[Q] MediaTek 6577 Chipset - Capable of More Than WCDMA?

Search This thread

jasonmerc

Dec 14, 2012
www.ixquick.com
While looking into the Runbo X5 Chinese Anroid phone that has a MediaTek MT6577 chipset, every website listing its specifications said the phone only supports GSM for 2G, and WCDMA for 3G. I am interested in saving up to buy this phone, but the fact that this (might) only support 3G speeds of up to 384kbps, that is a real let-down for such an expensive phone (this thing can be $300 upward).

HOWEVER, when looking deeper into its specifications, this is where I noticed that the Runbo X5 has a Mediatek MT6577. When I looked up the compatible network types for the 6577 on Wikipedia, the specs chart said that this chipset not only supports plain old WCDMA 3G, but HSPA and HSPA+ as well!

So, shouldn't this mean that the Runbo X5 actually does support speeds beyond 384kbps through HSPA and HSPA+, or is there something the manufacturer does that somehow forces it to only support WCDMA?

Website listing the specifications

Wikipedia article on MediaTek. Just do a CTRL+F and type in 6577 to see what I was talking about.

Last edited:

jasonmerc

Dec 14, 2012
www.ixquick.com
*BUMP*

I have also noticed this for other phones such as the Goophone i5s. The chipset on the Wikipedia chart for MediaTek lists them compatible with HSPA, however it is only listed as WCDMA in specs.

I am beginning to think that when these manufacturers/resellers list WCDMA as a feature of a certain phone, they do not mean WCDMA like the slow 384kbps connection, they are using WCDMA referring to 3G in general (HSPA falls under the 3G category of network type). Either that or it is just some sort of translation "error", where "3G" from another language is translated to "WCDMA" in English...

Sent from my SGH-I847 using XDA Free mobile app