New for the Devs: ROOTED system dump here

Search This thread

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
OK well... I have a linux machine I can use, but I never used ADB on it. if someone wants to walk me through it, I'll do a system dump on linux. If not, well, not much I can do...

Ok, no prob, that is what I do, UNIX and Linux is my thing....

You will go grab the SDK for Linux:
http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

It should detect that you are running linux and give you a button to download for linux.

Then follow this:
http://developer.android.com/sdk/installing/index.html

and this:
http://developer.android.com/sdk/installing/adding-packages.html

You will basically run the command android, from where you installed it and select the correct packages and install them.

These are good things as well:
http://developer.android.com/sdk/exploring.html

NunHugger

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 18, 2009
Des Moines, IA
Reactions: tyshemi

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
A firmware image is needed to gain root build a proper insecure kernel. I'm looking for the same thing for the tmo variant, but Samsung hasn't released the firmware yet...

The source code for the AT&T kernel was released and posted here, and well as the source code for the software, both for the AT&T version are up here in the dev section. Then can be compiled very easily. You would just need to figure out how to create a flash-able tar file for ODIN/heimdall.

It is possible with what we have available right now. I am not sure about the T-MO version though, as I have not looked over in that section.

zaventh

Jul 26, 2010
San Francisco
www.jeffmixon.com
The source code for the AT&T kernel was released and posted here, and well as the source code for the software, both for the AT&T version are up here in the dev section. Then can be compiled very easily. You would just need to figure out how to create a flash-able tar file for ODIN/heimdall.

It is possible with what we have available right now. I am not sure about the T-MO version though, as I have not looked over in that section.

I'm just getting in to kernel hacking on Android, but afaik it is not possible to create a flashable tarball without the initramfs from the phone, which needs to be extracted from the boot partition from the device. You can't extract this from a device without root, so we need a firmware download from Samsung to extract it from instead.

howtomen

Jan 10, 2011
Brea CA
I'm just getting in to kernel hacking on Android, but afaik it is not possible to create a flashable tarball without the initramfs from the phone, which needs to be extracted from the boot partition from the device. You can't extract this from a device without root, so we need a firmware download from Samsung to extract it from instead.

i dont think so fenny fatal is compiling a kernel as we speak using nothing but source...

zaventh

Jul 26, 2010
San Francisco
www.jeffmixon.com
i dont think so fenny fatal is compiling a kernel as we speak using nothing but source...

Yeah, I've already compiled the SGH-T999 kernel too... but the initramfs is the delivery mechanism needed to create an Odin tar. You put the compiled insecure kernel and the ramdisk into the initramfs and flash that. It's the ramdisk portion of the initramfs that we need from a US variant of the S3... maybe the international version can be hacked to work, dunno, but it doesn't work out of the box.

entropism

Jul 21, 2007
Linden, NJ
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Just as an update, last night I uploaded a rooted system.img to FennyFatal. I'm looking into options to host it in the cloud for everyone, so if someone knows a file host that can take up to 1GB files and actually distribute it quickly, let me know.

Artimus009

Apr 30, 2011
Jacksonvillle
Just as an update, last night I uploaded a rooted system.img to FennyFatal. I'm looking into options to host it in the cloud for everyone, so if someone knows a file host that can take up to 1GB files and actually distribute it quickly, let me know.

Try asking one of the devs here to post it for you on the cloud service that xda has for them...I think its called devhost or something to that nature.

SGS3 awaiting some dev love

Reactions: entropism

creepyncrawly

Sep 3, 2010
@entropism, here are dev-host links for both of your dumps. I see NunHugger put up the 7z, but I already had it uploaded so I included it.
system.tar.gz 675.36 MB - MD5 Sum: b2698444d073e6f608bbc1a6fc2440b3
system dump.7z 535.74 MB - MD5 Sum: 8d1d34284a259658f671e8dfdafa3eda

Reactions: entropism

ronj1986

Dec 31, 2008
Queens, NY
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Hi, I'm not used to system dumps. If I download this will I be able to extract the messaging APK as that is what I need + messaging does file. If I am unable to extract them from the system dump, can someone extract them & post for me please?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

ysr84

Sep 11, 2010
Mississauga
Hi Guys,

I have both i747 for Rogers and Bell if anyone would like me to do a system dump please post some steps... I can root the phone and do it for the devs....

Thanks,

Uploading a Rogers System Dump as we speak ...

Can you join the IRC channels we have set up? We're looking for a Rogers dump!

On freenode, the rooms are #attsgs3 and #sgsiii

I'm currently in the process of uploading a Rogers system dump. I sent the link via PM to howtomen, and will let him know the moment it's ready to download.

Peter

Top Liked Posts