No magazineUX

Search This thread

hpblze

Nov 17, 2010
Ok ?

Wait .. Isn't that a good thing , no bloat - ware ...
A couple of months back Samsung signed an agreement with Google that they will try to reduce the modifications to the stock Android experience
I think this is the result of that agreement.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
The only 4.4 ROM out right now is for the Columbian Wi-Fi version. It could be the same ROM as for other markets or it may not be. Magazine UX is still on the N10.1-14 microsite where it first appeared after the Pro's started shipping. It may mean something or it may not.

http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/2014galaxynote10.1/feature.html

If it does end up permanently missing I won't be too upset. When M-UX was first shown at CES I thought it was cool because there were a ton of widgets and you could create tiles for any installed app. In and of itself it could have been a potential alternate UI. What was released with the Pro's was completely neutered. From three home pages with one being the main home screen it's been reduced to one tagged on at the end of the traditional TW home pages. Most of the widgets left are just modular pieces of My Magazine which means it went from being a hidden pull-up to mandatorily consuming a home page that could be used for other things instead. I use all my home pages so wasn't keen on giving one up to M-UX in its current state. It's not even called Magazine UX anymore. It's now "Content Home."

There is a downside. I was kind of hoping the N10.1-14 would have been made s/w compatible with the Pro's to increase the frequency of updates received. If M-UX and other UI-based features from the Pro's have been left out we'll end up being an odd duck and 4.4 might be the last major update we see. It certainly won't help update timing, that's for sure.

Time will tell...

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
You really want that bloated crap? I'm glad it's not on there.

If I wanted AOSP I wouldn't have spent what I did on a tablet that has more added on top of Android than any other device on the planet. You'll find this shocking but some folks actually do use the N10.1-14 to get work done and a lot of that "bloated crap" is what makes that possible.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Actually I wasn't talking to you hammer, it was for the op.

My bad. ;) But this is a mixed forum. 1/3 actually use the N10.1-14 as a creation/productivity device as Samsung intended. 1/3 bought if for the high-end h/w, stripped it bare s/w wise, and I guess use it primarily for consumption and gaming. The other 1/3 are somewhere in between. What pleases one group pisses the other off. To each their own.

S Pen and s/w combined are more important to Note purchasers than the h/w. Even the Samsung brand is more important than h/w. Maybe not on XDA but for the rest of the masses that make up 95+% of Note sales. TW won't win any design awards but it does provide a level of functionality, especially on the Note's, that makes having it a positive; at least for me.

13905271964_5aeef20411.jpg

Itchiee

Sep 30, 2007
Somewhere Else
I understand and do enjoy your posts here. I'm looking at it for what it is a Flip board home screen and do not see it being useful for most when you can have the same functionality already. Yes my tablet is a luxury device to me that I wanted but don't need. If it bums you guys out that it's missing then I apologize, but I'm glad I don't have it running...

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Reactions: BarryH_GEG

hpblze

Nov 17, 2010
I understand and do enjoy your posts here. I'm looking at it for what it is a Flip board home screen and do not see it being useful for most when you can have the same functionality already. Yes my tablet is a luxury device to me that I wanted but don't need. If it bums you guys out that it's missing then I apologize, but I'm glad I don't have it running...

Just to Add , I would love any extra software functionality as long as the "frame rate" is maintained as stock .

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
I understand and do enjoy your posts here. I'm looking at it for what it is a Flip board home screen and do not see it being useful for most when you can have the same functionality already. Yes my tablet is a luxury device to me that I wanted but don't need. If it bums you guys out that it's missing then I apologize, but I'm glad I don't have it running.

We actually agree. ;) Before M-UX got neutered I was cautiously excited. Mostly for the interactive widgets that could be potential productivity boosters and getting more content on each page. As it stands now it's just a space wasting news feed. The Pro's also lost Samsung Hub which we'll retain. Samsung's videos can be stored on external SD and played back in Pop-up-play which is great for long trips.

hashcheck

We actually agree. ;) Before M-UX got neutered I was cautiously excited. Mostly for the interactive widgets that could be potential productivity boosters and getting more content on each page. As it stands now it's just a space wasting news feed. The Pro's also lost Samsung Hub which we'll retain. Samsung's videos can be stored on external SD and played back in Pop-up-play which is great for long trips.

I will pull magazineUX from a p900 rom and test it out may include as an option in next rom release. V1 due out in 13mins

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
I will pull magazineUX from a p900 rom and test it out may include as an option in next rom release. V1 due out in 13mins

The version of M-UX in the N12 is crippled like described above. Here's a thread from the N12 forum that discusses what's missing along with a kind of schizophrenic discussion on how to (theoretically) get the missing components back. People in the N12 forum are trying to figure out how to disable/remove M-UX so they can get a normal home page back. The grass is always greener... ;)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2663940

retrofred

Sep 25, 2006
canyon country
Hancom Office

The only thing I'm hoping for when the 4.4 is eleased for U.S. is the Hancom Office software. Won't loose any sleep if they exclude the Magazine UX. I had a Pro 8.4 and a Note 12.2(to big) and really didn't like it.

Duly.noted

Dec 5, 2013
I have the note 12.2 and I dont use magazine ux. Actually bought nova prime finally for it. Like barry said if it had been released like it was at ces I would have loved it. But as it is it is nuetered and boring. It is still pretty sexy looking imo.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is good news to me, tbh.

I'm in the "who gives a ****" crowd. It's a bloated gimmick that'd be used one time and abandoned.