Update kills battery life and adds lots of heat

Search This thread

red321red321

Oct 28, 2013
Kitkat update killed battery life and makes the tablet extremely hot near the camera on the back. What gives?

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium HD app

clouds5

Feb 8, 2011
I don't have a solution but the same problem. I'm fine with it getting warm but it's getting really hot! It's great that we have kitkat but it's not all that stable yet.
Restarting seems to help temporarily. Feels like something gets stuck and then makes the CPU run extra stuff but I don't see anything with my wakelock analyzing apps...
When it is in "battery-eating-mode" even browsing or watching a video makes it run hot!

Last edited:

Freakstyler

Apr 21, 2014
Generally it indicates that a file or service has become stuck, or hung. For me it's common for the Samsung.index.service to get stuck indexing a file and sometimes lasts 3 days before it's resolved.

You should use some kind of monitor to see whats causing it.

Gsam battery monitor does a good job of showing rogue apps, and battery and heat.

Also a CPU monitor is included in the debug/developer which can also show the culprit.

Sent from my P-600

red321red321

Oct 28, 2013
I quite upset about this now. I reset my device and still have the same problem. My tablet used to be excellent and had great battery life. Now Kitkat Haase it basically useless because the battery drains so fast.

red321red321

Oct 28, 2013
Indexservice uses 30 percent of my battery. I read that happens if you have lots of pdfs on an external SD card, but for me that is the whole point of this device. If I just wanted to play games, watch videos and surf the Web I would've gotten an ipad. Really dissapointed with Samsung here. Did they not test the device before they released the update? Or do they clock out of their jobs and go home and use ipads?

imatekjam2005

Aug 9, 2007
Yeah the indexservice did the exact same to mine, Samsung were no help. Happened even when I put PDF's on internal storage.
I had no other choice but to root it and freeze the service with titanium backup, I really didn't want to, but I was left with no other choice.
As I had gone that far I also froze a bunch of other Samsung apps/services - I am so glad I did, the tab absolutely flys along now - feels like a different machine.

Root it, you won't be disappointed :)

clouds5

Feb 8, 2011
Sony released a statement suggesting disabling the Google backup functions to improve battery life with kitkat Roms. If you don't need those maybe you wanna try that as well.
Settings/general/accounts and save&backup

Freakstyler

Apr 21, 2014
It will likely fix itself after a few days. It happens on mine every few months for a day or two. Then it settles down and works normally. Same on all Samsung devices.

Has nothing to do with KitKat.

Sent from my SM-P600

clouds5

Feb 8, 2011
I did some testing with an app to check cpu frequency and here's what I found:

Sometimes the tablet goes into "fury mode". Which means that as soon as there is any task for the cpu however small it may be it drives all cores to max 1.9ghz and full speed. Which means even while I'm browsing or watching a video the tablet runs about as hot as when playing an intense 3D game. And with equally bad battery life.
Really bad performance/efficiency handling. Like now I've been browsing(chrome) for 30 min and it ate 15% battery life and it's extremely hot on the back where the cpu is. There aren't any special processes running I've checked with watchtower. Cpu load is not that high but frequency has been constant 1.9ghz max speed on all cores... need custom Kernel PLZ.

I have to say though this is not always the case. Sometimes after a restart or when it was laying around for a while this fury mode doesn't happen.

Last edited:

red321red321

Oct 28, 2013
Ok looks like everything is good now.

Rooted and used titanium backup to freeze all the stupid stuff that was causing the device to get super hot