Very easy way to stop battery draining on TF101

Search This thread

cutterfly

Mar 10, 2012
Hi guys,
Please be patient with me, if this method is already well known, but as I neither found it here nor at one of my preferred german forums, I'll post it:

Since I updated from Honeycomb to ICS I have been extremely disappointed about the battery drain. My transformer never got to deep sleep, etc. YES, I KNOW there are several threads about this, talking about cpuspy, autoflightmode and so on, BUT for sure in my case and also for many many others the deep sleep problem hasn't to do anything with wlan...

So I tried several custom roms (actually I'm running Revolver 4) because I knew from the past, when Honeycomb itself has had this annoying problem, Revolver did it for me.
Well, Revolver 4 didn't...

So I did the following, please read carefully and don't only check IF this value is set at your devices and discard:

Go to developer settings (I'm german, may be my description doesn't match exactly) . There should be a point "display always on" or equal. The checkmark is NOT checked, when first installed stock or Revolver BUT for some reason I don't know, the transformer doesn't recognizy it's empty state. This is why it never sleeps and always wakes on mouse movement, etc. So you have to do the following easy steps: Check the checkmark (in words: ENABLE display always on) and directly after that (no need to switch to homescreen first) DISABLE it again.
This should solve the annoying problem with deep sleep and battery drain.
You can test it by turning off your display, wait several seconds, maybe up to a minute, and try keypress or mouse movement. You may NOT have the cable plugged in, it only works if on battery usage. The trasformer now should not wake up and after refreshing cpuspy stats you should see some seconds more deep sleep.

I hope this has helped someone as I for myself spent hours with autoflightmode and so on until I found out this simple and a bit strange trick.

greets,
Cutterfly

goodintentions

Aug 14, 2010
Hi guys,
Please be patient with me, if this method is already well known, but as I neither found it here nor at one of my preferred german forums, I'll post it:

Since I updated from Honeycomb to ICS I have been extremely disappointed about the battery drain. My transformer never got to deep sleep, etc. YES, I KNOW there are several threads about this, talking about cpuspy, autoflightmode and so on, BUT for sure in my case and also for many many others the deep sleep problem hasn't to do anything with wlan...

So I tried several custom roms (actually I'm running Revolver 4) because I knew from the past, when Honeycomb itself has had this annoying problem, Revolver did it for me.

So I did the following, please read carefully and don't only check IF this value is set at your devices and discard:

Go to developer settings (I'm german, may be my description doesn't match exactly) . There should be a point "display always on" or equal. The checkmark is NOT checked, when first installed stock or Revolver BUT for some reason I don't know, the transformer doesn't recognizy it's empty state. This is why it never sleeps and always wakes on mouse movement, etc. So you have to do the following easy steps: Check the checkmark (in words: ENABLE display always on) and directly after that (no need to switch to homescreen first) DISABLE it again.
You can test it by turning off your display, wait several seconds, maybe up to a minute, and try keypress or mouse movement. You may NOT have the cable plugged in, it only works if on battery usage. The trasformer now should not wake up and after refreshing cpuspy stats you should see some seconds more deep sleep.

I hope this has helped someone as I for myself spent hours with autoflightmode and so on until I found out this simple and a bit strange trick.

greets,
Cutterfly

This explains why I never had this problem but other people say they did. The first thing I did after I upgraded was go into the settings and played around with all these settings to make sure everything was what I wanted. So, without knowing it, I solved a problem before it even became a problem.

Good job in noticing this!

eminembdg

Jan 10, 2008
Philly
Hi guys,

greets,
Cutterfly

You're a friggen genius! This worked instantly

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using xda premium

eminembdg

Jan 10, 2008
Philly
How did you discover this fix? Also, have contacted Asus about this? They may not know yet....

cutterfly

Mar 10, 2012
How did you discover this fix? Also, have contacted Asus about this? They may not know yet....

I discovered this by pure chance. After I noticed it I installed several times fresh stock, fresh Revolver, fresh Revolution HD. In all cases it has been the thing with the display setting. So I thought it to be worth to tell you here.

I didn't inform ASUS or some of the great developers of custom roms here, because I also can't believe it to be that easy. I know from OLD programming languages, that you have to declare a boolean in a function to be true or false state, otherwise it will be ignored, but I hardly believe Java / Android would have such old problems. So I just hope my trick will work until someone verifies this to be the original problem or will supply us with a better workaround.

greets,
Cutterfly

eminembdg

Jan 10, 2008
Philly
Well it's working for me. I sent Asus an email and linked to your solution here on xda.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using xda premium

Sziehr

Dec 11, 2007
Are you talking about "Stay Awake (Screen will never sleep while charging)? I don't see anything else under Developer options.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

aus2010

May 17, 2011
Are you talking about "Stay Awake (Screen will never sleep while charging)? I don't see anything else under Developer options.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I think he's talking about this,

1/Settings
2/Developer Options
3/Stay Awake option
4/If this option is unticked then tick it
5/Now untick the option immediately
6/Return Home
7/Test it.

Anyway this worked for me. Thanks OP :)

browngeek

Mar 16, 2010
Hong Kong
Also doesn't seem to work for me.

Tried the OP's suggestion, then I had my tablet turned off. Before turning off the tab battery was at about 83% and the keyboard battery was at about 30%.

Boot up tablet and now tablet battery is at 94% and keyboard battery is at 3%.

Seems the tablet was being charged while it was off. This has never happened before. Running ARHD Rom.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

cutterfly

Mar 10, 2012
Hey folks,
I'm sorry if it doesn't work for all, but when talking about "turning off" and "rebooting" it would be interesting to know what exactly you mean.
Do you really turn off and reboot the next day? I for myself use to short press power button, this isn't really "turning off" the tablet. It sets the tablet in deep sleep mode after about 30 seconds (so you could easily resume your work by just a finger stroke during the first seconds when the screen gets dark, but if you don't do so, it will fall asleep).
The keydock of course loads the tablet while "turned off" (same as while awake) if its capacity is more than 3%, that's absolutely normal behaviour, so if someone didn't see this before it is CAUSED by the bug: Of course if there is just 216mhz mode with higher power consumption over night than capacity, it won't look like something has been loaded at all.

I then short press the power button (i. e. the next morning) again and the tablet wakes up.
So I really wonder why someone (apart from those who have the draining bug) should really restart the tablet.

BTW: Yes, I definately mean the point "stay awake" which here in germany is described as "display will never fall asleep while loading". I think the problem is the following: This setting is visually set to "not active/disabled" while it is internally set as "true". So if one doesn't touch this after a fresh ICS installation, every time we are docked, the tablet "thinks": Okay, I get loaded (by dock), therefor I just darken the screen but don't really turn it off, and while screen is on I cannot fall into deep sleep and have to stay at 216 mhz all the time"
If then the user itself enables and disables the checkmark, it is internally set as false and everything works fine (at least for me).
Only thing I still dislike: While plugged, my tablet will stay in 216mhz mode all night long. I don't know why but this doesn't matter too much for me, as the power it gets while plugged is much more than the consumption it uses to stay at 216 mhz so my tablet is although fully loaded during some hours. As I told you in my first post, you cannot test this (neither touchpad awake nor deep sleep mode) while plugged. You need to test this while on battery usage.

greets,
Cutterfly

Last edited:

browngeek

Mar 16, 2010
Hong Kong
Dear OP

Wasn't meant to knock you in any way, it seems your method is working for many people.

When I say "turning off" I mean shutting it down completely, rather than putting it in standby.

I was under the impression that when the tablet is completely shut down no battery should be draining from the dock.....

goodintentions

Aug 14, 2010
Dear OP

Wasn't meant to knock you in any way, it seems your method is working for many people.

When I say "turning off" I mean shutting it down completely, rather than putting it in standby.

I was under the impression that when the tablet is completely shut down no battery should be draining from the dock.....

If your TF still drains while the tablet is completely shut down, then you have a hardware problem.

Reactions: browngeek

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys,

greets,
    Cutterfly
    Dear OP

If your TF still drains while the tablet is completely shut down, then you have a hardware problem.