[Q] SD CARD fix (KitKat or higher)

Search This thread
May 13, 2012
I have a question, and if possible the answer should be as wide as possible to work on as many systems as possible. While I am not fully conversed in Android functions, syntax, and interfaces, I have been programing various computers since the mid 80's and have applied rooting/jailbreaking methods to several systems (if it functions like a computer, I want my Admin rights, much thanks to each and all authors of these). I know that someone somewhere out there may have asked and already found a solution to this very annoying problem.

Thanks to the Google's decision to increase security in the Android OSes (KitKat and higher) by removing write access to the SD Card (as I call it a very 'bonehead' and brute force decision), most of the older apps do not work properly anymore with the user added SD Cards and most are not being updated with some form of support (create a folder on SD Card). The solution for most persons is to root the system then either run an app that corrects the problem or install a new LRAM image (Lockable RAM: 'unlock' the RAM and overwrite its data with a new image then re-lock it. I don't like the term 'ROM' for this as it has been incorrectly used since the late 80's). I have found at least 2 file managers that say they have a (in-app) solution, but these solutions don't extend to all of your other apps (ie "Root Explorer" or "B1" solution doesn't help your File server/uTorrent/Photo Gallery app).

But what of the owners that for one reason or another can't root their system (unable to root, not authorized or allowed to root, etc.) but want/need to have write access to the user added cards (mainly because their internal storage is just too small)? Example, in my case my personal phone has several apps that require it to remain in an unrooted state for certain work related programs (security issues).

So here is my question:
Is it possible, on an unrooted and stock LRAM android device, using ADB to PULL the "platform.xml" file, add the line '<group gid=”media_rw” />' to it, then PUSH the edited file back to the android device?
I realize this may require entering (various name versions) Recovery or Update mode which is specific to each device (I think Samsung calls their ODIN). But I think the ADB commands and computer side instructions should be the same. So if it is possible, please list all ADB instructions (I know the text editor used will depend on the PC/MAC OS used).

Thank you one and all that give any advice or assistance.

May 13, 2012
Well it looks like there have been a lot of lookers since I first posted this but still no reply by anyone that knows Android OS inside and out. Most of you are probably thinking "tl:dr" to all of it.

I know there has to be a way to update/upgrade system files that doesn't require rooting or a way to find the manufacturer's or cellular vender's access path or password.

Last edited: