IR remote

Search This thread

ylexot

Dec 8, 2010
I dont understand you guys, IR means inferred which means that remote and device need to have clear view of each other. RF is radio frequency which means remote and device do Not need a clear line of sight meaning it can bounce off of objects to reach device

Sent from my LG-D851 using XDA Free mobile app

Actually, IR means infrared, not inferred. ;) Also, RF doesn't necessarily bounce off of stuff to get to the receiver. It usually just goes through objects.

The issue is that most dedicated IR remotes (i.e. the ones that come with TVs, etc.) have a pretty wide emission angle. The one in the G3 is pretty narrow. It is also probably very low power compared to dedicated remotes. So, its performance is lacking.

postal302

Nov 21, 2013
Nashville
Yep, mine has to be aimed at the TV ... what an annoying task ... oh wait, I don't have to fumble through multiple remotes because I have everything consolidated into my phone! AND I came from the S3 which didn't have an IR blaster so it's really nice to actually have one.

If I have to aim my phone at the TV so what? It still works and I don't have a remote farm for all the devices I want to control.

Look on the bright side, it's not the 60s where we didn't have cell phones and only had knobs on the TVs (no remote at all).

#firstworldproblems:eek:

ylexot

Dec 8, 2010
I just wish electronics manufacturers would add bluetooth control to their devices.

Artimis

Jan 18, 2010
I wonder why they didn't put the IR blaster on the back next to the LED flash or Laser Autofocus? It would make more sense back there for a few reasons:
1) You could actually look at the phone to see what button you press instead of having to point the phone down at the TV
2) The IR LED size could increase without increasing the size/thickness of the device....that would probably allow for better range and emission angles
3) The IR LED could be used together with the camera for better night recording (probably would only help minimally but everyone likes to market gimmicks)

kthung

Apr 25, 2011
Yeah I've noticed I have to be directly in front of the TV for it to work. With my Note 8 I can be a 7 or 8 feet off center and still control. Doesn't really bother me though as 95% of the time I'm on the couch and it works perfectly then.

Artimis

Jan 18, 2010
WOW so you mean to tell us that you point your tv remote control up at the ceiling when you change channels?

Sent from my LG-D851 using XDA Free mobile app

No, the ergonomics of a traditional remote and a smartphone are completely different. Traditional remotes are designed to be pointed at the television........a smart phone is designed to be handled upright with the user looking at the screen when interacting with it.

I find it unnatural to point the top at the TV. Considering the flat touchscreen surface, it can make it difficult to click the correct button, avoid accidental screen touches with other parts of your palm, and not to mention how autorotate can kick in when the phone is flat (which would cause the orientation to completely shift right before clicking the correct button).

Using the remote in the same manner as operating the camera one-handed makes more sense to me when it comes to using a smartphone to control the TV.

Last edited:

aj522

Sep 28, 2010
No, the ergonomics of a traditional remote and a smartphone are completely different. Traditional remotes are designed to be pointed at the television........a smart phone is designed to be handled upright with the user looking at the screen when interacting with it.

I find it unnatural to point the top at the TV. Considering the flat touchscreen surface, it can make it difficult to click the correct button, avoid accidental screen touches with other parts of your palm, and not to mention how autorotate can kick in when the phone is flat (which would cause the orientation to completely shift right before clicking the correct button).

Using the remote in the same manner as operating the camera one-handed makes more sense to me when it comes to using a smartphone to control the TV.

I remember seeing pics when the phones info was first emerging and a lot of people thought the laser for the focus for the camera was the ir blaster.

I thought "man it makes so much,more sense to put it on the back"....but we were wrong...

ylexot

Dec 8, 2010
I remember seeing pics when the phones info was first emerging and a lot of people thought the laser for the focus for the camera was the ir blaster.

I thought "man it makes so much,more sense to put it on the back"....but we were wrong...

Anybody know what frequency the laser is? Maybe it's possible to hack it into an IR blaster.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have to tilt mine downward at a 45° angle (screen up & towards the tv).

Also I couldn't get it to work with my Comcast boxes. I think the reason it won't connect to the boxes is because it uses the power button to sync. These boxes don't power off. They have a power button, but a press does nothing, and a long press reboots them. Anyone else run into this, or have a work around?

You can always using the learning feature if you have the original remote.

Edit: If its a wifi remote then it might be a little more tricky.
    Also I couldn't get it to work with my Comcast boxes. I think the reason it won't connect to the boxes is because it uses the power button to sync. These boxes don't power off. They have a power button, but a press does nothing, and a long press reboots them. Anyone else run into this, or have a work around?

A lot of the cable boxes actually use an RF signal. SO this will not work with it period. But I could not tell you which ones....