KF shuts down when connected to cable

Search This thread

lilmonk3

Jan 9, 2014
I really want to root this dang KF but every time I hook it up to any charger or cable it goes black and shuts down.... I have read all over the net the last few weeks and seems this isnt super common like the charging port problem... It works good when running on the battery. Anyone have any ideas before it gets used for target practice?

Oh and I am not a total newbie, but its been several years since I have been here and made a new user name.

Thepooch

Mar 31, 2012
I really want to root this dang KF but every time I hook it up to any charger or cable it goes black and shuts down.... I have read all over the net the last few weeks and seems this isnt super common like the charging port problem... It works good when running on the battery. Anyone have any ideas before it gets used for target practice?

Oh and I am not a total newbie, but its been several years since I have been here and made a new user name.
First generation kindle fire? Are you using the correct cable? If both of these are true seems you have a kindle with a serious hardware issue. How do you manage to charge it? Best to avoid rooting this one till that issue has been remedied.

lilmonk3

Jan 9, 2014
First generation kindle fire? Are you using the correct cable? If both of these are true seems you have a kindle with a serious hardware issue. How do you manage to charge it? Best to avoid rooting this one till that issue has been remedied.

1st gen and Yes I have tried the amazon cable/plug, and many others that I have laying around.. It charges just fine, it just goes black screen when I plug any cable into it via wall or PC. I have done every hard reset I can find on the net... I got this at a friends pawn shop so I am not out much.. I was wanting to root it and give it to the neighbor kid that has downs syndrome.

Last edited:

Thepooch

Mar 31, 2012
1st gen and Yes I have tried the amazon cable/plug, and many others that I have laying around.. It charges just fine, it just goes black screen when I plug any cable into it via wall or PC. I have done every hard reset I can find on the net... I got this at a friends pawn shop so I am not out much.. I was wanting to root it and give it to the neighbor kid that has downs syndrome.
Try this when connected to charger long press power button for 1 min. then let go then press as if to simply power on the device. Sending a bootloader to this Kindle is extremely risky if it powers off during the send the bootloader can be broken. This is the second hardest brick to recover from the first being a dead battery :p . Chances are this device has been rooted before and that`s why it was pawned look for evidence of being opened maybe someone incorrectly applied the short trick to recover from a hard brick. Which might be the best way to go about rooting it http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1430038 . Are you sure the backlight is not remaining on but just giving the appearance that it is off? The first gen. kindle fire will not charge without a running system.

lilmonk3

Jan 9, 2014
Try this when connected to charger long press power button for 1 min. then let go then press as if to simply power on the device. Sending a bootloader to this Kindle is extremely risky if it powers off during the send the bootloader can be broken. This is the second hardest brick to recover from the first being a dead battery :p . Chances are this device has been rooted before and that`s why it was pawned look for evidence of being opened maybe someone incorrectly applied the short trick to recover from a hard brick. Which might be the best way to go about rooting it http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1430038 . Are you sure the backlight is not remaining on but just giving the appearance that it is off? The first gen. kindle fire will not charge without a running system.

I am not home right now, but will try your suggestion when I get home. I have never owned a kindle so I am not sure of how the start up progression is.. But when I plug it in the screen seems to go black ( in a dark room) and once I take it off the charger and push power button it brings up the "Kindle Fire" screen and it kind of pulses then goes to the unlock screen.. Its there suppose to be a charging indicator light? I dont see one when I plug it in

Thepooch

Mar 31, 2012
I am not home right now, but will try your suggestion when I get home. I have never owned a kindle so I am not sure of how the start up progression is.. But when I plug it in the screen seems to go black ( in a dark room) and once I take it off the charger and push power button it brings up the "Kindle Fire" screen and it kind of pulses then goes to the unlock screen.. Its there suppose to be a charging indicator light? I dont see one when I plug it in
Yes the led should light green for charged and orange for depleted or charging.

Last edited:

lilmonk3

Jan 9, 2014
Yes the led should light green for charged and orange for depleted or charging.

Ok I tried the 1 minute reset deal again, no joy.. I inspected the case and there is zero sings of tampering.. While I was out , I ran by my friends pawn shop and got another kindle charger.. He had another kindle he just gave me in case I needed parts... This new kindle wont boot on Press the power button and nothing shows up .. It shows orange charging light and green power light comes on briefly when power is pushed and then the green light shuts off after 3 seconds.. I am going to read the thread about firekit and shorting info.. Goal is to get the one that actutally boots repaired then might study up on the other one..

lilmonk3

Jan 9, 2014
Just an update.. Dumb me , I said it was a 1st but it is indeed a 2nd gen... Sorry all for posting in the wrong forum.. But even with that said, it still shuts off the minute I connect a charging cable LOL.

boston1807

Aug 13, 2018
2nd gen same issue...shuts down when connected to computer- computer won't recognize

Just an update.. Dumb me , I said it was a 1st but it is indeed a 2nd gen... Sorry all for posting in the wrong forum.. But even with that said, it still shuts off the minute I connect a charging cable LOL.

Did you ever figure out how to solve issue? I have same problem. It used to work fine. I have another, identical, it works fine. All the sudden, one of the kindles 2nd gen HD started to act up. If I connect it to computer it gives me error message that it is a low powering device.. computer does not recognize anything was plugged in then kindle shuts down exact way as you described it. Tried reboot computer, kindle, long holding power button, connect while off then start up...you name it. (Charges up fine with wall plug in too... I fully charged it to make sure that is not the issue...all I keep seeing on net is reset...but that did not solve my issue.) So if you can share any wisdom it would be great!!!
Thanks!!!