Run a website on your Android Phone

Search This thread

GlobaL_TroTTer

May 7, 2010
Oslo
www.cyanstatic.com
*edit- For some reason, this thread got posted in Android Software and Hacking general instead of Android apps and games :-|

Hey everyone, its me again.

I have recently been using an app called Paw Server for Android. Though it may seem stupid, this app can really come in handy. The app itself is a utility for managing messages, contacts ect.. But what many people do not realise is that you can host your own website on it, wherever you go. Though this will only work over wifi, you can optionally do some port forwarding to make the site accessible over the internet.

To put a custom website on the server, do the following

1. Install PAW Server for android.

2. Mout your phone's SD-Card On your computer

3. This step has two options:

A Website:
Put your website files in /paw/html/ and make sure the index.html is in this directory. (If you need help creating a site, please visit http://cyanstatic.com)

A File explorer:
If creating a website is too much of a hassle, you can just put some files that you would like to access from your browser in /paw/html/. I Put a couple of songs and videos in the folder and had no trouble streaming the files to my browser.

4. Now open PAW and press the 'Start" Button.

Congratulations!
Your website/chosen files should now be accessible from your browser

Attachments

• chart.png
    chart.png
    1 KB · Views: 345
Last edited:

doenis

Oct 26, 2006
i use swiftp, does pretty much that, though it is dedicates to do so, so i think it's a bit more comfortable

jerryasher

Aug 30, 2010
I used PAW Server to host a WIKI on my Nexus One

I used PAW Server to host a WIKI on my Nexus One....

And it almost worked!

tiddlywiki (google it, I'm new and can't do links) is a one page wiki written in, I can't really tell because the tiddlywiki page doesn't do much about talking about how it works.

But PAW serves the pages, and some of the read/browse functions seem to work -- but I was unable to figure out how to edit a page -- and that could just be my fault.

And installing the wiki was pretty easy. I downloaded the zip file to my pc, moved it into my dropbox directory, unpacked it into a directory called wiki, and then on my phone, I synced drop box, and I moved the wiki directory into the paws/html directory. And it served up the page just fine.

But I couldn't edit it.

mik101

Jul 13, 2010
Why does it ask for permissions to everything? ie Camera, Vibrate, etc....
This maybe unintentional with the manifest, but it looks awfully rogue when programs look for permission to things they don't use.

Last edited:

drnessie

Check out Wifi Remote Access for Windows Mobile: You can do the same thing, but it also comes with a whole range of other stuff.
To edit it, you just need to go into program file, and add a folder inside public (I think) with all your website files. Then change Wifi Remote Access's default.html to redirect you there,instead of to /fs/

joschi70

Aug 10, 2010
www.fun2code.de
With the server it is also possible to develop web applications that use the Android API.
That's also a reason (apart from the web interface mentioned by GlobaL_TroTTer) why there are so many permission requested.

dgsmith90

May 15, 2010
Great find! This is going to be very beneficial to me if I ever misplace my phone around the house or at school. It also has several features that are invaluable IMHO.

pbaker99

Jun 2, 2011
Great App - but not working on Verizon network

PAW Server is a real gem... it works great in a LAN/WiFi environment.

Unfortunately, it appears that Verizon Wireless doesn't route ANY traffic that is not initiated by the phone/user.

So thi nice little personal web server is unreachable over the air.

Same for Telnet, FTP, etc.

If anyone has a working app (on a Verizon network) - reachable FROM the net - please let me know!!

k_t_b

Mar 23, 2012
Chicago 'burb
I've played around with PAW Server. I like the PHP Plugin. I created an offline UPC scanner web app (for retail inventory) in PHP/JS/WebSQL which synched with a remote server. It eventually turned into a Phonegap app.

borg286

Dec 2, 2012
Directory Permissions

Does anyone have a link to some documentation regarding "Directory Protection" part of PAW?
It mentioned that granting permissions to certain folders must follow the following format

relative-directory:auth-type:realm:users

with a sample of
/test:basic:Test Real:user

But I don't know what auth-types are available. I'd like to grant a certain folder read permissions to everybody.

I just have to say that setting up my own website with PAW was super easy (10 easy steps):
1) Install PAW and start up server: google PAW android
2) Find external IP: google "what's my IP"
3) Go to router (192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 ) and enable port forwarding to your android for the port you used.
4) Set up PHP: Use browser to hit server(192.168.1.?), sign in, go to add-ons, setup PHP, transfer unzipped folder to /sdcard/paw/html/app/plugins/ and restart PAW server
5) create file (mypage.php) with contents(<html><head></head><body><?php echo '<p>Hello World again</p>'; ?> </body></html>) and place it in /sdcard/paw/html/app/
6) Navigate to [myexternalIP]:[myport]/app/mypage.php (note requires login) Unless you changed the port number it defaults to 8080
7) Register for a free domain: no-ip.com
8) Modify host to have "Port 80 Redirect" to the port you configured (typically 8080)
9) Fix permissions on certain folders so joe blow can hit my server <---- How to do this part????
10) Profit!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    *edit- For some reason, this thread got posted in Android Software and Hacking general instead of Android apps and games :-|

Hey everyone, its me again.

I have recently been using an app called Paw Server for Android. Though it may seem stupid, this app can really come in handy. The app itself is a utility for managing messages, contacts ect.. But what many people do not realise is that you can host your own website on it, wherever you go. Though this will only work over wifi, you can optionally do some port forwarding to make the site accessible over the internet.

To put a custom website on the server, do the following

1. Install PAW Server for android.

2. Mout your phone's SD-Card On your computer

3. This step has two options:

A Website:
    Put your website files in /paw/html/ and make sure the index.html is in this directory. (If you need help creating a site, please visit http://cyanstatic.com)

A File explorer:
    If creating a website is too much of a hassle, you can just put some files that you would like to access from your browser in /paw/html/. I Put a couple of songs and videos in the folder and had no trouble streaming the files to my browser.

4. Now open PAW and press the 'Start" Button.

Congratulations!
    Your website/chosen files should now be accessible from your browser