[Q] extreme soft brick?

Search This thread

Brian2177

Nov 16, 2010
Philadelphia
OK, this does not contain any command that would tell the bootloader to always boot to the recovery. That means that either such bootloader commands are stored somewhere else, or that your Android kernel may be broken. Unfortunately, little is known about the bootloader's secrets, so I can only try poking around in the dark until someone more competent shows up. :)

Have you already tried to flash a new kernel? Which firmware version or custom ROM and/or kernel is currently installed?

It's on unrooted stock jellybean. I haven't tried flashing a new kernel because I couldn't get to fastboot and the recovery freezes and reboots everytime I try to flash anything from there.

I can't access the external SD card from adb shell or recovery and everytime I push something to the device via adb and reboot the file I pushed is gone after it starts up again.

Thank you for the help.

Last edited:

_that

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Oct 2, 2012
The output is:

C:\Users\brian\Desktop>adb shell ls /dev/block/mmc*
/dev/block/mmcblk0p3

Looks like the same problem as here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1971988

TWRP cannot initialize your internal eMMC card, so you can't flash anything. If you try to do it anyway, it will write to the ramdisk instead, and if that is full, the system simply reboots because it runs out of memory.

Can you describe step by step what you did to get your tablet from "working" into this state? Which exact firmware version is installed? Does the bootloader version match? (does it output its version number if you hold volume-down when powering on?) Which TWRP version?

Brian2177

Nov 16, 2010
Philadelphia
Looks like the same problem as here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1971988

TWRP cannot initialize your internal eMMC card, so you can't flash anything. If you try to do it anyway, it will write to the ramdisk instead, and if that is full, the system simply reboots because it runs out of memory.

Can you describe step by step what you did to get your tablet from "working" into this state? Which exact firmware version is installed? Does the bootloader version match? (does it output its version number if you hold volume-down when powering on?) Which TWRP version?

The bootloader version doesn't show up when it's booting. It goes from "device is unlocked" straight into twrp.
I can't get to the os to check the firmware version, it's the latest firmware for the us region.
the twrp version is v2.2.1

When I got the device a few months ago it was on 4.04. I unlocked the bootloader using the asus tool, rooted it(can't rememberr what tool I used it was months ago) then installed the trwp recovery. When the jellybean update came out I downloaded it from the asus site, unzipped it, dropped it on my sdcard, updated. A few days ago the os started gettting buggy so I booted with the vol down and power button and selected wipe, it crashed, and wouldn't do anything but boot into recovery from there.

---------- Post added at 07:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

I just looked at the thread you linked, it looks like exactly the same problem I'm having, I'm getting the same output from "cat /proc/partitions" and the "dmesg|grep mmcblk0" command.

_that

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Oct 2, 2012
A few days ago the os started gettting buggy so I booted with the vol down and power button and selected wipe, it crashed, and wouldn't do anything but boot into recovery from there.

I see, another brick caused by "wipe data". Now if someone could explain what "wipe data" exactly does, we could maybe find out how to unbrick this.

You still have a working kernel and remote root access, so in theory it could be possible to recover, maybe if someone writes a special kernel module.

Reactions: Brian2177

Brian2177

Nov 16, 2010
Philadelphia
I see, another brick caused by "wipe data". Now if someone could explain what "wipe data" exactly does, we could maybe find out how to unbrick this.

You still have a working kernel and remote root access, so in theory it could be possible to recover, maybe if someone writes a special kernel module.

I just saw the other thread about the same problem here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=35370860#post35370860

I think it's time to order another tablet.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    the recovery freezes and reboots everytime I try to flash anything from there.

Please check the output of

Code:
    adb shell ls /dev/block/mmc*

You should get at least mmcblk0 and mmcblk0p1 to mmcblk0p8.
    A few days ago the os started gettting buggy so I booted with the vol down and power button and selected wipe, it crashed, and wouldn't do anything but boot into recovery from there.