[Q] What is the biggest mess I can make with my phone? And how to prevent it.

Search This thread

shahverdy

Jan 25, 2014
Hey Everyone
I have an HTC Sensation, HBOOT 1.27.0000 with 3.32 ICS Firmware, sim unlocked. I have decided to upgrade it to Kitkat, I'm noobe, So I'm just searching to gather information by now. I think I must install CyanogenMod 11.
I think the progress should be:
  1. Unlock bootloader (using fastboot)
  2. Get root access
  3. S-OFF (Using Juopunutbear S-OFF for HBOOT 1.27.0000)
  4. Wipe data, cache, and dalvik cache (I don't have enough information about this step, that what will happen after this step)
  5. Flashing Rom (Which will be CyanogenMod 11)
  6. Flashing GAPPS (which will be an extra step, but I will do it)

I need to know that what are the possible risks, and how can I prevent them. will I loose SIM unlock? (Here in XDA, many people said no, but a few people mentioned that it can be possible. So which one is true?) How can I backup SIM unlock? How can I backup current Rom on my phone and be able to restore that backup.

Any kind of help will be appreciated :)

Mile_zdr

Sep 19, 2013
Bitola
Hey Everyone
I have an HTC Sensation, HBOOT 1.27.0000 with 3.32 ICS Firmware, sim unlocked. I have decided to upgrade it to Kitkat, I'm noobe, So I'm just searching to gather information by now. I think I must install CyanogenMod 11.
  2. Get root access
  4. Wipe data, cache, and dalvik cache (I don't have enough information about this step, that what will happen after this step)

I need to know that what are the possible risks, and how can I prevent them. will I loose SIM unlock? (Here in XDA, many people said no, but a few people mentioned that it can be possible. So which one is true?) How can I backup SIM unlock? How can I backup current Rom on my phone and be able to restore that backup.

After s-off you need to flash custom recovery and do backup form your stock rom

sent from HTC Sensation 4G

Reactions: shahverdy

stillsober

Nov 18, 2013
make sure you don't have HTC sync or something like that on your pc when trying to s-off, best to not even have HTC driver at all - use "universal android driver".
It's how I ruined my sd card. Also, make sure you back up ALL your sdcard content because you can lose it during s-off (I did). If you get past s-off without a hitch, then everything else will be easy. Do note that 4.4 ROMS are still buggy relative to the older ones

shahverdy

Jan 25, 2014
make sure you don't have HTC sync or something like that on your pc when trying to s-off, best to not even have HTC driver at all - use "universal android driver".
It's how I ruined my sd card. Also, make sure you back up ALL your sdcard content because you can lose it during s-off (I did). If you get past s-off without a hitch, then everything else will be easy. Do note that 4.4 ROMS are still buggy relative to the older ones

What about SIM unlock, how can I back it up? Currently I've made a backup of my ROM with "clockworkmod" using and app named "Rom Manager".

stillsober

Nov 18, 2013
I don't know what sim unlock is sorry. If it's a physical unlock, then s-off or a ROM change won't change it. If it's something within your ROM like an app then changing your ROM will remove it, you have to get it again, but as I said I don't know what a sim unlock is (google something like "sim unlock, rom" - if its not removed when you change roms then it won't be removed in this scenario)

You should use 4ext recovery or twrp recovery instead of clockworkmod, they both can do more and go wrong less often.
Once in 4ext recovery, do a backup (this is called a nandroid backup),
copy that backup from your sd card and whatever else to somewhere else safe (you can lose the data in your card during s-off) as long as you have that nandroid you can always return your phone to the state it's in when the backup took place.

stillsober

Nov 18, 2013
Thank you.
So, If I mess everything and my phone isn't booting/loading, then I can always go into recovery mode using "fastboot"?

Well, i lost my recovery when i tried to s-off this last sensation. BUT as long as you can get into fastboot/hboot (the white screen when you press power+volume down) you can flash recovery.img from your computer there, so you will always be able to get into recovery

Even if you can't get to fastboot using power+volume down for whatever reason, you may still be able to get to fastboot if you can get adb or fastboot command(s) respond from command prompt (this is what happened to me, can't get to fastboot using volume+power, but can send adb commands from computer)

you should be ok, just make sure ASK IF YOU'RE UNSURE, DON'T JUST ASSUME THINGS THAT YOU'RE REALLY NOT SURE OF, ESPECIALLY REGARDING S-OFF METHOD/SDCARD, it's how I bricked my sdcard(well lost data)

shahverdy

Jan 25, 2014
I don't know what sim unlock is sorry. If it's a physical unlock, then s-off or a ROM change won't change it. If it's something within your ROM like an app then changing your ROM will remove it, you have to get it again, but as I said I don't know what a sim unlock is (google something like "sim unlock, rom" - if its not removed when you change roms then it won't be removed in this scenario)

You should use 4ext recovery or twrp recovery instead of clockworkmod, they both can do more and go wrong less often.
Once in 4ext recovery, do a backup (this is called a nandroid backup),
copy that backup from your sd card and whatever else to somewhere else safe (you can lose the data in your card during s-off) as long as you have that nandroid you can always return your phone to the state it's in when the backup took place.

Well, i lost my recovery when i tried to s-off this last sensation. BUT as long as you can get into fastboot/hboot (the white screen when you press power+volume down) you can flash recovery.img from your computer there, so you will always be able to get into recovery

Even if you can't get to fastboot using power+volume down for whatever reason, you may still be able to get to fastboot if you can get adb or fastboot command(s) respond from command prompt (this is what happened to me, can't get to fastboot using volume+power, but can send adb commands from computer)

you should be ok, just make sure ASK IF YOU'RE UNSURE, DON'T JUST ASSUME THINGS THAT YOU'RE REALLY NOT SURE OF, ESPECIALLY REGARDING S-OFF METHOD/SDCARD, it's how I bricked my sdcard(well lost data)

Thanks.
So, I think my biggest concern must be loosing SIM Unlock. SIM unlock process is not supported in my country :( because we can not pay, so I can't have the unlock code.

Last edited:

rasor99

Nov 8, 2012
S-Off not necessary to flash CM 11

Getting S-Off is not really required if you're just looking at flashing ROM's. I've been using my phone with S-On since more than a year and no problem in flashing any ROM yet. You just need to flash 4ext recovery and enable smart flash. Just follow this awesome guide
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1631861
And you may go for S-Off after you get to know more about your phone...

heavy_metal_man

Nov 6, 2011
Just my input here but you cannot lose sim unlock pal :) it's a hardware lock that once removed cannot be undone :)

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk

Milton515

Mar 31, 2010
Fort Vally
From my experience, once you SIM unlock you won't lose it after you s-off, root, and flash... But as everybody has said, make sure you backup just in case you need to go back or do something wrong

Sent from my HTCSensation using xda app-developers app

shahverdy

Jan 25, 2014
Thanks everyone. Finally, with your helps, I flashed Cyanogenmod 11 on my HTC Sensation, and all the progress went well, without loosing anything important! But, After a few hours of testing, I found some problems, that made me go back to official Rom. I think I'd better write a review about it for other people too.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey Everyone
    2. Get root access

After s-off you need to flash custom recovery and do backup form your stock rom

sent from HTC Sensation 4G
    Thank you.
    So, If I mess everything and my phone isn't booting/loading, then I can always go into recovery mode using "fastboot"?

yes you can
    Thank you.

Thanks.
    So, I think my biggest concern must be loosing SIM Unlock. SIM unlock process is not supported in my country :( because we can not pay, so I can't have the unlock code.

If you do s-off you can try with this.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1232107