erasable old 16G chip ID. we can only replace the new CPU. to re-write the factory version of the boot process, otherwise the CPU is denied write the boot process.

you can see

http ://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=15194812740&wwlight=cntaobao%E6%B7%B1%E5%9C%B3%E5%8D%8E%E7%BB%B4%E7%A7%91%E6%8A%80-%7B15194812740%7D

so this might be the solution of atrix hard brick? if near me.. i would like to buy the item in that page.. want to try on my brick atrix so i can have 2 atrix :D

freemantjp

Dec 16, 2009
chinese some skip sbk by change cpu.
i change cpu,ram,rom
i test by factory cable the sbk is disable
attachment.php

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Interestingly enough (I don't know the reasons), it looks like Motorola left a copy of Nvflash and Atrix-specific bootloader.bin for it on the Atrix. What's interesting about Nvflash is that it allows for targeted backup and restore of partitions (i.e. something along the lines of what Nandroid allows for, except at a lower level), which decreases recovery time when developers do something that ends up soft-bricking their phone. It should also break us free of our dependence on SBFs because we'll be able to create our own backups.

Anyways, the Nvflash on the phone is the Linux i386 binary. The bootloader.bin isn't platform specific, as it's meant for the target, rather than the host. THe archive is available in /usr/local/share/motorola/fireboxmake/OSH_tools.tgz.

Unfortunately, this is where we get stuck, because we don't currently know how to get a connection to the phone. And that's where all of you come in! Can you get further? I've gotten this far:
    Code:
    Nvflash started
    rcm version 0X4
    Command send failed (usb write failed)

I imagine that some of the functionality may end up requiring the --sbk flag (and we don't know the SBK right now), but I'm hoping that we can at least backup and restore /system, /data, and /osh.

Update: Information I've obtained indicates that this is the error you get when the SBK you pass in doesn't match the SBK on the system. :( So, no luck until we get that SBK.

Update 2: Additional links from dasmoover:

Credit to dasmoover for the find.
    Wow he was just asking a questing...If you feel that even just telling him/us what the thread was about is so bad/dangerous then i think there is a bigger problem here. This should be a place to share information, ideas and if we start cracking down on that then we lose so much (yes if it is copyrighted or under nda then take it down)

there is a separate dev forum that we can't access for DEVs only that that information is being used on. it being in the open here might hurt our chances of being able to exploit anything as moto might find it and patch it before the devs have a chance to get at it.
    If a factory cable is required for NVflash then we may be able to help you folks. We are getting a very small number (25) made for us for a steep price but I will see if MotoCache1 will post the pin out map he made so you can make your own. His prototpe was pretty messy and its a pain in the ass to do all the fine soldering needed, so most people are willing to pay the price for a pre made cable that they can trust for flashing their expensive phone, especially attempting unknown procedures.
    Send a command to it before it's loaded... I know this probably wont work and would be hard to execute but if it did work it would be awesome

Sent From My Gingerblurred Phone
    The SBK fuse information is protected from both read and write by the time the kernel is loaded.

Has anyone tried getting it through fastboot, or will that not work? Someone must have thought of that already.