Damn it - Nexus 10 has light bleed!!!!

Search This thread

Tomatoes8

Jun 10, 2012
That's a shame, that's hope it's only a bad first batch cos i was soo looking forward to having one of these, but I suspect they concentrated on resolution and PPI so much that the other factors of the screen may have been overlooked, or should I say given less attention.

I don't even think it's a bad first batch, he is the only one so far.Well, and Engadget but who knows if Engadget is for real, they have been horrible lately.

There might be a wifi signal issue going on with the mimo wifi though.

cspiby

Jun 10, 2011
Do enough people have them yet?

I'd like to see one without bleed for comparison.

Tomatoes8

Jun 10, 2012
Do enough people have them yet?

I'd like to see one without bleed for comparison.

So far there have been a few in the initial impressions thread, a few in the battery life sucks thread, a few in the I am returning it because it doesn't charge while I game thread, and few complaining about wifi. So it is about 10 no light bleed to your 1 at worst. At best it could be 20 no light bleed to your 1 light bleed, unless they just don't notice it and you are extra sensitive, which could be the case. You won't know until you get your replacement.

Of course those are not the most flattering threads, but the only real problem out of those is the wifi connection, but that thread disappeared to Q & A and the Nexus 10 uses the latest wifi technology so it is supposedly better than most at it so we will see.

A positive is that the guy who returned it because it doesn't charge while he is gaming said it was absolutely perfect otherwise, which is what I am expecting out of mine when it comes.

Reactions: Vertron

Blown 89

Aug 10, 2010
Mine has pretty bad light bleed. I'll play with it for a few days and see if it bothers me enough to return it.

Edit: my Tab2 doesn't have it at all and it's so bad you can see it on nearly every screen. Something like this shouldn't have gone out so looks like an RMA for me. Everything else works wonderfully :(

Last edited:

rookiegenius

Jul 7, 2012
it's not like the first batch tend to have bugs etc... It's just you're lucky or not. buy now or later.. it's the same.

Reactions: B|acknd

EYEramid

Jun 17, 2010
Check out mine, looks better in real life
But I don't know if I can live with it
What do you all think uploadfromtaptalk1353103220195.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Blown 89

Aug 10, 2010
Check out mine, looks better in real life
But I don't know if I can live with it
What do you all thinkView attachment 1487469

Mine is about the same. I read books on Google Books every night with a black background in bed and with that on with the black pages it's really bad with the lights out. It makes every page look like they have gradients. Hopefully the replacements are better. I already have an RMA scheduled.

Last edited:

EYEramid

Jun 17, 2010
Do you get to keep the old one before you get the new one, or do you you have to send it back right away

Blown 89

Aug 10, 2010
Do you get to keep the old one before you get the new one, or do you you have to send it back right away

They had me send the old one back and said they'd send a new one once the old one was received. The rep also told me there was a 2-3 week wait on replacements but then back-tracked and said they had some in stock. Given that, I have no clue how long all of this will take.

Reactions: EYEramid

Blown 89

Aug 10, 2010
Thanks

I take that back. They made a mistake on the RMA and filed it under "Buyer's Remorse". The RMA form didn't sound quite right so I called back and they're sending me a link to get a new one. Once that is received I send back the old one. At least their customer services is on the ball

Last edited:

jayrrockx

Jul 30, 2009
Solo just got mine....here's my light bleed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1353107284110.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353107284110.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 614

diverblue

Jan 16, 2011
This light bleed issue is a real shame :( Was really looking forward to purchasing one of these! I'll reserve my final decision until I've had some hands on time with one...but things aren't looking promising.

rookiegenius

Jul 7, 2012
I take that back. They made a mistake on the RMA and filed it under "Buyer's Remorse". The RMA form didn't sound quite right so I called back and they're sending me a link to get a new one. Once that is received I send back the old one. At least their customer services is on the ball

thank god. At least I can play with the current one while waiting for the replacement.

cspiby

Jun 10, 2011
Ergh, not good that others are suffering with this, I'd rather I was just unlucky with the one I got and it wasn't a widespread issue.

It does seem its possible to get one without light bleed though as nobody has reported it on another forum I use.

They have arranged my RMA in such a way that I will get the replacement delivered and they will collect the old one. The lead time is abut a week.

Google Pre-authed my Cc of or another £319 mind you in case I don't return the faulty one.

Vertron

Jul 30, 2010
These light bleed photos look awful and it seems alot more common than I hoped. I'm now considering getting a Note 10.1 for around £260 instead where backlight bleed is quite rare from what I've read. Black level > resolution imo.

rookiegenius

Jul 7, 2012
These light bleed photos look awful and it seems alot more common than I hoped. I'm now considering getting a Note 10.1 for around £260 instead where backlight bleed is quite rare from what I've read. Black level > resolution imo.

true my note 10.1 doesnt have light bleed at all :(

I still prefer the nexus lots more tho. Will get it exchanged till I get a satisfying one :(

philbrewer

Nov 7, 2010
Received mine today. It also has light bleed. I immediately noticed it on first power on. Will update with pics asap.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What is exactly "light bleed"?
    Background light inconsistency.

5060128160_802f0c4f36.jpg
    nope, was full brightness on all 3
    yes, that is just how big the difference is.

the iPad has a little light bleed as well which you can see if crank up the brightness on whatever you view the picture on (bottom right and top right in particular) but the black level is just much MUCH blacker which is why the visibility is so low in the picture.

incidentally I did end up exchanging my iPad for a replacement too because it had 1 dead pixel and 1 stuck pixel so I'm not trying to claim iPads are flawless either but when it comes to backlighting there's just no comparison

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the display itself on the nexus 10. Its as good as it gets on a tablet form. The display on the nexus can push the same levels on blacks as the retina display.. And in many ways the nexus 10 display is better for picture quality. Now,... What makes apples new iPad seem as a better display, is simply because they are better in the assembly/connecting the display to the iPad. They managed to align it in way causing minimal stress to the display,. And that's to me where apple really shines through,.. They are consistent in their quality of making their products. Its herein 95% of all backlight bleeding occur. The backlight bleeding in the nexus 10 is NOT caused by a bad display,.. But it IS caused by BAD assembly from factory. It takes only just a little uneven pressure on the display to cause the backlight bleeding.
    And the way the nexus 10 is put together, makes it like winning the lottery to find one without backlight bleeding. That said it is possible to eliminate the backlight bleeding. I fixed my display myself, removing 98% og the backlight bleeding,. Bad news is, that its not an easy fix, because of the way the display was assembled. It takes alot of patience and fiddling, and you'll be without warranty if you break something trying to fix it.

So long story short,.. The display on the nexus 10 is flawless,... It's the way they made room for it that sucks. After taking the nexus apart I will almost guarantee that more than 90% of the complaints people make of their backlight bleeding problems, is coming form their bottom right and/or left corner, as this is where they made everything so narrow that its almost impossible not causing any stress to the lower/bottom of the display.

Now a word of advice,... If you only have backlight bleeding on highest brightness but no bleeding on the lowest brightness,.. No reason to try fix it,. You won't be able to see the backlight bleed in the daytime anyways, and in low/no light environment you should use the lowest settings on brightness for optimum picture performance anyways. And that's (to me) where the display really shines through, with its ability to render crisp details in low brightness. And actually its more the cell light you set up and down (when adjusting the brightness in android) than it is the brightness of the display.

TechGeek over and out:)

OK here are some photos. The best I could do in a dark room shooting with my Nexus 4.
    I think people just want to love this tablet so much and are trying to convince themselves that the defects aren't "that bad". Don't try to justify it, just send it back or get a refund.
    Any LCD with a backlight will suffer from light bleed to some extent even the iPad3 retina (just Google for the pictures). Obviously, something to check for and exchange if it's significant. The pictures on The Verge don't show any signs of it and the pixel level comparison shows the Nexus 10 display to be superior in black level, colors and sharpness against retina.