External Harddrives

Search This thread

bigdog2k7

Jan 3, 2013
Michigan
I run a lacie p9300 SSD 120GB and it works without a powered hub with no issues. It does have problems reading the drive though when my battery level reaches ~20% but I think that is due to the n10 limiting power to the micro port as it tries to conserve battery power...which is why I bought a pogo cable.

dust.

Jul 18, 2011
I run a lacie p9300 SSD 120GB and it works without a powered hub with no issues. It does have problems reading the drive though when my battery level reaches ~20% but I think that is due to the n10 limiting power to the micro port as it tries to conserve battery power...which is why I bought a pogo cable.

Apparently the pogo stops drawing power when OTG is being used. Check out the threads on the pogo cable for more info. Not good...

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: mark.m.moran

Johan1976

Jul 12, 2011
Sv: External Harddrives

This has from what I understand been the problem with Nexus 7. Are you sure it applies for nexus 10.

Guess we need modified kernel if that's the case.

Skickat från min HTC Desire via Tapatalk 2

dcnice

Jun 29, 2010
My nexus 10 is unlocked and rooted with the stock ROM.
I have it plugged intot he mains via the pogo cable and I have my external drive connected up via the OTG (drive drawing power from a proporta lith ion battery pack). The battery icon has the charging symbol and when I clck on the battery it says charing (AC).

However as I am writing this I have ust noticed that teh level has gone from 99% to 98%, so I guess it is not charging it,

Mr.Doc

Apr 11, 2012
I have so far used 3 external hds on my nexus 10
1- samsung 1tb 2.5" without external power
2- lacie external 3.5"
3-one of those caddy things where you just pop a sata drive in (vertically). This is not an enclosure as such. All 3 work. the drives in 1 and 2 are as purchased. with 3 i just use any old sata drive.

I'm planing to buy a Tab and I'm stuck trying to pick between Note 10.1 or the Nexus 10

and from what you say can you browse your HD from the tablet like using the computer if you have the Y cable to provide power for the HD and will this method work for the Note 10.1 or only works with Nexus

dcnice

Jun 29, 2010
I am afraid that I cannot comment on the note 10.1. However I would assume it would be the same.
The Y cable (+OTG) is only needed for devices that draw their power from the USB and does not require an external power supply. In some cases the tablet does not provide enough power, so the 2nd USB from the Y cable gets plugged into a power source. For items 2 and 3 on my list, these were plugged into the mains and therefore the standard USB cable (+ OTG cable) was used.

Mr.Doc

Apr 11, 2012
after u have used the Nexus 10 would u recommend it or should I buy the Note 10.1

Groundsel

Feb 5, 2013
I tired looking for one that runs off batteries and there is no such thing. You may find something with a micro USB input, although probably quite rare.. I settled for using a USB power pack to power the HD. Something like this should work fine (if you get a Y adaptor for the drive).

I am currently still using my old proporta power pack rated at 3400mah, but will be looking to upgrade to something like the link above.

I posted in the wireless USB storage thread about the new Ravpower Wifi disk. It creates its own wireless network to stream data to your tablet from whatever storage device you connect to the wifi disk. It has a built in battery that provides up to five hours of runtime. It features an SD card slot and a USB 2.0 slot and yes, both can be used simultaneously. It can handle up to a 2TB portable hard drive and stream to up to five devices at the same time. Currently going for $49.99 on Amazon. If you don't want to have a cable or device attached to your tablet, check out the wifi disk. I prefer the wifi disk to my OTG cable since it means the storage device isn't leeching power from the tablet.

mark.m.moran

Mar 2, 2010
Dublin
I posted in the wireless USB storage thread about the new Ravpower Wifi disk. It creates its own wireless network to stream data to your tablet from whatever storage device you connect to the wifi disk. It has a built in battery that provides up to five hours of runtime. It features an SD card slot and a USB 2.0 slot and yes, both can be used simultaneously. It can handle up to a 2TB portable hard drive and stream to up to five devices at the same time. Currently going for $49.99 on Amazon. If you don't want to have a cable or device attached to your tablet, check out the wifi disk. I prefer the wifi disk to my OTG cable since it means the storage device isn't leeching power from the tablet.

Must give it a look ;)

hughlle

Nov 18, 2012
I'm interested in the new wifeless drive that seagate has just released. seems to offer upgrades on the older goflex satelite, is 1tb, and if you are in the states, seems reasonably priced for what it is. They also got around to adding write support as well as simply read. Very tempted by one, although in the UK it comes in at around £200 which is rather steep, i could get a pair of 3tb desktop drives for that price.

Leoisright

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 22, 2010
MN
I'm using my 128gb Samsung 830 and works perfectly.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app

willmott1992

Sep 10, 2010
Derby / Gloucester / Bath
Using a cheapo OTA cable from amazon, my Hitachi 1TB Touro Mobile MX3 and Nexus Media Importer it works fine for me.
My Nexus needs quite a high charge for the hard drive to spin up though, otherwise I just get a clicking noise. However it does work when charged above ~70%.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Get Nexus media app. No root required and you can use hard drives :)

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using xda app-developers app
    I can confirm that the WD My Passport for Mac (500GB) was able to be powered by my Nexus 7, with a cheap chinese OTG cable, without any issue whatsoever.

Can't say if it will also work with a Nexus 10 or not, but I would assume there would be no issue.
    I have so far used 3 external hds on my nexus 10
    1- samsung 1tb 2.5" without external power
    2- lacie external 3.5"
    3-one of those caddy things where you just pop a sata drive in (vertically). This is not an enclosure as such. All 3 work. the drives in 1 and 2 are as purchased. with 3 i just use any old sata drive.
    Actually, I attached my Samsung 2,5'' 1tb HDD today to my new nexus 10 (writing on it right now btw), and it powered up. Sticky Mount recognized the HDD, though I wasnt able to access it without root permission... Got the tablet early this morning :)

Apparently the pogo stops drawing power when OTG is being used. Check out the threads on the pogo cable for more info. Not good...

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD