VZW offered me a replacement for my Charge. Thoughts on which one I should consider?

Search This thread

xdadevnube

Jun 28, 2011
Rezound came today. It's fast! Will take some getting use to. All I've ever had was Samsung. Omnia, fascinate, and charge. Might root it so I can set all my apps back up.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Oops, I thanked that post on accident, hehe.
I have a Charge and a Rezound. I highly recommend spending the time to learn about the Rezound. We are spoiled on Samsung phones with Odin.
I did the htcdev unlock, S-Off wire trick, and flashed the latest RUU on the Rezound. Then I loaded up the latest CleanROM Developer Edition (ICS) which is pretty badass.
The Rezound had my head spinning trying to figure wtf I was doing. If you want, you can just htcdev unlock, root, and ROM. It turns out that with S-On, you cannot revert to old radios or firmware. With S-On, you cannot revert back to stock. S-Off is nice, but you can brick your phone much easier.
Anyways, the Rezound and Charge are my both my favorite Verizon phones. The compliment eachother, especially with the display. Charge display is nice and black and vibrant, the Rezound display is hella-high DPI, but with backlight bleed.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    They just released an S-OFF method for the Rezound, so the dev community should explode. Have fun! Wish I could join you.. :)

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
    Alright, dumb question, and because I've been burried with work, life, and bringing home one of them there newborns from the hospital, what's S-Off?

HTC devices have a flag that allows or disallows certain portions of the device to be written to. S-ON means that it's locked from writing, and S-OFF means that it's unlocked and can be written to. It's the equivalent of a locked vs. unlocked bootloader on a Moto device.
    I can't get them to offer me anything but another charge. I'm already on my 5th cln charge. What number or whom did you email to get the offer?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using xda premium

5th phone? That's rediculous. Here's and edited version of what I posted over at AC about how I got my 3G Fascinate changed to a Charge. Also, I'm at work, so my editing of my own words may seem a bit erratic. I'll apologize ahead of time.

I previously used:

•ivan.g.seidenberg@one.verizon.com
    •lowell.c.mcadam@one.verizon.com
    •thomas.j.tauke@one.verizon.com

in an executive email carpet bomb and got someone from the executive level customer service to contact me for my Fascinate replacement to give me a Charge. Note a couple of things in how to perform the email carpet bomb before you write your own, and be firm about what you want. I stated that I wanted a retail box, not certified like new, replacement and received it.

Basically, when you carpet bomb these folks, one of them has the issue assigned like a normal tech support ticket that requires someone to RESOLVE your issue. In the course of my resolution, they asked me to cough up $100 and a 2 year renewal to my contract. I said no. Then $50 and a 2 year renewal. Then $0 and a 2 year renewal. Again, I said no. I was not going to accept this as anything less than a warranty replacement with a better device.... and I won. In about an hour, she was shipping me a new Retail box Charge, and though she had to make the modifications that kept my account as not needing a 2 year renewal (which required me to make a call-back to fix the renewall/contract issue because that really was the only ).

So yes, you can get what you want as long as you are firm in your consumer advocacy beliefs, command and don't demand.

All of that said, I'm on my 4th or 5th Charge since September, and the first heated up so hot that you could fry an egg on it; then replaced by another Retail box Charge where the ear piece is went out. At least the next two phones were heat for one, and audio for both. There are even known issues that nobody is publishing, like the audio equalization/modulation and data connectivity staying enabled (which may be resolved per the last patch). I say this because if you can get them to acknowledge the Verizon documented issue with the Samsung device, you might gain yourself some more leverage. Also, if you note an accent in the person's voice, ask them where they're from. Catch them off guard.

Is that a NY accent I hear?
    Yes.
    Really? What part? I was born in Brooklyn.

yadda yadda ... talk about Sabrett hot dogs, Carvell Ice Cream, Knishes, etc.

"I detect a Southern accent." Same type of dialog as above, just make it match something from the South because they could care less about Sabrett hotdogs and Carvell ice cream, but no matter what, slow down. When you recognize that you're dealing with someone from the South, they don't like rushing through a conversation, and LOVE to chit chat/socialize before business. Talking about golf, whiskey, and the smell of cow pastures irritating you come to mind when I needed to just get the guy to sign a piece of paper so I could leave his office come to mind.

I've lived all over the US, and when you acclimate your speech and mannerisms to the person you're trying to mimic, you actually gain a semblence of control and can lead them if you do it right. I don't state or say this key information lightly. It can be the difference of getting another Certified Like New phone, or you getting them to give you their direct email address, phone number, ext, ect ect. More flies with honey and all that.

Note that nowhere in my documentation did it state that I had to install USB drivers on any Windows based PC or laptop before using the USB to charge my phone. Consider this MANDATORY!! Not all USB ports output the same voltage, and the drivers help to regulate this. This is why my first Charge overheated to the point of overheating. This bit of oversite seems to have gotten their attention. They may tell you that its not hard to see why you had USB issues by not installing drivers, but insist that they note that you do not use the PC USB ports to transfer data. You use them for charging your phone only.

Good luck to anyone that needs to beat on Verizon to do the right thing. If you need, I can even send you a copy of the bloviated email I sent to the executive team that got me these results. Just make sure that you PM me for it, as I can only rarely come back here and play in the XDA sandbox. Just brought home one of them there newborns from the hospital, and after taking two weeks off and then going back to work, my ADHOCDD is in overload.

SuD

PS If you want to learn about effective email carpet bombs, the Consumerist has greate info.

You may have to do a little bit of work, but my EECB's always get attention, and nearly always get exactly what I want. And "What you want" should be considered BEFORE you contact them. They'll ask you straight out... "What would satisfy you today?" Know that what is, don't expect the Stars when all you deserve is the moon.

In the past few weeks...

$33 refund from Sears, and they felt inclined to give me an additional $30 GC for the store.
    $30 GC for another store that understood why I didn't believe that I should have went to another one of their stores to fix an issue.
    I just wish that I could EECB about my Ex-Wife. I'd like a redux.
    Thanks Cujo, it's been a wild ride and you guys have been great help. If I didn't rely on my phone for business I'd just put up with it.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using xda premium
    Rezound came today. It's fast! Will take some getting use to. All I've ever had was Samsung. Omnia, fascinate, and charge. Might root it so I can set all my apps back up.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2