[ROOT][TOOL]Debugfs automated root [09/18/2012]

Search This thread

karimooz

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria
Ok I'm in if you are still around sparkym3.

Running v1.3 bat gets me to...

Step 2 -- Rooting...
debugfs 1.42
debugfs: Allocated inode: 1369
debugfs: su: File not found by ext2_loopback
debugfs:
Rebooting...
Testing superuser...
/system/bin/sh: /system/xbin/su: not found

uid and gid should both be 0.
Are they? (y/n):

I'm stopped here. not sure how to proceed.

Same here

sparkym3

Dec 31, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 7 (2013)

Step 2 -- Rooting...
debugfs 1.42
debugfs:
Rebooting...
Testing superuser...

Are they? (y/n):

I know exactly what it is, I updated something and it affected another line. The fix should be up in a sec, v1.4

texstar

Feb 13, 2012
Houston
I know exactly what it is, I updated something and it affected another line. The fix should be up in a sec, v1.4

v1.4 gets here then stops.

Code:
Step 2 -- Rooting...
debugfs 1.42
debugfs:
Rebooting...

karimooz

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria

Step 2 -- Rooting...
debugfs 1.42
debugfs:
Rebooting...
Testing superuser...

Are they? (y/n):

Now the following is displayed

Pushing Superuser.apk...
999 KB/s (843503 bytes in 0.824s)
can't find '/data/local/Superuser.apk' to install

Rebooting...

Once your Prime reboots, it will be rooted!

Press any key to continue . . .

sparkym3

Dec 31, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 7 (2013)
Now the following is displayed

Pushing Superuser.apk...
999 KB/s (843503 bytes in 0.824s)
can't find '/data/local/Superuser.apk' to install

Rebooting...

Once your Prime reboots, it will be rooted!

Press any key to continue . . .

So I guess you don't have to push the apk before installing it, so, I have fixed in v1.5

So you don't have to go through the whole process again, just run this command from that directory you unzipped to.
adb install Superuser.apk

I just installed SuperUser from the market and its now working thanks

That works as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aaronneal

texstar

Feb 13, 2012
Houston
v1.4 gets here then stops.

Step 2 -- Rooting...
debugfs 1.42
debugfs:
Rebooting...

Ok got past the above but now getting.

Testing superuser...
Segmentation fault.

Aaronneal

Nov 10, 2008
think I am done, do i need supersuer or superSU from the market? otherwise it seems to have worked for me :)

EDIT:

rootkeeper installed and all seemed to be great! Thanks given ;)

first time I felt like rooting, I feel almost liberated, now what to install with my new root???

Last edited:
think I am done, do i need supersuer or superSU from the market? otherwise it seems to have worked for me :)
EDIT:
first time I felt like rooting, I feel almost liberated, now what to install with my new root???

SuperSu as same apk than Superuser, except than SuperSu is the newest apk.
I use it on my One X without problem ;)
You can install Superuser on first, cause it's the apk which is installed in tool.
And when you have update SU, you could change for SuperSu after.

As you like ;)

Last edited:

sparkym3

Dec 31, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 7 (2013)

EDIT:

SuperSu as same apk than Superuser, except than SuperSu is the newest apk.
I use it on my One X without problem ;)

You can install Superuser on first, cause it's the apk which is installed in tool.
And when you have update SU, you could change for SuperSu.
As you like ;)

Currently this tool uses the su and apk from superuser. I can create one to use SuperSu if there is enough demand.

jcoleridge

Mar 29, 2012
Milan
In opening for the first time titanium backup, it said that i was using incorrect su, and that this may take to some problems, so it suggested it could change from 4470 to 5470 (it was 10 minutes ago, but i don't remember exactly the numbers lol. Anyway there was a 5 instead of a 4). After changing it told me to reboot. Everything is ok (i successfully restored a backup of whatsapp from my phone and then uninstalled titanium), but, since i am a total noob in these things, i ask you if this change could be a problem on the prime.

Sent from my LG-P990 using XDA

micaman

Jul 15, 2005
You are the man! Tool developed literally hours before the OTA update. Donation heading your way!

dbattenfl

May 1, 2012
Tampa, FL
I just sucessfully rooted .28 with no previous rooting done.
Used the v1.5 posted on the first page. I did have to install superuser.apk from the market and busybox. But it is now fully rooted.
I actually tried supersu.apk first, but it failed. But after playing a few minutes, its all working.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This tool will root your device based on the debugfs root method developed by miloj.

Just download and unzip everything into a directory; then run RootDebugfs.bat from that directory (if you do not currently have the device drivers for your transformer, they are attached to this post, please install them, please use them to install your device before attempting the process).

Neither ADB nor the SDK need to be installed as all needed files are included in the attachments below (though it won't hurt anything if they are).

Helpful tip:
    Make sure no other Android device is connected to your PC

It should look familiar since I took PrimeTime and gutted it, only keeping the menu options. Thanks to viperboy for that.
    Original post is in the TF300 thread, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1704209

UPDATE 6/12/2012:
    v1.1 - Added donation link for miloj
    v1.2 - Fixed bug that caused it to stop while doing "debugfs", to cancel press Ctrl+c
    v1.3 - Fixed bug where the id is not returned from the su test
    v1.4 - Fixed bug introduced with v1.3
    v1.5 - Fixed bug where you don't have to push the apk before calling install

6/13/2012
    v1.6 - Fixed messaging (this is a cosmetic change)
    v1.7 - Added a remove call on su prior to rooting for those who had root previously and it not longer works
    v1.8 - Change the octal permissions to be 6755 instead of 4755

7/2/2012
    v1.9 - Update superuser app and binary to the latest version available
    XDA uploads are not working currently so I have uploaded the new version to here for now
    https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=DC89975E3CE960E5!221

8/5/2012
    v2.0 - Updated to include a kill for Asus sync as that seemed to be the biggest issue.
    I have also made it more generic so that it can root more devices with the same util. This is done by scanning for the system partition automatically, thanks to rightonred for that suggestion. With the attachment labeled "generic" I have removed all asus references and drivers since they were causing issues with me being able to attach the zip to xda. Anybody who needs the drivers can download them from asus or from another xda post.
    v2.1 - Added a pause while waiting for the device to restart to alleviate that nuisance.
    v2.2 - Added message to ignore "File not found" message when trying to delete old su versions. Also updated message with the generic locations of settings on the tablet.

8/12/2012
    v2.3 - Update su binary file (hopefully it may help some of the people with superuser app issues)

ASUS drivers can be downloaded from the ASUS site but some are not provided other than through the sync install. I have extracted out the drivers from that sync install and attached them to this post. These drivers will support most of the Asus Eee Pad family including TF101, TF201, TF300, TF700, ME171(MeMO), A66(Padfone), SL101(Slider), and a couple others.

No longer need a PadFone specific root util as the generic one should work for it as well.

Here is a version I put together for the Gallexy SII (but the generic one attached here should work fine)
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=27611187&postcount=3
    Latest Supported Versions:
    v9.2.1.27 for the TF101 (ICS 4.0.3)
    v9.2.2.6 for the TF101G (ICS 4.0.3) (3G version)

v9.4.2.28 for the TF201 (ICS 4.0.3)

v9.4.3.30 for the TF300T (ICS 4.0.3)
    v9.4.4.40 for the TF300TG (ICS 4.0.3) (3G version)

v9.4.5.30 for the TF700T (ICS 4.0.3)

v9.18.8.41 for the PadFone (ICS 4.0.3)

These are the latest supported versions as far as I know, if I get any further input I will update this post.

Reported UNsupported Versions
    v10.4.2.15 for the TF201 (JB 4.1.1)
    v10.4.2.9 for the TF300T (JB 4.1.1)
    v10.4.4.16 for the TF700T (JB 4.1.1)
    v9.20.1.22 for the PadFone (ICS 4.0.4)
    I have not been on the forum for a couple days so I will respond to a few things.

Supersu is not required, rootkeeper will work with superuser installed as well.

The best option I have seen for the next root is the google restore exploit, but it has yet to be adjusted for the asus devices.

I will help in any way I see possible to help figure a new root method out, or create a tool that is needed if a manual root method is found. Until then, reverting to ics, rooting, and upgrade seems to be the only route. Though I am vague on the details of that procedure.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2
    any one confirmed? what's the risk, if it doesnt work?

The risk if it doesn't would should just be that you wouldn't have root.

We already have confirmation that the method works (so there should be no risk there). We just don't have confirmation that I didn't make a typo or other mistake when putting it all together.
    It appears it cannot find "su" in the /system/xbin/ folder. Using Root Browser (free) I have confirmed it *is* there. Wierd date stamp on it tho - 31 June 1969...

There is also a "su" in the /system/bin/ folder. hmmmmm ..... I wonder ....

Can you send me the result of the commands (in adb shell):

ls -l /system/*/su
    echo $PATH

---------- Post added at 05:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:45 PM ----------

Having the exact same problem trying manually and with the tool...

Since SU is still installed but root was lost it cannot write the new SU... the old one is a protected system file you can not overwrite or delete....

Until we can find a way to delete(uninstall) previous version of SU no root for us :-(

Oh ok, I see what it is. Let me find a way to solve this quickly.

EDIT: The problem comes from OTA RootKeeper in my opinion, it does a "chattr +i /system/xbin/su" to prevent Asus OTA to overwrite or delete the file.
    Here is the trick to solve it, very simple, insert the command "rm su" before the write command, like this:

debugfs: cd xbin
    debugfs: rm su
    debugfs: write /data/local/su su
    debugfs: set_inode_field su mode 0104755
    debugfs: set_inode_field su uid 0
    debugfs: set_inode_field su gid 0
    debugfs: quit

Will update my OP.