[P6200][Heimdall][April.5.2012] Firmware packages for stock ROMs

Search This thread

aorth

Nov 10, 2010
Nairobi, Kenya
mjanja.ch
Heimdall firmware packages for stock GT-P6200 firmwares

Heimdall 1.3 included support for "Heimdall Firmware Packages," an XML-driven way to define, create, and distribute firmwares. This is a powerful tool for ROM developers, but I haven't seen it being used yet. In order to encourage and support the use of these new firmware packages, I've packaged up a few stock Samsung firmwares for use with Heimdall.

For those that don't know, Heimdall is an open-source, cross-platform tool written by Benjamin Dobell which can flash complete ROMs, kernels, modems, etc to Samsung Galaxy-series devices. It's preferable over Odin as its source code is open and it is therefore undergoing public development, and we can review the code. In comparison, Odin is a closed-source, Windows-only, internal Samsung utility, and what we know very little about it.

Downloads

These are stock ROMs, just as you'd find on Samfirmware or wherever else. I have not modified them other than unpacking and repacking for flashing with Heimdall (meaning they are odexed). If the upstream firmware includes bootloaders, I've included them*. I'll do my best to indicate additional information next to each ROM.

Honeycomb:
  • XXKL7 (3.2)
    • Download: BayFiles
    • md5sum: 53ecbda9dc4f65ff7de6b924d834cfe8
    • Build date: Fri Dec 16 11:35:42 KST 2011
  • DXKL3 (3.2)
    • md5sum: 6601d65f4c3c91f8ea8b096b561e5dc7
    • Build date: Fri Dec 23 11:23:25 KST 2011
  • DXLC1 (3.2)
    • md5sum: 0eefb3a48c6d9550cda6a32ba4e0d99f
    • Build date: Mon Mar 5 09:37:25 KST 2012
*Note: Even though I've included bootloaders you'll be able to remove them in Heimdall's GUI right before flashing, if you so please.

Credits...

Thanks to Benjamin Dobell for writing Heimdall. Thanks to [Ramad] for the idea of listing unadulterated stock ROMs. Thanks to Supercurio for being a role model of openness and transparency. We need more pro-community devs.

Last edited:

aorth

Nov 10, 2010
Nairobi, Kenya
mjanja.ch
Flashing instructions

Flashing instructions

Make sure you've installed Heimdall version 1.3 or higher (1.3.2 seems to have a bug, though, steer clear of that one for now). Do not unzip the firmware package, we open it up directly in the heimdall frontend graphical user interface! This procedure will wipe your device and you will lose all your installed applications. Make a backup of your applications/data with Titanium Backup or whatever before trying!

Step 1: Open Heimdall's frontend (heimdall-frontend on Linux)

Step 2: Load the downloaded tar.gz into Heimdall

mSTp8.png

Step 3: Press "Load / Customize"

Step 4: Boot your tablet into "Download mode" (Volume Down + Power), and connect it to your computer

Step 5 (optional): Customize the installation before flashing by removing or adding different files (such as pre-rooted kernels or different modems)

Step 6: Press "Start"

dWkHn.png

Your tablet will begin to flash and then reboot.

Last edited:

aorth

Nov 10, 2010
Nairobi, Kenya
mjanja.ch
Thanks for this. However, is this for the GT-P6200 or the GT-P6210?

That's for you to decide. :)

Notice, all I've done is take GT-P6200 ROMs and package them as .tar.gz Heimdall packages and uploaded them. That's literally all I've done. I'm not rolling custom ROMs here! These are 6200 stock ROMs. If they're compatible with the 6210 is nothing I've done on purpose.

kmmxracer

Oct 5, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
This is great! I've used Heimdall to restore my wife's sidekick 4g a few times with ease.

Could you give us a little info about what you do to the stock "ROMs" to load them up into this tool?

Sent from my GT-P6210 using xda premium

aorth

Nov 10, 2010
Nairobi, Kenya
mjanja.ch
This is great! I've used Heimdall to restore my wife's sidekick 4g a few times with ease.

Could you give us a little info about what you do to the stock "ROMs" to load them up into this tool?

Sent from my GT-P6210 using xda premium

Actually, Heimdall is ridiculously easy. You should really just give it a try. The stock firmwares unzip into a series of files which correspond to the partitions on the device. See here, the contents of the DXKL3 firmware:
Code:
[aorth@ndechu: ~/Downloads/DXKL3]$ ls
boot.bin  cache.img  factoryfs.img  hidden.img  modem.bin  param.lfs  recovery.img  Sbl.bin  zImage

In Heimdall you just add new files and select which partition they need to be flashed to. It's really simple. Heimdall is way better then Odin. Serious.

asianhigh

Feb 12, 2012
Hi,

New to this. Will the apps be able to run on Windows 7 and would this increase the counter compared to ODIN??? Thanks.

aorth

Nov 10, 2010
Nairobi, Kenya
mjanja.ch
Hi,

New to this. Will the apps be able to run on Windows 7 and would this increase the counter compared to ODIN??? Thanks.

This increases the counter, just like Odin. The motivation for using Heimdall is only that it is open source, and safer than Odin. For now I don't know of any reason that the custom counter could be a problem. When Ice Cream Sandwich comes out we'll just use TriangleAway to reset the counter anyways. ;)

aorth

Nov 10, 2010
Nairobi, Kenya
mjanja.ch
Thanks aorth. :D

Sent from my GT-P6200 using Tapatalk

I forgot to mention in my response that Heimdall is cross platform (but it's in the first post!). Windows. Linux. Mac OS X. It's MOAR better then Odin. Period.

btw...

DXKL3 package added to first post:
  • DXKL3 (3.2)

Last edited:

groovdafied

Feb 3, 2007
Will one of those firmware downloads work for the Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus wifi us? I need to flash my device, but all the multiupload links are not working.

pacoda

Oct 30, 2008
hi aorth,

DXKL3 (3.2)
Download: BayFiles
md5sum: 6601d65f4c3c91f8ea8b096b561e5dc7
Build date: Fri Dec 23 11:23:25 KST 2011

Is this rom(DXKL3) is same to original firmware of GT P6200. or dd U add some extras application or anything???

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Heimdall firmware packages for stock GT-P6200 firmwares

Heimdall 1.3 included support for "Heimdall Firmware Packages," an XML-driven way to define, create, and distribute firmwares. This is a powerful tool for ROM developers, but I haven't seen it being used yet. In order to encourage and support the use of these new firmware packages, I've packaged up a few stock Samsung firmwares for use with Heimdall.

For those that don't know, Heimdall is an open-source, cross-platform tool written by Benjamin Dobell which can flash complete ROMs, kernels, modems, etc to Samsung Galaxy-series devices. It's preferable over Odin as its source code is open and it is therefore undergoing public development, and we can review the code. In comparison, Odin is a closed-source, Windows-only, internal Samsung utility, and what we know very little about it.

Downloads

These are stock ROMs, just as you'd find on Samfirmware or wherever else. I have not modified them other than unpacking and repacking for flashing with Heimdall (meaning they are odexed). If the upstream firmware includes bootloaders, I've included them*. I'll do my best to indicate additional information next to each ROM.

Honeycomb:
    • XXKL7 (3.2)
      • md5sum: 53ecbda9dc4f65ff7de6b924d834cfe8
      • Build date: Fri Dec 16 11:35:42 KST 2011
    • DXKL3 (3.2)
    • DXLC1 (3.2)
      • md5sum: 0eefb3a48c6d9550cda6a32ba4e0d99f
      • Build date: Mon Mar 5 09:37:25 KST 2012
    *Note: Even though I've included bootloaders you'll be able to remove them in Heimdall's GUI right before flashing, if you so please.

Credits...

Thanks to Benjamin Dobell for writing Heimdall. Thanks to [Ramad] for the idea of listing unadulterated stock ROMs. Thanks to Supercurio for being a role model of openness and transparency. We need more pro-community devs.
    Flashing instructions

Flashing instructions

Make sure you've installed Heimdall version 1.3 or higher (1.3.2 seems to have a bug, though, steer clear of that one for now). Do not unzip the firmware package, we open it up directly in the heimdall frontend graphical user interface! This procedure will wipe your device and you will lose all your installed applications. Make a backup of your applications/data with Titanium Backup or whatever before trying!

Step 1: Open Heimdall's frontend (heimdall-frontend on Linux)

Step 2: Load the downloaded tar.gz into Heimdall

mSTp8.png

Step 3: Press "Load / Customize"

Step 4: Boot your tablet into "Download mode" (Volume Down + Power), and connect it to your computer

Step 5 (optional): Customize the installation before flashing by removing or adding different files (such as pre-rooted kernels or different modems)

Step 6: Press "Start"

dWkHn.png

Your tablet will begin to flash and then reboot.
    Flash 4.0.4 with Heimdall

Here is a step by step guide to flash ICS with Heimdall:

1) Download the ROM (change spaces for dots because I can not submit links): www hotfile com/dl/162811167/9e67b52/P6200XXLQ1_P6200OXALQ1_ATO.zip.html

2) Extract the file "P6200OXALQ1_P6200XXLQ1_P6200XXLQ1_HOME.tar.md5" rename it to ""P6200OXALQ1_P6200XXLQ1_P6200XXLQ1_HOME.tar" and extract its contents.

3) From the file indicated in the previous item, extract all files (ie: cache.img, factoryfs.img, hidden.img, modem.bin, recovery.img, Sbl.bin, zImage).

4) Download Heimdall Cli and Heimdall Frontend version 1.3.0 (the latest versions did not work): www glassechidna com au/products/heimdall

5) Install the two programs downloaded in the previous section.

6) Open the Heimdall-Frontend (on Linux, open terminal and type sudo heimdall-frontend) [edited 2013/01/12 because you must be root for this to work]

7) Conect the Tablet with the "Download Mode" (Vol Down + Power).

8) Go to tab "Utilities" and click "detect" and then "Save As" and save the pit.

9) Go to tab "Flash" then "Options" > "Pit" click on "Browse" and select the extracted file in the previous section.

10) Select the name of a partition ("Partition Name"), the file (click "Browse" to choose the corresponding file extracted in step "3") and then "Add". Matches are homonymous, except for the kernel, which corresponds to the file "zImage" and the SBL-1, which corresponds to the SBL.

11) Click "Start" and wait for the tablet automatically reboot.

Reference: "blog.fchabik.com/post/18257300220/flash-your-android-phone-on-linux"
    ps.:
    I. Works perfectly, applications were kept with their settings.
    II. Both the Wifi and the mobile data connection does not change color when connected, ie, remain gray (which seems to be a problem of its own ROM).
    I did write "P6200" in the thread title. ;)

Oh ****, I completely missed that :eek: lol my apologies
    I have the 6200, not the 6210. Can I even use the files provided in the thread you point to?

Here are the files attached. At least in the thread some had said it works on P6200 too.
    Should be safe to first apply the temporary CWM (the one attached) and then the root. Own risk though...