TESTING: global kernel with a lot of changes ...

Search This thread

joveen

Mar 9, 2010
Hi camro,

I will remove the data.img and retry.

Out of curiosity.
What does below files do?
data.img
rootfs

willcor

Oct 2, 2008
camro,
just quick.note...

i agree again .. with joveen ,(redetecting signal etc...)
my observation and impression ,
was also that android was not trying to
redetect the signal..?
thus.. i was having " deep sleep issues "
... and i forgot..
when it would detect signal (after i had to manual reset..)
i could not use "shut down option ".(long end key press... )
it would ask shutdown ..etc... and then go through the motions and vibrate once get stuck/freeze....!!( time and time , again..!!)
result... i had to remove battery or press manual , reset button ........

important....
this was also before i tested your kernel.and even with your kernel ... same pattern.)

i was using your battery1% kernel and others ) .

so in all...very smooth this morning ..!!
...been running android / with updated kernel for 5...7 hours (.no problems at all..)battery use has been overall good /..stable
and signal is very stable ..thus i had no deep sleep issues..at all !!!

my conclusion./opinion .?
again i would say for some reason ? ( from time to time ) randomly ..android has problems redetecting.. /finding signal , resulting in sleep problem ?
(and i had plenty of "deep sleep issues " yesterday ) and yet..today... signal detection is very good .!!! resulting in no sleep problems..????
thank you ,
good luck ,
willcor

JRAGE

Sep 1, 2010
Riga
USB connection to PC (Windows 7)

Blackstone: ROM WM 6.1
Battery: original 1350 mAh

Battery charging/discharging definately is improved (holds at least 8-12 hours)
Phone seems to get slower, more unstable with latest three builds for battery charge/discharge improvements (crashes, freezes more often).
Also 2G/3G network after phone's return from sleep doesn't wake up (doesn't turn on 3G from 2G).
As wrote before, if B party drops the call I can't release the connection by pushing disconnect button (all time hearing busy signal) until timeout ~30 secs.
Tried to connect through USB to PC. After verification from phone side the message window opened:

Device driver software was not successfully installed
USB Composite Device v Ready to use
USB Mass Storage Device v Ready to use
XDA x No driver found
CDC Abstract Control Model (ACM) x No driver found
CDC ACM data x No driver found
HTC XDA USB Device v Ready to use

USB connection wasn't successful.
Didn't though understand regarding WLAN hotspots: Camro, did you mean we should not try to activate WiFi at all with this kernel or avoid using specific WiFi APs (free WLAN hotspots) ?

Anyway, thanks all you guys for patience and hard work and waiting for new improvements.

BR,
JRage

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    8.8 KB · Views: 91

camro

Apr 20, 2007
i'm a littel bit confused now ...
for testing purpose:
1.) use this kernel + modules
2.) use latest rootfs
3.) remove data.img (if exist, then all settings are deleted, and you must configure it from beginning)

for me: it is working for:
+ 2g/3g detection normal
+ WLAN -> normal
+ USB to windows 7 (64bit) - via adb or droid explorer -> normal
+ Battery % display -> normal

not perfect or buggy:
- Tethering
- AC USB detection very slow (~7sec)
- USB fast changing to AC
- battlog - always charging type 2
- WLAN hotspot - dangerous don't use it or 2g/3g detection will also not ok
- MASS Storage

kulwant

Jul 7, 2009
The new kernel modifications are better than the old one's battery charging if fixed. Now it shows that it's charging but the charging light on the device is no more visible.

I tried connecting the phone to the USB and it says
"There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into \Device\Harddisk\DR2."

The battery backup seems to be a little more promising now. Would post in the phone standby time charging it fully tomorrow...:)

willcor

Oct 2, 2008
hi camro,
just to answer you on your one question,(re: your post 16 )
no.. i did not play around or enable the" tethering "

just to add ,
my phone internet and wifi ( on phone ) works fine..!
no problems.

one further observation ,
i referred to my earlier post how every thing was smooth today...!!.
as soon as i activated my wifi ( never used it this morning )
(yes, used it earlier yesterday and then the sleep problems)
i notice my 3g signal disappear and notice that device could not redetect service..?
result....
..(i knew what was coming...yes my hunch was right )
anyway,disable wifi afterwards ,put device to sleep and yes .".deep sleep ".
......had to reset device manually

bottom line....
i now manage to get everything stable again ( steady 3g signal ,,phone waking up etc..) and yes phone is working smooth again ..!!

good luck
willcor

(just mention above, as i was using the updated kernel.
.but as stated earlier, it happens overall with all kernels i used so far .
maybe you can read something into this ....that might help ! )

camro

Apr 20, 2007
hi camro,
just to answer you on your one question,(re: your post 16 )
no.. i did not play around or enable the" tethering "

just to add ,
my phone internet and wifi ( on phone ) works fine..!
no problems.

one further observation ,
i referred to my earlier post how every thing was smooth today...!!.
as soon as i activated my wifi ( never used it this morning )
(yes, used it earlier yesterday and then the sleep problems)
i notice my 3g signal disappear and notice that device could not redetect service..?
result....
..(i knew what was coming...yes my hunch was right )
anyway,disable wifi afterwards ,put device to sleep and yes .".deep sleep ".
......had to reset device manually

bottom line....
i now manage to get everything stable again ( steady 3g signal ,,phone waking up etc..) and yes phone is working smooth again ..!!

good luck
willcor

(just mention above, as i was using the updated kernel.
.but as stated earlier, it happens overall with all kernels i used so far .
maybe you can read something into this ....that might help ! )

2g/3g detection ...
not sure .. you mean this a problem which also exist on older kernels ?

camro

Apr 20, 2007
The new kernel modifications are better than the old one's battery charging if fixed. Now it shows that it's charging but the charging light on the device is no more visible.

I tried connecting the phone to the USB and it says
"There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into \Device\Harddisk\DR2."

The battery backup seems to be a little more promising now. Would post in the phone standby time charging it fully tomorrow...:)

ähm - which charging light do you mean ?
do you mean the led on power button ? this is always "green" on my device ...
(OliWe tried to fix to switch the led off/ red/green ...but now display broken, maybe too much testing on that ..)

camro

Apr 20, 2007
this is my startup ...
Code:
set ramsize 0x10000000
set ramaddr 0x10000000
set mtype 2030
set KERNEL zImage
set initrd initrd.gz
set cmdline "gsensor_axis=-2,-1,3 lcd.density=240 msm_blackstone_pad.vibrate=1 msmvkeyb_toggle=off acpuclock.oc_freq_khz=575000 msmsdcc_fmax=32000000 htc_hw.call_vol=2"
boot
maybe you can attach a dmseg log , and i'll compare, maybe i see where the problem could be...
the funny thing is, that it is working for me ..

mweirauch

Jun 23, 2009
www.m-phasis.de
2g/3g detection ...
not sure .. you mean this a problem which also exist on older kernels ?

Hiho. The topaz gang ;) also has issues that the connection to the RIL is lost and sometimes airplane on/off works, sometimes not and only a reset/reboot helps. It's observed when running pm.idle_sleep_mode<3. ;) So a power drainer. It mostly happens when the device has been asleep for a long time. For me when sleeping over night, it has lost "connection", it means android still thinks that things are allright, but neither phone nor data work.

Investigation pending ;)

Michael (emwe)

Btw: Get the patches out please or send them over. :D Eagerly waiting as I don't like running prebuilt kernels when one has local changes to test as well.

joveen

Mar 9, 2010
Quick update:

Wifi started working for me. I forgot to unzip the image provided before copying :(
Will recheck 2G/3G detection again
Battery working normal.

Delay in showing correct power source.
USB mass storage not working, Windows detecting it as new hardware. I tried to turn on USB mass storage in android - nothing happened.

Device: Blackstone
Battery Type: Original
Battery Volume: 1350 mAh

tigernight

Jul 1, 2006
Alexandria Virginia
this is my startup ...
Code:
set ramsize 0x10000000
set ramaddr 0x10000000
set mtype 2030
set KERNEL zImage
set initrd initrd.gz
set cmdline "gsensor_axis=-2,-1,3 lcd.density=240 msm_blackstone_pad.vibrate=1 msmvkeyb_toggle=off acpuclock.oc_freq_khz=575000 msmsdcc_fmax=32000000 htc_hw.call_vol=2"
boot
maybe you can attach a dmseg log , and i'll compare, maybe i see where the problem could be...
the funny thing is, that it is working for me ..

...I tried yours but it failed to boot
any how I attached the dmseg.log file .

thanks

Attachments

• dmesg.log.zip
    26.7 KB · Views: 11

willcor

Oct 2, 2008
hi camro ,
i refer to your question ( post 31 )
yes, according to my personal experience with version 2.2 , ( been using 2.1 prior and did not notice anything as obivious ,to me , as this ? )
... it appeared to me that the redetection ...in 2.1 was better ?

so far ........
i have found that " randomly/sometimes " something ? ........" blocks/freeze"
( eg..wifi use ? but i must add , overall to me wifi works 100% )
the phone from redetecting signal ...gsm or /3g (as stated before , to me , it is not network problem !)
" Windows 6.1 " experience, tells me if i loose a signal ,phone will " redetect signal ..you can see " signal icons " in top taskbar of the phone trying to redetect and then settling down with signal ...? )

thus, to my above observation , it causes a chain reaction....!!!!!!

if phone is in this state...then....( to me )

.eg.1
if i make phone call it just " hangs " in the air ..no connection and if you try to disconnect ,phone is not responding to the end call button , at all....to abort call ?

you put phone to sleep ,you are sure that it is going to be "deep sleep "( i have , " 100% experience" it ,this so far !! )

3. if you then alternatively /to putting phone to sleep .....
and rather, decide to use " airplane / shutdown ...option " ( long end key press ) you are sure that , phone will ask if you want to shut down and starts.....
the process
eg...warning notice ...
of vibrating etc..
and freezes, on screen (thus you have to manual reset)
( i have also experience this 100% in this case !)

bottom line .....
overall ,my phone is working very, very smooth and reasonable stable ,with your updated kernels ( 1% battery fix, etc )

signal overall is very stable ,until i trigger " something" that causes the chain reaction ?????
thank you ..!!!
(and also , so far the " sleep " is no big headache or problem for me .!!!!)

the sound issue..?
seems to be fix ,for me, with your..start up .........
text "cmd line edit" that i did from your 1% battery thread ..!!
good luck
willcor

nb.
just though above observation might be usefull / or give you , ideas ?
re: sleep issue .

Last edited:

kulwant

Jul 7, 2009
Usb too isnt getting detected in my case and 2g thing is totally true

Last edited:

kulwant

Jul 7, 2009
ähm - which charging light do you mean ?
do you mean the led on power button ? this is always "green" on my device ...
(OliWe tried to fix to switch the led off/ red/green ...but now display broken, maybe too much testing on that ..)

Yes that's what i exactly mean the LED Light..Works fine if i change to win mo..Apart from that the
1. Battery is now acting alot better than before
2. The signal reception has gone down to just 1..I tried to test if i was getting bad reception by switich onto the windows but i get full signal there.
3. The call quality seems to be fine even though the signal shows just one litle bar.
4. Switching to 2G causes no signal reception.
5. Applications now run much smoother than before and so does the android.
6. USB not working for me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hi,
    here a kernel, which we want to commit to kernel "msm-linux"
    (the kernel should be for: raphael, diamond, blackstone, topaz, rhodium, kovsky) booting via haret

all credits to crazyvirus, alex, acl, jonpry, phh, oliwe, etc ...

BE CAREFUL ! best would be -> make backup before, beucase there a lotof changes and i tested only the blackstone !

changes overview:
    1.) new battery algo for better display the VOLUME (for now blackstone is ajusted, the other devices battery devices could be, that we must do finetuning
    2.) new USB driver (working also if not connected on boot)
    3.) AC / USB charger detection
    4.) reboot/shutdown should now work for devices (maybe it reboots - not only shutdown, must do testing on it for diff devices)

TESTING:
    please test this kernel:
    1.) battery - specially we need testing on battery -> please add the logging data from kernel... -> via kernel logging -> cat /proc/kmsg | grep battlog)
    2.) USB
    .) connecting USB after rebooting, then try to connect via win adb or linux
    .) test mass data storage
    .) DON'T click/test wlan hotspot !!! it could be, that you have problems after using it !
    3.) AC / USB charger -> change the adapter and look on battery information if it will be changed correct.
    4.) reboot/shutdown should now work for devices (maybe it reboots - not only shutdown, must do testing on it for diff devices)

please help on testing, because we want soon to commit this changes.

cu camel

PLS: as you know, this kernel is for multiple sys please add always:
    Device: ??
    Battery Type: Original or ????
    Battery Volume: ???? mAh

############################
    attached a new kernel V8

.) try now to fix the boot for kovsky (device think the batt is 70° hot ...)
    .) cleanups for battery driver things
    .) logging is now different
    .) there is a new log option (only in startup.txt boot option like:)
    + htc_battery_smem.debug=7 ( 0 | 1 | 2 | 4 ) via bit (so 7=all)
    + htc_battery_smem.fake=1 ( 0 | 1 ) via bit (0 = OFF / 1=ON) (would fake to system, that it is always on USB charger)
    + htc_battery_smem.vol_min=5 ( integer value which will be the minimum value) if it is < then it will correct the volume to this value, so the battery can also run out (if wanted)

here an example of my startup boot option line:
    set cmdline "gsensor_axis=-2,-1,3 lcd.density=240 msm_blackstone_pad.vibrate=1 msmvkeyb_toggle=off acpuclock.oc_freq_khz=575000 msmsdcc_fmax=32000000 htc_battery_smem.debug=7 rel_path=AndroidBoot"

EDIT9: kernel v9
    .) fixing high temperature on kovsky & rhod (which does on startup autoamtically a shutdown, because android system is thinking the batt is too hot.
    :> i made a mistake, which should be now correct. if it would be too hot (> 50°), then i set the temp to 499 = 49,9° -> so watch out if there is a value of 499 on temp

EDIT10: kernel_v10
    .) now battery data for blackstone should be fine. (current + volatage, + % + 93% to 100%
    .) kovsky adjustment for voltage, temp + current should be now better ...

EDIT11: kernel_v11
    .) now battery data for raph should be fine. (current + volatage, + % + 93% to 100%)

EDIT12: kernel_v12
    some device had problems with wrong values from battery driver, and then device shutdown by itself ..
    -> should be fixed now

EDIT13: kernel_13
    sorry, the kernel v12 was very bad, a lot of mistakes ..sorry
    .) fixed a lot of things in alog, specially if charging, had wrong values, also fix temperature values, etc...
    .) adjusted raph100 (hwboard_id=1)
    fixed some errors on wrong values which shutdown the whole system

EDIT14: kernel v14
    .) fixed some problems with charger devices
    .) added corr for AC adapter if current is higher
    .) adjust a lot of things on algo

EDIT15: kernel v15
    .) made a stupid bug in autocorrection function (temp was never corrected), so the device shutdown the device if wrong values ..is fixed now :)

EDIT16: kernel v16
    .) add addionally debug prints for kovsky (because no battery init)
    .) diamond100-900 adjustments - for diamond100-900 we need a FINAL LONG TEST - see posting #2

EDIT17: kernel v17
    .) added support for topa??-1100 vendor=2
    .) removed extra debugging prints for kovsky

EDIT18: kernel v18
    .) added support for kovsky, new rhod type
    .) extreme values checking
    .) adjustments for rhod + kovsky current, temp, etc..
    .) extra recheck for INCALL
    .) rhod: set POWER to HOME KEY (only for rhod)
    EDIT19: kernel v19
    .) try to write the temperature only once, if value is ok, so the auto shutdown shouldn't happen any more.)
    .) adjustment for kovsky device
    .) some other small fixes

EDIT 20: kernel v20 (battery driver on chip 2746 - experimental)
    .) there is a new log option (only in startup.txt) boot option like
    + htc_battery_smem.fake=0 ( 0 | 1 )
    + htc_battery_smem.vol_min=0 ( integer value which will be the minimum value) if it is < then it will correct the volume to this value, so the battery can also run out (if wanted)
    + htc_battery_smem.vol_max=100 ( integer value which will be the maximum value) if it is > then it will correct the volume to this value, so the battery won'T be charged by kernel, and the battery can switch off the charging by itself
    .) adjustment on current + voltage for kovsky
    .) alex patches: clock wince + kovsky battery support via ds2746 (no idea how it works - short test before a long time test makes sense and would be welcome
    EDIT21: kernel v21
    .) support for rhod300
    .) changed back to calc the kovsky from kernel on normal way
    .) removed the wince clock path from Alex (because users reported problems with flickering)
    x.....OK
    o.....IMPLEMENTED - FINAL TEST IS MISSING
    t.....TESTING
    n.....not supported
    b.....buggy, not working
    ?.....no info about ..

Code:
    BATTERY TYPES__:raph100-1340|raph100-1340|raph300-????|raph500-????|raph800-????|diam100-????|diam500-????|blstone-1350|topa100-1100|topa100-1100|rhod100-????|rhod210-????|rhod300-1500|rhod400-????|rhod500-????|kovsky1-????|
    ExTRAINFO______:hwboardid=0_|hwboardid=1_|            |            |            |            |            |            |vendor1     |vendor2     |            |            |vref=1254   |            |            |            |
    ---------------:------------|------------|------------|------------|------------|------------|------------|------------|------------|------------|------------|------------|------------|------------|------------|------------|
    boot procedure_:______?_____|______x_____|______?_____|______?_____|______?_____|______x_____|______?_____|______x_____|______?_____|______x_____|______?_____|______?_____|______x_____|______?_____|______?_____|______x_____|
    InCall Mic_____:______?_____|______x_____|______?_____|______?_____|______?_____|______x_____|______?_____|______x_____|______?_____|______?_____|______?_____|______?_____|______x_____|______?_____|______?_____|______?_____|
    InCall Earpice_:______?_____|______x_____|______?_____|______?_____|______?_____|______x_____|______?_____|______x_____|______?_____|______?_____|______?_____|______?_____|______x_____|______?_____|______?_____|______?_____|
    USB Gadget_____:______?_____|______x_____|______?_____|______?_____|______?_____|______x_____|______?_____|______x_____|______?_____|______?_____|______?_____|______?_____|______x_____|______?_____|______?_____|______?_____|
    USB Mass Storag:______n_____|______n_____|______n_____|______n_____|______n_____|______n_____|______n_____|______n_____|______n_____|______n_____|______n_____|______n_____|______n_____|______n_____|______n_____|______n_____|
    temperature____:______?_____|______o_____|______?_____|______?_____|______?_____|______t_____|______?_____|______o_____|______b_____|______b_____|______?_____|______?_____|______o_____|______?_____|______?_____|______t_____|
    voltage________:______?_____|______o_____|______?_____|______?_____|______?_____|______t_____|______?_____|______o_____|______t_____|______t_____|______?_____|______?_____|______o_____|______?_____|______?_____|______t_____|
    current on AC__:______?_____|______o_____|______?_____|______?_____|______?_____|______t_____|______?_____|______o_____|______t_____|______t_____|______?_____|______?_____|______o_____|______?_____|______?_____|______t_____|
    current on USB_:______?_____|______o_____|______?_____|______?_____|______?_____|______t_____|______?_____|______o_____|______t_____|______t_____|______?_____|______?_____|______o_____|______?_____|______?_____|______t_____|
    current on batt:______?_____|______o_____|______?_____|______?_____|______?_____|______t_____|______?_____|______o_____|______t_____|______t_____|______?_____|______?_____|______o_____|______?_____|______?_____|______t_____|

(updated -> 20.10.2010 10:59 GMT+2)

we need for every battery type and device a detail log, so that i can adjust the battery parameter

if you also want that your phone shows the real % volume, then you must log as described..if not -> your own fault :)

how to log:
    at first you must activate logging:

short test:
    ========
    1.) boot

2.) activate logging via:
    dmesg >> /sdcard/kovskylog.txt
    cat /proc/kmsg >> /sdcard/kovskylog.txt

preconditions: best would be if the phone is 10% -90% (not on 100% !!)

then do:
    ~2min charging via AC
    ~2min on battery
    ~2min charging via USB

################################################## ##

then send me this log file, then i can adjust the basisc...

after that we can do the long time test:

long time test: (needs ~10hrs)
    (preconditions: best would be if the phone is 0% - 50%)
    ========
    1.) boot
    (for this test -> before booting to android -> you should add to startup.txt)
    htc_battery_smem.debug=7
    htc_battery_smem.vol_min=15
    htc_battery_smem.vol_max=90

2.) activate logging via:
    dmesg >> /sdcard/kovskylog.txt
    cat /proc/kmsg >> /sdcard/devicename_log.txt

then do:
    ~30min charging via USB
    ~3min on battery
    ~3-4hrs charging via AC

after that prepare your device:
    -> flight mode ON
    -> SYNC data - OFF
    -> 3G -> OFF
    -> screen always ON
    -> screen ~50% brightning

plug out the cable and let device run out of battery
    (needs ~6hrs)

then send me the log

.) there is a new log option (only in startup.txt) boot option like
    + htc_battery_smem.fake=0 ( 0 | 1 )
    + htc_battery_smem.vol_min=0 ( integer value which will be the minimum value) if it is < then it will correct the volume to this value, so the battery can also run out (if wanted)

here an example of my startup boot option line:
    set cmdline "gsensor_axis=-2,-1,3 lcd.density=240 msm_blackstone_pad.vibrate=1 msmvkeyb_toggle=off acpuclock.oc_freq_khz=575000 msmsdcc_fmax=32000000 htc_battery_smem.debug=7 rel_path=AndroidBoot"

1.) full charging of your phone, -> please to be sure, that it is really full -> charge it ~3hrs via AC adapter.
    2.) kill all applications
    3.) open terminal emulator:
    -> then input: su
    -> then input: cat /proc/kmsg | grep BATTLOG >> /sdcard/batterylog.txt
    or if you want full logging -> then input: cat /proc/kmsg | grep BATT >> /sdcard/batterylog.txt
    (for me it is very simple to grep my data for algo fine tuning
    4.) switch to AIRPLANE mode
    5.) set your device to: SCREEN ALWAYS ON (there are several tools on the market wher you can do that, 30 is not enough
    6.) SET DISPLAY BRIGHTNESS to 50%
    then plugout the AC Adapter - and let the phone run out o battery (mostly 5-8hrs)

after that please post the log data. which can be found in sdcard -> (called) -> batterylog.txt

PLS: special apps on market
    for "STAY ALWAYS ON" -> you can use: "caffein" (from Syntaxa)
    for disable "UNLOCK SLIDE SCREEN" -> you can use: or "screemodewidget"
    or also "extended control" but cost some bucks ..