[All XDA Members] Feedback/Recommendations for XDA

Search This thread

boborone

Not me. Chrome always logged in.
Guy above said he uses some no java script. Maybe the reason?

Welcome to Anonymous Nooboholics. My name is tinky.

I haven't found any constant with this. I use adblock. Some use adblock plus. Some use noscript. Some have no extensions at all. It did it before the chrome update a couple days ago, and it continues after. I have set to remember my username/password. And the site's remember me box checked. I've cleared cache and cookies. Disabled extensions. Nothing I have found works. Some have posted that changing the forum theme fixes it, which leads me to think it's a site issue. Thing with me is, the fix is to change it to the beta theme. I've been on that theme for some time now. So I'm at a loss.

garyd9

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I actually did have a chrome issue a few days ago, but it seemed to have gone away. It acted as if a browser cookie would just get lost somehow. I'd click a thread to read new posts (would only take a minute or so) and then when I clicked "USER CP" at the top I'd be at the main forum screen logged out and even the theme reset to whatever is default. (I normally use the 2010 theme)

It was pretty frequently happening for a few days and just as suddenly the problem went away. I had just assumed that you guys were working on the website or backend db server.

MikeChannon

Forum Admin
Staff member
Jun 7, 1972
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
....................................trunc....................

What about the XDA-U project? It is not publicly availible at the moment,right? And how does it compare to this site? Will this site beeing closed when XDA-U is ready? And is XDA-U limited to Android? Because I think, that not the only interesting OS for mobile devices.

I prefered answering here, because the answer might be interesting for other users, too. If you think it should not be public, you can send me a PM.

P.S. This time a copied the text. ;)

XDA-U is additional to this site, so this site will continue as before. Drop pulser_g2 a PM about it because it is still being developed.

Re the timeouts / log outs. It does not seem to affect every User, but it has been a problem for some. We have people looking into why this is happening, but it's not just a simple setting change. Sorry for the inconvenience. I have been told that refreshing the page will display the page again without the log in box. Though if you have just typed a long post, you might want to copy it to memory in case it gets lost before being posted.

Mike

boborone

To add to the chrome issue:

One thing I have found, if on the beta theme, the log out issue seems to happen more if you click the forum button. Even when on the portal, I can see my PMs in the box, but click on forums and I have to log in. When in forum, if I click the forum button to refresh my subscribed threads, I need to log in, but if I click the subscribed tab, it refreshes no problem.

Seems to linked to the forum button itself. At least for me.

Did bitpusher change any code sometime around Wednesday?

Reactions: Jonny

garyd9

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
(any sarcasm in this post is probably intentional to make the point.)

Why do we have an "Off Topic" subforum, but also have "[OFFICIAL]Off Topic" threads in nearly every single device's "general" subforum?

Anything having to do with a given device in a general subforum would be on topic, so I'm guessing that all the posts in those "[OFFICIAL]Off Topic" threads are related to something completely different and would be better in the "Off Topic" subforum (which, I guess, isn't official even though it's the only thing officially existing.)

Those "[OFFICIAL]" strings in those off topic threads not in the official subforum are also probably misleading. They imply that the XDA Administration has sanctioned those threads to not only exist in the device subforums, but that they are the only place to discuss things off topic officially. That would mean any other off topic discussion is occurring unofficially - including the off topic banter in the official Off Topic subfoum.

I think I'm now [OFFICIALLY] confused unofficially.

The point here is: Unless it actually is "official", those [OFFICIAL] strings in thread subtitles is misleading. I'd suggest that those are cleaned up by [OFFICIAL] [Moderators] of [XDA] :angel:

Take care
Gary

Jonny

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 22, 2011
To add to the chrome issue:

One thing I have found, if on the beta theme, the log out issue seems to happen more if you click the forum button. Even when on the portal, I can see my PMs in the box, but click on forums and I have to log in. When in forum, if I click the forum button to refresh my subscribed threads, I need to log in, but if I click the subscribed tab, it refreshes no problem.

Seems to linked to the forum button itself. At least for me.

Did bitpusher change any code sometime around Wednesday?

This worked for me on all of the three different computers I use, thanks :)

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using xda premium

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
Regarding the "Thanksgate";

I have a solution. Let's bribe a weak moderator (a small Hyundai should do it) and move all the popular threads in Off-Topic to the "General" section. I know, it's genius and it can't go wrong. I guess i should post this in a place where no mod can read it, but apparently i'm not that smart, so sorry guys, i blew it!

Back to the drawing board...

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
This is all regarding the "10 posters" and the use of the off-topic forum.

From when garyd9 said that certain rules are fairly vague, another point which proves that fairly well is 10 posters in the off-topic sub-forum.

From what a lot of moderators and admins have said in the past, they'd rather a new user spams their first 10 posts in off-topic so that they're not filling up the device forums with crap. - Now, I can understand that fully because even if they haven't got access to a development thread yet, they can still fill up the device forum with crap by posting throughout the General and Q&A forums instead. Preferring them to spam away their first 10 posts in off-topic would, for the most part, stop that happening.

With that being said, why is there still a stickied thread in off-topic saying that users can post over there in an attempt to gain their first 10 posts?
How can moderators enforce that people use off-topic to make the spam posts, aswell as enforcing that users don't post in off-topic in a means to access development threads quicker?
That clearly shows that the same rule is being actioned differently dependant on the situation at hand.

I'm not saying that mods shouldn't suggest for users to use off-topic. I'm also not saying that the rule about 10 posters in off-topic shouldn't be there.
I'm simply saying that something should be changed because how can new users be expected to follow forum rules if the same isn't clear enough for them to be enforced properly by moderators and admins?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

reinbeau

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 14, 2010
South of Boston, MA
I gotta say, if you're trying to reduce the number of...unnecessary posts, I'm having a hard time connecting spamming off topic to get to ten posts with gaining good relevant content from people. I never encourage off topic, I always encourage getting someone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda premium

Last edited:

prototype7

Apr 16, 2012
New Hampshire
This is all regarding the "10 posters" and the use of the off-topic forum.

From when garyd9 said that certain rules are fairly vague, another point which proves that fairly well is 10 posters in the off-topic sub-forum.

From what a lot of moderators and admins have said in the past, they'd rather a new user spams their first 10 posts in off-topic so that they're not filling up the device forums with crap. - Now, I can understand that fully because even if they haven't got access to a development thread yet, they can still fill up the device forum with crap by posting throughout the General and Q&A forums instead. Preferring them to spam away their first 10 posts in off-topic would, for the most part, stop that happening.

With that being said, why is there still a stickied thread in off-topic saying that users can post over there in an attempt to gain their first 10 posts?
How can moderators enforce that people use off-topic to make the spam posts, aswell as enforcing that users don't post in off-topic in a means to access development threads quicker?
That clearly shows that the same rule is being actioned differently dependant on the situation at hand.

I'm not saying that mods shouldn't suggest for users to use off-topic. I'm also not saying that the rule about 10 posters in off-topic shouldn't be there.
I'm simply saying that something should be changed because how can new users be expected to follow forum rules if the same isn't clear enough for them to be enforced properly by moderators and admins?

The way I see it working is that people spamming for 10 posts are already breaking the rules no matter what forum. 10 posts spammers in OT get their posts removed just like any other forum. They aren't saying spamming for 10 posts in OT is allowed or accepted, just that it's a better alternative to forcing them to go to device forums and spam there. I disagree with the idea of OT being the so called "trash bin" of XDA that's supposed to round up all useless spam posts, I'm just trying to explain the idea behind it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Fallen Spartan

Moderator Emeritus- Irish Pride, Spartan Legacy
I would go one further tbh. I've never been a fan of the OT forums. Yes, they serve a purpose and supposedly remove a lot of the trash from device forums, but I'm yet to see one thread worth reading in the OT forums. Yes, the ORD was fun at the start, but tbh, I just avoid the OT forum. Sadly, or maybe good for us, a lot of people spend their whole time in the OT forum

You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think! XDA, mobile wisdom, not a n00b feeding ground!!

Reactions: efrant

MikeChannon

Forum Admin
Staff member
Jun 7, 1972
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
The way I see it working is that people spamming for 10 posts are already breaking the rules no matter what forum. 10 posts spammers in OT get their posts removed just like any other forum. They aren't saying spamming for 10 posts in OT is allowed or accepted, just that it's a better alternative to forcing them to go to device forums and spam there. I disagree with the idea of OT being the so called "trash bin" of XDA that's supposed to round up all useless spam posts, I'm just trying to explain the idea behind it.

Indeed this is correct.

Spamming 10 posts is not acceptable anywhere including OT. All we say is that if you really can't thing of sensible things to post elsewhere, or answers that you can give in Q&A then you will find threads in OT that are easy to contribute to. It does not mean folk are allowed to go to OT to post stupid stuff like "here is my first post", here is my second post" etc. My usual answer to folk is that we expect someone with developer level knowledge, should be well able to help answer a few Member's questions on the way to the Development forum, but if not contribute sensibly to OT threads.

I agree though that it is not working well, in that the 10 post rule is not teaching good habits and it is spoiling OT which used to be a good place to relax with social stuff and good quality humor.

Mike

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
I gotta say, if you're trying to reduce the number of...unnecessary posts, I'm having a hard time connecting spamming off topic to get to ten posts with gaining good relevant content from people. I never encourage off topic, I always encourage getting someone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda premium
I'm not saying that mods really encourage people posting in OT and don't go as far as to advise it to people, but from posts from mods in the old 'requests to mods and admins' thread, some mods had stated that they'd rather users make 10 posts in OT rather than device forum. Whether mods had actually said that directly to users, I have no idea.

Yeah it's a better alternative, but there's no need for the specific sticky in OT if spamming 10 posts isn't allowed on any part of the forum anyway.
I would go one further tbh. I've never been a fan of the OT forums. Yes, they serve a purpose and supposedly remove a lot of the trash from device forums, but I'm yet to see one thread worth reading in the OT forums. Yes, the ORD was fun at the start, but tbh, I just avoid the OT forum. Sadly, or maybe good for us, a lot of people spend their whole time in the OT forum

You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think! XDA, mobile wisdom, not a n00b feeding ground!!
Here's one :p
Indeed this is correct.

Spamming 10 posts is not acceptable anywhere including OT. All we say is that if you really can't thing of sensible things to post elsewhere, or answers that you can give in Q&A then you will find threads in OT that are easy to contribute to. It does not mean folk are allowed to go to OT to post stupid stuff like "here is my first post", here is my second post" etc. My usual answer to folk is that we expect someone with developer level knowledge, should be well able to help answer a few Member's questions on the way to the Development forum, but if not contribute sensibly to OT threads.

I agree though that it is not working well, in that the 10 post rule is not teaching good habits and it is spoiling OT which used to be a good place to relax with social stuff and good quality humor.

Mike
But if a new user will, in a lot of cases, have their posts removed from OT, then they'll end up going back to the device forums anyway. This is why the 10 post rule is kind of inconsistent.

prototype7

Apr 16, 2012
New Hampshire

Honestly I don't see why they have to have a specific purpose. It's just a fun, relaxed place for people that have some similar interests to hang out. I would also disagree with there being no threads worth reading in there, while there are a few pointless ones there are also a few gems in the rough that are fun to look over and participate in sometimes. Since we mostly want people to be talking strictly development and questions in device forums, it makes sense to me to have a forum for people to just hang out with the great people they meet here.

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 PM ----------

Indeed this is correct.

Mike

It's a tough question, and I think the 10 post rule in general isn't very effective, in my opinion we need something a little more strict for access to the development forums.

undercover

Oct 10, 2010
London, UK
Well, apparently 10 thanks rule was being discussed, any news on that?

prototype7

Apr 16, 2012
New Hampshire
Well, apparently 10 thanks rule was being discussed, any news on that?

That might not be a bad idea, but I'd make it at least 20. 10 is just too easy to get, the people allowed to post in development forums should have to contribute just a little bit before getting access.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    of course but no matter what iam tryin to search i always get no results

i made a search for "Magisk"
    am i doin it right?! :(

in xda app of ketan
    View attachment 6073197

and in opera browser
    View attachment 6073199

and both the same result
    View attachment 6073198
    View attachment 6073200

@dipseeet
    Have you managed to fix it?

It seems like this kind of issue was discussed by @Nimueh and @IronTechmonkey in somewhere else.
    Try to change the XDA Forum Style to XDA - Dark.
    Go to this post if you don't know how to change it.
    @dipseeet
    Have you managed to fix it?

It seems like this kind of issue was discussed by @Nimueh and @IronTechmonkey in somewhere else.
    Try to change the XDA Forum Style to XDA - Dark.
    Go to this post if you don't know how to change it.

Since switching From one of the old App templates to one of the newer ones I have been able to search "this thread" but there is a quirk and the behavior might not be the same when search is invoked by different buttons. Here I'm speaking to Firefox and the search button in the top bar. The order in which "this thread" is selected and the actual search criteria is entered seems to be a factor, possibly due to the dynamic nature of the search box as text is entered. IIRC: This thread > Criteria > search works best in my case but might not in all cases.
    Google is ok but it cannot do task in other apps like WhatsApp text.
    Google Assistant CAN send messages in Whatsapp.
    Yep, I use it often while driving (via Android Auto).
    After reading a few threads and comments from our members I thought it may be worthwhile to create a Feedback, Recommendations or Idea's thread for XDA. We want to improve our forum for developers and the normal users.

So, rather than sending a PM to a Moderator, please feel free to leave any feedback or idea's you may have to improve XDA, so we can discuss them properly, openly, with the plan to hopefully implement the ideas which are good.

It's sole purpose is to improve XDA and collect your thoughts and idea's.

We will all be monitoring this thread, and someone will hopefully reply without much delay.

Thanks

Rick
    Moderator/Developer Committee

Edits done by Clark Joseph Kent to better support XDA.
    XDA-Developers needs to be more about developers

While I see that time and users have made XDA less about development and more about user support, I think XDA has gone too far in that direction.

Developers need a place to DISCUSS development.

The "General" subforums are too overwhelmed with threads like "Post pictures of your phone", "list of threads linked from other places" and other random "general user" stuff.

The "Q&A" subforums are now a place where moderators chase newbies to. The most technical question you might find in the Q&A section these days is "I just bricked my phone, what do I do?" (Usually, the answers are either making fun of the OP or telling him/her to search.)

The "Development" subforums, which seems like a logical place to discuss development, is now reserved for people to post finish products only and beg for donations - It's the XDA version of the "app store." There's no actual "development" discussion allowed.

Here's what we don't have anymore (but desperately need):

A place where a kernel developer could start a thread discussing the pitfalls of turning off processor cores on a particular device when the device is idle. That would likely lead into a discussion on possible ways to optimize the IN/OUT code for the cores, which would actually *gasp* promote development.

A place where a person might post a "HOW TO" document describing how to modify a stock firmware for a specific device to override carrier controlled lock downs. (For example, editing the CSC for a samsung device.)

A place for development related DISCUSSION - not just a subform for "I cobbled together mods I copied from other people into a so-called ROM and will now beg you to donate to me and press my "thanks" button."

XDA promotes itself as a DEVELOPERS FORUM. The definition of "forum" is "A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged." Doesn't that seem to indicate that development related discussion would be encouraged here?

(continued...)

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

So, the obvious question about my post above is how do you moderate a "developers discussion" subforum?

I honestly don't see a problem with that. You make posting access to that subforum by request only. The access should be granted pretty freely but with a note reminding the user that any non-development discussions will result in loss of access to those subforums. Plain and simple. Any RD's or ERD's would automatically be given access without the need to post a request.

Only developers should moderate those subforums, as the fact is that XDA has some moderators that have no clue whatsoever what "development" is.

I'd even go so far as to suggest that XDA's ERDs would be given final say in moderating those subforums. Actually, it might be a good idea to give ERDs final say in moderating all the development related forums - including the existing so-called "development" and "original development" subforums.

I'll have one more post to discuss the current vagueness of the rules and the random enforcement of them...
    Seriously tempted to just ban the next person who talks about the 10 post rule in here. Obviously they don't read the OP and don't care. They just want to complain. Well maybe I don't care about their accounts any more and will just delete them.
    I don't read this thread for over a day and all hell breaks loose.

Unfortunately, the last few pages is not the way I intended this thread to go. Instead of being suggestings to improve XDA, it has been steered down the road of "should we have OT threads in device forums or not"

Can we try and steer away from this for a second and get back to the threads purpose with sensible suggestions. Now with all suggestions, discussion needs to take place so we can decide if the proposal is worthwhile or not. This is not us (mods & admin) ruling out your suggestions, it is us discussing your suggestion to see whether or not it would work with XDA.

I personally value all suggestions, unfortunately we can not implement them all, but we (XDA) will do our best to listen, communicate with you and move forward with suggestions which will work

Thanks
    I think every overlooks one thing - if they try to spam OT, it's easy to find and remove, and reset their accounts. Our FSMs will spot it in device forums.

I think in general we catch spammers faster in OT than elsewhere... So surely that helps, given it keeps OT clean..

Regards to OT, I think the perceived problem is one of maturity. I know most of those involved claim to be adults, but some of the pointless threads about banana and llama are frankly a waste of space... OT used to be about mature debate and humour, but now it seems dominated by a highly insular group who spend inordinate amounts of time there, which would be more productively spent getting a job, or constructively posting to help people having problems..