Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

jcase

Retired Forum Mod / Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2010
Sequim WA
For 6.3 see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=24129239

Please do not reupload/redistribute BurritoRoot2/BurritoRoot3, instead link directly to my hosting. I own the server, it will no go away any time soon. This allows me to update it if a bug is found.

BurritoRoot3 is not opensource, it is free, but it is not free to distribute. Please do not redistribute it.

Tested on 6.2, 6.2.1 and 6.2.2

Disclaimer:
BurritoRoot3 may void your warranty. While it was tested, over and over, a chance of data loss or hardware damage always exists. If something bad happens due to your use of BurritoRoot3, well it is your fault not our's, don't blame any of us.

Wine/Coffee/Device Funding:
To donate to jcase of TeamAndIRC for BurritoRoot go here:
http://xdaforums.com/donatetome.php?u=2376614

To donate to pokey900 for the FireFireFire Bootloader go here:
http://xdaforums.com/donatetome.php?u=466725

Download:
http://download.cunninglogic.com/BurritoRoot3.apk

BurritoRoot3 is an all in one package, to root and install the custom bootlaoder, FireFireFire, onto the KindleFire.

Instructions are pretty plain and simple, however you will have to get adb working on your own (if you have written, or know of adb guides for the Kindle Fire please PM me to list them here).

ADB GUIDES
MAC GUIDE: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1443071
WINDOWS GUIDE: http://www.jayceooi.com/2011/12/13/how-to-install-kindle-fire-adb-usb-driver/
LINUX GUIDE: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=22067293

What it does:
Gains root, installs superuser, installs su and installs the FireFireFire bootloader.

At this time, we do not have permission to distribute any recovery, once one is available for our use, we will add auto flashing of recovery.

How to use:

adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp

Run app, follow directions given by the app.

Usage example :

jcase@phenom:~$ adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp <---- This one is important, it may not create BurritoRoot3.bin if this is not done
jcase@phenom:~$ adb install BurritoRoot3.apk
4897 KB/s (1151520 bytes in 0.229s)
pkg: /data/local/tmp/BurritoRoot3.apk
Success

<go open the app now>

jcase@phenom:~$ adb shell /data/local/tmp/BurritoRoot3.bin --root
BurritoRoot3 Installer 0.1 by TeamAndIRC
#########################################################################
Usage: BurritoRoot3.bin <parameter>
--root - Restart adbD as root, and install Superuser app
--install - Install su
Gaining root...
Installing Superuser APP, if it erros as already exists, please ignore the error.
pkg: /data/data/net.andirc.burritoroot3/bin/Superuser.apk
Success
Restarting adbD as root...
Please run adb shell /data/local/tmp/BurritoRoot3.bin --install
jcase@phenom:~$ adb shell /data/local/tmp/BurritoRoot3.bin --install
--install - Install su
BurritoRoot3 kroot 0.1 - TeamAndIRC
Remounting /system...
Cleaning up, ignore any errors
rm failed for /system/xbin/su, No such file or directory
rm failed for /system/bin/su, No such file or directory
Installing su...
Remounting /system..
Root installed
Starting: Intent { act=android.intent.action.MAIN cmp=net.andirc.burritoroot3/.FireFireFire }
Please check your Kindle's screen
jcase@phenom:~$

If you already have root, and want to safely install the FireFireFire bootloader, you can use the app, just install, open/close the app then

adb shell am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n net.andirc.burritoroot3/net.andirc.burritoroot3.FireFireFire

To install the CWR recovery by DoomLord after gaining root:

Download it, and push it to your Kindle

adb push <filename> /data/local/recovery.img
adb shell dd if=/data/local/recovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/mmci-omap-hs.1/by-name/recovery

Last edited:

CharlieBoy808

Jul 12, 2010
Beaverton, OR
charlieboy808.com
I love you Devs so much. I just got a Kindle today, but as I watched the video your Kindle shows up under Other Devices as if it didn't install the device driver. Mine is installed under portable devices. Can I just update that one or is there a debug mode for the Kindle that I'm missing?

Thanks for all you do!

---------- Post added at 10:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 AM ----------

I love you Devs so much. I just got a Kindle today, but as I watched the video your Kindle shows up under Other Devices as if it didn't install the device driver. Mine is installed under portable devices. Can I just update that one or is there a debug mode for the Kindle that I'm missing?

Thanks for all you do!

LoL Nevermind I think I know why mine isn't there... I've already installed ADB from before. I shall continue on and see what happens :-D

Reactions: Zarzoo

AproSamurai

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 4, 2010
Van Nuys, CA
github.com
I'm currently running Ubuntu 11.10(Without access to a windows computer to do so.) And after following the steps within the BurritoRoot I get error: insufficient permissions for device when entering adb root. I've rebooted my kindle and laptop as well as changed usb ports.

I've set it up so that it's acknowledged within /.android. Am I perhaps missing something sdk wise? The usb configuration install for extras within it says Linux isn't compatible. But any insight into this would be appreciated I'm not new to Android or adb for that matter. Things seem to be done differently for the Kindle is all.

Thanks guys. :)

jcase

Feb 20, 2010
Sequim WA
I'm currently running Ubuntu 11.10(Without access to a windows computer to do so.) And after following the steps within the BurritoRoot I get error: insufficient permissions for device when entering adb root. I've rebooted my kindle and laptop as well as changed usb ports.

I've set it up so that it's acknowledged within /.android. Am I perhaps missing something sdk wise? The usb configuration install for extras within it says Linux isn't compatible. But any insight into this would be appreciated I'm not new to Android or adb for that matter. Things seem to be done differently for the Kindle is all.

adb kill-server
sudo -s
adb devices

should see it now

notsointeresting

Mar 18, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I can not get ADB to recognize the device for the life of me.

I know I have the drivers installed the Fire is recognized as "android composite adb interface" under the Android Phone category in Device manager. But I can not get adb to see it.

"Adb kill-server"
"adb devices"
and it shows no devices attached. Ive done a factory reset on the tablet just to see (knowing it wouldn't make a difference)

Im running Windows XP
if someone could help me out.

jcase

Feb 20, 2010
Sequim WA
I can not get ADB to recognize the device for the life of me.

I know I have the drivers installed the Fire is recognized as "android composite adb interface" under the Android Phone category in Device manager. But I can not get adb to see it.

"Adb kill-server"
"adb devices"
and it shows no devices attached. Ive done a factory reset on the tablet just to see (knowing it wouldn't make a difference)

Im running Windows XP
if someone could help me out.

I'm sure its related to windows' drivers but I have no clue. Sorry

Reactions: notsointeresting

ovrrdrive

Nov 19, 2010
Dis this last night and it worked fine. Thanks!

I did have a few minor stumbles though. It seems the newest version of the software changed the name of the superuser app but the guide still uses the old name in the install command. Once I realized this I just changed the name in the command and it went right in.

Also for some reason I couldn't select the text in the adb box on the web page so I had to enter the commands by hand. No big deal but I would have felt more secure if the commands were in simple text so I could have copy/paste them in.

Like I said though everything worked and I have the market installed now. Thanks for the hard work!

Fee454

Jul 17, 2011
I'm having some trouble with mine...I am trying to follow the video instructions to the link but it shows downloading a .android folder and extracting it to my user name on desktop but there is no such link. I have downloaded SDK and installed google usb drivers as well. I have 6.2.1 firmware and downloaded kindleroot_androidpolice.apk and placed on my kindle and I also downloaded superuser-2. I am not able to install the driver to the fire either. I go to my computer, manage, device manager, kindle, update driver software, browse my computer, etc. I have no INF file to choose under my .android folder.

Any help would be appreciated

Last edited:

jaredb03

Jan 10, 2010
SEK
My sd card is showing up as unmounted and not sure how to remount it. I sent adb remount and it didn't work. Any help would be appreciated.

b63

Dec 8, 2011
I'm having some trouble with mine...I am trying to follow the video instructions to the link but it shows downloading a .android folder and extracting it to my user name on desktop but there is no such link. I have downloaded SDK and installed google usb drivers as well. I have 6.2.1 firmware and downloaded kindleroot_androidpolice.apk and placed on my kindle and I also downloaded superuser-2. I am not able to install the driver to the fire either. I go to my computer, manage, device manager, kindle, update driver software, browse my computer, etc. I have no INF file to choose under my .android folder.

Any help would be appreciated

would suggest to use this:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1399889

Fee454

Jul 17, 2011
[/COLOR]

This tool will attempt to install the correct Drivers for the Kindle Fire.
It will also perform the setup required for adb_usb.ini in .android for you.

The system cannot find the path specified.
Press any key to continue . . .

I tried to install the drivers for the kindle but i receive the above message

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 PM ----------

My issue is it cannot find my device...where can I find the kindleADB.zip I keep hearing about?

Oct 25, 2009
You should get the same files from the android Sdi. Good luck.

Jcase, I know that you said the unroot button did not work, but is there a method of unrooting?

Fee454

Jul 17, 2011
did you do install_drivers.bat first ?
take a look:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20698002&postcount=283
that should correct the path issue

Yes thank you. Moving it to the same as the run.bat seemed to have worked as it shows online now when running the Kindle Fire Utility. I switched it to fast boot but now seems to have been frozen at the kindle fire logo for quite some time now. I heard you have to switch to fastbook to install TWRP first before rooting?

I am not sure if I should attempt to somehow reboot this as it seems to be stuck at the boot up screen

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For 6.3 see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=24129239

Please do not reupload/redistribute BurritoRoot2/BurritoRoot3, instead link directly to my hosting. I own the server, it will no go away any time soon. This allows me to update it if a bug is found.

BurritoRoot3 is not opensource, it is free, but it is not free to distribute. Please do not redistribute it.

Tested on 6.2, 6.2.1 and 6.2.2

Disclaimer:
    BurritoRoot3 may void your warranty. While it was tested, over and over, a chance of data loss or hardware damage always exists. If something bad happens due to your use of BurritoRoot3, well it is your fault not our's, don't blame any of us.

Wine/Coffee/Device Funding:
    To donate to jcase of TeamAndIRC for BurritoRoot go here:
    http://xdaforums.com/donatetome.php?u=2376614

To donate to pokey900 for the FireFireFire Bootloader go here:
    http://xdaforums.com/donatetome.php?u=466725

Download:
    http://download.cunninglogic.com/BurritoRoot3.apk

BurritoRoot3 is an all in one package, to root and install the custom bootlaoder, FireFireFire, onto the KindleFire.

Instructions are pretty plain and simple, however you will have to get adb working on your own (if you have written, or know of adb guides for the Kindle Fire please PM me to list them here).

ADB GUIDES
    MAC GUIDE: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1443071
    WINDOWS GUIDE: http://www.jayceooi.com/2011/12/13/how-to-install-kindle-fire-adb-usb-driver/
    LINUX GUIDE: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=22067293

What it does:
    Gains root, installs superuser, installs su and installs the FireFireFire bootloader.

At this time, we do not have permission to distribute any recovery, once one is available for our use, we will add auto flashing of recovery.

How to use:

adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp

Run app, follow directions given by the app.

Usage example :

jcase@phenom:~$ adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp <---- This one is important, it may not create BurritoRoot3.bin if this is not done
    jcase@phenom:~$ adb install BurritoRoot3.apk
    4897 KB/s (1151520 bytes in 0.229s)
    pkg: /data/local/tmp/BurritoRoot3.apk
    Success

<go open the app now>

jcase@phenom:~$ adb shell /data/local/tmp/BurritoRoot3.bin --root
    --install - Install su
    Gaining root...
    Installing Superuser APP, if it erros as already exists, please ignore the error.
    pkg: /data/data/net.andirc.burritoroot3/bin/Superuser.apk
    Success
    Restarting adbD as root...
    Please run adb shell /data/local/tmp/BurritoRoot3.bin --install
    jcase@phenom:~$ adb shell /data/local/tmp/BurritoRoot3.bin --install
    --install - Install su
    BurritoRoot3 kroot 0.1 - TeamAndIRC
    Remounting /system...
    Cleaning up, ignore any errors
    rm failed for /system/xbin/su, No such file or directory
    rm failed for /system/bin/su, No such file or directory
    Installing su...
    Remounting /system..
    Root installed
    Starting: Intent { act=android.intent.action.MAIN cmp=net.andirc.burritoroot3/.FireFireFire }
    Please check your Kindle's screen
    jcase@phenom:~$

If you already have root, and want to safely install the FireFireFire bootloader, you can use the app, just install, open/close the app then

adb shell am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n net.andirc.burritoroot3/net.andirc.burritoroot3.FireFireFire

To install the CWR recovery by DoomLord after gaining root:

Download it, and push it to your Kindle

adb push <filename> /data/local/recovery.img
    adb shell dd if=/data/local/recovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/mmci-omap-hs.1/by-name/recovery
    minor news

BurritoRoot will be discontinued shortly, replacing with my FireMOD app.

And you will no longer lose root with OTAs...
    BurritoRoot3 released

Automatic flashing of the bootloader

adb kill-server
    sudo -s
    adb devices

should see it now
    I've searched for a bit and I believe I can do the following but I want to confirm. I am familiar with installing root and custom ROMs on my Captivate but my Kindle Fire is still stock. I want access to the Android market to install apps that I have paid for such as XDA Premium. I have Amazon Prime and access to the lending library which I don't want to lose. I assume I can root with this utility and rootkeeper to unroot (if necessary) to access the lending library and then reroot again to access other apps - correct?

Sounds right