[NOTICE] ClockworkMod Recovery 3.0+ and update-script

Search This thread

Koush

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 21, 2007
Hi everyone, I understand Clockwork 3.0 has caused some issues with flashing zips and I wanted to make a post that explains why.

To give you back history, there are currently two ways to create "update.zip" scripts. The first one is "update-script", also known as Amend. It was the first version of the scripting language created by Google, and was used in Android 1.0 and Cupcake (1.5). However, Amend has two serious design flaws:
Function arguments can not span more than 1 word.
The scripting language is compiled into the recovery causing image bloat and inflexibility.

Because of this reason Google REMOVED Amend support in Donut and beyond, and instead switched to update-binary and updater-script, which is also known as Edify.

However, Amon Ra and I kept Amend support in, to help ease the transition off its usage in ROM creation. CyanogenMod itself has already switched to Edify 9 months ago.

With the recent Gingerbread source code drop and the upcoming CM7 release, I needed to merge the latest changes from Google's Gingerbread recovery into ClockworkMod recovery. This meant finally removing Amend support, and switching fully to Edify. If you flash ClockworkMod 3.0 or higher, it will no longer install Amend (update-script) zips. Version 3.0.0.4 will show you the following message:

Amend scripting (update-script) is no longer supported.
Amend scripting was deprecated by Google in Android 1.5.
It was necessary to remove it when upgrading to the ClockworkMod 3.0 Gingerbread based recovery.
Please switch to Edify scripting (updater-script and update-binary) to create working update zip packages.

Please switch to using Edify, as it will be a requirement for CM7 Gingerbread based ROMs. I gave notice about this a month ago on Twitter.

If you must absolutely flash an older Amend zip, you can always flash an older recovery or AmonRa or the like and do it manually.

UPDATE:
Here's a 2.6 version (supports both script versions) and backs up wimax:
http://koush.tandtgaming.com/recover...supersonic.img
PLEASE TEST THIS FOR ME!
Please note, that once CM7 is released, Clockwork 3.0 WILL BE A REQUIREMENT.

Last edited:

wy1d

Jul 17, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Thank you very much for posting this as I have been wondering why clockwork 3 would fail to flash anything. It looks like most devs are still using the old Amend because I have had to keep flashing back to Amon Ra to get any roms or kernels distributed on these forums to flash.

As of 3.0.0.2 it seems like wiping dalvik still has odd behavior. Is this finally remedied in 3.0.0.4?

Rydah

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 4, 2008
Southern California
So I'm not much of a dev.. is their a guide on how to convert amend to edify?

Sent From My HTC Evo 4G On The Now Network From Sprint Using Tapatalk Pro!

Koush

Sep 21, 2007
Thank you very much for posting this as I have been wondering why clockwork 3 would fail to flash anything. It looks like most devs are still using the old Amend because I have had to keep flashing back to Amon Ra to get any roms or kernels distributed on these forums to flash.

As of 3.0.0.2 it seems like wiping dalvik still has odd behavior. Is this finally remedied in 3.0.0.4?

Can you explain what is failing with wiping dalvik-cache. Which ROM? Where is dalvik-cache located?

thank you

I am very glad to here this. I have always had problems with clockworkmod. It have never wipe correctly. And since 3.0.0.2,, sure it has a new look and all, but looks mean nothing if it is not stable or fully functional. I have gotten error wiping dalvik, and now flashing. Thankful for a stable and fully functional AMON-RA recovery for my evo. I was beginning to think that the maker of this did not care. I see that I was wrong.

Rydah

Oct 4, 2008
Southern California
Have you tried 3.0.0.4? I had the same issues, but now only need to update my zips.

sicilykill

Oct 11, 2009
Thanks. I took a look at this and...oh my. I don't understand it. Lol

I might be wrong but I do not think it requires YOU to do anything. The update script is something that is used when the zip file is created. They will need to start using the new language. From your part there is nothing you have to do unless you create flashable zips yourself.

d.ocon86

Sep 8, 2010
same here nim lost

i can not install any kind of custom rom on my phone i am rooted i dont know what to do anymore

fronz

Sep 10, 2006
Can a script updater be made for older zips

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

sicilykill

Oct 11, 2009
Can a script updater be made for older zips

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

The problem is that the new recovery will not support that language. So if you want to use a ROM that uses the old language make sure to flash the rom (zip) using an older recovery and not the new one.

GIGZ1971

Apr 9, 2009
CLEVELAND
www.gigabyteinc.com
ClockWorkMod App

I have a question; I just bought the clockworkmod app off of the app market, according to your statements at the beginning of this thread I have to wait, to use the functions of your app, until DEV's start using the new script language or I have to use the Amon-RA recovery. Which until new zips are coming out makes your app almost useless to me.:confused:

Koush

Sep 21, 2007
I have a question; I just bought the clockworkmod app off of the app market, according to your statements at the beginning of this thread I have to wait, to use the functions of your app, until DEV's start using the new script language or I have to use the Amon-RA recovery. Which until new zips are coming out makes your app almost useless to me.:confused:

You can always flash back to an older version of ClockworkMod from within the app.

Rydah

Oct 4, 2008
Southern California

That's temporary. This is new and should be worked out soon. I can say, they have been working quite fast on this. I understand where your coming from though. Hang in there!

Rydah

Oct 4, 2008
Southern California
The problem is that the new recovery will not support that language. So if you want to use a ROM that uses the old language make sure to flash the rom (zip) using an older recovery and not the new one.

That doesn't answer the question.(not trying to be an ass)what he and a lot of people probably want is an easy few click method (really anything easy) to change our old zips to work with the new clockworkmod recovery. Ie change our amend zips into edify zips.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone, I understand Clockwork 3.0 has caused some issues with flashing zips and I wanted to make a post that explains why.

To give you back history, there are currently two ways to create "update.zip" scripts. The first one is "update-script", also known as Amend. It was the first version of the scripting language created by Google, and was used in Android 1.0 and Cupcake (1.5). However, Amend has two serious design flaws:
    Function arguments can not span more than 1 word.
    The scripting language is compiled into the recovery causing image bloat and inflexibility.

Because of this reason Google REMOVED Amend support in Donut and beyond, and instead switched to update-binary and updater-script, which is also known as Edify.

However, Amon Ra and I kept Amend support in, to help ease the transition off its usage in ROM creation. CyanogenMod itself has already switched to Edify 9 months ago.

With the recent Gingerbread source code drop and the upcoming CM7 release, I needed to merge the latest changes from Google's Gingerbread recovery into ClockworkMod recovery. This meant finally removing Amend support, and switching fully to Edify. If you flash ClockworkMod 3.0 or higher, it will no longer install Amend (update-script) zips. Version 3.0.0.4 will show you the following message:

Amend scripting (update-script) is no longer supported.
    Amend scripting was deprecated by Google in Android 1.5.
    It was necessary to remove it when upgrading to the ClockworkMod 3.0 Gingerbread based recovery.
    Please switch to Edify scripting (updater-script and update-binary) to create working update zip packages.

Please switch to using Edify, as it will be a requirement for CM7 Gingerbread based ROMs. I gave notice about this a month ago on Twitter.

If you must absolutely flash an older Amend zip, you can always flash an older recovery or AmonRa or the like and do it manually.

UPDATE:
    Here's a 2.6 version (supports both script versions) and backs up wimax:
    http://koush.tandtgaming.com/recover...supersonic.img
    PLEASE TEST THIS FOR ME!
    Please note, that once CM7 is released, Clockwork 3.0 WILL BE A REQUIREMENT.
    But it only gives me the option to 2. 5 not 2. 6

I keep this on my SD card just in case.

Thanks. I took a look at this and...oh my. I don't understand it. Lol

What about the issue with clockwork deleting the 4g keys?

That was caused by a kernel/hboot mismatch that occurred when the new hboot was released, and has been fixed in 3.0. Clockwork also now backs up Wimax keys.
    Cwm 2.6.0.1 is easily the best version of cwm to use. It's the only version of cwm that supports both scripts. You will need to wipe your cache and dalvik 3 times with cwm to get it all. Amonra 2.3 takes care of it all the first time, every time.

ropodope

Sent from my Vaelpak GB AOSP Preview Edition v0.2 for Evo 4g. Flash and ye shall receive.

Seriously.????

Look, I'm Definitely not a CWM fan, not at all...in fact, this has nothing to do with recoveries at all.

This has to do with the basic computer model, and how a computer works.

The simplest way to say it is simply:

A Computer will do EXACTLY what you tell it to do.

(That's It: nothing more, nothing less.)

When you tell your 'computer' to 'wipe dalvik cache', it essentially runs a script with an EXACT function. If it wipes it the first time, then it's WIPED. It was SUCCESSFUL. If it worked the first time, then running it again would be silly. YOU WOULD BASICALLY BE ASKING A COMPUTER TO RUN A SPECIFIC INSTRUCTION SET AND EXPECTING A DIFFERENT RESULT.

On that note, if it DOESN'T wipe the first time, then the script FAILED as an instruction set for the 'computer'. IT'D BE POINTLESS, BY THE DEFINITION OF WHAT YOU'RE DOING, TO RUN IT MORE THAN ONCE. It's NOT going to try anything differently the second, third, or BILLIONTH time you tell it to 'wipe dalvik cache'.

Try to remember this anytime you see instructions to wipe anything in recovery more than once. It's just overkill, and it's essentially just wasting your time.

Yes, this drives me crazy.