<< [Q/A] WiFi Issues? Best Router Settings for S3? >>

Search This thread

AtoZ0to9

Jul 27, 2007
OnePlus 5T
OnePlus 9
WiFi Issues? Best Router Settings?

A lot of users have reported issues with their WiFi connection. Whether it's dropping the connection, slow speeds, or just won't connect, I will personally help any user who has issues with their WiFi by diagnosing your router settings, and setup. Even I have struggled to find the best settings...

Now I'm sure you're asking yourself... Is he qualified?

Here is a screenshot of my Laptop's Wireless Connection:

2425024615.png

and here is my S3:

Screenshot_2012-12-29-17-30-09_zps2c8c878b.png

The S3 is capable of both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz WiFi and supports B, G, and N. It seems to be temperamental with the 5Ghz especially if you have high-end router that allows for frequency change, and also if you have a large house. Chances are high the 5Ghz won't broadcast all over the house.

Here's the difference between the two:

2.4Ghz broadcasts farther but has lower bandwidth
5Ghz doesn't broadcast as far, but has higher bandwidth

If your router supports it, the optimal settings are:

WPA2-AES secured with a Passphrase

Because we all have different routers, I will have to personally diagnose your settings.

Post away...

Last edited:

CyaN1de

Dec 19, 2008
BC
Definitely NOT using a high end router but finding that I have to unplug it every other day or so to allow devices to reconnect to the router.

We have 4 cell phones in the house (3 x Samsung - 1 x iCrap), 3 Tablets, 1 Netbook and 2 Laptops.

Belkin Wireless N
Surf N300
F7D6301 v1

Using Shaw Cable 50Mb service.

Any recommendations?

TIA

AtoZ0to9

Jul 27, 2007
OnePlus 5T
OnePlus 9
Definitely NOT using a high end router but finding that I have to unplug it every other day or so to allow devices to reconnect to the router.

We have 4 cell phones in the house (3 x Samsung - 1 x iCrap), 3 Tablets, 1 Netbook and 2 Laptops.

Belkin Wireless N
Surf N300
F7D6301 v1

Using Shaw Cable 50Mb service.

Any recommendations?

TIA

Sorry it took so long for this response, I was banned for a while... Your router is near it's end of life because you have to constantly powercycle... There's ways to try and fix it... Restore the factory defaults, and load the latest firmware to it, even if it was running that already...

Last edited:

ra4013

Oct 13, 2010
Re: &lt;&lt; [Q/A] WiFi Issues? Best Router Settings for S3? &gt;&gt;

My phone only connects at 72 mbps. It's that the norm on a wireless N network?

sent from my S3 Sammy Bean.

AtoZ0to9

Jul 27, 2007
OnePlus 5T
OnePlus 9
I think my router only has 2.4ghz.

Here's a good chart:

router-1_zpsc67508f8.jpg

"N" Number being the theoretical maximum, and Best case client "speed" being a real world scenario.

You have an older router, so it's only capable of 2.4Ghz with a 20Mhz Channel Width

Each increment in then "N Number" represents an extra antenna. e.g. 1 antenna will have a theoretical maximum of 150Mbps, 2 Antennas having 300Mbps, and 3 having 450Mbps

The higher bandwidth numbers (600, 750, 900) are for Dual-Band Wireless N routers, meaning the 2.4 can put out XXX bandwidth and the 5Ghz can put out XXX bandwidth. So the manufacturers add those two numbers together for marketing purposes.

The S3 only has one WiFi Antenna. It's theoretical maximum is 150Mbps, but you cant rely on what it's technically capable of. Use the "Best case client "speed" as a true judge of your link state, and according to that chart, you are right on par in a real world situation.

Last edited:

ra4013

Oct 13, 2010

Here's a good chart:

router-1_zpsc67508f8.jpg

"N" Number being the theoretical maximum, and Best case client "speed" being a real world scenario.

You have an older router, so it's only capable of 2.4Ghz with a 20Mhz Channel Width

Each increment in then "N Number" represents an extra antenna. e.g. 1 antenna will have a theoretical maximum of 150Mbps, 2 Antennas having a 300Mbps, and 4 having 450Mbps

The higher bandwidth numbers (600, 750, 900) are for Dual-Band Wireless N routers, meaning the 2.4 can put out XXX bandwidth and the 5Ghz can put out XXX bandwidth. So the manufacturers add those two numbers together for marketing purposes.

The S3 only has one WiFi Antenna. It's theoretical maximum is 150Mbps, but you cant rely on what it's technically capable of. Use the "Best case client "speed" as a true judge of your link state, and according to that chart, you are right on par in a real world situation.

So I guess it's a trip to BB for a newer router. My best connection on my desktop is 150. And my router is older than Netflix.
Thanks for the info.

AtoZ0to9

Jul 27, 2007
OnePlus 5T
OnePlus 9
So I guess it's a trip to BB for a newer router. My best connection on my desktop is 150. And my router is older than Netflix.
Thanks for the info.

LOL.... Maybe it is time for a new router... I'll be more than happy to recommend one that won't break the bank....

Please list ALL of your wireless devices, and their capabilities. B,G,N, 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz

chvybeatsford

Jul 10, 2008
Gonzales,La

A lot of users have reported issues with their WiFi connection. Whether it's dropping the connection, slow speeds, or just won't connect, I will personally help any user who has issues with their WiFi by diagnosing your router settings, and setup. Even I have struggled to find the best settings...

2425024615.png

and here is my S3:

The S3 is capable of both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz WiFi and supports B, G, and N. It seems to be temperamental with the 5Ghz especially if you have high-end router that allows for frequency change, and also if you have a large house. Chances are high the 5Ghz won't broadcast all over the house.

Because we all have different routers, I will have to personally diagnose your settings.

Post away...

Maybe u can help me..
Router- linksys e4200
Network mode mixed
Wpa2 personal

What my deal is my speeds on some devises very to much. Some days fast some days slow.

My phone seems to display the speeds backwards. Duno why..

My lap top seems correct in speeds. Usually 40d and 20 or more up with wireless.

The second picture is plug in wired

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

chvybeatsford

Jul 10, 2008
Gonzales,La

Pics didn't load on first post..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1359915138008.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359915138008.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 80
  • uploadfromtaptalk1359915158638.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359915158638.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 68

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

2425024615.png

and here is my S3:

Post away...
    I think my router only has 2.4ghz.

Here's a good chart:

router-1_zpsc67508f8.jpg

Each increment in then "N Number" represents an extra antenna. e.g. 1 antenna will have a theoretical maximum of 150Mbps, 2 Antennas having 300Mbps, and 3 having 450Mbps

2425024615.png

I don't like your speeds. We have the same ping. lol ;) :D :highfive: :victory:

I don't like your speeds. We have the same ping. lol ;) :D :highfive: :victory:

Mine's wireless too... :D