How to root kindle fire any version (including 8.4.6)

Search This thread

Brandonrz

Apr 20, 2011
Reno
To Start off... This is for windows and Linux! I had a lot of trouble at first trying to root. But as soon as i stumbled upon this 1 click root and the correct adb drivers i rooted fast and easy. My kindle was running 8.4.3 for this. But several people have came to me saying it works with 8.4.6 os. So what u want is the normal usb cable and windows/linux. And download the two files at the bottom.

Before you begin, if you have Windows Vista or Windows 7 or 8, open a Command Prompt & type ‘ping 4.2.2.2‘ then press enter. If you get replies, carry on with the rest of the guide. If not, you’ll have to carry out this small fix first! Skip to the bottom where it says "Still not work? :( Then move onto the "How to?..."
How to?...
1. ENABLE ADB IN SETTINGS UNDER SECURITY
Step 1. Download all files provided in the post and keep kindle unplugged at all times
Step 2. To be safe uninstall any other drivers for the kindle installed on the operating system (Win.) And Reboot.
Step 3. Install the adb drivers provided in the .zip
Step 4. Unzip the bin4ry tool on ur desktop and run the .bat file for windows as admin/.sh for Linux.
Step 5. Keep kindle unplugged still... The menu u will be promoted with will ask you what is ur device type. Select normal.
Step 6. Once you selected normal and the command prompt will say plug in your device. Do it.
Step 7. It will say a bunch of stuff, once it stops spitting out lines, if your kindle isnt already. Unlock it.
Step 8. Hopefully u get a window on ur kindle asking to restore and enter ur credentials. JUST PRESS RESTORE AT THE BOTTOM.
IF U GET LOST... ON THE CMD JUST FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS ON THE COMPUTER. If I helped press the like button:good:
Still not work? :(
Right click on My Computer/Computer (whichever you have) and choose Properties.
Go into System and this will open System properties. Once here, select ‘Advanced System Settings’.
Next choose ‘Environment Variables’ and under the ‘System Variables’ find ‘Path’.
Select ‘Path’ with your mouse and choose ‘edit’.
Scroll to the very end of the list in here. It’ll have various paths for different things, all separated by a semi-colon like this ‘;‘. Be careful not to change anything else here, simply paste in ‘;C:\Windows\System32‘. Note that there’s no space between ; and the C:\Windows\System32 and this statement isn’t case sensitive, it can be both upper and lowercase or a mix.
Click OK & repeat until you’ve closed System Properties.
Test by opening Command Prompt (Start > Run > cmd OK, Win-key + R > cmd OK, or however you prefer to get there) & ping 4.2.2.2 again. If you see replies, congratz, you’re all set!
Kindle Fire HD 8.9 ADB drivers.zip
Bin4ry Root v30

Last edited:

rebelduke

Sep 3, 2009
2nd bootloader and TWRP for 8.4.3

To Start off... This is for windows and Linux! I had a lot of trouble at first trying to root. But as soon as i stumbled upon this 1 click root and the correct adb drivers i rooted fast and easy. My kindle was running 8.4.3 for this. So what u want is the normal usb cable and windows/linux. And download the two files at the bottom.

Before you begin, if you have Windows Vista or Windows 7, open a Command Prompt & type ‘ping 4.2.2.2‘ then press enter. If you get replies, carry on with the rest of the guide. If not, you’ll have to carry out this small fix first! Skip to the bottom where it says "Still not work? :( Then move onto the "How to?..."
How to?...

IF U GET LOST... ON THE CMD JUST FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS ON THE COMPUTER. If I helped press the like button:good:

Bin4ry Root v30

Now that I'm rooted could you do a tutorial on how to add a 2nd bootloader plus TWRP using 8.4.3? It would be greatly appreciated by many of us beginners!

Brandonrz

Apr 20, 2011
Reno
Now that I'm rooted could you do a tutorial on how to add a 2nd bootloader plus TWRP using 8.4.3? It would be greatly appreciated by many of us beginners!

I'll get on it asap, but remember that I'm playing it by ear since I just got my kindle about a week ago. Right now I'm creating a tut on how to install the play store.

Sent from my Kindle Fire 8.9 HD via T-T Hd

pattiman

Feb 26, 2005
Unfortunately it's not working for me. My Kindle is on 8.4.3 and has ADB enabled.I've installed the ADB drivers and rebooted my Windows 7 64-bit PC. I've pinged the tablet and get a response. I run the batch file as admin and press (1). I get some messages including "connect your device". A demon gets succesfully started at 5037. But after that I see nothing... My kindle's screen is unlocked, btw.

Any ideas?

Reactions: MichTarts

Brandonrz

Apr 20, 2011
Reno
Unfortunately it's not working for me. My Kindle is on 8.4.3 and has ADB enabled.I've installed the ADB drivers and rebooted my Windows 7 64-bit PC. I've pinged the tablet and get a response. I run the batch file as admin and press (1). I get some messages including "connect your device". A demon gets succesfully started at 5037. But after that I see nothing... My kindle's screen is unlocked, btw.

Any ideas?

Delete the bin4ry folder. And unzip it again, run option 1 while unplugged. Then plug in your kindle.

spearoid

Feb 21, 2009
I tried the older root option and that worked fine. Thanks for your effort!

What does this mean? The older root option?
I am in the exact same boat. I can ping the device, but when running runme.bat it just sticks at waiting for device.

I deleted and re-extracted the zip file. That did not help. I am going to go try other root options to see if I can figure out which one you did that worked.

spearoid

Feb 21, 2009
What does this mean? The older root option?
I am in the exact same boat. I can ping the device, but when running runme.bat it just sticks at waiting for device.

I deleted and re-extracted the zip file. That did not help. I am going to go try other root options to see if I can figure out which one you did that worked.

I was able to use the instructions in the OP to root my KFHD 8.9 on 8.4.3. The adb drivers linked to in the OP were the problem for me. I had previously installed drivers that were a different size exe (9.183 MB) that I reverted to that allowed me to connect to the Fire through adb and run the tool from the OP to root.

Brandonrz

Apr 20, 2011
Reno
I was able to use the instructions in the OP to root my KFHD 8.9 on 8.4.3. The adb drivers linked to in the OP were the problem for me. I had previously installed drivers that were a different size exe (9.183 MB) that I reverted to that allowed me to connect to the Fire through adb and run the tool from the OP to root.

I'm glad I could help another root :)

Brandonrz

Apr 20, 2011
Reno
1 downgrade, 2 failed attempts, one brick and a redscreen later... I installed 2nd boot loader + twrp + cm10.1 :) :) :) All starting from 8.4.3 :) ganna post a tut soon for you guys.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk HD

wnyzfinest

Mar 19, 2006
so i did everything step by step ,

it appeared to communicate fine and said done, however my device remains unrooted - no super user function

any ideas?

///

Update - manually installed super user app and prompt app, got it working!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Brandonrz

Brandonrz

Apr 20, 2011
Reno
so i did everything step by step ,

it appeared to communicate fine and said done, however my device remains unrooted - no super user function

any ideas?

///

Update - manually installed super user app and prompt app, got it working!!

Glad you got it :)

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk HD

Board373

Jul 24, 2009
8.4.6 Update..

Does anyone know if this root method will work for the 8.4.6 update that my Kindle just automatically upgraded to? I had it rooted before on 8.4.3 using this method.

Trying to decide if I risk it or wait till someone with a factory cable tests it first. Please let me know if it works successfully for you and I will update with my results if I get brave and try it myself...

sonicanomaly

May 31, 2013
Does anyone know if this root method will work for the 8.4.6 update that my Kindle just automatically upgraded to? I had it rooted before on 8.4.3 using this method.

Trying to decide if I risk it or wait till someone with a factory cable tests it first. Please let me know if it works successfully for you and I will update with my results if I get brave and try it myself...

Did you have OTA updates blocked on 8.4.3? If so, by what method? I'm just asking because I'm still nervous about leaving my wifi on after rooting 8.4.3 and using the method of OTA blocking which renames the otacerts file.

Board373

Jul 24, 2009
Did you have OTA updates blocked on 8.4.3? If so, by what method? I'm just asking because I'm still nervous about leaving my wifi on after rooting 8.4.3 and using the method of OTA blocking which renames the otacerts file.

No I did not have OTA updates blocked and I always leave WiFi on, otherwise its a paperweight in my opinion. I hope this method will work for root with 8.4.6 but I think I will wait for someone with a factory cable to attempt first.

sonicanomaly

May 31, 2013
No I did not have OTA updates blocked and I always leave WiFi on, otherwise its a paperweight in my opinion. I hope this method will work for root with 8.4.6 but I think I will wait for someone with a factory cable to attempt first.

Ah, I agree about that and it's why I hate being uncertain if my OTA blocking works because I'd hate to be stuck with an update that finally breaks the rooting exploit or something of that sort. That said, however, from what I've read the 8.9" Fire HD doesn't need a factory cable to enter fastboot. No confirmation on my end of that, as I've yet to need to use fastboot and thus haven't tried it.

I do know, however, that KFFirstAide's method of rooting with the latest version of the software (downloaded from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2096888 ) worked flawlessly on 8.4.3 for me. And those who tried the older version on 8.4.3 didn't report any bricking or anything of that sort, simply that the process completed but did not successfully root. I would assume, but certainly not guarantee or suggest to know with any certainty, that it puts the risk of bricking in the event it can't root the firmware version down to a low percentage. It may be worth attempting. But I definitely see why you're worried about it; I'd be hesitant, as well.

Good luck, and I hope someone who's had experience with 8.4.6 can come along and offer you some solid answers. I'd definitely suggest blocking OTA updates when you regain root, though. With OTA blocked, you can still manually download any updates you want (preferably after seeing whether it's capable of being re-rooted) and install them via usb, whenever you wish.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    To Start off... This is for windows and Linux! I had a lot of trouble at first trying to root. But as soon as i stumbled upon this 1 click root and the correct adb drivers i rooted fast and easy. My kindle was running 8.4.3 for this. But several people have came to me saying it works with 8.4.6 os. So what u want is the normal usb cable and windows/linux. And download the two files at the bottom.

Before you begin, if you have Windows Vista or Windows 7 or 8, open a Command Prompt & type ‘ping 4.2.2.2‘ then press enter. If you get replies, carry on with the rest of the guide. If not, you’ll have to carry out this small fix first! Skip to the bottom where it says "Still not work? :( Then move onto the "How to?..."
    How to?...
    1. ENABLE ADB IN SETTINGS UNDER SECURITY
    Step 1. Download all files provided in the post and keep kindle unplugged at all times
    Step 2. To be safe uninstall any other drivers for the kindle installed on the operating system (Win.) And Reboot.
    Step 3. Install the adb drivers provided in the .zip
    Step 4. Unzip the bin4ry tool on ur desktop and run the .bat file for windows as admin/.sh for Linux.
    Step 5. Keep kindle unplugged still... The menu u will be promoted with will ask you what is ur device type. Select normal.
    Step 6. Once you selected normal and the command prompt will say plug in your device. Do it.
    Step 7. It will say a bunch of stuff, once it stops spitting out lines, if your kindle isnt already. Unlock it.
    Step 8. Hopefully u get a window on ur kindle asking to restore and enter ur credentials. JUST PRESS RESTORE AT THE BOTTOM.
    Right click on My Computer/Computer (whichever you have) and choose Properties.
    Go into System and this will open System properties. Once here, select ‘Advanced System Settings’.
    Next choose ‘Environment Variables’ and under the ‘System Variables’ find ‘Path’.
    Select ‘Path’ with your mouse and choose ‘edit’.
    Scroll to the very end of the list in here. It’ll have various paths for different things, all separated by a semi-colon like this ‘;‘. Be careful not to change anything else here, simply paste in ‘;C:\Windows\System32‘. Note that there’s no space between ; and the C:\Windows\System32 and this statement isn’t case sensitive, it can be both upper and lowercase or a mix.
    Click OK & repeat until you’ve closed System Properties.
    Test by opening Command Prompt (Start > Run > cmd OK, Win-key + R > cmd OK, or however you prefer to get there) & ping 4.2.2.2 again. If you see replies, congratz, you’re all set!
    Bin4ry Root v30
    Reserved :highfive:
    2nd bootloader and TWRP for 8.4.3

To Start off... This is for windows and Linux! I had a lot of trouble at first trying to root. But as soon as i stumbled upon this 1 click root and the correct adb drivers i rooted fast and easy. My kindle was running 8.4.3 for this. So what u want is the normal usb cable and windows/linux. And download the two files at the bottom.

Before you begin, if you have Windows Vista or Windows 7, open a Command Prompt & type ‘ping 4.2.2.2‘ then press enter. If you get replies, carry on with the rest of the guide. If not, you’ll have to carry out this small fix first! Skip to the bottom where it says "Still not work? :( Then move onto the "How to?..."
    How to?...

Bin4ry Root v30

Any ideas?

Delete the bin4ry folder. And unzip it again, run option 1 while unplugged. Then plug in your kindle.

Any ideas?