smartWatchM v1.2.5.1 (2009-12-13) SE BT Watch MBW-100/150/200, Prada, Citizen, LM95x

Which application do you use?

• btWatch by pcfixitman

Votes: 71 12.5%
  • smartWatchM by moneytoo

Votes: 496 87.5%

• Total voters
Search This thread

moneytoo

Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2007
brouken.com
I have an HTC Athena, it is possible to have connected in the same time the watch and a bluetooth headset? If is possible it will be the perfect combination....

It should work but I don't have any headset so can't check.

I've just tested sWM on HTC Kaiser. I've connected and disconnected the watch many times without single problem or error. Only requirement is restart after pairing/com seting. Communication over incoming port is stable.

I've already implemented bitmap -> hex converter so now Im looking for the right fonts. We need:
1) Probably bold and good readable font, height 16 pixels
2) Smallest and readable font, 8 pixels height (for two lined text output)

Any suggestions?

Dr. Brainiac: Install Resco Explorer with included Registry Editor Plugin. The trial version should be enough.

Last edited:

schaggo

Jan 16, 2008
Zürich
1) Probably bold and good readable font, height 16 pixels
2) Smallest and readable font, 8 pixels height (for two lined text output)
Can it be a pixel font? There are plenty of pixel fonts out there. I'll see what I can find.

I have a question for you: How do i enter the registry values on windows mobile 6 (smartphone)
I can give you my exported registry entries. All you have to do: edit the bluetooth-address string, enter the one of your watch. Then execute the files and it automatically changes and creates the right registry keys. There are several tools available which are able to read registry files. Resco Explorer is probably the best of them, it's commercial though. But the trial will do.

For your convenience, I'll copy moneytoo's instructions and complete them with the registry files.
  1. Backup your registry. Turn off WiFi and/or other network connections.
  2. Delete all BT devices and COM ports. This is not necessary but recommended.
  3. Turn on BT on the watch, then turn on BT on your WM device. Try to pair them. After entering the watches passcode (0000) WM will most probably cancel with a wrong passcode message. Just try again, after the second try it usually works. If it still doesnt work, try disabling BT on watch when you get to the enter passcode screen. Once the devices are paired, turn off BT on the watch.
  4. Check your BT device address. On the PC, rightclick the MBW-150_1.reg file, chose "Edit" and follow instructions in the file. Safe the file and transfer it to your device. Now execute the file MBW-150_1.reg on the PocketPC and merge it to your registry.
  5. Now you can add and assign a new outcoming COM port to your MBW-150 (it must be COM5) in your BT manager. Check the Bluetooth settings, it might be already there. If not, create and assign it (COM 5 on MBW-150).
  6. Now execute the MBW-150_2.reg file. You don't have to edit it, it contains general information.
  7. Now go back into your Bluetooth settings. Check for an incoming COM port. If none exists, add new incoming COM port. It must be COM6. Now softreset/restart your device.
  8. Start smartWatchM and select Start . smartWatchM will output screen messages, telling you to start the communication on the watch.
  9. Turn on BT on the watch, watch the devices screen if smartWatchM produces some communications output. If it doesnt after a couple seconds, press left top button (FF) on the watch.
  10. Few seconds later, the watch is ready. Now you can test vibrate / ring / message events.

Attachments

• MBW-150_regfiles.zip
    1,017 bytes · Views: 234
Last edited:

moneytoo

Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2007
brouken.com
Good work, schaggo ;)
Yeah, "pixel font"... This is the right term. That's I wasnt able to find anything useful using phrase "smallest font". :)

Just a really really small update (v0.1.4.1) - new icon and cab installer.

schaggo

Jan 16, 2008
Zürich
http://www.robbythek.de/pixelfonts5.php offers some. I just really quickly scanned the site and found "Orange Kid" and (I wonder why ;)) "Ericsson GA628" to be good candidates.

The pictures: Since pixel-fonts are created for specific font-sizes they only look good in that size or doubled or trippled etc.
Above how it looks in its 'native' size, below scaled to readable size (usually double the size it's made for)

Damit. Only 4 pictures allowed per post. I have to manually compile a big picture then. Just a sec, I'll attach it later to this post.

Back in the days, when I did webdesign, I remember SEVENET7 and SILKSCREEN to be my favourites. But IMHO Kharon and Teachers Pet looks quite suitable for the task ahead. What do you think?

Attachments

• pixel_fonts.png
    pixel_fonts.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:

Dr. Brainiac

Jan 29, 2008
www.alwinroosen.be
[*]Check your BT device address. On the PC, rightclick the MBW-150_1.reg file, chose "Edit" and follow instructions in the file. Safe the file and transfer it to your device. Now execute the file MBW-150_1.reg on the PocketPC and merge it to your registry.

I installed Resco Explorer with registry editor, edited the reg file, and transfered it to my phone. When i try to execute it with Resco Explorer, it ask to import the file, to which i respond "Yes"

But then i get an error: "The specified file is not a Registry script"

Any ideas? Thank you soo much for your help. I hope i can get it working soon...

EDIT: I looked around and i think i need to enter another first line in the file, but i don't know what. I think it is windows mobile 6 (HTC S710)

Now it is "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" but that is not working for me

If i get this working ill make a decent tutorial on my blog with screenshots for pda-noobs like me ;) and post the link here.

Last edited:

Dr. Brainiac

Jan 29, 2008
www.alwinroosen.be
I got the scripts imported!

It seems you need to open and edit the files with notepad, and not another editor like textpad (what i did first). When i opened them with notepad, and saved them, transfered the files to my phone, it did work.

I have another problem now, i cannot select COM5 for outgoing port, only COM6 and COM7. Any ideas on this one?

Lunatixz

Jul 1, 2006
NYC
Thanks again

Hey Moneytoo
It's Lunatixz from ppcgeeks...
program has been working great... looking foward to your updates...
Is there a chance you will make a version as a windows mobile background service?

BTW please post your paypal donate link

schaggo

Jan 16, 2008
Zürich
I edited the files I used on my own PDA. When you export a part of your registry using Resco Explorer, it adds the same line.
I suspect the editor you used to cause the file to be "corrupted". Not really corrupted, but there is stuff happening in the background your editor (Windows Notepad...) doesnt show. Line breaks for example. I guess, Resco expects a certain format and freaks out if it isnt. And Notepad isnt exactly a splendid editor, now is it... :-/ I'll look into it, give me a moment...

Edit: I didn't see the rest of the thread as I directly responded to your comment. So it was the issue I thought it is. Well done on figuring it out yourself ;)
I have another problem now, i cannot select COM5 for outgoing port, only COM6 and COM7. Any ideas on this one?
Is there already another port named COM5/6? On my device I can chose from COM0 up to COM9. Try deleting the registry keys created, unpair the watch, delete all ports. To actually make windows 'unload' the ports, softreset the device. Once it's back up and running again, start the process from the beginning, eg. pair, 1st reg file, ... Once youre done, softreset again to make windows load the COM ports you've just created.

Last edited:

moneytoo

Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2007
brouken.com
I edited the files I used on my own PDA. When you export a part of your registry using Resco Explorer, it adds the same line.
I suspect the editor you used to cause the file to be "corrupted". Not really corrupted, but there is stuff happening in the background your editor (Windows Notepad...) doesnt show. Line breaks for example. I guess, Resco expects a certain format and freaks out if it isnt. And Notepad isnt exactly a splendid editor, now is it... :-/ I'll look into it, give me a moment...

Edit: I didn't see the rest of the thread as I directly responded to your comment. So it was the issue I thought it is. Well done on figuring it out yourself
This really may not work. I havent tried your reg files but one friend of mine was trying the same (he made his own .reg) without any success. Maybe there is some security restriction so you cant create new keys but only edit.

Dr. Brainiac: It should be fine. Set the incoming/outcoming ports to any COM (you have to set the correct registry entries as well). (restart) Then select the incoming port in smartWatchM menu.

Hi, Lunatixz. ;)
Yeah, I hope I will make sWM as background service but for now it has lower priority. I still have some features on my list I want to implement first.

Donate info added in first post of this thread.

schaggo

Jan 16, 2008
Zürich
That's weird. Because they work on my device without any problems. And it can't be that it's only my device: I swapped my orbit yesterday against a brand new one. The registry files worked like a charm on the brand new orbit...

Dr. Brainiac

Jan 29, 2008
www.alwinroosen.be
Dr. Brainiac: It should be fine. Set the incoming/outcoming ports to any COM (you have to set the correct registry entries as well). (restart) Then select the incoming port in smartWatchM menu.

I only find information about the incoming port in the registry files. My incoming port is COM6, but my outgoing is COM7 instead of COM5.

---

Is it normal that i get errors when i start the smartWatchM application from the menu? Might be because of the outgoing port, but if not, here is some error info:

Code:
Error: System.IO.IOException: something about source-asembly... not found
System.IO.Ports.SerialStream.WinIOError()
System.IO.Ports.SerialStream..ctor() // notice the two dots
System.IO.Ports.SerialPort.Open()
smartWatchM.Form1.menuItem3_Click()
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem.OnClick()
System.Windows.Forms.Menu.ProcessMnuProc()
System.Windows.Forms.Form.WnProc()
System.Windows.Forms.Control._IntervalWnProc()

Dr. Brainiac

Jan 29, 2008
www.alwinroosen.be
Is there already another port named COM5/6? On my device I can chose from COM0 up to COM9. Try deleting the registry keys created, unpair the watch, delete all ports. To actually make windows 'unload' the ports, softreset the device. Once it's back up and running again, start the process from the beginning, eg. pair, 1st reg file, ... Once youre done, softreset again to make windows load the COM ports you've just created.

I have paired a few devices since i got the phone, but no devices are left when i go to the bluetooth settings except for MBW-150.

Is it possible that information is left behind in the registry somewhere when i removed the devices from the bluetooth settings?

If that is the case, how do i make sure i have all ports available again?

Dr. Brainiac

Jan 29, 2008
www.alwinroosen.be
I have found a registry entry which contains the allowed ports. I added COM5 and deleted the registry entries from before. I made sure all deviced are deleted, did a soft-reset and walked through the manual again.

The manual does not mention a soft-reset after settings up the ports, but this seems needed for the application to work.

To sum up: I got it working thanks to you all !!! I'll be making a donation in a minute because i am soo excited, it is truly awesome.

EDIT: in all the excitment i forgot to mention where i added the COM5 port (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Bluetooth\Serial\Ports\SupportedPorts)

onedutch

Apr 24, 2005
New Outgoing Port , only 2 ,4 and 8, Comport 5 gives an error.

EDIT: in all the excitment i forgot to mention where i added the COM5 port (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Bluetooth\Serial\Ports\SupportedPorts)

Hello, I bought the MBW 150 today to get it running on a T-Mobile MDA 2 (Tytn). I performed the following steps:
1- Clean Reset T-Mobile MDA 2 (Tytn) with WWE Schnaps WM6 Rom
2- Resetted the MBW 150 (4 Times Bottom Key, activate Pairing mode by pressing upper key, hold Both key's Up and Down for approx 5-7 seconds till the screen lights up)
3- Made sure that the Tytn is visible enabled "Make this device visible to other devices."
4- MBW 150 in pairing mode (4 Times Bottom Key, activate Pairing mode by pressing upper key)
5- Selected the MBW 150 on the Tytn and pressed next.
6- Used "0000" as the pairing key on the Tytn
7- You will see a cross blinking on the MBW 150 and a message Your device did not connect with MBW0150.
8- Press "Ok" and press next without using a passkey, next screen will appear and press Finish.
9- The Icon for the MBW 150 is a Blue Bluetooth Icon.
10- Alter the Registry files provided in this thread, use the Bluetooth Address on the Back of the MBW 150. Also removed the lines which starts with the ";" which gives the comments what to do.
11- Installed Resco File explorer with the Registry add-on.
12- Tapped the "mbw-150_1.reg" and check the bluetooth Manager.
12- Option to add an outgoing port is available, only ports 2,4 and 8 are possible.

When I checked the proposed Brainiac hyves for "\Ports\SupportedPorts" all entries 0-9 are available. Only when selecting "Com5" I get "The COM port could not be created. Please check your settings and try again" So I sleect COM2 just to try it out, no luck :(

I changed the "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Bluetooth\Serial\Ports\000000xxxxxxxxxxxx\" String Value "Port"= "COM2" to COM5 I soft resetted and in the BT manager it say's Com5. Butt I still not able to use the Smart Watch Software. When I try to Edit this Com5 and again choose Com5 I get the same error as above.

Do I need any .NET framework packages? When I starts it it wants me to download an "NETCFv35.Messages.EN.cab" I think it's a cab which contains all error messages.

Does anyone has any sugestions? Is it possible to use another port (2,4 or 8) instead of port 5? i only see the option to change the Incomming port (Com6 default) and not the outgoing port..

Best Regards Tom from Netherlands.

Big Thank you to Pcfixitman Moneytoo Schaggo

Last edited:

moneytoo

Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2007
brouken.com

onedutch

Apr 24, 2005
Progress, but not satisfying..

@Moneytoo

While waiting for someone to respond (Fast Respons, thank you!) I check the new phone from my GirlFriend (T-Mobile MDA III , aka, Kaiser) with T-mobile original shipped WM6 Dutch Rom. I performed the same steps as mentioned in my posting before (I didn't Clean Reset the Kaiser though) and used the same editted files.
Running and configured in one swift way, CID and new SMS working (How does the menu work on the MBW?? Can I read the new SMS? <<< Never Mind I have read your first posting more thoroughly! Content will be added later) Anyway, I had to give back the phone to my GF... Continues with the hints Moneytoo provided.

1) I checked the registry, entries are really added. I also use the 'Long Press Power Button' to shutdown and restart the device. In some forum threads is a 'Known' issues that you need to soft reset cleanly to activate any registry settings.
2) So the Smart Watch program will check on multiple ports to push any information to the MBW??
3) My workstation @home is an Vista 64bit and I have trouble to use USB and Mobile Device Center, I will try to install the provided .NET link tomorrow.

As a workaround on step 3 i founded a CAB file called "NETCFv2.wce5.armv4i.cab" this however didn;t want to install on the Tytn (not for this processor). So I found another cab called "NETCFv2.wm.armv4i." and installed it. Resetted the Tytn and performed all steps (Except the Clean Reset) removed all devices an registry entries.

I get a different Error message when running SmartWatch:
cabError: System.IO.IOException: An error message cannot be displayed because an optional resource assembly containing it cannot be found
at SerialStream.WinIOError()
at SerialStream..ctor()
at Form1.menuItem3_Click()
etc etc etc
Looks like the same error as "Dr. Brainiac" on page 4, except Brainiac got the COM5 running finally. Does SmartWatch got an Debug of TXT Log file so I can send you any usefull info?

Looks somthing wrong with the used firmware, the Kaiser was running in 5-10 minutes. I will try the .NET download link tomorrow on my work.

If you have any more clues, your allway's welcome!

Regards Tom

Last edited:

schaggo

Jan 16, 2008
Zürich
I get a different Error message when running SmartWatch:
cabError: System.IO.IOException: An error message cannot be displayed because an optional resource assembly containing it cannot be found
at SerialStream.WinIOError()
at SerialStream..ctor()
at Form1.menuItem3_Click()
etc etc etc

Hi tom
Check one of my first post's, I got exactly the same error. I traced it down to now having softreset the device after fiddling with the registry.
I run sWM on a Touch Cruise, Xda orbit 2 respectively. I have OS Version 5.2.1623 Build 19129.0.4.5 and obviously I met all the prerequisites to smoothly run the program. Isn't the Kaiser up to par regarding OS and thus .NET on the machine?
I'd double check the ports, eventually delete them again. SerialStream.WinIOError looks like some stuff going wrong when trying to access (IO) a serial port. What exactly it means, I dunno, ask the honored programmer *bow*
Report back if it worked.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've got a new MBW-150 but it won't connect. I've been using an MBW-150 previously. The screen dimmed. Now I've got a new watch but I cannot seem to connect. I'm using WinMo 6.5.

I figured I needed to either change the device (Settings--> Device) or re-Discover and Pair, but both functions are greyed out on the phone, so that I cannot access them. I'm using smartWatchM v 1.2.6.0 (20100227).

Any hints?

Thanks!
    what device (model) are you using?
    have you aplied the registry fix that is mentioned (HKLM\Software\Widcomm\BTConfig\Services\0001\Auto from 1 to 0 and restart the device ) delete all previous watches from the bt manager
    The rubber wristband on my Music Edition watch broke. Does anyone know where to get a replacement. Obviously I've contacted SonyEricsson, but if you know an online store selling them it would be good.

Thanks!
    I found many wristbands for most of the mbw series and mbw-200 here but the prices are a little hot but they only ship to Germany, I managed to get me one through a friend I have in Germany hope you can too.
    Unless you absolutely need original band, I believe any 20mm springbar wristband/watch strap will do. Tons of different designs are available cheaper and also you can find one that you like better than original one. For example, try eBay, or this shop is pretty good too - http://www.watch-band-center.com

Edit: sorry, just noticed original question was about MBW-150 and not MBW-200 (which is 20mm). Not sure which size MBW-150 is, you may measure it yourself (distance between lugs). As long as it using springbar strap, third party straps should also work.
    Does anyone know if it is possible to display the number calling in large fonts.

If I disable 2-lined Caller ID, no number at all shows, just a blinking phone symbol. If I enable it, the number shows, but only in half size (obviously, as it is a one of two lines). So is it possible to get the number to show despite having 2-lined caller ID disabled?

Thanks!

UPDATE! Suddenly the phone number shows with numbers displayed as a full line. Don't know what was wrong previously.

You use the beta version of smart watch (SmartWatch 1.2.6.0 (the beta version) )?

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=8189457&postcount=2482

one line with big text ;).