[Q] Getting KitKat 4.4.2 for 5120 LTE Note 8?

Search This thread

harry_fine

Nov 9, 2011
Toronto
I keep seeing reports about KitKat coming to the Note 8, but it's alwsays the 5100 and 5110 versions. Are we getting KitKat 4.4.2 for 5120 LTE Note 8?

harry_fine

Nov 9, 2011
Toronto
Thanks. I'm new to the Note 8, just bought a lightly used one in Toronto, but now I'm starting to wonder if it will get an upgrade. Seems that the Canadian (and maybe AT&T) versions are the i467M, slightly different from other markets, and with such small market share, they are being forgotten.

My guess from looking at these threads is that if I tried to even put the 4.2.2 update for the 5120 on from late last year, it will brick my device since for some reason certain carriers, including all Canadian carriers, have a basterdized version of the hardware.

So it's possible I'm on 4.1.2 forever. But thanks for the reply.

Harry

gooberdude

Oct 27, 2010
Thanks. I'm new to the Note 8, just bought a lightly used one in Toronto, but now I'm starting to wonder if it will get an upgrade. Seems that the Canadian (and maybe AT&T) versions are the i467M, slightly different from other markets, and with such small market share, they are being forgotten.

My guess from looking at these threads is that if I tried to even put the 4.2.2 update for the 5120 on from late last year, it will brick my device since for some reason certain carriers, including all Canadian carriers, have a basterdized version of the hardware.

So it's possible I'm on 4.1.2 forever. But thanks for the reply.

Harry

Outside of a few games causing 4.1.2 to lockup or pause... 4.1.2 is fairly good. Though there are some things it does not share with 4.2.2. Until there is an update, you can always do what I have done to my 4.2.2... It works with 4.1.2 as well on the 5120.

Saferoot, and you will not void or cause the system to detect rooting. It leaves OTA and Kies available to update.

Run what I have in my list for signature, and be happy... A great improvement over having a basic stock ROM.

Though editing the build.prop is not difficult, you may want to search as there are plenty of threads with the info.

I use Solid Explorer Pro, though many like Root Explorer though it does not require rooting... if your rooting might as well use Solid, as it works well in landscape mode split screens, or swipe back and fourth in portrait.

emprize

Jan 15, 2007
the 4.4.2 can download at sammobile already, but super slow on my side, can anyone mirror it?

harry_fine

Nov 9, 2011
Toronto
Outside of a few games causing 4.1.2 to lockup or pause... 4.1.2 is fairly good. Though there are some things it does not share with 4.2.2. Until there is an update, you can always do what I have done to my 4.2.2... It works with 4.1.2 as well on the 5120.

Saferoot, and you will not void or cause the system to detect rooting. It leaves OTA and Kies available to update.

Run what I have in my list for signature, and be happy... A great improvement over having a basic stock ROM.

Though editing the build.prop is not difficult, you may want to search as there are plenty of threads with the info.

I use Solid Explorer Pro, though many like Root Explorer though it does not require rooting... if your rooting might as well use Solid, as it works well in landscape mode split screens, or swipe back and fourth in portrait.

Thanks for all your help. I know of Wanam, have it on my S5, but unfortunately, it only works from 4.2 and up, not 4.1. My only issue is getting these regular 5 second pauses where my browser stops working, read about it online and 4.2 supposedly fixes it. Otherwise I think I would be OK with 4.1. Feel a bit ripped off, it's a fairly new tablet produced for Canadian carriers, and then they decide to completely abandon it at 4.1.