Archos 101 one-click-root for firmware 2.0.71 using Archangel

Search This thread

boywonder_x

Nov 2, 2010
Hi guys, I've just tested this on my archos 101 and it does seem to work. Pretty good timing as I was seriously considering swapping it for the advent vega. I've installed as instructed, installed titanium backup and it seems to be working fine for freezing apps (archos widget etc), though uninstalling some of the crap that comes with it (news and weather, system monitor) works, but after a reboot it's back again - I assume this is due to the read only nature of the android partition (just guessing here!). I'm going to try root explorer shortly and see what effect deleting things has - if it works at all.

There doesn't seem to be any malicious effects so far, although I doubt I'd notice so early on anyway ;)

I've taken a screenshot with my x10 as taking a system screenshot wouldn't really prove anything.

s4.photobucket.com/albums/y103/knightblade_1/?action=view&current=archosroot.jpg

boywonder_x

Nov 2, 2010
Tested Root explorer and it works, though after deleting one of the built in apps it just appears back in the system/app directory.

Inciner8Fire

Aug 13, 2008
Green Bay
Screenshots

So xdaAlan your first post and you claim it works and what proof you can give us? screenshots maybe.....

wdl1908 I've got to have my first post sometime. I know that some screen shots have been posted since by jsperri, but I do not want someone to think I was lying. I have attached a photo of the installed app on my Archos 101 and several screen shots showing the firmware and the Superuser prompt.

I would have posted the screen shots earlier, but I was at work. I had run the root tool on my lunch break.

Attachments

• fb-20110125-171143.jpg
    fb-20110125-171143.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 367
  • fb-20110125-171241.jpg
    fb-20110125-171241.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 295
  • fb-20110125-171250.jpg
    fb-20110125-171250.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 304
  • fb-20110125-171307.jpg
    fb-20110125-171307.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_20110125_171548.jpg
    IMG_20110125_171548.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 367

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007
Still a bit weary to try this. This member looks to be new here as well as on Modaco forums.

Reditus2

Dec 2, 2008
Colchester
reditusdrago.co.uk
just tried it on my archos with standard firmware and I managed to overclock to 1Ghz and changed the LCD density successfully on temporary root. I did try the permanent root but when I reset I lost root :(

EDIT: PERMANENT ROOT AND TEMPORARY ROOT DOES WORK, I messed up, just root the device and then click the permanent root option and just exit the application, when you reboot it should still be rooted :)

Last edited:

Inciner8Fire

Aug 13, 2008
Green Bay
I noticed when I checked the Permanent Root it didn't seem to stick until I clicked the "You've got root!" button again.

It does seem to work for me after a reboot.

Inciner8Fire

Aug 13, 2008
Green Bay
So far I haven't found anything malicious with this. I have run netstat several times and there don't appear to be any weird addresses there. I also didn't see any processes that jump out as being wrong.

Another interesting thing I noticed was that under Network/SMB Archangel was listed.

So far I haven't found anything malicious with this. I have run netstat several times and there don't appear to be any weird addresses there. I also didn't see any processes that jump out as being wrong.

Another interesting thing I noticed was that under Network/SMB Archangel was listed.

That's very scary. What do you see if you click on it? I would be a little concerned what they are sending there, or perhaps this is part of the exploit to download something.

Inciner8Fire

Aug 13, 2008
Green Bay
That's very scary. What do you see if you click on it? I would be a little concerned what they are sending there, or perhaps this is part of the exploit to download something.

When I clicked on it it asked for a username and password, but has since disappeared.

I don't think they are sending anything, but I could be wrong. I did use APK Manager to rip apart and decompile the APK before installing. When I looked through all the resulting .smali files nothing seemed to be obviously malicious. I wonder if they found a bug in the SMB which allows this exploit, it might explain why WiFi needs to be on to gain root.

It sure would be nice if the developer would give us some additional information.

wdl1908

Dec 18, 2010
wdl1908 I've got to have my first post sometime. I know that some screen shots have been posted since by jsperri, but I do not want someone to think I was lying. I have attached a photo of the installed app on my Archos 101 and several screen shots showing the firmware and the Superuser prompt.

I would have posted the screen shots earlier, but I was at work. I had run the root tool on my lunch break.

Sorry I'm a little paranoid to install something that is posted by someone that has no history on the forum.

toutiwai

Jan 11, 2011
hi again...

i must say that I have problem with my google account now...
it seems someone conected from elsewhere with my password :(

not sure, but it's strange!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Download rar file with apk:

dump.ru/file/5037798
    or
    depositfiles.com/files/7sh8g638s

rar password: cea69e0419

sha1sum of apk: 80ff2925e12b8d3f2e9c0cabd5b294e6556b2e3f

Archangel one-click-root from the Archaism Team

This will give you temporary or permanent root on your Archos 101 - firmware 2.0.71

Archos are kind enough to provide a SDE firmware which can allow root access,
    but involves some significant changes to the system and they say that they will
    invalidate your warranty if you install it. This is a bit frightening for new owners.

Archangel solves this with a painless one-click-root which you can uninstall at any time.
    It does not use the SDE developer firmware.

This was specifically designed for the Archos 101 with firmware 2.0.71 - it may work on
    other Archos devices or firmwares, but has not been tested and is not recommended for them.

If you find this application useful, please donate to those great forums who have given
    the android root community so much. Encourage them to keep up their great work. We are
    fans of C-Skills Blog, XDA Developers and Modaco Forum.

When installed, this app will use approx 10mb of storage space. Don't run it if you don't
    have that much spare.

Usage Instructions:

1) Make sure you have 10mb of space available on the internal storage
    2) Make sure you are connected on Wifi
    3) Run the Archangel app
    4) Click to install SuperUser application
    5) Click to get root!
    6) Check everything is working correctly, try an app which needs root
    7) Once you have root you can tick the "Permanent" root option to always have root.
    8) Party Hard!

To turn off root, either just reboot, or turn off permanent root and reboot if you had
    enabled it.

To uninstall, just uninstall like any other app. You may also want to use the menu item
    to clean up before you uninstall.

You can create a script in /sdcard/sdcard/extraroot.sh and this will be executed as root
    whenver you reboot, so you can use this to do any additional root functions you want.

Enjoy!
    Ok People I give up.

There are a lot of people who tried to analyze the exploit to see if it's safe.

Then you get people who start discussing network infrastructure and think they know how a network works.

Then there is one that thinks a wifi connection is the same as a connection to the internet.

I tried to explain these things and in general tried to help out. BUT nobody seems to appreciate the help so I give up.

I you want to use it. Use it.
    If you don't want to use it then don't use it.

I don't care anymore.
    dump.ru/file/5041494
    or
    depositfiles.com/files/247x6gbwp

rar password: b223844a132

sha1sum of apk: 6a6cb89aa093a1d4671f5142fe156bcfc6535db4

Achaism Team bring you a quick update of Archangel, we added some extra info
    about working devices and firmwares which have been reported.

We also added some more options for the extraroot feature (see readme.txt)
    for advanced users.

This version has a few tweaks which may make it take a bit longer but should
    make it a little more reliable.

It also patches the vulnerability which it exploits and seals the system after.
    You'll probably be happy to hear that this method still works (well, at least for me) on 2.1.2 ;)
    Tested on Archos 70 IT.

I hope this eventually works with 2.1.02. They finally put in wifi n connectivity with the newest firmware, and I would love to have root on that firmware
    There is not much time for Q&A but here are some answers for some questions:

Someone said that they couldn't use archangel to block ads... Here is an example extraroot.sh script to do that:

make an extraroot.sh in linux text format (not dos/windows) like so:

--- cut here ---
    cat <<EOF >/tmp/hosts
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    127.0.0.1 pagead2.googlesyndication.com pagead.l.google.com googleads.g.doubleclick.net
    127.0.0.1 api.admob.com mm.admob.com r.admob.com mob.adwhirl.com cus.adwhirl.com met.adwhirl.com
    EOF
    mount --bind /tmp/hosts /etc/hosts
    --- cut here ---

There are many good mods which can safely be done in ways like this above. Nice forum people can post their recipes maybe?

Someone else asked about when they reboot their device and there is no wireless and they need root:

In this case perhaps use the deep sleep option instead of power off, if it is a huge problem for you to do this there are other more serious rooting methods like the SDE methods good people have worked on.

Someone else asked about the new patch/seal in archangel version 2:

This only applies until after reboot as archangel makes no changes which can not be reversed for the safety of your archos

A question from archaism:

Does this still work with firmware 2.1.03 ? Can anyone answer this? don't risk yourself to find the answer, but it would be nice to know.

There may be more updates in the future but do not get unhappy if there are not or questions remain not answered