[UTIL] One Click Lag Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Denizzje

Jul 29, 2010
Hey. Have some problem installing this. have downloaded busybox from thread an activated usb debugging. Start lagfixme on my computer, but gets "error device not found" any help:)

Unplug your phone's USB cable, go to 'device management' (I don't know the exact English title) on your computer, and delete the USB drivers already there. Then plug your phone back in and let the drivers reinstall. That fixed it for me :).

lafaya

Jul 26, 2010
I did the n00b fix on the Girlfriend's Galaxy S for her and it worked perfectly. Thanks a lot man (that I didn't get shot!)

bogeyface

Jul 23, 2010
Thanks to all the clever folk hereabouts. I'm about as noob as it gets when it comes to rooting, but following the steps on #417 and using the new beta of update.zip I'm getting a quadrant score of 2125

The phone is more responsive, slicker and show-offable than ever.

RyanZA

Jan 21, 2006
JHB
Really want to try this fix, but I'm so concerned about the future damage to my phone because of it.

Can I get any reassurances?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

Since this fix does less writes to the hardware than stock, it should in theory increase the lifetime of your device! :D

The only theoretical threat is to your data. No known issues in practice yet though.

magle

Jul 30, 2010
Tried this on JF3, but i came across some issues.

I used this guide from post #417

Used the update.zip that's under "requirements" and followed everything and then came to installing the script. Did that and when it was done I was about to download quadrant but I couldn't open any aps, everyone was saying "force shutdown" (maybe not a direct translation because I don't use english in the phone). So i tried to restart it but nothing happened after the first white 2D samsung picture, so i did a factory restore from the menu from volume up+home etc. and now I'm back.

Anyone who knows what could've gone wrong? I have not flashed, rooted or installed any fixes before.

RyanZA

Jan 21, 2006
JHB
Tried this on JF3, but i came across some issues.

I used this guide from post #417

Used the update.zip that's under "requirements" and followed everything and then came to installing the script. Did that and when it was done I was about to download quadrant but I couldn't open any aps, everyone was saying "force shutdown" (maybe not a direct translation because I don't use english in the phone). So i tried to restart it but nothing happened after the first white 2D samsung picture, so i did a factory restore from the menu from volume up+home etc. and now I'm back.

Anyone who knows what could've gone wrong? I have not flashed, rooted or installed any fixes before.

Sorry, no idea. For an almost guaranteed fix, do this though (from a fully stock rom):

1. Install samsung kies / make sure you have drivers for SGS
2. Put the device into USB debug mode from Settings->Applications->Development
3. Plug your device in - do not select the option to mount the drives in the notification area on your phone.
4. Use this one click root - http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile...t-samsung-galaxy-s-i9000-with-a-single-click/
5. Mount the drives so you can copy the apk in the next step to your phone.
6. Download busybox from this link, copy the apk to your device, install it with My Files, Run the busybox installer app on your phone, select install and wait for it to say that you have the correct version - http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7574130&postcount=229 - You must have version 1.17.1 of busybox!
7. Unplug your phone, and then plug it back in. Do not mount the drives.
8. Run my one click lag fix

Reports show that following this exactly practically guarantees that the fix will work.

OlegZh

Jul 22, 2010
Thank you, RyanZA, for your work. Did everything exactly how you described and it worked like it should. Score is 2154 or something. Even XDA App works much faster now. Running stock Eclair jm2.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

Aafjes

Mar 19, 2008
Incredible work!
Before the fix I had a score below 750. After the fix I had a score of 1975 :O.
More than doubled!!

sandyph

Sep 14, 2008
hi Ryan

I follow all your step, the problem is when I run lagfixme from my PC, it finish really fast and dont seems to be creating any 1GB file (the available internal memory is still 1.85GB)

do you know what might go wrong ?

thanks

Tayutama

May 21, 2010
Helsinge

Sledutah

Apr 13, 2007
Utah
'permission denied means your phone is not in debug mode'

I am definately in debug mode. have read through the entire first post and just about every other post and haven't seen the same prob as me yet. Other ideas?

I was having the same problem.

After you connect and windows recognize the phone. Pull down the menu and click 'Turn off USB Storage'.
After that it worked great and now I'm getting results of ~2200 :D

RyanZA

Jan 21, 2006
JHB
You might wanna read this from the Vibrant forum: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7589078&postcount=136

Looks like there is abit of corruption on the ext2 file we made.

Yeah I'm working on making a nice easy fix with that included, and I'd like to use busybox for the e2fsck. I contacted Stephen from busybox, and he said he can have it by tonight. After that, I'll put up the busybox here (or try to include it directly in the fix) and then I can add e2fsck on boot. I'm trying to avoid putting binaries in this fix, and relying on others, so that everybody can see exactly what this fix is doing. :D

As far as actual corruption goes... it has yet to actually affect anyone as far as I know. No reports of lost data... I can keep saying this, Im gonna stop. :D

e2fsck is coming! Feel free to make a fix with e2fsck that won't blow people's phones up and I'll put it in the first post. :D

kalpik

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 19, 2010
Amsterdam
www.kalpik.com
Yeah I'm working on making a nice easy fix with that included, and I'd like to use busybox for the e2fsck. I contacted Stephen from busybox, and he said he can have it by tonight. After that, I'll put up the busybox here (or try to include it directly in the fix) and then I can add e2fsck on boot. I'm trying to avoid putting binaries in this fix, and relying on others, so that everybody can see exactly what this fix is doing. :D

As far as actual corruption goes... it has yet to actually affect anyone as far as I know. No reports of lost data... I can keep saying this, Im gonna stop. :D

e2fsck is coming! Feel free to make a fix with e2fsck that won't blow people's phones up and I'll put it in the first post. :D
AWESOME! Waiting for it! I did the steps manually, but I guess ill use your script once the fsck is ready :D

RyanZA

Jan 21, 2006
JHB
AWESOME! Waiting for it! I did the steps manually, but I guess ill use your script once the fsck is ready :D

The fsck is just one extra line in the boot animation replacement script, really simple to add yourself. The hard part of the actual fsck binary itself. ;) Currently you need to compile it into a custom firmware. Obviously useless for most people, I feel. However, once it is added to busybox, it will be very simple. :D

Note: Any linux/arm gurus around? I tried compiling a static arm version of e2fsck, and then copying it into a stock firmware. In a custom compiled firmware it seems to work fine. When I run it on a stock firmware, I get

[1] Illegal instruction e2fsck.static

Any ideas?! :D

Tayutama

May 21, 2010
Helsinge

How about getting Stephen to add mkfs.ext3 and mkfs.ext4 to busybox?

Was more if people wanted to use those instead of ext2

tomtor

Jul 6, 2010
sync

The fsck is just one extra line in the boot animation replacement script, really simple to add yourself. The hard part of the actual fsck binary itself. ;) Currently you need to compile it into a custom firmware. Obviously useless for most people, I feel. However, once it is added to busybox, it will be very simple. :D

I'd suggest adding a sync option to the ext2 mount options for the loopback device. This will not impact read performance and eliminates one potential cause for fs inconsistency (dirty ext2 buffers). Without it writes will be delayed both in the ext2 cache and in the underlying (journaling) cache of the native filesystem. Would be interesting to compare the speed scores with and without this sync option.

I assume the main speedup is just caused by the introduction of a read buffer cache, it's strange that the standard filesystem has no such implementation, would be easy to add for Samsung.

A potential cause for fs inconsistencies could be people rebooting their phone by keeping the power button pressed till it reboots. I don't believe the device executes a proper unmount/sync sequence when rebooting that way. One should use the power button popup menu and choose "power off"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This software is currently in BETA status! This means that a lot of people have tested, and reported good results. There are still issues, but if you take note of the known issues and make sure to avoid them, you very likely will have no problems in using this fix. The worst this software should be able to do is force you to reflash your phone, by removing the battery and turning on the device with HOME+VOLDOWN+POWER + Odin and then following one of the many guides to flash a new firmware to your phone.

More questions about how this fix works? Check out the FAQ - http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7620940&postcount=2

UPDATES:

There is currently a 2-3 version made by me that can be found here that has more features: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=751864
    Tayutama has made an update.zip version that is easy to install - http://xdaforums.com/show...&postcount=208
    Chainfire has a .NET version of this fix with some nice features - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=751513
    Ubuntu version is here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7671640&postcount=583

[size=+2]DEPRECATED:[/size]

[size=+1]This lagfix is now marked as DEPRECATED and the following tool should probably be used in all circumstances that this one would be used in: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=760571[/size]

Details about what this fix does:

Creates a VIRTUAL EXT2 filesystem inside the stock RFS filesystem on the internal SD card, with a 4KB block size. This means that this lag fix creates a buffer between the real filesystem and the android system. This buffer should reduce the amount of disk I/O required for all operations by utilizing EXT2 buffering, as well as not writing file access times to disk, etc. It allows only 1GB for application data at this stage, down from the 2GB of application data when running stock.

Folders that are currently supported:

/data/data
    /data/system
    /data/dalvik-cache

More folders can be added, and should help performance further.

Advantages for this fix over mimocan's fix

Does not require an external SD card.
    Allows the external SD card to be removed and reinserted into the device.
    Faster speed (Quadrant benchmarks of 2000+ vs 1700 for mimocan's fix)
    Possible battery savings, by not requiring the external SD card to be always active.

Requirements for this fix

(Beta Release) The ability to reflash your device if something goes wrong.
    Any firmware should work, including 2.2 froyo firmwares. (Tested!)

Rooted device - I used this: http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile...t-samsung-galaxy-s-i9000-with-a-single-click/

Busybox 1.17.1 from http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7574130&postcount=229 -
    You must have a busybox version installed that has mkfs.ext2. If unsure, install 1.17.1 from that thread!
    That thread has an APK that you must sideload onto your device. Once installed, you will have a new application on your phone called "BusyBox Installer".
    Run this application, and it will have a button to install busybox. Click the button, and it should install it for you!
    If you have made a mistake and run this without the right busybox, there may be a solution for you! Check out this post: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7580071&postcount=187

A windows box to run the batch script. (Batch script does very little, you should be able to easily modify this to run in any enviroment.)

If you are already running mimocan's lag fix, check out this post: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7578137&postcount=85

How to run the one click fix

Place your phone into USB debugging mode: Settings->Applications->Development
    Download the attached ZIP file.
    Unzip to a folder of your choice.
    Double click "lagfixme.bat"
    Wait for it to complete.

How to remove the one click fix

Double click "unlagfixme.bat"
    Wait for it to complete.

New Method for applying this lag fix

Tayutama has developed an update.zip version of this lag fix. I haven't tested it personally, but some people have had a lot of success with it. It should be more robust and less likely to cause you problems. I believe it avoids all rooting and busybox issues as well! Nice! Check out this helpful post by glockyboots for instructions. You must only use one lag fix, not both! http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7587405&postcount=417

Known Issues

1) If you do not have 1GB of free space on /data, this fix won't be able to run. Looking into workarounds.
    2) Script fails if your busybox does not have mkfs.ext2 - Solution is to update busybox - http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7574130&postcount=229
    3) Script will not work if you have previously used mimocan's fix on your current firmware. Try this to revert mimocan's fix: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7578137&postcount=85
    4) Make sure your device is plugged in, and that you have the correct drivers. Permission denied errors usually mean that your device is not in USB debug mode. Settings->Applications->Development

Credits

Big thanks to mimocan for putting us all on the right track in how to sort out lag problems!
    Big thanks to ykk_five for showing us all how well loopback filesystem mounting works!

Warning, this software is BETA QUALITY, and is known to function on a lot devices! You must have busybox 1.17.1 !
    This doesn't meant that this won't break your phone and force you to reflash. It does mean that if you do everything properly and you read everything a few times, you very likely will have no issues!
    Hello
    in the beginning i was verry happy with this fix
    but later my device (gt-9000) freeze a lot?
    I don't know how to fix this :(
    I only use oneclickroot and this lagfix

This is a very old lagfix, please don't use this on present ROMs, search for recent ones like voodoo, speedmod, trasig, super-optimized, & go through the posts & decide for yourselves.

@ RyanZA, either update the util or update the TITLE. Lot of people will loose confidence in you if you don't