Nexus 5 randomly turns on

Search This thread
Jun 12, 2012
I haven't been able to find this problem documented anywhere so I thought I'd ask.

It seems that my Nexus 5 has suddenly began turning on when being held at a certain angle. I believe that the proximity sensor has something to do with it. It started to happen after I was on the phone for a couple of hours. I've tried restarting, and switching from Art to Dalvik.

Is anyone else familiar with this problem or a solution? It's driving me nuts!

Thanks

GUGUITOMTG4

Oct 26, 2011
GuGuPlace
I haven't been able to find this problem documented anywhere so I thought I'd ask.

It seems that my Nexus 5 has suddenly began turning on when being held at a certain angle. I believe that the proximity sensor has something to do with it. It started to happen after I was on the phone for a couple of hours. I've tried restarting, and switching from Art to Dalvik.

Is anyone else familiar with this problem or a solution? It's driving me nuts!

Thanks

Are you using a case? it might be pressing the power button.

Jun 12, 2012
I have using a case, but there is an oversized cutout around the power button. I am almost certain that this is related to a bug with the proximity sensor.

WarRaven

May 13, 2007
Mine, when using stock kernel would sometimes turn on by itself after pulling it from my shirt pocket..
Hasn't happened since I stopped using stock kernel.

Doesn't seem too common another poster, think whozilla saw this behavior as well.

No biggie.just odd.

WR

Sent from my Nexus 5

GUGUITOMTG4

Oct 26, 2011
GuGuPlace
No, it won't turn on if the phone if OFF. I'm referring to it "waking up". It will wake up simply by holding the phone at a certain angle and distance away from the body.

Are you using a custom Rom/kernel? if so, try installing a new Rom
If that happens to be a hardware problem, It could be more related to the power button than the P.sensor
Most common issues related to the sensor is that screen stays off. Eventually, a screen protector can produce that, but not in your case.
The proximity sensor won't notice the angle you tilt the phone at (compass sensor does). It needs to detect something in front of it closer than +-1 inch to act up and should
turn off the screen when in a phone call. There's no much reason to turn on screen because it is not its function and much less if not phone call is happening.
Maybe the USB port is dirty and thinks you plugged a charger
or power ribbon/connector is loose inside, if any.

Last edited: