[GUIDE] Set up Android SDK (ADB) for Windows 8 / 8.1 / [ADB][Bootloader][Fastboot]

Search This thread

bdorr1105

Sep 6, 2008
Android SDK - Powerful tool and easy to set up for use with your HTC One M8
sdk-cube_zpsb0c1a9c6.png

The Reason that you would want to use Android SDK is because its very easy, it's well updated and it just WORKS! There is much more use with HTC devices with adb then with Samsung when it comes to the daily things like splash screens, radio updates, firmware. You will be dealing a lot with the bootloader and fastboot flashing. So to help out, I will post a helpful guide to help you get started for use with the HTC One M8.​

USB 3.0 Information if Needed

Part 1. Follow These Steps Below - (Preparation)

1. Download Android SDK For Windows

2. Click the
DownloadButton_zpsd7df47ec.png
either the 32bit version or 64bit version

3. Create a folder in the C: and name it Android. See below

AndroidFolderonC_zps855180f0.png

4. Place adt-bundle-windows in the Android Folder you just created. Use WinZip, WinRAR or 7-Zip to extract the contents inside the folder. See Below

ExtractHere_zps4ebdd3e9.png

5. Once extracted, Double click SDK Manager and instal all 4.4.2 and 4.3 items and under tools (SDK Tools and Platform Tools). See Picture Below

SDKManager_zps5bf21eaa.png

6. After all packages are installed and updated, download the latest HTC Sync Manager and install once download completes

7. Once Sync Manager completes installation process, go to control panel and uninstall HTC Sync Manager only, you will see HTC Driver in there as well (LEAVE IT THERE)

8. Important, make sure you enable developer options and turn on USB Debugging. Instructions Below if you are unsure how to do that

1. Go to Settings > About > Software information > More > Tap Build Number 5x
2. Once you get notification saying Developer options is unlocked go back to > settings
3. Click Developer options
4. Add check in the box USB Debugging

9. Plug phone into the computer and let it install all the drivers, you should see pop ups.

The Computer and Phone are now prepped for you to start the whole ADB Process

Part 2. Verifying ADB is set up properly and Working

1. Open Command Prompt and Change directories to your platform-tools folder. This is where all the adb files are located. See Below

In Command Prompt Type - Refer to Part 3 so you no longer need to Change Directory

Code:
cd c:\Android\sdk\platform-tools

ChangeDirectory_zpsca89efcb.png

2. In Command prompt type
Code:
adb devices

3. If your output shows your device attached like below, then you are good to go!!!

VerifyDeviceisConnected_zpsc15b9d6b.png

YOU ARE FINISHED!!! Below is a command to get into the bootloader if interested!! Good Luck

Part 3. Environment Variables - No need to Change Directory in Command Prompt Anymore (This is if you want to - Not Required)

1. Press Win+R, then type sysdm.cpl

2011-01-17_174109-300x1531_zpse3439838.png

2. Click Advanced Tab

2011-01-17_174327-269x300_zpsf02af6cb.png

3. Click Environment Variables Button

2011-01-17_174454-269x300_zps2b8b7c63.png

4. Under System Variables, find Path, click to highlight it and then hit the edit button

2011-01-17_174537-271x300_zps79f39f30.png

5. Go to the end of the Variable Value and add the following exactly as you see it in the code box below

Code:
;C:\Android\sdk\platform-tools

PathEdit_zpsf8c299c3.png

6. Click OK to accept the changes you just added

7. Open Command Prompt again to verify by pressing Win+R and type cmd and hit enter

CommandPrompt_zps9e6e8694.png

8. Once Command Prompt is open -> Simply type adb devices with your device connected with USB Debugging already enabled

sdbdevicesvariablefix_zps1264b733.png

9. If you did everything correctly, there is no need to change paths anymore

ADBVerified_zps20e66d47.png

Getting into the Bootloader

In Command Prompt Type:

Code:
adb reboot bootloader

Thanks To:
Ashraf - Images used for Environment Variables - Not all were his since the guide was modified

Last edited:

VolcanicSkunk

Apr 6, 2010
Ohio
Thanks for the guide!

Can you add instructions for how to add adb to the environment variables so it can be accessed without having to cd to the platform-tools folder?

Sent from my HTC One M8

bdorr1105

Sep 6, 2008
Thanks for the guide!

Can you add instructions for how to add adb to the environment variables so it can be accessed without having to cd to the platform-tools folder?

Sent from my HTC One M8

I will look into it if I have some time, you can post it in here if you like if you think others will appreciate it. Thanks

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

bdorr1105

Sep 6, 2008
OP Updated

Updated OP

1. Added Environment Variables to no longer have to Change Directory
2. Cleaned up OP
3. Added Thanks

Reactions: VolcanicSkunk

theimmortalone

Nov 25, 2010
Updated OP

2. Cleaned up OP
3. Added Thanks

Will this work for Windows 7 as well? I have Windows 7, and every time I try to plug my phone in to start the unlocking process, and I click on "Get Token ID"

Get_Token_ID.png

It just sits at that screen and does nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

bdorr1105

Sep 6, 2008
Will this work for Windows 7 as well? I have Windows 7, and every time I try to plug my phone in to start the unlocking process, and I click on "Get Token ID"

Get_Token_ID.png

It just sits at that screen and does nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

It should work the same for windows 7, but keep in mind the guide was created on Windows 8....I do not know the path of your adb folder, also, the phone will prompt you to allow the computer to access it, YOU HAVE TO ALLOW IT, or it will never work!!!

What command did you type? I dont see anything except HTC' ????

theimmortalone

Nov 25, 2010
It should work the same for windows 7, but keep in mind the guide was created on Windows 8....I do not know the path of your adb folder, also, the phone will prompt you to allow the computer to access it, YOU HAVE TO ALLOW IT, or it will never work!!!

Okay, well that is my problem then, every time I plug my phone in, and it never asks me to allow it or not. How can I fix that issue? IT does it on my XP, but that is slower then hell so I prefer not to use it.

And as far has the "HTC" part, it doesn't go past that folder. I thought the all-in-one root kit was supposed to do it automatically?

bdorr1105

Sep 6, 2008
Okay, well that is my problem then, every time I plug my phone in, and it never asks me to allow it or not. How can I fix that issue? IT does it on my XP, but that is slower then hell so I prefer not to use it.

And as far has the "HTC" part, it doesn't go past that folder. I thought the all-in-one root kit was supposed to do it automatically?

You may have already accepted it, lets resolve the steps in order to make sure thats the problem, if you follow the guide, you create a Android folder and then extract the bundle inside of that

the path should be C:\Android\sdk\platform-tools

I want to you to open Command Prompt and do the following:

1. Win+R or Start>Run>cmd Hit enter
2. cd c:\Android\sdk\platform-tools
3. type adb devices > Look for prompt on phone and allow it

If it shows your device connected you are good to go

theimmortalone

Nov 25, 2010

You may have already accepted it, lets resolve the steps in order to make sure thats the problem, if you follow the guide, you create a Android folder and then extract the bundle inside of that

I honestly do not remember that pop up coming up on my phone. So I'm not sure what's up with that. But I will do what you said above, and report back.

Reactions: bdorr1105

theimmortalone

Nov 25, 2010

SUCCESS!!

2jebklz.png

I believe I should be good to go now right?

---------- Post added at 06:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

SUCCESS!!

2jebklz.png

Holy **** I finally got it to work. Thanks for your help man! Appreciate it!

bdorr1105

Sep 6, 2008
SUCCESS!!

2jebklz.png

Yes you should, you need to go to C:\Android and double click SDK Manager.exe and update Android 4.4.2 API by clicking the check box. See Attached Picture

If you do not want to have to change directories, then you need to add that path just as the instructions say to do!

C:\Android\sdk\platform-tools

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    20.6 KB · Views: 73

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Android SDK - Powerful tool and easy to set up for use with your HTC One M8
    sdk-cube_zpsb0c1a9c6.png

The Reason that you would want to use Android SDK is because its very easy, it's well updated and it just WORKS! There is much more use with HTC devices with adb then with Samsung when it comes to the daily things like splash screens, radio updates, firmware. You will be dealing a lot with the bootloader and fastboot flashing. So to help out, I will post a helpful guide to help you get started for use with the HTC One M8.​

USB 3.0 Information if Needed

Part 1. Follow These Steps Below - (Preparation)

1. Download Android SDK For Windows

2. Click the
    DownloadButton_zpsd7df47ec.png
    either the 32bit version or 64bit version

3. Create a folder in the C: and name it Android. See below

AndroidFolderonC_zps855180f0.png

4. Place adt-bundle-windows in the Android Folder you just created. Use WinZip, WinRAR or 7-Zip to extract the contents inside the folder. See Below

ExtractHere_zps4ebdd3e9.png

5. Once extracted, Double click SDK Manager and instal all 4.4.2 and 4.3 items and under tools (SDK Tools and Platform Tools). See Picture Below

SDKManager_zps5bf21eaa.png

6. After all packages are installed and updated, download the latest HTC Sync Manager and install once download completes

7. Once Sync Manager completes installation process, go to control panel and uninstall HTC Sync Manager only, you will see HTC Driver in there as well (LEAVE IT THERE)

8. Important, make sure you enable developer options and turn on USB Debugging. Instructions Below if you are unsure how to do that

1. Go to Settings > About > Software information > More > Tap Build Number 5x
    2. Once you get notification saying Developer options is unlocked go back to > settings
    3. Click Developer options
    4. Add check in the box USB Debugging

9. Plug phone into the computer and let it install all the drivers, you should see pop ups.

The Computer and Phone are now prepped for you to start the whole ADB Process

Part 2. Verifying ADB is set up properly and Working

1. Open Command Prompt and Change directories to your platform-tools folder. This is where all the adb files are located. See Below

In Command Prompt Type - Refer to Part 3 so you no longer need to Change Directory

Code:
    cd c:\Android\sdk\platform-tools

ChangeDirectory_zpsca89efcb.png

2. In Command prompt type
    Code:
    adb devices

3. If your output shows your device attached like below, then you are good to go!!!

VerifyDeviceisConnected_zpsc15b9d6b.png

YOU ARE FINISHED!!! Below is a command to get into the bootloader if interested!! Good Luck

Part 3. Environment Variables - No need to Change Directory in Command Prompt Anymore (This is if you want to - Not Required)

1. Press Win+R, then type sysdm.cpl

2011-01-17_174109-300x1531_zpse3439838.png

2. Click Advanced Tab

2011-01-17_174327-269x300_zpsf02af6cb.png

3. Click Environment Variables Button

2011-01-17_174454-269x300_zps2b8b7c63.png

4. Under System Variables, find Path, click to highlight it and then hit the edit button

2011-01-17_174537-271x300_zps79f39f30.png

5. Go to the end of the Variable Value and add the following exactly as you see it in the code box below

Code:
    ;C:\Android\sdk\platform-tools

PathEdit_zpsf8c299c3.png

6. Click OK to accept the changes you just added

7. Open Command Prompt again to verify by pressing Win+R and type cmd and hit enter

CommandPrompt_zps9e6e8694.png

8. Once Command Prompt is open -> Simply type adb devices with your device connected with USB Debugging already enabled

sdbdevicesvariablefix_zps1264b733.png

9. If you did everything correctly, there is no need to change paths anymore

ADBVerified_zps20e66d47.png

Getting into the Bootloader

In Command Prompt Type:

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

Thanks To:
    Ashraf - Images used for Environment Variables - Not all were his since the guide was modified
    OP Updated

Updated OP

2. Cleaned up OP
    3. Added Thanks

I honestly do not remember that pop up coming up on my phone. So I'm not sure what's up with that. But I will do what you said above, and report back.