[Q] 10 bit 1080p Video

Search This thread

trowgundam

May 29, 2013
Smyrna, TN
It works fine for me. I've played the Video in XBMC, MX Player and VLC. All of them are able to play my highest quality stuff (2GB MKV with a length of about 24 minutes) with SSA subtitles with no lag. However, in XBMC and MX Player there is noticeable corruption in the image and discoloration as well. It is worse the higher the bitrate with it being most unnoticeable with 10bit 720p video. There is a hint of it with 8bit, so much so I'm not sure if it is an optical illusion or not. For whatever reason I did not see this with VLC. I think it is because it was using software codec versus hardware codec. I'm not entirely sure because VLC would crash if I took it Auto for which Codec to use. Also the H/W+ codec in MX Player would crash no matter what video I tried to play (resolution or 8/10bit). Also XBMC would crash if I limited the codec to only Stagefright. The other Hardware Codec and Software Rendering worked just fine.

Cube623

Feb 7, 2011
Dear trowgundam,
did you try the version v1.7.31 of MX Player Pro? It now supports natively the K1 but it isn't so stable...

Just to clarify that I'm using v1.7.31 of MX Player Pro and the colour corruption\pixelation is still present with HW+ or HW decoder used. SW decoder works fine for most purposes. I see the same problem in XBMC (latest nightly) with Hardware acceleration used.

I did find the performance suffers a little bit with the SW decoder (got a lot of dropped frames on a very high bitrate version of Psycho-Pass I was watching but everything else seemed fine, nowhere near as bad as my old Nexus 10 however which is a massive plus). The tablet gets quite hot and battery life really suffers as I'm guessing only the CPU is being utilized?

It's a damn shame because the HW decoder works fine with 10-bit video apart from this problem but it can get so bad in certain scenes that it's not really usable.