Preinstalled screen protector?

Search This thread

technaudio

Jul 9, 2010
Is this
uploadfromtaptalk1332519732153.jpg
A preinstalled screen protector(you can just make it out around the earpiece hole)... I don't wanna start picking at the edges, just incase it's not! :-S

The one in the box
uploadfromtaptalk1332519813684.jpg
Is w bit different...

Sent from my LT26i using XDA

Reactions: tarek_elsayyad

church473

Apr 20, 2010
Leicester
Should that scratch easily? I have had the phone less than a day and all I did was pull it out of my pocket and I have a couple scratches now. They don't seem to be coming off. Don't know why but it although it looks like its a protector it doesn't feel like one. I wonder if anyone has actually removed it?

farvin

Apr 28, 2011
Should that scratch easily? I have had the phone less than a day and all I did was pull it out of my pocket and I have a couple scratches now. They don't seem to be coming off. Don't know why but it although it looks like its a protector it doesn't feel like one. I wonder if anyone has actually removed it?

I removed the pre installed protector on my x10 and Arc, I think it's the same thing. I just applied a new protetor directly on the glass.

3Shirts

Jan 18, 2009
Bedford
I found the pre-installed protector made the screen feel very 'sticky' to touch and also attracted dust, dog hair etc like a magnet! Much better without it

shmoejoe

Jan 9, 2011
Zuid-Holland

If your phone came from T-Mobile it should. Me and my partner have one pre-installed at least. You may need to look very closely :)

NightSky256

Mar 6, 2009
Milano
Bought an Xperia S in Italy yesterday, and yes, there is one screen protector in the box, one on the display glass and one (with printed demo graphics on it, so it have to be removed) on top of the one installed on the display...
Great !
I saw it just in time, my girfriend was already managing how to stick the protector found in the box :p

adam1000rr

Dec 20, 2010
Milano
Has anyone else noticed that the softkeys are not very responsive? If so does removing the screen protector help?
I'm starting to think that the screen protector is the cause..

kazuni

Aug 28, 2007
Hong Kong
double confirmed, my HK XPS also has a layer of screen protector on it already. removed with much better response from the home/menu/back buttons.

adam1000rr

Dec 20, 2010
Milano
In the end I decided to remove the screen protector, the softkeys work every time now!

I don't see why I should slide my finger up from the transparent strip when there are keys made to be pressed..

I might put on the other screen protector that was in the box, cutting the bottom part so it doesn't cover the softkeys ;)

necrohiero

Mar 24, 2012
Nordhausen
Mm.. How did you all remove it safely? I am honestly a little bit afraid... Where I should start to pick it off?

I never have to remove one by myself before...

adam1000rr

Dec 20, 2010
Milano
Start at any of the corners and use your nails, or the plastic bubble remover from the other screen protector, it takes a while as it's really stuck on well!

technaudio

Jul 9, 2010
I quite like the fact that the soft keys are a bit unresponsive, saves me accidentally hitting the home key when sliding up the notification panel!

Xploda

Apr 26, 2011
Antwerp
Screen protector

I sent an e-mail to the Sony helpdesk to ask whether this is a screen protector or not.

This is the answer i got from them:

"With regards to your enquiry, I inform you that the Xperia S has a preinstalled protective layer that should not be removed."

Reactions: technaudio

RiotRick

Sep 26, 2006
Netherlands
See here as well:

http://talk.sonymobile.com/message/175211

comment from xperia support staff:

The phone comes with a shatter proof sheet attached on scratch-resistant glass.

So, the screen protector that comes pre-attached is meant to keep the display from shattering if e.g. dropped. It also protects against other damages to a small extent. This sheet is however not scratch-resistant (the display is though).

You can remove this protection if you want to but I suggest you keep it on. If you remove it you should attach a new one to keep the display protected.

I should also point out that "scratch-resistant" is not the same as "scratch-proof". If you put all your body weight on a sharp object and swipe it over the screen, you will most likely get a scratch so you should still be careful.

I keep my phone in my front jeans pocket with nothing else but the phone in it. Keys, coins etc will damage the phone sooner or later.

Reactions: malih16

xerox89

Feb 11, 2011
Mean I should remove it and replace with another screen protector :p

Now i applied a screen protector on the other screen protector :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sigh,remember the pre-installed one is NOT a screen protector. You are supposed to put a screen protector on top of it. This is what Sony has to say about the confusion:

The scratch resistant screen is covered in a non-scratch resistant anti-shatter laminate sheet that will reduce the likelihood of the screen cracking or shattering. This is NOT the top layer intended as the laminate sheet is very easily scratched and attracts lots of dust and fingerprints. You are then supposed to put a screen protector over this laminate sheet which will do a much better job of resisting dirt, fingerprints and scratches than the laminate sheet. One is included in the Xperia packaging in unbranded models. The preinstalled laminate sheet is glued down. It can come off but it will leave a glue residue on the screen that is not easy to get off. The second layer screen protector included with unbranded models just bonds through natural static adhesion onto the laminate sheet rather than a glue.

The laminate sheet can not be replaced on its own after removal from the screen. The laminate sheet is bonded to the screen with heat as part of the production process in order to properly fuse to the glass and give it its anti-shatter properties. The laminate sheet is not sold on its own as a part and the only way to replace a damaged or removed laminate sheet is to replace the entire front screen glass panel assembly. As such Sony highly recommends you immediatly install the screen protector included with direct from Sony unbranded Xperia models or purchase a commercially available screen protector for carrier branded units.
    Sigh,remember the pre-installed one is NOT a screen protector. You are supposed to put a screen protector on top of it. This is what Sony has to say about the confusion:

The scratch resistant screen is covered in a non-scratch resistant anti-shatter laminate sheet that will reduce the likelihood of the screen cracking or shattering. This is NOT the top layer intended as the laminate sheet is very easily scratched and attracts lots of dust and fingerprints. You are then supposed to put a screen protector over this laminate sheet which will do a much better job of resisting dirt, fingerprints and scratches than the laminate sheet. One is included in the Xperia packaging in unbranded models. The preinstalled laminate sheet is glued down. It can come off but it will leave a glue residue on the screen that is not easy to get off. The second layer screen protector included with unbranded models just bonds through natural static adhesion onto the laminate sheet rather than a glue.

The laminate sheet can not be replaced on its own after removal from the screen. The laminate sheet is bonded to the screen with heat as part of the production process in order to properly fuse to the glass and give it its anti-shatter properties. The laminate sheet is not sold on its own as a part and the only way to replace a damaged or removed laminate sheet is to replace the entire front screen glass panel assembly. As such Sony highly recommends you immediatly install the screen protector included with direct from Sony unbranded Xperia models or purchase a commercially available screen protector for carrier branded units.

The factory installed piece is a shatter proof sheet, but it is not needed in my opinion. I have removed mine and compared it to the one supplied in the box and they are identical except the shatter proof shield is a tiny bit thicker.

Check this post out http://talk.sonymobile.com/message/194586

Secondly the shatter proof shield sucks for responsiveness. It is one of the main reasons the capacitive buttons aren't very responsive.

Also you can get replacement shatter proof sheets if you call Sony support

http://talk.sonymobile.com/message/197412

Basically I believe the shatter proof sheet to be worthless because even though it will protect the screen it gets scratched easily and reduces responsiveness.
    Who in the right mind would want to install another screen protector on top of it and make it even less responsive. If you want a screen protector remove the shatter proof sheet and put it on. If you drop the phone and it lands on a hard surface on the edges chances are the shatter proof sheet wouldn't have done a damn thing to help anyways. Also the shatter proof sheet creates a hard sharp edge near the translucent strip that annoys me quite a lot. It makes the phone feel cheaper like there is non flush edges due to shoddy construction.

Just my two-cents but I did research this.

I also created a thread listing the pros and cons of removing it.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=26526024#post26526024

Here's another thread listing about the shatter proof sheet.
    http://talk.sonymobile.com/message/175150

Shatterproof is a stretch because I have seen many Xperia S posts about how their screen has shattered. A little piece of laminate is not going to help. There is even a thread about a guy who had the screen facing outward in his pants and bumped into a table which shattered the screen. Another guy dropped his 2 feet onto concrete, it hit the edge and shattered the screen. So what is the Shatter Proof sheet even good for? Now you tell me if the Shatter-Proof sheet is really Shatter-Proof. I say marketing.

I have seen more shattered iPhones and HTC Evos than any other phones (I work at a university and see people struggling along using a shattered screen). Both are made out of Gorilla Glass which is another item claiming to be shatter proof.

If you replace your screen it comes glued to a new digitizer anyways, so what good is protecting the digitizer beyond being able to use your phone with a cracked screen. I've had old windows mobile screens crack and they didn't have a protector or gorilla glass and they still worked fine even with resistive tech which is more fragile than capacitive.
    Yes, they come with a screen protector preinstalled:) No need to take it of.
    Is this
    uploadfromtaptalk1332519732153.jpg
    A preinstalled screen protector(you can just make it out around the earpiece hole)... I don't wanna start picking at the edges, just incase it's not! :-S

The one in the box
    uploadfromtaptalk1332519813684.jpg
    Is w bit different...

Screen protector

I sent an e-mail to the Sony helpdesk to ask whether this is a screen protector or not.

This is the answer i got from them:

"With regards to your enquiry, I inform you that the Xperia S has a preinstalled protective layer that should not be removed."