Galaxy Note colour rendering issue: started working on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

supercurio

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
May 31, 2010
Chambéry
spectrastudy.com
Hi dear Galaxy Note owners.

As many of you I'm not quite satisfied by Galaxy Note screen.
Most of the feedback reveal sub-par results, despite we all know the potential here is huge (to say the least).

References:
- [Q] Galaxy Note Screen Issues!!!
- [Q] Video on Note

Worst offender being shadows rendering: my diagnostic: what's supposed to be dark is not so dark.. and then boom its black (ie black clipping)
As a result color look dull, some UI elements show not quite as they're supposed to, and videos exhibit awful banding, blocking and ringing artifacts.

That's why I can announce here I started working on Galaxy Note screen color.

Don't expect immediate results as it's a complex topic and I'm working on other projects where users expect updates (like Voodoo LOUDER), but I wanted to give keep you updated.

Last edited:

EarlZ

Jun 21, 2010

Most of the feedback reveal sub-par results, despite we all know the potential here is huge (to say the least).

References:
- [Q] Video on Note

Worst offender being shadows rendering: my diagnostic: what's supposed to be dark is not so dark.. and then boom its black (ie black clipping)
As a result color look dull, some UI elements show not quite as they're supposed to, and videos exhibit awful banding, blocking and ringing artifacts.

Don't expect immediate results as it's a complex topic and I'm working on other projects where users expect updates (like Voodoo LOUDER), but I wanted to give keep you updated.

Great news!

People say that I was nitpicking about the black levels and rendering issues on the G-Note.. Only show that their expectation is below average :)

Cant wait for your updates!

Lets see how the fanboys react to the words highlighted, calling all the majority vs minority defenders :p

supercurio

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
May 31, 2010
Chambéry
spectrastudy.com
Great news!

People say that I was nitpicking about the black levels and rendering issues on the G-Note.. Only show that their expectation is below average :)

Cant wait for your updates!

Oh sure.
Also, people disagreement is expected as one screen can vastly differ from another.
Its a source of endless fights in forums but also make fix/improvement attempts a lot more difficult.

EarlZ

Jun 21, 2010
Oh sure.
Also, people disagreement is expected as one screen can vastly differ from another.
Its a source of endless fights in forums but also make fix/improvement attempts a lot more difficult.

Exactly, the sad part is that they are just very dismissive about the issue and outright rude just because they got a 'perfect' screen or their standards are low.

Im getting my screen replaced this sunday because the lines are getting more visible and the greenish tint at the bottom is starting to creep upto half of the screen.

Ziplomatic

Nov 12, 2011

References:
- [Q] Video on Note

Next step:
Measurements with a colorimeter, at several brightness levels.

And after that.. there will be fixes and solutions.
− be patient.

THANK YOU!!!

Reactions: brodiniozo

Reb0rn

Sep 19, 2007
Ulricehamn
Nice to see that the Note is getting more and more cred.

Here in sweden, one of the major cell networks had massive pressure for this device and couldnt deliver enough phones for the ppl that wanted it. Their struggling to get more...

Feels like the interest for a size between 4,1" and 7" is massive!

Thanks Supercurio for your dedication and work!

tovarish

Nov 13, 2006
I already use your voodoo screen tuning app on my galaxy tab and s2. I was hoping to use it on my note.

Lordrdx666

Nov 24, 2010
Www.myspace.com
Thanks a lot sir!
This is simply great....
Any chances for showing some love for audio? I know it is just wishful thinking... But still... :)

Tapashocked :) via my gt-I9003 with a random keyboard of my choice ! :D

DaveC1964

Nov 16, 2011

Well I would be careful to not crush the darks too much. You then lose detail in shadows in dark photos. On the Infuse they do this and shadow detail is completely lost, even though they ramp smoother. This is wrong too.

It definetly does black clipping, I noticed it in that pic I made, after 4 it just goes black. It should obviously ramp smoothly to the last color which is black 0,0,0. This shows up in videos as colors are gone after a certain amount making compression artifacts really stand out instread of blending.

I don't know what the hell Samsung was thinking.

Good to see you are looking at it though, thanks.

psionic11

Nov 23, 2011
Thanks, Supercurio, for your attention on these details!

One suggestion: incorporate some sort of "screen filter" into your app, so that Note owners can enjoy much greater brightness adjustments all from one Supercurio app!

Right now the screen is too bright to read at night...

Reactions: Cedup
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

References:
    - [Q] Video on Note

And after that.. there will be fixes and solutions.
    − be patient.
    Next step:
    Measurements with a colorimeter, at several brightness levels.
    Just to inform you I developed the technology I needed as driver while working on Voodoo Sound.

It means I'm one step closer for the new gen application.
    I reworked the color profile; On my device there's no green cast anymore now even at lowest brightness modes.

Epic.
    I hope it will translate well on other devices I well but for once I'm almost confident.