[Q] Newbie trying to jump from stock to CM11

Search This thread

johnnyrio

Jan 22, 2014
Hi everyone !

First, thanks for all the developers and the other contributors for such a great piece of software.

I have a Nook HD+ that I have given to my step-daughter as an early Xmas gift (back in October). It was on offer on Ebay for $120 and I could not resist the price for an HD tablet with a 9" display. Much better cost benefit than an iPad Mini ($329 at the time) non HD display.

There is two main reasons for installing CM11:
a) Miracast (she has a miracast-enabled LG tv)
b) performance improvement (over stock Nook)

From what I had gathered so fat, Jelly Bean prior to 4.3 and CM prior to CM11 (CM 10.1 and 10.2) did not have MIRACAST support. That is one of the reasons I had hold out so far.

Just to make sure before I read the instructions and jump in:
- all the functionalities (wifi, sleep, auto brightness, etc) work on CM 11 ?
- after I made the backup and installed CM11, I can revert back to original configuration without losing my setup/profiles/apps ?
- what are the best SIMPLE tools to implement backup/install/restore using a Macbook ?

Thanks again for all the help ! :good::good::good:

Sherip

Jan 26, 2012
AFAIK Miracast doesn't work at this point in CM11 on HD or HD+.

Sent from HD+ MAG2GA CM 11 from SD

tech3475

Nov 4, 2013
Bear in mind I'm another noobie.

Miracast: I don't know, there's supposedly a tweak in beta that MAY work at least work with Chromecast but I haven't tried it or looked deeply into it. There is a HDMI adapter available but I don't know if it works on CM.

Performance: I haven't had any performance issues so far although the battery is a little concerning (I've had this for a few days).

Function: Haven't tested HDMI or auto-brightness (does it support it?) but so far no problems (in fact I upgraded to CM11 because it fixed my BT problem).

Backup/Restore: So long as you make a backup first using CWM/TWRP this should be possible, my advice is after making a SD card backup keep the same CM and backup together (maybe even as an image (you can use DD on OSX)).

Method to backup: The main methods involve merely an SD card so as long as you have a micro SD/SD adapter and reader you should be fine, just format them as FAT32 in disk utility.

jpisini

Nov 26, 2011
Weymouth
The HDMI works on all versions of CM so far I have used it.

Sent from my PG86100 using xda app-developers app

disappearer

Aug 3, 2012
I don't think auto brightness works on any version, nor stock. The nook has no sensors for it as far as I can see. On Cm11 I can't enable it.

adam_ky

Feb 3, 2014
I used cwm recovery,which is needed to put cm on ur nook, to backup my stock rom. To be honest though i have never used that backup and never will. I have been threw several iistalls of different cm versions since and all worked great. The stock bn rom is junk and you will never look back
I was scared at first to go threw with it but glad i did. This site and youtube was of a big help to me getting it installed right. In the end though it was a pretty easy process.

Go for it