From note 2 to s4 back to note 2...

Search This thread

P2o8wer

Sep 24, 2012
This morning at 10:30 I went and bought the s4, by 3:00 it was returned. I felt like I downgraded big time. The camera was nice, but it wasn't worth my upgrade. Plus the note 2 with beans' ROM is sick as hell.
Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium

grunt6

Apr 5, 2006
El Paso, TX
Got the S4 last Wednesday. By Thursday I was back to the Note. Returned the S4 yesterday. Can't beat the Note on Carbon!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: hopesrequiem

pool_shark

Dec 12, 2008
Macedonia, Ohio
This morning at 10:30 I went and bought the s4, by 3:00 it was returned. I felt like I downgraded big time. The camera was nice, but it wasn't worth my upgrade. Plus the note 2 with beans' ROM is sick as hell.

Got the S4 last Wednesday. By Thursday I was back to the Note. Returned the S4 yesterday. Can't beat the Note on Carbon!

Don't be surprised when your Note 2 doesn't turn on for a few days. It's just payback for being unfaithful.

JustusIV

Jan 11, 2008
I had considered the s4 switch... To me the camara is a big selling point as i have a little 1 year old that is my world.
What are the down sides? Sure a smaller screen... that would be the hardest to swallow i think but i am unsure of many other downers as i dont use the spen.

grunt6

Apr 5, 2006
El Paso, TX
I had considered the s4 switch... To me the camara is a big selling point as i have a little 1 year old that is my world.
What are the down sides? Sure a smaller screen... that would be the hardest to swallow i think but i am unsure of many other downers as i dont use the spen.

As the OP pointed out, it felt like a downgrade. The S4s screen is pretty nice but I found it ate through the battery pretty quick when it was on. The S4 dropped to 3g in places my Note would hold 4g. The S4 didn't seem as smooth as the Note with a rom on it. It just didn't feel worth the money.

nrfitchett4

Oct 12, 2009
San Antonio

A lot of reviews sad the camera was laggy. Noticeable delay before taking picture.
Not interested in the s4. Now maybe a note 3

P2o8wer

Sep 24, 2012

The screen wasnt that big of a differnce. There was a lot of lag everywhere, from the camera to making a call and all that smart stuff wasnt what i thought. There was a few flaws, but everybody feels different about things. U have 14 days to return it..just make sure u go to the corporate store,if not u have to pay an $80 restocking fee. I was pissed, but I got the phone for $177 after the rebate..

crash613

Mar 13, 2008
Keep in mind Beans just bought one....so expect a "beans" rom before too long...and I'm sure the forums woll ne flioded with great roms soon

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

geoff5093

Jun 13, 2011
I'm in a similar situation. I picked up the S4 Thursday, played with it for a day, and hated it. The camera was laggy (0.5-1 second shutter lag), the UI and apps themselves were laggy, it felt like I downgraded because of the smaller screen and the battery life was a lot worse. I went back to my Note 2 for the weekend and thought about returning the S4.

Then last night I decided to give the S4 another shot. I did a factory reset, installed my apps again (except I only installed what I REALLY used, which is about 60 apps), rooted, and froze/uninstalled a TON of apps and processes using Titanium Backup. After customizing it even more it's been much better in terms of performance and battery life. The screen is amazing on the S4, it's much brighter, whiter, no jagged edges on text (MBP > MBP Retina), easily viewable in sunlight, etc.

I thought back to when I first got my Note 2 and realized that the S4 is still brand new, when the Note 2 was new it was also laggy and full of bloatware. The S4 is only going to get better as OTA updates come out to fix these few minor issues, and once devs start to build solid ROM's it's going to be just as reliable as my Note 2 is on Beans 17.

I enjoy having a phone that I can actually fully use in one hand, fit in my pocket without being uncomfortable while sitting, and more importantly actually be able to fit it in cupholders!

Reactions: P2o8wer

BennyJr

Mar 29, 2010
Orlando FL
But the note 2 wasn't laggy even with Verizon bloat and a ton of apps. I used it for a while stock, non rooted and it was just ask fact as it is on a custom Rom. I really feel like the snapdragon CPU's are just inferior to exynos. Plus it never gets hot.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Don't be surprised when your Note 2 doesn't turn on for a few days. It's just payback for being unfaithful.
    What is with the retarded arguing over a subjective matter about which phone is better.
    Me too. My son chews the buttons off. The cable company is tried of sending me replacements lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

buy him a chew toy for ****s sake. ;)
    What is with the retarded arguing over a subjective matter about which phone is better.

My e penis is larger then yours. Hahaha

Hmmm, so the general consensus, in this thread anyway, is to go with the Note 2 over the S4. I am currently on the S3 but need to give it to my wife since she just shattered her Razr MAXX. So I am heading into Verizon to get either the Note 2 or S4. I've been lusting after the Note 2 for some time, but it was recommended to me by a well respected developer to go S4 over Note 2. Such hard decisions in life. I'm torn between a better camera and IR on the S4 with larger screen, better battery, and the S-Pen on the Note 2.

How is the development on this device? It looks to be much slimmer than on the S3, and the S4 is hot because of the novelty of a new device. I just want to make sure that this thing is going to give me at least a year!

I think most people will highly recommend the Note, especially in the Note forum. I'm quite sure the S4 forum would be full of people who ditched the Note and are in the love with their S4. I'll throw out my opinion on my Note and development and this is just my opinion btw...
    I found myself growing tired of the size of the Note 2. I don't like the huge rectangle in my pocket and I miss using a device easily in one hand.
    As for development, unless you are wholeheartedly devoted to one of the major roms, ie Beans, you may find yourself jumping between that and some other lower key roms, and then back to Beans. If you're like me you'll probably find yourself longing for AOSP roms but are just unable to use what we have currently daily. In my opinion, if you're a crack flasher and like trying out new things all the time, strongly consider passing on the Note.

Of course this is all just my take and I know people who are in love with their Note and say they'll use it for years to come.