[Q] What is wrong with my EVO?

Search This thread

nolimit06

Oct 30, 2011
North Carolina
Hey guys, I have been having a ton of issues with my phone lately and I am at a loss on what to do from here... I am always having lag, random reboots, and on occasion complete data loss and nothing but force closings on every single app.

I have tried numerous roms both AOSP and Sense and several different kernel combos all with the same problems. My ROM install process is as follows...

1) Wipe Everything 3x
2) Transfer files needed for flashing to SD
3) Run VR_SUPERWIPE.zip 3x
4) Flash ROM
5) Flash Kernel
6) Flash GAPPS (if AOSP)
7) Flash dta2sd
8) Reboot

Phone Info:
White EVO HW 004
Recovery: AmonRA 3.11
SD: 8gb PNY Class 10
Battery: Stock

I usually get to the setup screen and I am able to get everything setup such as wifi and such. I let the phone sit for about 5 minutes then I reboot and procede with the rest of my setup process such as app installs, themeing, etc. On my initial reboot I go into recovery and fix permissions. 7 out of 10 times my phone will get borked right here and I can never get back to the system and I just get stuck at the white evo screen... I have tried cache and dalvik-cache wipes with no luck.

I have even unrooted my phone and tried to run everything as stock with the same results. I am pissed and frustrated and I do not know what to do anymore short of taking the phone and smashing it in to the ground and running it over with a truck :mad:

I hope someone has some idea of what is going on and I can get my issue resolved and if not tell me how to get a new phone out of Sprint :D

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: On reboot the phone makes a clicking noise while on the white htc EVO 4G screen...

Last edited:

Diablo67

This is the best thing to do,"Format & Partition Your SD Card"!that is the most important thing to do to not only make the roms run smoother and less lagging,but your phone will have less errors and more memory,go here.... http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1158993 partition your sd card,then go here.... http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=715938&highlight=Dark+Tremors+A2SD And install this,trust me you will be wondering why you didnt do it sooner.

Edit:Holy crap,i didnt notice it was you bro,whats up nolimits,you might be having issues with the internals.

Last edited:
Reactions: nolimit06

nolimit06

Oct 30, 2011
North Carolina
This is the best thing to do,"Format & Partition Your SD Card"!that is the most important thing to do to not only make the roms run smoother and less lagging,but your phone will have less errors and more memory,go here.... http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1158993 partition your sd card,then go here.... http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=715938&highlight=Dark+Tremors+A2SD And install this,trust me you will be wondering why you didnt do it sooner.

Edit:Holy crap,i didnt notice it was you bro,whats up nolimits,you might be having issues with the internals.

LOL yup it's me :(

I have tried a different method of flashing by rebooting after flashing one item at a time and it seems to have worked for the most part... My issues all started back when I tried pb15 of Deck's ICS build and all hell broke loose from there.

I really hope my method has resolved it self but if not I am not sure what to do with Sprint about getting a new phone. I have TEP but I don't have $100 due to a work injury and I don't have any income at the moment.

Here is what I am currently running:

CM7.2 APR8 Build
Mason 0.14 G SBC
dtA2SD
SmurfedOut Script 6.6

Last edited:

jamieg71

Mar 13, 2011
Sanford, Florida
Hey guys, I have been having a ton of issues with my phone lately and I am at a loss on what to do from here... I am always having lag, random reboots, and on occasion complete data loss and nothing but force closings on every single app.

I have tried numerous roms both AOSP and Sense and several different kernel combos all with the same problems. My ROM install process is as follows...

1) Wipe Everything 3x
2) Transfer files needed for flashing to SD
3) Run VR_SUPERWIPE.zip 3x
4) Flash ROM
5) Flash Kernel
6) Flash GAPPS (if AOSP)
7) Flash dta2sd
8) Reboot

Phone Info:
White EVO HW 004
Recovery: AmonRA 3.11
SD: 8gb PNY Class 10
Battery: Stock

I usually get to the setup screen and I am able to get everything setup such as wifi and such. I let the phone sit for about 5 minutes then I reboot and procede with the rest of my setup process such as app installs, themeing, etc. On my initial reboot I go into recovery and fix permissions. 7 out of 10 times my phone will get borked right here and I can never get back to the system and I just get stuck at the white evo screen... I have tried cache and dalvik-cache wipes with no luck.

I have even unrooted my phone and tried to run everything as stock with the same results. I am pissed and frustrated and I do not know what to do anymore short of taking the phone and smashing it in to the ground and running it over with a truck :mad:

I hope someone has some idea of what is going on and I can get my issue resolved and if not tell me how to get a new phone out of Sprint :D

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: On reboot the phone makes a clicking noise while on the white htc EVO 4G screen...

Did you recently upgrade your radios? If so did you go do a profile and prl update immediately after?
I've seen this issue occur after updating radios, and not updating profile.
Just a thought, and if your answer is no to having updated radios, Diablo had the first best bet just above. :)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

imheroldman

Apr 10, 2011
Chico
Try the same setup with out dta2sd.
Had the same issue a while back and it was a2sd, everything would be fine until a reboot. Not sure what it is but the a2sd was the culprit...

Also, what ext are you using? ext 4 will bork in the same manner, make sure you are on ext 3.

Sent from my PC36100 using xda premium

nolimit06

Oct 30, 2011
North Carolina
Did you recently upgrade your radios? If so did you go do a profile and prl update immediately after?
I've seen this issue occur after updating radios, and not updating profile.
Just a thought, and if your answer is no to having updated radios, Diablo had the first best bet just above. :)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

It's been over a month since I updated the radios and I did update my profile and prl. I was just on Tommy's Classic and did another update so I am pretty sure that was not the culprit. :)

Try the same setup with out dta2sd.
Had the same issue a while back and it was a2sd, everything would be fine until a reboot. Not sure what it is but the a2sd was the culprit...

Also, what ext are you using? ext 4 will bork in the same manner, make sure you are on ext 3.

I did try ext4 but like you did figure that was part of the problem so I hooked up my card to my pc and did a full format and repartitioned my card to ext3 with no swap. I did try not going with a2sd but it seems that if I flash that at the very end it seems to work. I never had a problem flashing everything at once but I guess my phone is just being a ass now :p

GrimReaper24

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 10, 2011
If you wipe 3x and superwipe 3x that is over kill one wipe each is safe and fine..

Do you have that issue on all roms? Sounds like something isn't playing well on your phone.

volk9029

May 10, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It's been over a month since I updated the radios and I did update my profile and prl. I was just on Tommy's Classic and did another update so I am pretty sure that was not the culprit. :)

I did try ext4 but like you did figure that was part of the problem so I hooked up my card to my pc and did a full format and repartitioned my card to ext3 with no swap. I did try not going with a2sd but it seems that if I flash that at the very end it seems to work. I never had a problem flashing everything at once but I guess my phone is just being a ass now :p

I noticed that you use amon ra 3.11. Have you tried amon ra 2.3?

Sent from my lair.

jrollercoasters

Oct 4, 2011
If you wipe 3x and superwipe 3x that is over kill one wipe each is safe and fine..

Do you have that issue on all roms? Sounds like something isn't playing well on your phone.

Agreed od's super wipe messed up my phone when I did it to much I had to fully clear out phone SD and all and factory reset via setting in phone not armon, worked fine after

Top Liked Posts