Touchscreen not working after 4.4.3 update

Search This thread

opreda

Feb 11, 2011
I was excited to see that one of my Nexus 7 tablets was getting the 4.4.3 update today. I started the update and let it go. When I came back I was at the lock screen. I only have the simple swipe to unlock. I couldn't unlock it at all. Held in the power button for several seconds until it shut off. Thought maybe something didn't load right. When I booted it back up, same thing. No touch screen.

Here is a little background. This is a Nexus 7 v2. Unlocked it and rooted it using the Nexus Root Toolkit version 1.8.2. During the process I did install the recommended recovery option. Everything worked great until the update today. Seems like I can't do anything. I can't use this toolkit to restore from the backup I made because I can't get into the tablet to turn on USB debugging or whatever it is asking me to do. I tried booting into recovery by holding the volume down and power button. The result was a picture of the android with a red triangle and an exclamation point. Not sure what else to do so I am posting this for all of you guys with more experience than me. Can anyone give me any suggestions?

mdamaged

Oct 16, 2013
South of Heaven
Moto G5 Plus
Google Pixel 4a
I was excited to see that one of my Nexus 7 tablets was getting the 4.4.3 update today. I started the update and let it go. When I came back I was at the lock screen. I only have the simple swipe to unlock. I couldn't unlock it at all. Held in the power button for several seconds until it shut off. Thought maybe something didn't load right. When I booted it back up, same thing. No touch screen.

Here is a little background. This is a Nexus 7 v2. Unlocked it and rooted it using the Nexus Root Toolkit version 1.8.2. During the process I did install the recommended recovery option. Everything worked great until the update today. Seems like I can't do anything. I can't use this toolkit to restore from the backup I made because I can't get into the tablet to turn on USB debugging or whatever it is asking me to do. I tried booting into recovery by holding the volume down and power button. The result was a picture of the android with a red triangle and an exclamation point. Not sure what else to do so I am posting this for all of you guys with more experience than me. Can anyone give me any suggestions?

Once you are back at the android lying on its back, hold down power and tap the volume up key, this will get you a recovery menu, from there you can try to wipe cache and dalvik, and if need be, factory reset.

Reactions: opreda

opreda

Feb 11, 2011
Touch screen is still dead.

Thanks for the quick update. I did all of the above and was able to reset the tablet. Not I am at the Welcome screen and tapping the screen does nothing :( I find it hard to believe that the touchscreen died during the update. I guess I will need to look on EBay for some parts. Can anyone suggest what parts to look for? Touch screen digitizer assembly is listing for around $65.

mdamaged

Oct 16, 2013
South of Heaven
Moto G5 Plus
Google Pixel 4a
Thanks for the quick update. I did all of the above and was able to reset the tablet. Not I am at the Welcome screen and tapping the screen does nothing :( I find it hard to believe that the touchscreen died during the update. I guess I will need to look on EBay for some parts. Can anyone suggest what parts to look for? Touch screen digitizer assembly is listing for around $65.

I might suggest you open it up now (you're going to have to anyways to replace it), and make sure the cable is securely inserted.

THEBANDIT420

Aug 19, 2013

If touch works in TWRP then its not hardware related

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Free mobile app

opreda

Feb 11, 2011
Tried the cables...

I found a tear down video on YouTube and was able to disconnect and then reconnect the long cable that goes across the battery connecting the 2 circuit boards. I believe this cable is connected to the digitizer. I was hoping that maybe this would fix my problem. No such luck.

Here is my question. This tablet was purchased on EBay and was sold as a refurbushed tablet with a 90 day warranty from Asus. I purchased it about a month ago so I should be in the warranty period. Since I unlocked the bootloader and rooted it, should I even try to send it to Asus for repair or should I just spend the $65 and buy the replacement parts on EBay? Instead of just buying the digitizer, I was thinking I would get the combo digitizer and lcd screen since it would save me having to use a heat gun to unglue the screen from the digitizer.

What do you think would be my best bet?
Thanks to everyone for all your suggestions.

mdamaged

Oct 16, 2013
South of Heaven
Moto G5 Plus
Google Pixel 4a
I found a tear down video on YouTube and was able to disconnect and then reconnect the long cable that goes across the battery connecting the 2 circuit boards. I believe this cable is connected to the digitizer. I was hoping that maybe this would fix my problem. No such luck.

Here is my question. This tablet was purchased on EBay and was sold as a refurbushed tablet with a 90 day warranty from Asus. I purchased it about a month ago so I should be in the warranty period. Since I unlocked the bootloader and rooted it, should I even try to send it to Asus for repair or should I just spend the $65 and buy the replacement parts on EBay? Instead of just buying the digitizer, I was thinking I would get the combo digitizer and lcd screen since it would save me having to use a heat gun to unglue the screen from the digitizer.

You can always unroot and relock the bootloader (you can use this to get it back to factory), if it's under warranty I'd go that route.

opreda

Feb 11, 2011
USB debugging...

Wouldn't this require me to have USB debugging enabled on the tablet? Since I went into recovery and restored it back to factory defaults, I can't get past the "Welcome" screen because I can't touch the screen. I am going to try and chat with the Asus support team and see if I can get an RMA. I'd rather go that route than take the whole thing apart myself. I like messing with computers but I don't like messing with phones and tablets. They are just too small and fragile for my unskilled hands. Thanks for your help. I will post an update if I am able to send the tablet out for repair.

mdamaged

Oct 16, 2013
South of Heaven
Moto G5 Plus
Google Pixel 4a
Wouldn't this require me to have USB debugging enabled on the tablet? Since I went into recovery and restored it back to factory defaults, I can't get past the "Welcome" screen because I can't touch the screen. I am going to try and chat with the Asus support team and see if I can get an RMA. I'd rather go that route than take the whole thing apart myself. I like messing with computers but I don't like messing with phones and tablets. They are just too small and fragile for my unskilled hands. Thanks for your help. I will post an update if I am able to send the tablet out for repair.

It uses fastboot, I don't think it needs it (in spite of what the OP says). And if I'm wrong, the worst that will happen is it won't work. You will need the fastboot drivers correctly installed in your windows or linux environment though.

opreda

Feb 11, 2011
worked

Thanks for the link. I ran the dead_nexus7.bat file since I couldn't turn on the USB debugging. It wiped out everything. I then ran the command to relock the bootloader. All set. Talked with Asus (web chat) and got an RMA number. They even sent me a FedEx label to use. Now I am more comfortable sending this unit back since it has been restored to stock and the bootloader is locked again. Thank you for all of your help.

Reactions: mdamaged

mdamaged

Oct 16, 2013
South of Heaven
Moto G5 Plus
Google Pixel 4a
Thanks for the link. I ran the dead_nexus7.bat file since I couldn't turn on the USB debugging. It wiped out everything. I then ran the command to relock the bootloader. All set. Talked with Asus (web chat) and got an RMA number. They even sent me a FedEx label to use. Now I am more comfortable sending this unit back since it has been restored to stock and the bootloader is locked again. Thank you for all of your help.

No problem, please let me know how it worked out. Good luck!

opreda

Feb 11, 2011
Update to my issue...

I contacted Asus using their web chat. Told the CSR about my issue and confirmed my Nexus 7 serial number. They emailed me paperwork to take to my local FedEx shipping location. It happened to be our local Office Max store. They scanned in the bar-code and processed it. I got a confirmation email with the tracking number. This was around June 6th. They received it in Texas 4-5 days later (because of the weekend). I checked the status almost every day. About 10 days after they received it I saw a status update. They included a FedEx tracking number but every time I entered it into the FedEx website, it showed up as invalid. I gave it a couple of days and then called FedEx. They were able to track the package and it was delivered to my house in late June. All in all it took about 3 weeks but they did repair it. I thought they would have just sent me a refurbished tablet. They actually fixed my tablet because it still had my screen protector on it. Just wanted to update you with the good news. My son was so excited to finally get his tablet back. I wasn't expecting it to take so long but I guess I can't complain. It didn't cost me anything out of pocket even to ship it to them. Thank you for your help with getting everything back to stock and the boot-loader locked.

Tablet was originally purchased as a refurbished tablet from a seller on EBay. It was supposed to have a 90-day warranty from Asus. Glad they held up their end. It all worked out in the end.

Reactions: mdamaged

mdamaged

Oct 16, 2013
South of Heaven
Moto G5 Plus
Google Pixel 4a
I contacted Asus using their web chat. Told the CSR about my issue and confirmed my Nexus 7 serial number. They emailed me paperwork to take to my local FedEx shipping location. It happened to be our local Office Max store. They scanned in the bar-code and processed it. I got a confirmation email with the tracking number. This was around June 6th. They received it in Texas 4-5 days later (because of the weekend). I checked the status almost every day. About 10 days after they received it I saw a status update. They included a FedEx tracking number but every time I entered it into the FedEx website, it showed up as invalid. I gave it a couple of days and then called FedEx. They were able to track the package and it was delivered to my house in late June. All in all it took about 3 weeks but they did repair it. I thought they would have just sent me a refurbished tablet. They actually fixed my tablet because it still had my screen protector on it. Just wanted to update you with the good news. My son was so excited to finally get his tablet back. I wasn't expecting it to take so long but I guess I can't complain. It didn't cost me anything out of pocket even to ship it to them. Thank you for your help with getting everything back to stock and the boot-loader locked.

Tablet was originally purchased as a refurbished tablet from a seller on EBay. It was supposed to have a 90-day warranty from Asus. Glad they held up their end. It all worked out in the end.

Good to hear, thanks for the update.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Once you are back at the android lying on its back, hold down power and tap the volume up key, this will get you a recovery menu, from there you can try to wipe cache and dalvik, and if need be, factory reset.

I might suggest you open it up now (you're going to have to anyways to replace it), and make sure the cable is securely inserted.

You can always unroot and relock the bootloader (you can use this to get it back to factory), if it's under warranty I'd go that route.

It uses fastboot, I don't think it needs it (in spite of what the OP says). And if I'm wrong, the worst that will happen is it won't work. You will need the fastboot drivers correctly installed in your windows or linux environment though.
    worked