S-off boot loader question

Search This thread

joho5

Oct 20, 2011
If you relocked and ran a ruu, and decided you want to unlock your boot loader again do you have to use your unlock token? Or with s-off can you just unlock in fast boot (fastboot oem unlock)?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
S-off bypasses bootloader lock. There is no reason you would need to unlock bootloader for anything.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

InflatedTitan

Jul 7, 2012
OnePlus 9 Pro
S-off bypasses bootloader lock. There is no reason you would need to unlock bootloader for anything.

Damn i wish i wouod have kniwn this last night lol... Wanted everything 100% fresh, so i relocked, ran the ruu, then got the unlock token from htcdev lol... I couod have shaved some time from the whoke process

Whats the best method redpoint? I tried to fastboot twrp while i was locked after ruu and i kept failing.... Would i be able to simply "fastboot oem unlock"?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

a box of kittens

Jan 24, 2013
san fran california
I'm sure fastboot oem unlock would work... You should be failing to install twrp there is no need of the bootloadrr unlocking...what's the process your taking to install twrp

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 PM ----------

Damn i wish i wouod have kniwn this last night lol... Wanted everything 100% fresh, so i relocked, ran the ruu, then got the unlock token from htcdev lol... I couod have shaved some time from the whoke process

Whats the best method redpoint? I tried to fastboot twrp while i was locked after ruu and i kept failing.... Would i be able to simply "fastboot oem unlock"?

I know you're quite intelligent and I'm not trying to step on your intelligence..but are you sure your putting in the right commands for twrp?

InflatedTitan

Jul 7, 2012
OnePlus 9 Pro
Re: [BOOT & DOWN ANIMATIONS(EVEN SOUND)][TeamDART] For ONE X (Taking requests)[118 to

Fastboot flash recovery openrecoveryblahblahblah

I know the commands... Once I unlocked through htcdev it was success the first time I fastbooted it... I'm just trying to learn about the advantages of s-off lol.

D

Deleted member 3452239

Weird.
I had RUU'd my phone (to remove tampered flag) and left it s-off
At this point it says ***RELOCKED*** AND s-off

Attempted to "fastboot flash recovery twrp.img"
Error: remote not allowed

Didn't work until I unlocked my bootloader again. :s

Reactions: InflatedTitan

joho5

Oct 20, 2011
Weird.

Did you lock your boot loader prior to ruuing?

And could you unlock by just fastboot OEM unlock?

Or did you have to do the whole token thing?

D

Deleted member 3452239

Did you lock your boot loader prior to ruuing?

And could you unlock by just fastboot OEM unlock?

Or did you have to do the whole token thing?

i think i left it unlocked.. and no, I had my unlock token on a USB from the first time.

joho5

Oct 20, 2011
My main thing is knowing if I have to lock the boot loader to running a ruu now. You used to have to. Wondering because if I end up selling the phone to a user who doesn't root, flash, etc...and I want to get it to stock...do I lock or not.

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
I couldn't.... I ran fastboot oem lock to relock it... Tried to fastboot twrp and had a FAIL

Weird. Either something else is going on here, or it violates the definition if S-off, which us supposed to mean all security is off.

Sent from my HTC_Flyer_P512_NA using xda app-developers app

InflatedTitan

Jul 7, 2012
OnePlus 9 Pro
Yep... But like I said earlier, as soon as I unlocked via htcdev process, I did the exact same command and it was a successful fastboot flash... But i haven't a clue, this is the first device I've ever had that was s-off ...

18th.abn

Oct 27, 2011
South Carolina
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Its just the bootloader doing what its supposed to do then. Evita will probably get a eng hboot at some point so it doesn't need to be unlocked and s off. In the mean time I would just keep it unlocked with s off I suppose. There's so many things I want to check with s off now but can't get my hands on one anymore

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: InflatedTitan

Kole_Ackerson

Feb 27, 2012
Minden, NV
so weird.. I just wanted to start fresh like inflated. so I got the 1.85 ruu after I was s-off. it finished without issues, rebooted to BL and its unlocked. so problems if you relock first? just throwing it out there

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    D
    Deleted member 3452239

Weird.

Its just the bootloader doing what its supposed to do then. Evita will probably get a eng hboot at some point so it doesn't need to be unlocked and s off. In the mean time I would just keep it unlocked with s off I suppose. There's so many things I want to check with s off now but can't get my hands on one anymore

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2