[TUTORIAL] How To Unlock Nand Protection ~ Part-2 [Gaining RW Access/Full Root]

Search This thread

phinnaeus

Apr 25, 2010
Seattle
I don't think you are supposed to be able to unzip the PC36IMG.zip file. Just put it on your sdcard as is. Just like in part one.

geekykid

Apr 9, 2010
Washington, DC
heh. so.. toast posted this tonight before he leaves for the week until sunday. hopefully he updates the file on the server. that's a long wait. :)

edit: luckily he noticed before he logged off. :p

Last edited:

Cordy

Feb 2, 2008
Edit: I stand corrected, toast beat me to it.

Edit 2: How could I forget, Thanks toast and company!

Last edited:

flipzmode

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 21, 2009
geekfor.me
FYI guys this does work 100% perfectly. Been running it for a few days now. ;) Like toast said the file is corrupted, just give him a chance to re-up it and you'll be good to go.

oOflyeyesOo

May 27, 2010
St louis
Would anyone be able to tell me how to do this with the clockworkmod recovery, because that is what I have installed and it is quite nice, im sure other people have it also on this site. Please someone give me a little info.

maejrep

Jun 25, 2007
I don't think you are supposed to be able to unzip the PC36IMG.zip file. Just put it on your sdcard as is. Just like in part one.

Mostly correct: even if the file is not corrupt, it does not look like a normal zip to any utility that wants to unzip it: it has some extraneous data tacked on to it, for the purpose of verifying the HTC signature. That signature makes the zip look invalid, but most utilities (at least the standard linux 'unzip' utility) will still be able to extract the contents. But if your zip utility is overly strict, it might reject it based on that extra signature data.

The actual file size is: 179274182 bytes (171MB).
md5sum is: fe8aba99893c766b8c4fd0a2734e4738

joeykrim

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 9, 2009
First of all, thanks for all the people making this possible!

Have a few questions bout the whole process. Curious bout the technical details, hope they aren't too n00bish!

Interesting, Step 2, NAND protection allows flash_image to flash the mtd_eng from normal android mode? It isn't blocked by NAND protection?

what exactly in technical details is mtd_eng? only description i can find, FLASHING MTD PARTITION TO ENABLE DOWNGRADE. We were already able to flash PC36IMG.zip which is a downgrade, how does mtd_eng change it?

If PC36IMG.zip is loaded, than flash_image eng hboot, why does PC36IMG.zip have to be loaded again on top of the mtd_eng? what is the name of the Engineering SPL file? its hboot.img instead of PC36IMG.zip or mtd_eng?

sorry if thats confusing, just tryin to grasp all these new great toys! thanks for everybody's help!

maejrep

Jun 25, 2007
what exactly in technical details is mtd_eng? only description i can find, FLASHING MTD PARTITION TO ENABLE DOWNGRADE. We were already able to flash PC36IMG.zip which is a downgrade, how does mtd_eng change it?
The "part 1" PC36IMG.zip is not a downgrade.. It has a 100% identical version number, and that allows it to be swapped in and out between the userdebug and the stock (user) versions. Because the versions are identical, you do not need to "downgrade" for that one. For this one, it is an older version, and the RUU will be rejected because it's older. The misc-eng.img only changes the version number in misc, to say that it's 1.15, instead of 1.32. 1.15 is the downgrade, so the only way to accept that downgrade is to trick the radio into thinking you already have an older version. That's what the misc-eng.img does for you. Now that the radio sees your version is older than the engineering version, it flashes it for you, happily.

misc.img is only used to trick the radio into thinking you have an old version. It does not contain anything that will affect hboot or root.

joeykrim

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 9, 2009
The "part 1" PC36IMG.zip is not a downgrade.. It has a 100% identical version number, and that allows it to be swapped in and out between the userdebug and the stock (user) versions. Because the versions are identical, you do not need to "downgrade" for that one. For this one, it is an older version, and the RUU will be rejected because it's older. The misc-eng.img only changes the version number in misc, to say that it's 1.15, instead of 1.32. 1.15 is the downgrade, so the only way to accept that downgrade is to trick the radio into thinking you already have an older version. That's what the misc-eng.img does for you. Now that the radio sees your version is older than the engineering version, it flashes it for you, happily.

misc.img is only used to trick the radio into thinking you have an old version. It does not contain anything that will affect hboot or root.
aaahhh, didn't realize the PC36IMG.zip files were different, my bad! this is startin to make much more sense, sorry for all the n00b questions! appreciate all the help!

so this PC36IMG.zip is older, version 1.15 and engineering build with eng hboot where the other 1st posted PC36IMG.zip is version 1.32 and a userdebug build so no eng hboot?
where do you see these version numbers, 1.15 and 1.32?

thanks for the help!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    so this PC36IMG.zip is older, version 1.15 and engineering build with eng hboot where the other 1st posted PC36IMG.zip is version 1.32 and a userdebug build so no eng hboot?
    Correct.. the file MUST be named PC36IMG.zip, because that's what the radio looks for when doing an automatic RUU flash. Otherwise we would name them differently, based on what they are :) which would make it easier to keep track of
    where do you see these version numbers, 1.15 and 1.32?
    The version number is the "Build number" and "Software number" you see in About Phone. The eng one is called 1.15.651.1, and the stock one is "1.32.651.1". The misc.img replaces 1.32 with 1.15, and that allows it to flash.
    does this give me full s-off? I tried the revolutionary method and it doesn't work because there are some bad blocks on the nand.

You won't be able to use this. This was only for Froyo 2.2 if you have bad blocks there is nothing you can do about it

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app