Android 4.2.2 OTA Update

Search This thread

planet_x69

Jul 7, 2011
ADB and 4.2.2

If you haven't already, install these ADB files:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=37892511&postcount=1

The 16.01 ADB files will upgrade your ADB to the most current and will save you lots of aggravation when you attempt to adb after installing 4.2.2 due to the new security feature in debug.

Fastboot in unaffected and you can still flash your custom recovery and then root, but you will need the updated ADB files and click accept on your tablet to allow USB debuggin and then adb will work normally and won't show "offline" after applying 4.2.2 if you are running older version of ADB.

Enjoy.

---------- Post added at 11:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

You have to do it up to 6-7 times. Clear google services framework data (first force close) and then check for updates. Repeat this process untill the update shows up.

Or just go into apps clear google services framework data once- no force quit and reboot by holding power down on that screen, simpler and works nearly 100% of the time for folks.

jblasrsx

Aug 14, 2010
I have tried to install using CWMR and the file in the D/L link, I also had the system update come up for me and I tried to to ADB sideload in CWMR and all failed the same with this message:

apply_patch_check("/system/lib/hw/power.manta.so". **bunch of letters and numbers**)
error 7

Anyone know what this is and how to fix it so I can flash to the 4.2.2 update?

jaykeeley

Sep 10, 2010
Leeds
I'll try. You're going to be unzipping the updater file you downloaded, digging down through a bunch of folders, locating a text file, and editing it to add one # before one line in the file. Then you're going to rezip the folder, creating a new updater file, which is what you use to install the update. Work on a copy of the updater zip file, so if you mess up you can always go back and try again with a fresh copy. I actually added a "P." before the filename, so I could always tell the difference between the fresh unpatched version and my patched version. So the copy I worked on was renamed to "P.eaef14432ff5.signed-mantaray-JDQ39-from-JOP40D.eaef1443.zip". You can keep track of things however you like; the actual name of the zip file you use to install doesn't matter (though it must end in .zip). You could call it 422-Patched.zip if you like, as long as its contents are correct.

The file you need to modify is in the following path once you unzip the installer.

Code:
eaef14432ff5.signed-mantaray-JDQ39-from-JOP40D.eaef1443/META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script

The file "updater-script" is a text file. You open it up in a text editor, and search for the line:

Code:
assert(apply_patch_check("/system/bin/debuggerd", "dd19656a48ae694df853ea3a20f795c7138380a5", "81be257084ea529fb40de6cd4c8752e8066945d2"));

You're going to add a # at the beginning of the line, turning it into this:

Code:
#assert(apply_patch_check("/system/bin/debuggerd", "dd19656a48ae694df853ea3a20f795c7138380a5", "81be257084ea529fb40de6cd4c8752e8066945d2"));

Then you save your changes, quit the text editor and use a zip program to repackage the "eaef14432ff5.signed-mantaray-JDQ39-from-JOP40D.eaef1443" folder back into the "eaef14432ff5.signed-mantaray-JDQ39-from-JOP40D.eaef1443.zip" file.

Things that can get you in trouble. (1) The updater-script has unix/linux line endings (LF); if you edit the file in Windows, make sure you don't change the line endings! All you have to do is locate the line to edit, add the # and save the file, you don't have to add extra lines or anything else.I did this on a Mac, which uses the same line endings as Android. Someone here who uses Windows, which doesn't use the same line endings as Android, can chime in with any special instructions regarding preserving existing line endings in a Windows text editor if necessary. (2) You do NOT want to add any extra files in by accident before you rezip the folder back into a zip file. I use a Mac OS computer, and opening folders in the Finder can often add invisible .ds_store files into a folder. You may be better off leaving the freshly unzipped folder alone and just navigating to, opening, and saving the updater-script file from within your text editor.

Good luck; it worked for me.

---------- Post added at 11:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 PM ----------

That's all I edited, and just the single line gets a # added at the beginning to turn it into a comment instead of an instruction.

What error message did you get? "Installation aborts" doesn't give me any hints to help you.

(And see if my just-left-message to usrbrv8 with instructions is any help)

This seems like what I tried, but it didn't work, and the only info I got that it didn't work was "Installation Aborted". Just got the OTA from google, flashed it and that also said "Installation Abort" and "Error" and now I get "No Command" when I turn it on :crying: Looks like I'm flashing stock

tvBilly

Dec 22, 2009
Sorry to hear that it didn't work, even with the OTA, and that the error message was so useless. A flash to stock and then update should work; sorry you have to go through it all though.

shotta35

Nov 30, 2008
NYC & Germany
Just came home and had the 4.2.2 OTA waiting for me on my Stock Nexus 10 32GB. Tried the reset method probably 20 times since it came out and didn't get nothing so I gave up, just gonna play with it now. :)

Mr.Symbol

Mar 27, 2009
I manage to get the update again (clear data and force close of google services framework) but...I can't install the update...
Please have a look at the attached pictures and please HELP ME

How can I solve this errors? :(

E: Invalid command argument
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E: failed to verify whole-file signature
E:signature verification failed
Installing update...
Verifying current system...
assert failed: apply_patch_check( "/system/app/Chrome.apk". "1ebd7.........., " 5d92a...........")
E:Error in /cache/eaef14432ff5.signed-mantaray-JDQ39-from-JOP40D.eaef1443
(Status 7)
Instalation aborted.

Attachments

• 20130214_201542.jpg
    20130214_201542.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 398
  • 20130214_201550.jpg
    20130214_201550.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 393
Last edited:

dberthia

Apr 6, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I manage to get the update again (clear data and force close of google services framework) but...I can't install the update...
Please have a look at the attached pictures and please HELP ME
It's trying to verify that your system is stock before performing the update. Looks like it's telling you that Chrome has been modified from the stock image. Do you have a backup of Chrome from before you modified/moved it?

Mr.Symbol

Mar 27, 2009
It's trying to verify that your system is stock before performing the update. Looks like it's telling you that Chrome has been modified from the stock image. Do you have a backup of Chrome from before you modified/moved it?

I have a back-up of chrome from December....I did restore that one...but the same error :(

Now the first part with :" E: failed to verify whole-file signature" is gone...
But Chrome error is still there and I can't install the update :(
Where can I find stock Chrome for nexus 10?

Or...What can I do without a factory reset?
Thank you

*my bootloader is locked :(

Last edited:

pauleandro

Dec 3, 2010
Clear data of Google services framework twice and got the update...

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app

Koguchi9

Feb 22, 2012
I am still running the latest youtube update on my stock 4.2.1.(haven't got my OTA yet in Calif.) It is youtube version 4.2.16

Thanks mate, but I actually want the YouTube version before that, the one with the carousel. 4.2.16 is the latest one. :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda app-developers app

hkk

Oct 30, 2007
Hi,
A dumb question - the ones that have problems updating - are you running stock rom or something else?
I am stock, rooted - I got the update downloaded, but when it went to install the update, the device restarted, started installation, and then failed with msg 'error'.
Is this similar to what most of you are experiencing?
Being stock rooted, I was expecting not having to do a manual update. I am confused...

jonstrong

Jan 20, 2012
www.jonathanrstrong.com
Hi,
A dumb question - the ones that have problems updating - are you running stock rom or something else?
I am stock, rooted - I got the update downloaded, but when it went to install the update, the device restarted, started installation, and then failed with msg 'error'.
Being stock rooted, I was expecting not having to do a manual update. I am confused...

Mine is stock, unlocked, rooted, with TWRP recovery installed. I downloaded, flashed and rebooted. Worked beautifully. No issues or errors.

... beamed from my Nexus 10 to your planet

Reactions: hkk

styckx

Sep 15, 2010
Hi,

Then you changed something. Stock is stock. All it takes it for one file to be off by a single byte and the update will fail. Changing so much as a single character in the build.prop will make it fail.

I, personally suggest backing up your loot and doing a fresh install. I don't agree with and never agreed with convoluted methods of shoe horning in an update.. It's playing with fire

Reactions: hkk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nexus 10 4.2.2 OTA URL

Hi all,

You can download 4.2.2 OTA from below link. Have a fun!! :fingers-crossed:
    MD5:ed637878ccba20ba9d44e62685ac67e9

http://android.clients.google.com/p...igned-mantaray-JDQ39-from-JOP40D.eaef1443.zip
    Thanks! I tried it but got stuck in the same situation. The update was downloaded but not installed properly.

Thanks for helping. I'm all done with the setting up the variables. Whats next now?

Awesome... Assuming you backed up your loot. The following will wipe your tablet clean and install a fresh stock unrooted, Jellybean 4.2.2

Download the 4.2.2 factory image: https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/mantaray-jdq39-factory-d79f489e.tgz

Unzip that.. Inside that is a tar file you need to unzip which contains a folder named "mantaray-jdq39". For tutorial purposes I'm going to assume we unzipped it into the root of C:\

Unzip the image-mantaray-jdq39.zip that is sitting in that directory (mantaray-jdq39). It will contain 5 img files.. They should all be sitting in the same directory

Power down the device and boot into the bootloader of your device.. Unplug the usb from PC and hold BOTH Vol Up-Down and the power button until you get into the bootloader. You'll know it's the right one if you can use the volume keys to switch between start, recovery etc... Plug your Nexus into your PC now..

Open a command prompt and change directories to where you unzipped the tar and zip file earlier.. ie: C:\manataray-jdp39

(if your bootloader is still locked you need to type "fastboot oem unlock" and then follow the instructions on your screen first)

Now type flash-all

Wait it out until your device reboots on its own..

You're done..

If you want to root after this ask here.. Me, or someone else will tell you how to do using the programs provided in the SDK you installed.. This way you will know the exact processes taking place as you yourself will be running each command to install recovery etc.. Then in the event something goes wrong in the future you will most likely be able to fix it yourself.. Also, you'll be more prepared to help others out in similar situations.

* - I'm assuming you already had the USB drivers installed and thus skipped all that jazz.
    I don't care about the data. I have backed up everything. Just wanted to make sure it will work with just one file with flash-all command.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

---------- Post added at 11:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

Nailed it.! The problem was Internet Download Manager. What I downloaded was .tgz file and IDM (i don't know why) converted it to .tar and that was the reason of not showing the contents properly.

---------- Post added 18th February 2013 at 12:02 AM ---------- Previous post was 17th February 2013 at 11:40 PM ----------

Yes, finally I am on 4.2.2 :D Thanks a lot for everything. Really you have helped a lot. Now the final part, Rooting. The way you described, I would like to do the same way.

Congrats!

This is easy also..

First we need to download the Flashable SuperSU.
    Go to this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1538053
    In the first post download the flashable zip by clicking the link following the text "CWM / TWRP / MobileODIN installable ZIP: "

Place it in a spot on your device.. Doesn't matter where.. Just as long as you know where it is at.

Download TWRP (what will be your new recovery): http://teamw.in/project/twrp2

Type in "Nexus 10" click link for it that appears, then click "Download the newest .img file from here" (you want openrecovery-twrp-2.4.x.0-manta.img whatever is the newest at the time of reading this)" on the next page.

Reboot to bootloader - Hold both Vol Up/Down + Power

Connect your device to the PC

Now we are going to instruct fastboot to flash openrecovery-twrp-2.4.x.0-manta.img to the recovery partition of your device

Open a command prompt where you have the TWRP openrecovery-twrp-2.4.x.0-manta.img file you downloaded

Type: fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.4.x.0-manta.img

Once you get the a-ok.. You can now use the volume key to choose "recovery" then the power button to boot into recovery.

TWRP should load.. Now you want to touch "install".. Browse to where you placed the SuperSU zip, choose it, swipe to flash and you should be done at that point and can reboot.
    Good call on the platform tools being outdated. I had downloaded it all today, but I just ran SDK Manager and it said there was an update available. After installing that, everything seems to work OK. It was definitely using an old fastboot as there are more options for it now. Not sure why.

Anyway, everything works perfect now! Thanks so much. I really owe you one.

Woohoo! So awesome.. Look at it this way.. You just got a lot of trouble shooting experience in and have a much better understanding how these things work.. The toolkits just can't replace hands on experience. :) Glad you're updated.. Now go install some games and relax. :good:
    If anyone is not rooted and has upgraded to 4.2.2 here for rooting and installing CWM! :cowboy:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2144831