Auto-Nooter 3.0.0 (1.1 only)

Search This thread

oldman_58

Jul 13, 2010
Sunny Florida
Has anyone tried to install this over the existing prerooted 1.1 update image that uses CWR? I'm probably about 30 minutes from being a guinea pig and doing it myself.

Edit: Works fine on Nook Color running decad3nce's V1.1.0_r2 rom. The market is actually more recent on decade3nce's rom. Running Autonooter 3.0 downgrades your market. Multi-touch is still not as responsive as in autonootered 1.0.1. I was also running dual boot Nookie Froyo, which remained untouched.

Don't see any real reason to run this if you are already rooted on 1.1. Still excellent work for everyone who wasn't rooted yet.

I just loaded over the existing 1.1 root and it works, new boot animation is very nice but the color nook was better.

Thanks for putting this build together. Wish there were more collaborative effort, things would really start to click with a collective of XDA Brain Power.

novi1991

Aug 4, 2010
Stuck in Recovery

I was on 1.1 and i auto nootered and it worked great. I then tried to use rom manager to flash CWR. I rebooted into recovery and now I cant get out. I click reboot and it puts me back to recovery. Any suggestions?

Homer_S_xda

Dec 5, 2010
Worked great, but I'm still having trouble with YouTube. Installed the version attached ok, but when I start YouTube it just closes. Any hints?

Sent from my LogicPD Zoom2 using Tapatalk

Same thing here. Opened the first time I used it, signed in with my google account no problem. After that YouTube won't open any more. Tried pushing the apk over, still no love.

Another strange thing I noticed is that since upgrading to 1.1 and autonootering the original Angry Birds doesn't show up in the Market anymore. Angry Birds Seasons is there, but not the original. Strange. I restored it from Titanium Backup but it's the 1.4.2 version, not the latest. Can't update it either :(
Load up Titanium Backup and clear data for YouTube. That should fix the quit to desktop.

Homer

jianglai

Dec 2, 2010
I have exactly the same problem. Rebooted into recovery and flashed 1.1GHz kernel, now stuck in recovery....

I was on 1.1 and i auto nootered and it worked great. I then tried to use rom manager to flash CWR. I rebooted into recovery and now I cant get out. I click reboot and it puts me back to recovery. Any suggestions?

jasoraso

May 24, 2007
Salt Lake City, UT
I have exactly the same problem. Rebooted into recovery and flashed 1.1GHz kernel, now stuck in recovery....

I too got stuck in recovery on CWR (I had flashed the recovery using rom manager and then was trying to flash a new kernel) .... I ended up using the images to recover the recovery; and then went 1.0 > 1.0.1 > rooted > CWR > sideload rooted 1.1

I am not 100% sure that my problem was related to this autonooter; but the other accounts seem to indicate that getting CWR to work property if rooted under v.3 seems problematic.

S

sammojohn

Alright. The strangest thing happened.
I have the nook color with 1.1.
I root it with the autonooter and it worked like a CHARM...YAY.
But there is only one tiny issue. My books wont sync and wont download to the device????
What I am gonna do now?? Any issues why?? Or is anyone having the same issue??

Last edited:

lolbombs

Apr 6, 2010
I'm having the same problem with YouTube closing as soon as it's opened. Tried following the directions to uninstall and reinstall with the HTC version...still doesn't open. Any suggestions?

geekaren

May 25, 2008
I'm happy to report my previous post was wrong.

I'm at Barnes & Noble now... in-store features work with auto-nooter 3 installed! Even read free for an hour works. Nice!

Sent from my EVO using XDA App

Reactions: brockster

paleh0rse

Jan 4, 2011
This is not an official 3.0.0 this is just a AN 2.x.x that some modified for 1.1 3.x.x will be available as soon as the last of the kinks in the new system are worked out. This is not officially supported by the AN Team or anyone currently working to get 3.x.x released.

The OP should change the name of this distribution ASAP. Otherwise, there is going to be mass confusion once a genuine AN release comes out.

Or, is it your plan to simply add a higher version number (ie. 3.1.0) to your official AN release in order to distinguish it from this fake?

ewong90

Dec 20, 2009
Alright so it was running fine for a while and then it crashed on me. Upon reboot it gets stuck on the boot animation. Any ideas?

weili3d

Dec 4, 2010
Many thanks gmpower. I reset my nook to factory default (1.0.0), installed the 1.1.0 upgrade, and then applied the auto-nooter. Great work!

Sent from my LogicPD Zoom2 using XDA App

bugeyed1

Dec 24, 2010
Conroe, Tx
Is the A-N 3.0 exactly the same as the ver. before the name change?
I used the interim ver. to get root & 1.1.0 & all is fine.

Cheers,
kev
BTW I have a thread running that mentions the step that is missing in the xda rooting instructions that is in the nookDevs instructions, but there doesn't seem to be any interest in fixing it. The step instructs you to unplug the Nook from the PC & then completely power it off, before inserting the SD & re plugging into PC. Can't imaging why this step was discarded!

Big-A-Rob

Aug 11, 2010
Seattle, Wa
Running the auto-nooter 3.0 now. After fumbling and thinking something was wrong, I saw a few posts on here saying that after the "n" screen it just stays blank for a really long time. Thats what I am seeing. I would like to make a request to add something...anything... to the screen while it is running your script so people are not confused and thinking it is not working or something is wrong. After thinking it was hosed up I tried removing the sd card and booting into stock it gets stuck at the same place. This is pretty risky so could you please add some indication that it is doing something so people are not stopping it prematurely. Thanks.

ericejs

Nov 29, 2010
This worked great now a couple quick questions....

1) I downloaded launcher pro and the dock still has the phone and contacts icons... how can I get rid of those? I old down and hit change shortcut, but it doesnt do anything.

2) how can I upload all of my google contacts onto my nook?

3) I've heard that you can change the screen refresh rate on a rooted NC... I would love this because I notice flicker rather easily on my NC... how would I do this?

any help is appreciated, thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    *ALL THE USUAL DISCLAIMERS AND WARNINGS*

*THIS IS FOR VERSION 1.1 ONLY, DON’T TRY ON 1.0.0 OR 1.0.1*

Credit goes to: GabrialDestruir for the original auto-nooter, GLa’DOS for the boot animation, pokey9000 for nooter, Mistar Muffin for Market and GTalk Fix, clockworx for the “non-ugly” patch that is used to get androidID, mastapsi for testing and coding of the original auto-nooter, lewellyn for coding, [mbm] for ABI Fix, Hotaru for the Gingerbread keyboard, rpollard00 for DroidX keyboard with bigger font, bpk for Soft Keys, Ben74 for NookColor Tools which enables Non Market Installs and re-enable of ADB , Freenode's #nookcolor chat for code checking. A special thanks to all developers out there, without all of you this community would not be as great as it is.

Please Note: If you are the developer of an app that is included in this work, and would like me to remove it, feel free to contact me.

*I am copying the following step from the original auto-nooter, because they are tried and true, and people are already familiar with seeing them*

What it does:
    Installs su and Superuser.apk
    Installs Busybox with whoami
    Installs Softkeys 3.0.6
    Installs NookColor Tools (To Enable Non-Market Installs, and re-enable ADB)
    Installs Calendar and Calculator.
    Installs Android Market, Gmail, Youtube
    Installs Gingerbread Keyboard
    Enable ADB
    Enable Multi-touch for Android Apps
    Enables Live Wallpapers
    Enables Android Market and Gmail.
    App Auto Install (Open up NooterFiles from sdcard drop in /data/app)

Known Problems
    :
    With the version 1.1 update, ADB will not stay active after a reboot or unplug of the cable. To enable each time you want to use it, you will have to go into NookColor Tools /All Settings/Development/USB debugging, you will have to uncheck the box and then recheck it.

How to Use:

Before you begin:

* To update to 1.1 you must do a complete wipe.
    * You must update to 1.1 to use Auto-Nooter 3.0.0 Instructions HERE.

1 You must already have a registered NOOKcolor
    2 You must have a Gmail/Youtube linked Account. IF you used a Gmail account for B&N Registration you should use that one for this process.
    3 You must either have dd (Linux) or WinImage (Windows) software.
    4 You must have an external microSDCard reader or this will not work. Do NOT use the NC.
    5 You must have enough intelligence to follow instructions.

Let's get started:

1 Download Auto-Nooter from here: MultiUpload or MediaFire
    *MD5 FB74865663B8D797A486A85022FAD9B2*
    2 Linux: Unzip and use dd if=auto-nooter-3.0.0.img of=/dev/sdcard
    2 Windows: Unzip and use WinImage to "Restore Virtual Hard Disk Image" to your SDcard.
    2 Windows Alternative: https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download
    3 Unplug your NOOKcolor from computer. (If Plugged in.)
    4 Insert AutoNooter SDcard into your NOOKcolor.
    5 Plug the USB cable into your computer and your NOOKcolor. (This will boot up the NOOKcolor.)
    6 Your NookColor will reboot when it's done.

That was the hard part, now to the simple stuff.

7 Upon boot unlock your screen.
    8 At the Android Welcome Screen skip Sign In.
    9 Enable Location Services when given the option.
    10 Connect to Wifi and launch Youtube from "Extras".
    11 Click the Menu button (The one RIGHT of the Up Arrow).
    12 Select "My Channel" and Login using your Gmail Account.
    13 Exit Youtube and Launch Gmail from "Extras".
    14 Sync your Gmail Account and Exit. (If it fails to sync that is fine.)
    15 Open up Market and Accept Terms and Service.

If you made it this far your nook should be successfully Rooted. Go Download an App to make sure.

16 Enable Non-Market Installs by running the NookColor Tools App.
    17 If your Youtube fails to launch, download the attached EVO HQ, and follow this code in adb
    Code:
    adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
    adb uninstall com.google.android.youtube
    adb push YouTube.apk /system/app
    adb reboot

18 Go to Settings > Device Info > SdCard > UnMount > Format

Complete Wipe:
    1 8 Failed Boots > Wipes /system
    2 Factory ResetFactory Reset > Wipes /data
    *You must do both of these to completely wipe clean your NOOKcolor.*

*Before anyone starts to say that I took this project away from GabrialDestruir, I posted this file in the original post, and sent the OP a PM asking to update the current project. I have yet to hear back, and the post was not updated. My post can be found HERE, dated February 2, 2011. I felt that this would be of a benefit to the community, so I am posting it now. If I am asked at some point to take it down I will do so at that time.*
    Can somebody please tell me how I can disable Soft Keys? They are not fully functional and I'd like to get rid of them.

A couple of times in the past a window would pop up asking me what I wanted to use as my Home button, and I picked my launcher and disabled the Soft Keys. But somehow the Soft Keys are back and I would like to disable them.

Set up Softkeys right and it works just fine.

http://nookdevs.com/index.php?title=NookColor_Default_Launcher
    So has anyone used Dalgrin's OC with this? What needs to be done to get an OC?

I have.

You need to install clockwork mod recovery. You can do that by getting Rom Manager from the market, opening it up and flashing CWR (the top item in Rom manager). But before booting into recovery (the second choice in Rom Manager), exit out of rom manager, shut down the nook and turn it back on (reboot normally).**

Then, download the kernal you want, save on your SD card (I set up a folder in clockwork on my SD card... usually under the downloads folder I put a kernal folder using Astro). Then go into Rom Manager and boot into recovery (the 2nd choice).

Now do a nandroid backup in CWR.

after done backing up, choose the Install zip from sdcard option, and find the kernal zip and install.

You'll also need SetCPU in the market.

** - if you don't reboot after flashing CWR, and you reboot directly into recovery, you'll get into a CWR boot loop where you'll need to flash the CWR_removal zip file locted in the Monster root thread. so just do a normal reboot your nook after flashing CWR and you'll avoid this.

Editted to add: I'm in no way trying to be a thread cop (as I'm participating in it)... but a lot of this discussion is off the topic of the AN3.0. Imagine you trying to find info about how to root your nook with 3.0 and having to wade through gift card and recovery talk. [/off soap box... sprains ankle]
    I'd say it's a typo and should be v1.1?
    11th from the top... manual nooter! Just a short look and you would have found it.

It's dead simple.

In case you want to revert, try this. If it worked coming from my CM7 setup, it'll work coming from your 1.2 stock setup.