KitKat - the 4.4.2 update - discussion thread

Search This thread

Dadud

Jun 11, 2012
Here's to to hoping for a new exploit and a way to flash custom roms again.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Reactions: eddie.2013

Dadud

Jun 11, 2012
To everyone about to post anything along the lines of "lol touchwiz sux" move along. Most of us know it already.. and for one reason or another we got stuck on 4.3. I know I'm looking forward to 4.4

KennyJive

Jun 14, 2010
To everyone about to post anything along the lines of "lol touchwiz sux" move along. Most of us know it already.. and for one reason or another we got stuck on 4.3. I know I'm looking forward to 4.4

I don't like the look of it but my phone runs better on it. I've tried everything but nothing beats Beans 20. Hopefully 4.4 touchwiz will be as stable.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Dadud

Jun 11, 2012
I'm just hoping some sly samsung dev "accidently" left an exploit to allow custom recoveries

Krusej23

Dec 19, 2012
Doesn't help those that took the 4.3 OTA. I agree that 4.4.2 AOSP ROMs are rounding out very nicely. Although TW has the benefit of all the phone's hardware working correctly.

Could we keep this thread limited to talking about Verizon and Samsung bring 4.4.2 to the S3 and not arguing about different ROMs. If people want to talk about different roms then they can go to the other threads for that. Thanks!

Reactions: BadUsername

bobAbooE

Apr 8, 2011
Indiana
It's cool that they made it official.

International first and then the trickle down will happen.

I say August for Verizon.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

Krusej23

Dec 19, 2012
If Sprint rolled 4.4.2 out to the S4 already then I would guess Verizon will soon too. Then say another month and Verizon could roll it out for S3 in April or May. That's just my uneducated ghess

xs11e

Oct 5, 2010
Phoenix
Just a wild guess but I suspect this will be the LAST upgrade for the S3 which is getting a little long in the tooth now...

ShapesBlue

May 9, 2012
Just a wild guess but I suspect this will be the LAST upgrade for the S3 which is getting a little long in the tooth now...

Your spot on about that man. It will sadly be our last update. But none the less the S3 is a solid phone

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I can't post in their development thread, per the rules set forth in the OP, however.....I would still like to take a moment to give a special thanks to all of the wonderful people working very hard to break us off a piece of that KitKat!.:D I'm mentioning some names here so you guys are aware that what you're doing for us is VERY, VERY APPRECIATED! What I'm going to say next may sound "stupid" or even "silly" to some of you XDA folk out there....but hey, what the hell!
    @scrosler @zachf714 @open1your1eyes0 @prdog1 @old&slow @CNexus @BeansTown106 @Surge1223
    @ ALL THE OTHERS HELPING AS WELL

I want to thank you guys from the bottom of my heart for trying to bring this to us. Some of us, like myself, may have the intelligence required to know what you know and do what you do BUT, simply can't for a multitude of reasons! Me, I'm working 60+ hours a week, and barely have any time to spend with my 2 sons, ages 4 and 2. There's no time for me to spend any time with my family (because I'm always working) much less do anything else, so being able to constantly play with my phone and visit XDA on a daily basis are pretty much my hobbies right now! That's why I so strongly feel the need to write this "letter of appreciation"! Thanks guys and GODSPEED!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Sorry for the delay. Went out with the Fam for a bit.
    Here is the update.zip on androidfilehost

http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23501681358550119
    Wait a sec. I just saw the S5 gain root with that Towlroot app, so this work on the S3 aswell?! Im on 4.4 Stock, but seeing as TW 4.4 is surprisingly out and im about 2 months from upgrading, im thinking of putting the phone back to stock OS.

So i can still use the towelroot app to root it again? Or is there a specific one for the S3?
    no the towelroot apk for the s5 works on pretty much any android phone with a kernel build date before june 3rd and even some after that date
    Have you played with the 4.4.2 update yet?
    nope still waiting for it to hit kies.. but got my s3 ready to snag that sucker when it finally comes lol
    Not having any luck finding a way to get rid of the update notification. I'm on 4.3 rooted. OTA update notification keeps coming through every morning. How do I stop it from showing up?

Allow myself to quote myself from this same thread...

OTA PDFs are posted here, you can see for yourself what this update entails (click the "Benefits of Software Upgrade" link). Bookmark it for future reference.

To stop the notification, use an app like Titanium Backup, switch to "System" apps via the filter, then press the specific app. Or use a file explorer, grant it root access, then navigate to /System/Apps and rename the file to "sdm 1.0.bak" or delete it.
    .tar file where are you??????????????