XDA/Samsung

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

tkienzle

Feb 9, 2008
Right on John welcome lets get some work done f all the hate'ers they don't know swat...:D

Xstop

Nov 8, 2010
Turn around...
Right on John welcome lets get some work done f all the hate'ers they don't know swat...:D

And this is the most intelligent response yet...*sarcasm*

But anyways...
I am not saying he is not legit, nor he doesn't work for samsung. I'm just saying, I don't think he is as close to the development department as he would like you to believe. There would be a lot of red tape involved regarding the source and who's its shared to.

Then one question for John.
What is your projection, time frame, til we see concrete evidence that their is some sort of relation between XDA and Samsung regarding development?

Last edited:
Reactions: tkienzle

smokestack76

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 18, 2008
Clinton Indiana
Not sure how i missed this thread. But looks good to me. Legit as well. Maybe we do have a chance to get help now. And open some channels.
Post about admins. I understand why its here. As being a user like we all are who thinks of going through admins first? You want to say hello and hope to get a response. And then hope someone helps you out :)

mnjm9b

Apr 26, 2008
I am neck deep in some heavy development right now...

if there is any chance this will lead to the release of source code
or proprietary bits, this will make my struggles pointless.

so I will put on the breaks (only for a moment) to see where this leads.

ianwood

Feb 27, 2005
Lost Angeles
Social Media Analyst has nothing nor will it ever have anything to do with Development.

At most you only create statistics for those managing you, and give insight (Social Media aspect; facebook, twitter, or any social media website that it might pertain to). I think your giving false hope to those actually wanting to believe that you can really help with "the big picture here". That's probably why the negativity towards you.

Another obstacle we still have to go through is AT$T, which is still the middle man, per se, between Samsung and the customers. And I'm sure before you were hired that you had to sign some sort of confidentiality document, prohibiting giving vital information to the public. In turn, we get the, "Sorry, but I am not able to give out that information" phrase.

All true. It is possible that Samsung marketing has decided to reach out to the enthusiasts via John having worked with product management and software development to offer us a carrot. Probably just wishful thinking but let's give the guy a little time to prove himself to be more than just a marketing tool.

I am neck deep in some heavy development right now...

if there is any chance this will lead to the release of source code
or proprietary bits, this will make my struggles pointless.

so I will put on the breaks (only for a moment) to see where this leads.

I would hate to see any of the work here lose momentum off the back of unfulfilled promises. John, take note. If you want to stick to saying you can truly affect change, some people might believe you.

kegobeer

Apr 22, 2007
Panama City Beach
Social Media Analyst has nothing nor will it ever have anything to do with Development.

At most you only create statistics for those managing you, and give insight (Social Media aspect; facebook, twitter, or any social media website that it might pertain to). I think your giving false hope to those actually wanting to believe that you can really help with "the big picture here". That's probably why the negativity towards you.

Another obstacle we still have to go through is AT$T, which is still the middle man, per se, between Samsung and the customers. And I'm sure before you were hired that you had to sign some sort of confidentiality document, prohibiting giving vital information to the public. In turn, we get the, "Sorry, but I am not able to give out that information" phrase.

Now, if you just came in here to say, hello and just wanted to meet with some of the Devs, awsome! Welcome to the forum. But if you really think you will get any ball rolling regarding the development section, uh, not happening.

Sorry for being blatant about my post, (I don't sugar coat). But throwing a "title" at us does not impress me. Been there, done that.

I personally have more faith in what supercurio is doing:

I do not doubt you work for Samsung but with this:
Highly doubt the development side. What is your title on the development side? Can you provide us with more believable credentials?
But reading between the lines; I just smell spam for your conference in Austin.

I say it's good to be skeptical with these post and those pictures doesn't mean ****, for god sakes, we're on the internet.

Ex. Hi, I'm 5'8", 120lbs, green eyes, blond hair, and 36-24-34. Here is my 4 pictures attached. Wanna meet? LOL suckers

That's exactly why I asked him to provide a job description and explain exactly what he does. Unfortunately I don't expect any response to that question.

mnjm9b

Apr 26, 2008

TommyZee

Oct 9, 2010
FLORIDA
X-Xiles I Want To Believe

All things being as they are I’m looking forward to your next thread John, welcome aboard. :cool:

qwertyaas

Aug 17, 2010
Welcome to the boards! Hopefully we finally get some information and issues resolved with our phones. And maybe the source code for AT&T Captivate.

So... is that GPS fix still coming around that was promised in September or is Samsung finally in agreement that they borked the GPS aspect of this phone? ;)

mnjm9b

Apr 26, 2008
That's right *full* AOSP is not possible for kernel so far due to FSR/RFS drivers in kernel and in init binary.

Which is why it would be noble of them to open source these instead of making us franken-source drivers or create drivers from scratch....

not holding my breath though....

SamsungJohn

Official Samsung Rep
Feb 11, 2011
Dallas
Thank you!

I'm sure we all have seen Transformers right? Remember that scene in the movie where the Autobots are arriving to earth?(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kps_CkEEkUo) Quality kind of sucks. I compare that scene as Samsung arriving to XDA! I will not let you guys down. I will be back on Monday, in the mean time all top developers please pm. On Monday, I will post a new thread explaining further details. Also if your going to be in Austin for the convention let me know as well.

P.S. I have been reading all your postings in the threads.
Thanks
@SamsungJohn

boborone

I'm sure we all have seen Transformers right? Remember that scene in the movie where the Autobots are arriving to earth?(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kps_CkEEkUo) Quality kind of sucks. I compare that scene as Samsung arriving to XDA! I will not let you guys down. I will be back on Monday, in the mean time all top developers please pm. On Monday, I will post a new thread explaining further details. Also if your going to be in Austin for the convention let me know as well.

P.S. I have been reading all your postings in the threads.
Thanks
@SamsungJohn

Well thanks man, they have some good ideas in the epic forum, and supercurio's open source proposal is something that would benefit all. Remember that the dev's and bloggers are the first to endorse a company and their products. And trickle down to the masses. I imagine your family ask you what phone they should buy, and they do it for reason.

Reactions: AtoZ0to9

Dxtra

May 27, 2010
Well heres my input john. Straight forward 1. No lag. 2. No lag. 3. Completely working hardware, GPS, screen ect. 4. Support ( updates ). Looking forward for the Galaxy S II. Hopefully my experience with the captivate was just a last night nightmare . Big credit to the community on xda for making the Galaxy s useable.

Sent from my Galaxy s Captivate

stoobie-doo

May 2, 2008
Dallas
Welcome.

You have a community here that is passionate about these products and interested in finding ways to make these phones better to use. For me, I am a user who found this site, first when I was on Windows Mobile later on Android as a place to fix things that just didn't work right or get updates to products after the vendor had moved on.

What would be great would be to see a way Samsung would be willing to:
1. Explain some of the choices it has made - like preventing sideloading and installing from 3rd party markets, removing functionality clearly intended for the product (the Captivate user manual on the Samsung USA web site describes the Mobile AP functionality that was yanked on page 103), preventing removal of the AT&T apps, and what really is taking so long with the Froyo update (let alone whether we will ever see Gingerbread).
2. Find a way to enable at least some of the improvements/modifications developed or implemented by the cooks to be implemented without voiding a warranty.
3. Make available an AOSP or unbranded version of the Captivate ROM that supports the phone and then lets the devs add to it as they see fit.
4. Not use this as another hype channel like the SamsungMobileUS tweets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thread closed. Things will come to light soon enough
    Always glad to help! I want this to be real as much as everyone, maybe it's the thought that a device manufacturer doesn't want to be like Apple. Which amazes me.

Samsung is doing their best to steal as much from Apple as possible.

That's the problem.

From the CheeseWiz UI to the "**** you it's not broken" policy.
    Yes I am the real deal, I am a developer/social media analyst. I don't mind taking a picture of my badge or something to prove my credibility.

I think he's legit, folks.

If you are indeed an analyst for Samsung, welcome to XDA. I'm sure you've already noticed by now that there is a lot of cynicism both for Samsung and your claim of being an employee. Simple reason for this is that most everyone here feels that Samsung has ignored their pleas for help, didn’t deliver promised upgrades, and left millions of Galaxy S owners with buggy software/hardware, etc.

If your goal is to reach out to Samsung users at the grassroots level, you're in the right place. However, you also have a tough job ahead of you. The disenfranchisement runs deep and it will take a lot of effort to fix.

Here are some suggestions for you to escalate internally within Samsung:

1. Support the development efforts of the XDA developers. There are many talented people working quite hard to customize, fix and generally improve Samsung firmware. Samsung should make some effort to provide these developers with source code, tools, and help.
    2. Take an honest and upfront approach to product defects that find their way onto store shelves (e.g. GPS, battery, etc). I guarantee the cost of addressing the problem will be fully offset by the shift in customer loyalty. An unreliable product is perceived many times worse if the OEM denies or ignores the issues.
    3. Set a release schedule with carrier partners and stick to it. Apple has set the benchmark for frequent over the wire software updates. Android applications are updated with fixes and improvements on a regular basis. In stark contrast, our firmware lags far behind Google’s releases and FOTA is failing more than it’s working. This has to change. Samsung needs to push out regular firmware updates that are applied seamlessly without loss of data. Forget FOTA and do it like Apple does OTW (over the wire).
    4. Allow users the option of switching to AOSP. Some people like TouchWiz and some don’t. Give them the choice.

BTW, in addition to being an informed consumer, I work in the mobile industry. I know a fair amount about how it should work. The Samsung Galaxy product suite is performing very well but the real question is how long will it last. Loyalty takes effort to maintain and is easy to lose.

P.S. I may very well be at SXSW but I won’t know for sure until a week or so beforehand.
    Oh here's an idea... let's all be jerks .,.

Nevermind....I think that plan is in full swing already...
    That's why i am here, stay tuned, there will be another thread opened, I will have all the exclusive details inside.

Please dont let the haters get to you. just some bad blood from lack of contact with Samsung and faults and promises falling short.

I hope this is the beginning of something good because I believe that everyone can benefit from sharing between grass-roots devs and samsung. Just think of a rom developed in tandem between samsung and xda-devs, the great things in a short amount of time that could happen.

I am sure you have noticed 'supercurio' and his voodoo sound apps which make the audio allot better. from what i gather he has been working with someone in samsung to integrate his changes.

It will take commitment from samsung, a large commitment and support to get past older issues. But think of the amazing software we could develop together.

If you want someone to get some ideas from or bounce ideas off of please feel free to PM me.