[HOWTO] Change PRL on Virgin Mobile LG Optimus V (5/06/2011)

Search This thread

freddysam

Nov 18, 2009
followed your steps and got the same results as kate.

getting extremely frusterated with the process.

What happens after you uninstall the Android Sooner Single ADB Interface Driver and delete it? Does the phone show up as an unrecognized device?

Do you see the "LGE Android Platform USB Serial Port" when you try to add the driver manually?

I'm not sure why this happens.

Necrosan

Dec 12, 2007
Milwaukee
For what it's worth this also does not work for me to obtain the MSL, and I can see the proper com port.

Cdma workshop just says "cannot connect" compared to "port not open" for non open ports.

Port shows that it is fine and working, no warning triangles on the device in device manager or anything.

I'm also on Windows 7 x64.

Easiest way is to downgrade to an older firmware version and pull the MSL thru adb until this method is finalized.
No issues with that method.

freddysam

Nov 18, 2009
For what it's worth this also does not work for me to obtain the MSL, and I can see the proper com port.

Cdma workshop just says "cannot connect" compared to "port not open" for non open ports.

Port shows that it is fine and working, no warning triangles on the device in device manager or anything.

I'm also on Windows 7 x64.

Easiest way is to downgrade to an older firmware version and pull the MSL thru adb until this method is finalized.
No issues with that method.

I just did a clean install of the drivers on a new windows 7 x64 machine using the drivers I linked to. It worked flawlessly. I think the problem you people are having is caused by installing other drivers. You need to manually remove those drivers. I posted how to do that repeatedly. Device manager> Right click the incorrect driver> Uninstall> check the box to delete the driver. Unplug and replug your USB cable. If an incorrect driver installs, repeat the steps to remove it. You could have multiple copies of the same driver. Keep doing this until device manager comes back with "unknown device". Right click on it and select Update Driver Software> Browse my Computer> Let me pick from a list> All> (wait for the list to be populated)> LG Electronics Inc> LGE Android Platform USB Serial.

If you don't see LG Electronics Inc, then you haven't even installed the drivers pack yet. Install it and replug the USB.

Reactions: ejlmd

Kate6

Mar 25, 2009
Vancouver, WA
I just did a clean install of the drivers on a new windows 7 x64 machine using the drivers I linked to. It worked flawlessly. I think the problem you people are having is caused by installing other drivers. You need to manually remove those drivers. I posted how to do that repeatedly. Device manager> Right click the incorrect driver> Uninstall> check the box to delete the driver. Unplug and replug your USB cable. If an incorrect driver installs, repeat the steps to remove it. You could have multiple copies of the same driver. Keep doing this until device manager comes back with "unknown device". Right click on it and select Update Driver Software> Browse my Computer> Let me pick from a list> All> (wait for the list to be populated)> LG Electronics Inc> LGE Android Platform USB Serial.

If you don't see LG Electronics Inc, then you haven't even installed the drivers pack yet. Install it and replug the USB.

Already did that numerous times. It doesn't come back with "Unknown device," it comes back with "LG Android USB Device" and shows a little bubble in the system tray saying it failed to install drivers. If I click on the bubble for more info, it pops up a little window that says "LG Android USB Device" then a red X, then "No driver found."

At that point I install your drivers, unplug and replug in the phone and it comes up with the "Android Sooner Single ADB Interface" again, except this time it has a yellow triangle icon on it with an exclamation mark. When I click on it, the "Device Status" in the window that comes up says "Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)"

This appears to be a possibly corrupt driver included in your software package. I've just tried it on a *third* computer and it's still there. At least one of the three computers I've tried this on had a *fresh* (2 day old) install of Windows 7 on it where no other LG drivers had ever been installed, and this still came up on it.

In any case, if I click on the malfunctioning "Sooner Single" from your package, choose Uninstall and check the "Delete the driver software box" I then again get an "LG Android USB Device" for which drivers could not be found, just like before I installed your driver package. I then go through your recommended manual procedure to choose the "LGE Android Platform USB Serial Port" driver. And when I try to open that port in CDMA workshop, it's unable to.

I've done this on three different computers now. There are no other COM ports set up on any of them. No Bluetooth Serial, no GPS serial port, nothing. So no conflicts. I also tried pretty much every COM port between 1 and 7 (or whatever the highest the demo lets you use) on all three.

Necrosan

Dec 12, 2007
Milwaukee

That was actually the first thing I did, so no that isn't it. ;)

freddysam

Nov 18, 2009
Already did that numerous times. It doesn't come back with "Unknown device," it comes back with "LG Android USB Device" and shows a little bubble in the system tray saying it failed to install drivers. If I click on the bubble for more info, it pops up a little window that says "LG Android USB Device" then a red X, then "No driver found."

At that point I install your drivers, unplug and replug in the phone and it comes up with the "Android Sooner Single ADB Interface" again, except this time it has a yellow triangle icon on it with an exclamation mark. When I click on it, the "Device Status" in the window that comes up says "Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)"

This appears to be a possibly corrupt driver included in your software package. I've just tried it on a *third* computer and it's still there. At least one of the three computers I've tried this on had a *fresh* (2 day old) install of Windows 7 on it where no other LG drivers had ever been installed, and this still came up on it.

In any case, if I click on the malfunctioning "Sooner Single" from your package, choose Uninstall and check the "Delete the driver software box" I then again get an "LG Android USB Device" for which drivers could not be found, just like before I installed your driver package. I then go through your recommended manual procedure to choose the "LGE Android Platform USB Serial Port" driver. And when I try to open that port in CDMA workshop, it's unable to.

I've done this on three different computers now. There are no other COM ports set up on any of them. No Bluetooth Serial, no GPS serial port, nothing. So no conflicts. I also tried pretty much every COM port between 1 and 7 (or whatever the highest the demo lets you use) on all three.

Here is the problem, stop installing the drivers by running the exe. You already have the correct drivers on your computer. After you uninstall the Sooner drivers, don't reinstall the package. Make sure USB debugging is on, plug in your phone, then go into the device manager. If you don't see "unknown device", then right click at the top of the list where it says your computer name and select, "add legacy hardware" then go through the process to add the "LGE Android Platform USB Serial Port" drivers.

Every time you reinstall the package you are getting another copy of the Sooner drivers along with the LGE drivers. I'm not sure why it is not working. You even acknowledge seeing the LGE drivers.

Last edited:

Kate6

Mar 25, 2009
Vancouver, WA
Here is the problem, stop installing the drivers by running the exe. You already have the correct drivers on your computer. After you uninstall the Sooner drivers, don't reinstall the package. Make sure USB debugging is on, plug in your phone, then go into the device manager. If you don't see "unknown device", then right click at the top of the list where it says your computer name and select, "add legacy hardware" then go through the process to add the "LGE Android Platform USB Serial Port" drivers.

Every time you reinstall the package you are getting another copy of the Sooner drivers along with the LGE drivers. I'm not sure why it is not working. You even acknowledge seeing the LGE drivers.

Okay...

(1) Thus far, every time I've attempted to do this and it's failed, I've removed the .EXE using the Remove Programs controlled panel when I finished off. Having removed it, I'm fairly sure there were no copies of the drivers left on my system. The reason I'm fairly sure about this is because after removing it, if I plug in the phone, Windows tells me it was unable to find a driver for it.

(2) The LG drivers do not show up for me under the "Add legacy hardware" function.

(3) I'm fairly sure I'm following your instructions correctly, and yet CDMA Workshop is still unable to open that port.

LG.png

(4) Is there any way you could attach the actual .sys file for the driver that's working for you? If you right click on the entry for the COM port in the device manager, choose Properties => Driver => Driver Details, it should tell you what the actual file is.

(5) Any information on what ROM this is working for you with? I'm running the stock ROM, though I've rooted it and deleted a few unwanted programs from /system/app. I can't help but wonder if maybe this method only works with certain ROMs.

Thank you.

rjones1981

Nov 13, 2007
Try turning off your Optimus V while leaving the USB cable plugged in. When I did this, it installed the COM port in Device Manager automatically, and I was then able to use both CDMA Workshop and QPST without a problem.

Edit: I had to leave the phone off while accessing it with QPST and CDMA Workshop. When it's powered back up, the COM port no longer shows up in Device Manager.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kate6

freddysam

Nov 18, 2009

My driver is lganddiag64.sys ver 2.2.

I am using aospCMod, but I have done with with the stock rom too. The rom should not matter.

Where is says "Location:" it should be "on LGE Android Platform Composite USB Device". ....Hmmmmm....

Try rjones1981 suggestion. I don't know why that would work but it can't hurt at this point. I blamed this all on windows.

Kate6

Mar 25, 2009
Vancouver, WA
Try turning off your Optimus V while leaving the USB cable plugged in. When I did this, it installed the COM port in Device Manager automatically, and I was then able to use both CDMA Workshop and QPST without a problem.

Edit: I had to leave the phone off while accessing it with QPST and CDMA Workshop. When it's powered back up, the COM port no longer shows up in Device Manager.

This totally worked. I'm now running the 61677 hybrid PRL! Thank you ever so much to both freddysam, for figuring out most of the details of the process and for making the hybrid PRL, and to rjones1981, for figuring out the last critical bit that was fowling me up.

It's already very clear that I'm getting better signal within my apartment. I guess I'll see over the next few days how much better things are overall.

Oh, and freddy... I'm completely with you on blaming Windows for this. :) Windows, or possibly Canada. ;)

freddysam

Nov 18, 2009
This totally worked. I'm now running the 61677 hybrid PRL! Thank you ever so much to both freddysam, for figuring out most of the details of the process and for making the hybrid PRL, and to rjones1981, for figuring out the last critical bit that was fowling me up.

It's already very clear that I'm getting better signal within my apartment. I guess I'll see over the next few days how much better things are overall.

Oh, and freddy... I'm completely with you on blaming Windows for this. :) Windows, or possibly Canada. ;)

Haha, I'm glad it worked out. I'm going to add this to the main post. I still have no idea what caused this, and why turning the phone off fixed it. Windows!!!!! :D

crc111

Dec 11, 2010
Hello. I bought two Optimus V. Why do you have to change the PRL? Is it to gain more Sprint towers to connect from?

Thanks in advance.

crc111

Dec 11, 2010

I'm also using ADB and SuperOneClick. Does this driver work with ADB and SuperOneClick?

Thanks.

neutronscott

Jun 9, 2008
Charleston, SC
scottn.us
Yes, why? As a PRL is a preferred roaming list, and roaming isn't possible, how does this fix anything?

Are there Sprint towers which aren't already allowing VM handsets, or aren't advertising 3G?

I mean I was gonna try it anyway, just wondering if there's a technical explanation underneath which I'm missing..

freddysam

Nov 18, 2009
Yes, why? As a PRL is a preferred roaming list, and roaming isn't possible, how does this fix anything?

Are there Sprint towers which aren't already allowing VM handsets, or aren't advertising 3G?

I mean I was gonna try it anyway, just wondering if there's a technical explanation underneath which I'm missing..

The VM PRL has a very limited set of acquisition records it will try when not roaming. The Sprint PRL has drastically more. The term roaming list is a bit of a misnomer as the PRL is used to figure out which bands/frequencies to try to find a signal. Only a subset of those are labeled as roaming. The rest are operated by Sprint. Although we can't prove it, the Sprint PRL could give you more coverage.

tytyty11

Aug 3, 2009
So I am using windows xp 32 bit and i was having the same problem with the device not showing in the ports... Tried everything... Then i turned off the phone and the ports showed up however i cant access it through qpst because while reading the phone about 80% through it stops and says "The Phone has stopped responding to memory read/write commands"

HELP! i got my MSL and everything but i just cant get it to read correctly in QPST

EDIT: I AM DUMB AND DIDNT READ THE DIRECTIONS

Last edited:

Step1Mark

Jan 18, 2010
Orlando, Florida
Worked for me.

I just went through all the steps in what felt like less than 2 minutes. I live out in the middle of no where and no one really gets service here so I cant test the results yet. I will be sure to post a follow up about the process and results. If I get the time I will put together a video tutorial that the OP can add to his guide if he likes.

Reactions: freddysam

freddysam

Nov 18, 2009
I just went through all the steps in what felt like less than 2 minutes. I live out in the middle of no where and no one really gets service here so I cant test the results yet. I will be sure to post a follow up about the process and results. If I get the time I will put together a video tutorial that the OP can add to his guide if he likes.

A video would be great, thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I saw this information posted elsewhere in pieces and thought I'd bring it together. I didn't make this procedure, but I can confirm that it works (and so can many others now). This is absolutely for the LG Optimus V and no other phone. Do not do this unless you understand what a PRL is and why you are doing it. There is some risk in doing this. I'm sure Virgin and Sprint would not be happy to know of this mod. It might even be blocked in the future by changing the way Sprint's towers filters Virgin users. Do this at your own risk! I take no responsibility!

1. Requirements:

Windows
    LG Optimus V USB Serial Drivers (updated 3/22/2011)
    Read the first few pages of this thread if you have driver issues. You can also try this. Thank you rjones1981.

You don't need to have a rooted phone to do this.

2. Get Your MSL Code:

New Technique (thanks to mmarz)
    1. Log into your Virgin Mobile account.
    2. Click this link
    3. Although you get a 404 error page, search the page for "msl:"
    4. The six numbers after msl: are your MSL code. Write them down.

Old Technique
    1. Download CDMA Workshop 3.6.0 Demo
    2. Turn on USB Debugging, and connect your phone to your PC.
    3. Open Device Manager.
    4. Ports > LGE Android Platform USB Serial Port > Properties > Port Settings > Advanced > COM port number
    5. Change the value to a port number below 10. (demo restriction of CDMA Workshop)
    6. Run CDMA Workshop
    7. Select the proper port from step 4. Hit "Connect."
    8. Under the "Security" tab, find "SPC/User Lock."
    9. Change the drop down menu to "LG method," and click "Read."
    10. Write down the number that appears in the box. This is your MSL code. Now close CDMA Workshop, we won't need it anymore.

3. Update Your PRL:
    1. Connect your phone to your computer using a USB cable.
    2. Open Device Manager.
    3. Ports > LGE Android Platform USB Serial Port > Properties > Port Settings > Advanced > COM port number
    4. Make a note of your COM port number.
    5. Download and install QPST v2.7.
    6. Open "QPST Configuration".
    7. In the "Ports" tab, if your com port isn't listed, select "Add New Port" and write in your com port as "COM#" (# being the number you noted in step 4). Verify that your com port is listed.
    8. Make sure your phone appears in the the "Active Phones" tab.
    9. Click "Start Clients." Choose "SERVICE PROGRAMMING." Select your phone.
    10. Click "Read from Phone."
    11. Enter your MSL code when promoted. (It will not finish reading from your phone. It will stop near the end and report an error. This is normal.)
    12. Hit "Save to File" to backup your phone's settings and PRL to a .qcn file. (Optional but recommended)
    13. Select the "Roaming" tab.
    14. Under "Preferred Roaming Enable" choose "Browse..." and select the 01115.prl or 61677.prl file. (attached below, also see update 6)
    15. Under the "System" tab change "Roam Preference" to "Home only". (Optional but recommended)
    16. Click "Write to Phone," and your phone should immediately reboot. Do not disconnect your phone until it has booted back up.

To confirm that this worked, go into settings > about phone > status. You should have the new PRL and all that it entails. To reverse the process, follow the same steps but use the Virgin 61007 PRL or use your .qcn backup by selecting "Load from File" in the QPST SERVICE PROGRAMMING.

If you try different PRL's and get better service, please post your results here.

Update 1: Even though you can enable roaming using the QPST System tab under Roam Preferences, and you can actually connect to the Verizon towers, your calls will prompt you for a credit card, and your data will not work while roaming. I recommend leaving roaming on "Home Only." Even though you can't roam, an updated PRL will give you better coverage on Sprint's network. There are already reports that this fixes the 3G connectivity issue.

Update 2: I have created a hybrid PRL numbered 61676. I manually picked that number, and it may conflict with the PRL # of one released in the distant future, just fyi. I created the PRL by taking 60676 and removing a few roaming entries to make room. I then compared the entries in 61007 to it, and added all the non-roaming entries that 60676 lacked. It will almost be impossible to figure out if these additional entries help at all, but they can't hurt. I'm attaching 61676 below if you guys want to test it out. I promise nothing, but so far my phone has not complained about using it. Let me know how it works out if you do try it.

Update 3: Added new 60677 and a new hybrid 61677

Update 4: Proof that it is worthwhile to do!

Update 5: Added 01115 PRL. It is the latest from Sprint. Don't know why it is numbered like it is. I'm not going to make another hybrid prl for it because it is too time consuming, and I see no benefits from it.

Update 6: I'll no longer keep this updated for new PRL's. You can find new ones as they are posted here: http://cid-eabe29f3770d8d15.skydriv...Public/PRLs?ppud=4&wa=wsignin1.0&sa=636785150

Update 7: Newest PRL posted here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=17690691&postcount=201

Roaming does not work on Virgin Mobile! If you do roam, you will not receive your phone calls or texts, and you won't be able to make calls or send texts! Your data will also not work if roaming. Set your "Roam Preference" to "Home only", and you don't have to worry about roaming.
    This was never in pieces, why don't you give proper thanks to the original poster from android central?

http://forum.androidcentral.com/opt...irgin-mobile-prl-61007-needed-enter-help.html

Haha, you should be asking why he doesn't give proper thanks to me. I wrote this, and he copied it. Before I wrote it, it was spread out over a bunch of posts. I don't really care either way. I didn't invent the phone, the programs, or the procedure. I'm just glad the info is out there.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/opt...prl-61007-needed-enter-help-5.html#post715849

I guess he did reference me. :)
    Here is my version of CDMA Workshop. I believe it is 3.6.0, it works

Enjoy
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?3zwgsuqwtq2qa4e

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The latest sprint prl's can be found here (I'm not liable, if you flash an incompatible one) He keeps them updated pretty good. I'm currently on the 60685 (a tad old I know, lol).

http://www.batonrougebroadband.info

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1747257
    i just want to confirm, do i need to revert to stock to do this? i'm currently running Backside. thanks!

you don't have to revert, just use xionia recovery and use qpst while booted into recovery. Even if you can't see the screen because of an older version of xionia, it'll still allow qpst to talk to the hardware, and you can flash your existing recovery back with flash image gui from backside, or with adb or terminal if you prefer.

someone said earlier that they were able to use qpst with iho, maybe bob fixed the usb id issues in the kernel... you can try qpst before changing recoveries, and if it can talk to the phone, you're good to go without changing anything.

if iho kernel is now working with qpst, please post that info and I'll stop telling people it doesn't work :p