[HOWTO] [ROOT] No Tripping Flash Counter - [ATT / Bell / Telus / Rogers / Sasktel]

Search This thread

mrRobinson

Dec 20, 2010
Please make sure you download the correct image for your phone. ATT / Bell / Telus / Rogers / Sasktel
This method uses Odin to flash a factory stock image to your phone that simply has root injected into it. These are FULL stock and as such will flash the stock bootloader, recovery, modem, kernel and system image.

4.3 Image Notes: With 4.3 images, KNOX is removed in order for root to stick. This will flag the Knox counter. Once you flash one of these 4.3 images you now have the latest factory stock bootloader, radio, etc. Flashing a prior bootloader can hard/soft brick your device. Please read and understand what you are doing.

Video posted of this and other options for root. Good to watch before starting if you are new!
And a great new user FAQ compiled by our Member of the Month winner, ikjadoon!

You can get ODIN here
and the drivers for the SGH-I747 so ODIN can detect your phone can be found at Samsung's site. Click on the Manuals & Downloads tab at the bottom and then on Software for the latest driver.

First download the stock odin tar that has a rooted system image injected into it:
ATT Image
Current I747UCDLK3 (JB 4.1.1)
Mirror 1: Download root66_ATT_I747UCDLK3.7z
Mirror 2: Download root66_ATT_I747UCDLK3.7z

Bell Image (This works with Canadian Virgin Mobile SGH-I747M)
Current I747MVLUEMK5 (JB 4.3) - New!
Mirror 1: Download root66_BMC_I747MVLUEMK5.7z

I747MVLDMF1 (JB 4.1.2)
Mirror 1: Download root66_BMC_I747MVLDMF1.7z

I747MVLDLK4 (JB 4.1.1)
Mirror 1: Download root66_BMC_I747MVLDLK4.7z

Rogers Image
Mirror 1: Download root66_RWC_I747MVLUEMK5_2.7z

I747MVLDMF1 (JB 4.1.2)
Mirror 1: Download root66_RWC_I747MVLDMF1.7z

I747MVLDLK4 (JB 4.1.1)
Mirror 1: Download root66_RWC_I747MVLDLK4.7z

Telus Image
Mirror 1: Download root66_TLS_I747MVLUEMK5.7z

I747MVLDMF1 (JB 4.1.2)
Mirror 1: Download root66_TLS_I747MVLDMF1.7z

I747MVLDLK4 (JB 4.1.1)
Mirror 1: Download root66_TLS_I747MVLDLK4.7z

I747MVLALH1 (ICS 4.0.4)
Perm Mirror 1: Telus I747MVLALH1 Download
Perm Mirror 2: Thanks to zaghy2zy!: Telus I747MVLALH1 Download

Sasktel Image
Mirror 1: Download root66_BWA_I747MVLUEMK5.7z

I747MVLDMF1 (JB 4.1.2)
Mirror 1: Download root66_BWA_I747MVLDMF1.7z

I747MVLDLK4 (JB 4.1.1)
Mirror 1: Download root66_BWA_I747MVLDLK4.7z

I747MVLALH1 (ICS 4.0.4)
Perm Mirror 1: Sasktel I747MVLALH1 Download
Perm Mirror 2: Thanks to zaghy2zy!: Sasktel I747MVLALH1 Download

Fido Image
Current I747MVLDMF1 (JB 4.1.2)
Mirror 1: Download root66_FMC_I747MVLDMF1.7z

I747MVLDLK4 (JB 4.1.1)
Mirror 1: Download root66_FMC_I747MVLDLK4.7z

Puerto Rico Image
Current I747MUMBLL1 (JB 4.1.1)
Mirror 1: Download root66_PCT_I747MUMBLL1.7z

Koodoo Mobile Image
Mirror 1: Download root66_KDO_I747MVLDMF1.7z

I747MVLDLK4 (JB 4.1.1)
Mirror 1: Download root66_KDO_I747MVLDLK4.7z

Second,
Extract the root66_xxx_.tar.md5 from the .7z file you downloaded.
Use Odin, put phone into download mode [with phone off, hold vol. down + home + power ], connect to computer and open Odin.
once in odin click the PDA field and select the root66_xxx_.tar.md5 you downloaded.
Leave Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time checked.
click start and
when done let phone reboot.
If you have issues flashing with Odin please ensure you are using the microusb cable that came with the phone, users have had issues using other cables.
If you just want a stock, rooted phone with no custom recovery, no plans to flash custom roms, etc. then you can stop HERE.

Third, (optional) On JellyBean versions, flashing a custom recovery will trip your counter no matter the method used.
To get clockworkmod recovery loaded so you can flash whatever you want, nandroid, etc then continue on....
Once rebooted you can grab a universal recovery that works on all sgs3 LTE variants from here: http://www.epiccm.org/2012/06/cwm-recovery-on-all-sgs3-lte-variants.html
if you download this recovery you will need to extract this file (if you have issues extracting try removing the .md5 extension first) to get a recovery.img file and copy to your phone's internal /sdcard

However if you have the ATT model (not sure if this will work on Bell, Telus, Rogers, etc.), this recovery will see the extSdCard and seems better for our devices:
For ATT models use either this recovery or this touch recovery.

connect your phone to computer and use adb
type adb shell
once in the shell run su
then
dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18

Third, alternate if unfamiliar with adb commands
Grab android terminal emulator from the play store and run the same commands starting with su in the box below.

Here is output of what I did (using the att non-touch recovery file):
Code:
shell@android:/ $ su
shell@android:/ # dd if=/sdcard/recovery-clockwork-5.8.4.5-d2att.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18
14004+0 records in
14004+0 records out
7170048 bytes transferred in 1.430 secs (5014019 bytes/sec)
shell@android:/ # 

shell@android:/ # reboot recovery

Third, alternate #3 if unfamiliar with adb commands and uncomfortable using any command line
Decide if you want to use TWRP or CWM.
If you would like to install ClockworkMod recovery then grab Rom Manager from the Play store and in the menu select to install ClockworkMod Recovery.
If you would like to install TeamWin Recovery Project then grab GooManager from the Play store and select the option to "Install OpenRecovery Script".

Using the method's above, at least in my two tests, wiped nothing off my phone. everything in sdcard remained etc.

ADB Install/Setup info found in post #3 of tomween1's [DIRECTORY] AT&T SGS lll I747 thread

De-Bloater
If you've made it this far with a stock, rooted phone with cwm and you don't want to flash a custom rom (which will do its own de-bloating) you can check out my Aroma installer based De-bloater to easily get rid of bloat system apps you no longer want to see. Simply flash in CWM like anything else and you will be presented with a menu system to choose what to remove. If you are unsure it is safe to pick Recommended and still get a decent de-bloat.​

Miscellaneous Files
Odin Flashable TWRP Recovery - This is an Odin Flashable Team Win Recovery Project Recovery - openrecovery-twrp-2.3.1.0-d2att.tar.md5
Odin Flashable Stock ATT UCDLK3 Recovery - This is an Odin Flashable STOCK Recovery for ATT from UCDLK3 release - ATT_recovery_I747UCDLK3.tar.md5
CWM Flashable ATT UCDLK3 Modem - modem_CWM_I747UCDLK3.zip

Thanks
To get the injected root system image I followed pieces of
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=27801304&postcount=1
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22798858&postcount=32

so thanks to those guys. Neither of those worked out of the box needed a bit of tweaking.

Thanks to pinoymutt for this: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=28018181&postcount=26
which is the method above to getting recovery in without tripping counter.

Last edited:

wraithdu

Aug 28, 2008
Does this wipe /data, /sdcard, or /extSdCard or anything like a factory reset? Either way, that bit of info should be added to the description.

You'll probably also wanna find better hosting than dropbox... that's gonna go over quota reeeaaaaalllll fast ;)

Reactions: Filantropo75

pinoymutt

Nov 7, 2008
SoCal
Thanks!!! Now I hope someone is able to figure out how to reset the counter for those of us who didn't wait :eek:

I think that one is going to be more complicated... on the Note it involved some tweaking and flashing on one of the bootloader files, but it appears that the counter is in a different location on our phones.

Probably going to need some folks to really investigate at a code level to figure out where the counter is hidden - which apparently is the trickiest part.

lensgrabber

May 10, 2012
Golden
Has anyone verified that the device says "Normal" after rooting or CWM with this method? Settings -> About Device -> Status -> Device Status

mrRobinson

Dec 20, 2010
Has anyone verified that the device says "Normal" after rooting or CWM with this method? Settings -> About Device -> Status -> Device Status

Confirmed. my flash counter is at 3 due to the first method and then my failed testing attempts but after going back to stock and doing this method this field does say Normal. Download mode says "samsung official" and my flash counter didn't increase past the 3 flashing the tar in the OP or dd'ing the recovery image.

nakedninja42

Oct 28, 2009
Bay Area, CA
I think that one is going to be more complicated... on the Note it involved some tweaking and flashing on one of the bootloader files, but it appears that the counter is in a different location on our phones.

Probably going to need some folks to really investigate at a code level to figure out where the counter is hidden - which apparently is the trickiest part.

I'm in no rush, I know someone one day will figure it out. :cool:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

altitude909

Apr 13, 2011
Walled Lake, Michigan
Yep :D, or if you just want root on stock you can just flash the package and not mess with the command line flashing part for CWM.

Gotcha, first tarball is just for root on stock, second one via ADB adds the CWM recovery.. Very cool.

Will a rooted/CWM'd device using this method be able to flash roms/code (i.e. the thether fix) without tripping the counter?

Thanks for the great work, sorry about all the questions :p

Joe777G

Jun 25, 2010
Gotcha, first tarball is just for root on stock, second one via ADB adds the CWM recovery.. Very cool.

Will a rooted/CWM'd device using this method be able to flash roms/code (i.e. the thether fix) without tripping the counter?

Thanks for the great work, sorry about all the questions :p

Yes, once rooted and CWM is installed you can flash anything from CWM without tripping the counter. Odin the only thing that trips the counter.

It would be great if the SGS III LTE got Mobile ODIN support! Making the ODIN root one click and then using Mobile ODIN to apply the CWM recovery image would be awesome, but I'm just really happy that I can root and get CWM without tripping the counter. It is go time.

Reactions: ikjadoon

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please make sure you download the correct image for your phone. ATT / Bell / Telus / Rogers / Sasktel
    This method uses Odin to flash a factory stock image to your phone that simply has root injected into it. These are FULL stock and as such will flash the stock bootloader, recovery, modem, kernel and system image.

4.3 Image Notes: With 4.3 images, KNOX is removed in order for root to stick. This will flag the Knox counter. Once you flash one of these 4.3 images you now have the latest factory stock bootloader, radio, etc. Flashing a prior bootloader can hard/soft brick your device. Please read and understand what you are doing.

Video posted of this and other options for root. Good to watch before starting if you are new!
    And a great new user FAQ compiled by our Member of the Month winner, ikjadoon!

You can get ODIN here
    and the drivers for the SGH-I747 so ODIN can detect your phone can be found at Samsung's site. Click on the Manuals & Downloads tab at the bottom and then on Software for the latest driver.

First download the stock odin tar that has a rooted system image injected into it:
    ATT Image
    Current I747UCDLK3 (JB 4.1.1)
    Mirror 1: Download root66_ATT_I747UCDLK3.7z
    Mirror 2: Download root66_ATT_I747UCDLK3.7z

Bell Image (This works with Canadian Virgin Mobile SGH-I747M)
    Mirror 1: Download root66_BMC_I747MVLUEMK5.7z

I747MVLDMF1 (JB 4.1.2)
    Mirror 1: Download root66_BMC_I747MVLDMF1.7z

I747MVLDLK4 (JB 4.1.1)
    Mirror 1: Download root66_BMC_I747MVLDLK4.7z

Rogers Image
    Mirror 1: Download root66_RWC_I747MVLUEMK5_2.7z

I747MVLDMF1 (JB 4.1.2)
    Mirror 1: Download root66_RWC_I747MVLDMF1.7z

I747MVLDLK4 (JB 4.1.1)
    Mirror 1: Download root66_RWC_I747MVLDLK4.7z

Telus Image
    Mirror 1: Download root66_TLS_I747MVLUEMK5.7z

I747MVLDMF1 (JB 4.1.2)
    Mirror 1: Download root66_TLS_I747MVLDMF1.7z

I747MVLDLK4 (JB 4.1.1)
    Mirror 1: Download root66_TLS_I747MVLDLK4.7z

I747MVLALH1 (ICS 4.0.4)
    Perm Mirror 1: Telus I747MVLALH1 Download
    Perm Mirror 2: Thanks to zaghy2zy!: Telus I747MVLALH1 Download

Sasktel Image
    Mirror 1: Download root66_BWA_I747MVLUEMK5.7z

I747MVLDMF1 (JB 4.1.2)
    Mirror 1: Download root66_BWA_I747MVLDMF1.7z

I747MVLDLK4 (JB 4.1.1)
    Mirror 1: Download root66_BWA_I747MVLDLK4.7z

I747MVLALH1 (ICS 4.0.4)
    Perm Mirror 1: Sasktel I747MVLALH1 Download
    Perm Mirror 2: Thanks to zaghy2zy!: Sasktel I747MVLALH1 Download

Fido Image
    Mirror 1: Download root66_FMC_I747MVLDMF1.7z

I747MVLDLK4 (JB 4.1.1)
    Mirror 1: Download root66_FMC_I747MVLDLK4.7z

Puerto Rico Image
    Current I747MUMBLL1 (JB 4.1.1)
    Mirror 1: Download root66_PCT_I747MUMBLL1.7z

Koodoo Mobile Image
    Mirror 1: Download root66_KDO_I747MVLDMF1.7z

I747MVLDLK4 (JB 4.1.1)
    Mirror 1: Download root66_KDO_I747MVLDLK4.7z

Second,
    Extract the root66_xxx_.tar.md5 from the .7z file you downloaded.
    Use Odin, put phone into download mode [with phone off, hold vol. down + home + power ], connect to computer and open Odin.
    once in odin click the PDA field and select the root66_xxx_.tar.md5 you downloaded.
    Leave Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time checked.
    click start and
    when done let phone reboot.
    If you have issues flashing with Odin please ensure you are using the microusb cable that came with the phone, users have had issues using other cables.
    If you just want a stock, rooted phone with no custom recovery, no plans to flash custom roms, etc. then you can stop HERE.

Third, (optional) On JellyBean versions, flashing a custom recovery will trip your counter no matter the method used.
    To get clockworkmod recovery loaded so you can flash whatever you want, nandroid, etc then continue on....
    Once rebooted you can grab a universal recovery that works on all sgs3 LTE variants from here: http://www.epiccm.org/2012/06/cwm-recovery-on-all-sgs3-lte-variants.html
    if you download this recovery you will need to extract this file (if you have issues extracting try removing the .md5 extension first) to get a recovery.img file and copy to your phone's internal /sdcard

However if you have the ATT model (not sure if this will work on Bell, Telus, Rogers, etc.), this recovery will see the extSdCard and seems better for our devices:
    For ATT models use either this recovery or this touch recovery.

connect your phone to computer and use adb
    type adb shell
    once in the shell run su
    then
    dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18

Third, alternate if unfamiliar with adb commands
    Grab android terminal emulator from the play store and run the same commands starting with su in the box below.

Here is output of what I did (using the att non-touch recovery file):
    Code:
    shell@android:/ $ su
    shell@android:/ # dd if=/sdcard/recovery-clockwork-5.8.4.5-d2att.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18
    14004+0 records in
    14004+0 records out
    7170048 bytes transferred in 1.430 secs (5014019 bytes/sec)
    shell@android:/ # 

shell@android:/ # reboot recovery

Third, alternate #3 if unfamiliar with adb commands and uncomfortable using any command line
    Decide if you want to use TWRP or CWM.
    If you would like to install ClockworkMod recovery then grab Rom Manager from the Play store and in the menu select to install ClockworkMod Recovery.
    If you would like to install TeamWin Recovery Project then grab GooManager from the Play store and select the option to "Install OpenRecovery Script".

Using the method's above, at least in my two tests, wiped nothing off my phone. everything in sdcard remained etc.

ADB Install/Setup info found in post #3 of tomween1's [DIRECTORY] AT&T SGS lll I747 thread

De-Bloater
    If you've made it this far with a stock, rooted phone with cwm and you don't want to flash a custom rom (which will do its own de-bloating) you can check out my Aroma installer based De-bloater to easily get rid of bloat system apps you no longer want to see. Simply flash in CWM like anything else and you will be presented with a menu system to choose what to remove. If you are unsure it is safe to pick Recommended and still get a decent de-bloat.​

Miscellaneous Files
    Odin Flashable TWRP Recovery - This is an Odin Flashable Team Win Recovery Project Recovery - openrecovery-twrp-2.3.1.0-d2att.tar.md5
    Odin Flashable Stock ATT UCDLK3 Recovery - This is an Odin Flashable STOCK Recovery for ATT from UCDLK3 release - ATT_recovery_I747UCDLK3.tar.md5
    CWM Flashable ATT UCDLK3 Modem - modem_CWM_I747UCDLK3.zip

Thanks
    To get the injected root system image I followed pieces of
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=27801304&postcount=1
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22798858&postcount=32

so thanks to those guys. Neither of those worked out of the box needed a bit of tweaking.

Thanks to pinoymutt for this: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=28018181&postcount=26
    which is the method above to getting recovery in without tripping counter.
    CWM-flashable recoveries

Updated OP with the recovery for our phone now.

I created CWM-flashable ZIPs of the two new AT&T recoveries as well as v4 of Team Epic's recovery. If you already have a recovery installed, you can flash these to switch recoveries to avoid the dd thing.
    Just read these 33 pages. #rooting101

I made a FAQ from all I learned, if you wanted to add this to the OP or just leave it here:

Wait--what is the flash counter?

It's an internal warranty-breaking scheme implemented by Samsung. It counts how many times you've modified the phone in certain ways. Yes, "certain ways": flashing some ways won't trip the counter. And if you trip it, flashing back to stock won't get rid of it. You can use the paid Triangle Away app to reset the flash counter, as noted below.

What does it look like if I trip the counter?

For those who keep asking.... Here`s how it looks like if your Trip counter has been tripped

http://bayimg.com/jaahfaaeb.jpg

and here's how it looks like if you have NOT tripped it, yet

http://bayimg.com/jaahhaaeb.jpg

don't know how to see this screen? Power down your phone... then press VOLUME UP + HOME + POWER BUTTON at the same time until a confirmation screen appears. Press Volume Up to get to this screen...

You are going to want to do VOLUME DOWN + HOME + POWER BUTTON to enter download mode.
    Easy way to remember is vol DOWN enters DOWNLOAD mode. when you hold vo up + home + power you get to recovery.

What WILL trip the flash counter:

Do NOT NOT NOT used Odin to flash CWM, or your counter will increment. The only thing you can ever flash with Odin is the rooted system image in the OP.

After that you need to flash CWM using dd, whether through a terminal, ssh, adb, whatever.

After that you have CWM and all your flashing should be from CWM to not trip counter.

If you ever flash anything through Odin other than one of these images designed not to trip the counter, it will trip it.

Good luck!

Don't flash cwm recovery using ODIN, that will trip the counter. Put the recovery on as the first post in this thread says to do it.

Yes, with MOBILE Odin you can flash anything without tripping root, consider it like CWM.

Nothing in CWM will affect the flash counter now. Just flashing unofficial with ODIN does that. The device status field is a completely different thing that you really don't need to worry about unless you want to return your device for warranty. At that point you'd factory reset, ODIN flash stock firmware and it would be Normal. Its not a field that gets "tripped" and remains that way.

JB ONLY BELOW (THESE NEXT TWO QUOTES):
    From Doc's page about tripping the counter

In short, it appears the primary triggers for tripping the flash/binary counter are Custom Kernels during normal bootup, and Custom Recoveries only when booting into Recovery.

Any custom recovery, regardless of how you got it there will trip the counter on this latest JB.

So, in summary: flashing anything through Odin EXCEPT THE FILES IN THE FIRST POST will trip the flash counter (this applies to all phones). If you are a JB user and have a custom recovery or custom kernel, you will trip the flash counter (but only once...meaning, you'll go to 1 and stay at 1).

Oh, crap! I tripped it already!

I agree no one should lose sleep over tripping the flash counter. But I still like there being a method to root that won't trip it. (No reason to go through resetting it or paying for an app if you simply don't have to) Outside of that I like that this is completely stock outside of having root injected so its a good base to fall back on if you've otherwise messed up your phone flashing a bad kernel or recovery. You can hit this in Odin and get your phone back working starting with root.

"Paying for an app"? What's he talking about? Oh, right, Chainfire's Triangle Away app; it costs US $2.49 and will reset your flash counter to No/0.

Can I lose my IMEI doing this?

No, as far as we can tell. Of the thousands of people who've run this, no one has came back to tell us they lost their IMEI this way. ;)

I haven't heard of anyone losing IMEI flashing anything with ODIN. I can't claim to have read every thread but it seems to be something that can happen flashing things with non stock recovery only. IF that is true then you can at least root your phone safely with this.

No. I don't think anyone has had imei issues flashing in Odin. Just using cwm or a custom recovery from everything I've read.

So, similar to how Samsung tracks the flash counter, Android tracks your "Device status," which can be viewed Settings->About Device->Status->Device Status (at the very bottom). As noted below, it's triggered by installing BusyBox.

There are two things people are referring to:

1. The binary flash counter - which is the counter that exists when you enter download mode. This is tripped by flashing unsigned code to your phone via Odin or other methods (other than the root in this thread). Once you follow the instructions to root and get CWM in this thread, flashing further items via CWM or installation (like busybox) from the Play store should not affect the counter.

*At this time, once you trip this counter there is no known way at this time to reset it*

2. There is another area called "Device Status" which can be found by navigating to Settings > About Phone > Status > scroll to the bottom. At this time messing with different things seems to change this value to 'Modified' such as installing Busybox or LBE, or making other changes.

*I personally am not too concerned about this one because flashing the stock ROMs posted in the sticky will revert you back to stock (recovery and all) and revert this device status back to the original state if you need to return your phone, sell it, etc.

Hope this helps.

Wait, what's BusyBox?

Busybox contains all the linux command stuff you need to work on the command line, such as the dd command, etc.

has anyone figured out a way to install busybox with out having the status set to "modified"?
    not to my knowledge and i'm not sure the motivation behind trying. if you need to return phone you just flash back to stock and it goes back to normal. if you haven't tripped the download mode counter then you'd be all set.

Wait, what did Mr. Robinson just say? I can just flash back to stock and the modified status goes back to normal? YES. So, nobody cares about the modified status. :D

Other important things you should know! :)

You can remove root by using a root file explorer to remove /system/app/superuser, /system/bin/su and /system/xbin/su. After you reboot, you'll not longer be rooted.

If I do this will it wip all data on my phone? and not tripping the counter will maintain the warranty?
    No and yes respectively.

Worked awesome on my AT&T SIII. Just one question, sorry if its been asked before I could not find the answer.
    After a reboot the market said there is an update for superuser, is it safe to just update or will that bork the version of superuser installed from the original post?
    Safe to update. It was just updated since I injected it into the ATT one. The Bell, telus, rogers should have the updated one as I did those later.

Well it worked, as expected. However I got superuser, not supersu. I clicked the link above, but it lead me to a post. That post contained a link that lead me back to this thread.

Anyways, is this a problem?

No, now that you are rooted you can install whatever su you want. I stuck with the traditional ones.

the factory reset through cwm or stock recovery will wipe data. This will leave this image intact with its root. If you format system you'll need to reload something.

if coming from a different base you really need to wipe data in recovery. this odin will give you the stock kernel so no reason to worry about that. Its just the /data side that will cause issues if coming from a non TW base.

if you're coming from an AOSP ROM, also flash the stock kernal, and wipe cache in recovery...
    I tried Super SU survival mode but still lost root after the update. I guess I'll just have to wait for Mr. Robinson to work his magic.

incoming...
    Rogers is up. Telus will be next, then Bell then that other one like 4 people have.
    Rogers jelly bean update is out will we get a stock rooted image soon? Can't wait!!

Yep. Rogers will be the first I post. Then Bell, Telus and Sasktel. Will update to I747MVLDLK4 which is JB 4.1.1