Samsung General Galaxy Core LTE SM-G386F knowledge base

Search This thread

bchzmlsn

Aug 8, 2014
In this thread I would like to gather all information about custom roms, recoveries, kernels and root methods suitable for the Samsung Galaxy Core LTE SM-G386F, so that people don't have to look up every single thread in order to find (or, which is true in most of the cases, to not find) their desired solutions. Also this may get developers interested which would be good since there is nearly no developing going on at the moment. It would be very kind of the mods if they'd made this thread a sticky so that everybody can easily access the information. :)

201402191456303911.jpg

DEVICE SPECIFICATIONS

Display - PLS capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors; 540 x 960 pixels, 4.5 inches (~245 ppi pixel density)
Internal Memory - 8 GB, 1 GB RAM
Connectivity - GPRS; EDGE; HSPA; LTE, Cat4, 50 Mbps UL, 150 Mbps DL; Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA, Wi-Fi hotspot; Bluetooth v4.0, A2DP; NFC;
Camera - Back: 5 MP, 2592 х 1944 pixels, autofocus, LED flash; Front: 0,3 MP
CPU - Renesas MP5232 dual-core SoC (1,2 GHz)
Graphics Chip - PowerVR SGX544
Sensors - Accelerometer, proximity, compass
GPS - with A-GPS, GLONASS

LATEST STOCK ROM

Android OS, v4.2.2
Release date: August 2014
PDA: G386FXWUANG1
CSC: G386FITVANH1
Download: http://rapidgator.net/file/6a9315a968157e27400354cc6850bfcd/XEF-G386FXWUANG1-20140805095652.zip.html

HOW TO ROOT

First of all: I am NOT responsible for any damage the following guides may do to your phones. Use them at your own risk! If you don't know what you're doing - stop! You have been warned.

Currently there is only one working root method (thanks to freb123 for letting me know!).
Root via Chimera tool

EDIT: You can now manually root your devices!
The necessary files can be downloaded from here: sendbox.fr/pro/yagmbf4ke22i/g386froot.zip.html (thanks to freb123 again for providing us with the files! :))
These files can be flashed through ODIN and/or adb. The only thing you need to do is to change the file extension from .md5 to .tar (thanks to mstefanski1987 for figuring that out!)
Note: You still need to install supersu from Google Play after flashing.

Again: Use this at your own risk and only if you're completely aware of what you're doing.

Download ODIN 3.07: http://www.mediafire.com/download/khxp78iwthsukji/Odin+3.07+BY+taringuero_d+.rar
Download Samsung USB driver: http://developer.samsung.com/board/download.do?bdId=0000000700&attachId=0000000001

Requirements - Computer running Windows XP or above; Chimera Tool: https://chimeratool.com/application/142; All-in-one driver package: https://pics.chimeratool.com/drivers/chimera_drivers.exe; USB debugging enabled in phone

1. Download the linked packages
2. Install the drivers first and the program itself afterwards
3. Launch chimera tool
4. You will have to log in in order to proceed. To do so you'll need to sign up for a free chimera account here: https://chimeratool.com/register (this account expires after three days)
5. Connect your phone via USB with USB debugging enabled
6. If the phone is recognized correctly, the program will display your device model and five options (Info, Repair, Root/Unroot, Firmware Update and Factory Unlock)
7. Click "Root/Unroot"
8. The rooting process is automated so everything from 7. on should happen automatically. However, the program prompted me to manually enter download mode. If that's the case, simply disconnect your phone from USB, turn it off and enter download mode by following the on-screen instructions. After entering download mode reconnect your phone via USB and rooting should finish.
9. Since the program does NOT install supersu, you'll have to manually install it via Google Play.
10. That's it - your device is rooted!

CUSTOM ROMS & KERNELS

None yet

CUSTOM RECOVERY (TWRP,CWM)

None yet

Note: This thread will be updated as soon as I receive new information about the listed sections. If there is anything you wish to add or contribute (I'd love you to do that, believe me ;)) feel free to comment!

Attachments

• g386froot.zip
    15.4 MB · Views: 35,254
Last edited:

freb123

Mar 6, 2011
Thx for this thread.

Could we use the root.tar.md5 downloaded by chimera and root directly with adb or odin ?

bchzmlsn

Aug 8, 2014
Thx for this thread.

Could we use the root.tar.md5 downloaded by chimera and root directly with adb or odin ?

Do you know where chimera tool puts the downloaded files? I can't seem to find them.
If they can be taken from any directory, flashing via ODIN or adb should be no problem, since that's what the tool does as well.

freb123

Mar 6, 2011
Do you know where chimera tool puts the downloaded files? I can't seem to find them.
If they can be taken from any directory, flashing via ODIN or adb should be no problem, since that's what the tool does as well.

Yes, in the directory where you launh chimera (/backup/gm-386), but files are deleted after root. You can get them just after chimera asks you to put the phone off.
If you are already rooted, you need to unroot your phone to see them again ! (voodoo ota root keeper can help you...)

I send you the link to the file in PM (can't include a link, not enough posts in the forum).
sendbox.fr/pro/yagmbf4ke22i/g386froot.zip.html

Reactions: bchzmlsn

bchzmlsn

Aug 8, 2014
Yes, in the directory where you launh chimera (/backup/gm-386), but files are deleted after root. You can get them just after chimera asks you to put the phone off.
If you are already rooted, you need to unroot your phone to see them again ! (voodoo ota root keeper can help you...)

I send you the link to the file in PM (can't include a link, not enough posts in the forum).
sendbox.fr/pro/yagmbf4ke22i/g386froot.zip.html

Thank you! :)
I've updated the initial post and attached the files.

May 26, 2014
When i try to use attached file with Odin 3.07 I get this:

Code:
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> MD5 hash value is invalid
<OSM> sm-g386f_root.tar.md5 is invalid.
<OSM> End...

What am I doing wrong?

I am trying to get root so I can dump recovery image and start working on it. Any help is appreciated.

EDIT:

Figured it out, I had to change extension from .tar.md5 to .tar.
MANUAL ROOT METHOD IS WORKING.

EDIT 2:

I've added CWM to builder queue: builder-clockworkmod-com/done?build_id=16f0aab3c75f41c0a46f1aa4fdb4b407

Last edited:

przem00

Aug 14, 2010
Cracow
By uploading this file I can void some flag or triangle or it is with samsung signature ?

PS I know root is nonlegal :)

May 26, 2014
I've dumped boot.img and I'll try to create recovery later today.

Partition table for reference:

Code:
major minor  #blocks  name
253        0     153600 zram0
179        0    7634944 mmcblk0
179        1       1024 mmcblk0p1
179        2      20480 mmcblk0p2
179        3       6144 mmcblk0p3
179        4       6144 mmcblk0p4
179        5       6144 mmcblk0p5
179        6       2048 mmcblk0p6
179        7       2048 mmcblk0p7
259        0       8192 mmcblk0p8
259        1      10240 mmcblk0p9  - kernel
259        2      10240 mmcblk0p10 - recovery
259        3       2048 mmcblk0p11
259        4       6144 mmcblk0p12
259        5      32768 mmcblk0p13
259        6       6144 mmcblk0p14
259        7       6144 mmcblk0p15
259        8        256 mmcblk0p16
259        9       2048 mmcblk0p17
259       10     204800 mmcblk0p18
259       11    1510400 mmcblk0p19 - system
259       12      51200 mmcblk0p20
259       13    5730304 mmcblk0p21 - data
179       16       4096 mmcblk0boot1
179        8       4096 mmcblk0boot0

Well, I tried. Any idea why I get this after trying to boot freshly compiled recovery? Is bootloader locked or what?

Normal boot logo byt with red exclamation mark in the top left corner and then nothing.

i-imgur-com/32XyqR5.jpg

EDIT: Trying again, will post results. Here is my recovery.fstab:

Code:
# mount point	fstype    device    	[device2]

/tmp        ramdisk
/efs        ext4        /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
/boot       emmc        /dev/block/mmcblk0p9
/recovery   emmc        /dev/block/mmcblk0p10
/cache      ext4        /dev/block/mmcblk0p18
/system     ext4        /dev/block/mmcblk0p19
/preload    ext4        /dev/block/mmcblk0p20
/data       ext4        /dev/block/mmcblk0p21
/sdcard     vfat        /dev/block/mmcblk1p1

Last edited:
Reactions: przem00

przem00

Aug 14, 2010
Cracow
I've dumped boot.img and I'll try to create recovery later today.

Partition table for reference:

Code:
major minor  #blocks  name
253        0     153600 zram0
179        0    7634944 mmcblk0

Well, I tried. Any idea why I get this after trying to boot freshly compiled recovery? Is bootloader locked or what?

Normal boot logo byt with red exclamation mark in the top left corner and then nothing.

i-imgur-com/32XyqR5.jpg

Maybe because your recover is not valid ( samsung signature )
Like in my question above.
If you upload sm-g386f_root.tar you will have red exclamation ? or something else ?

przem00

Aug 14, 2010
Cracow
After uploading of this file all work fine, root working, but in samsung phone info app we have "Bootloader version: unknow". But I think, after reflash of original ROM it will be overwrited.

May 26, 2014
There is a recovery.img file in the archive (open the .tar with winrar).

There is but flashing it won't get you to CWM recovery (or I am doing something wrong). That's why I am trying to compile ClockWorkMod on my own.

I have little to none experience with compiling anything for android (built sony xperia j kernel from sources once). So far I've managed to fail once - compiled CM11 CWM instead of CM 10.1 and without modyfing recovery.fstab, which I presumed would be autogenerated from boot.img. I've fixed thoe mistakes and I will try to compile it again today.

In the meantme I've found that little red exclamation mark signifies that the device has been rooted at least once, so I guess it is not a problem to boot custom recovery once I get compiling it right.

Many fails are inbound, as I learn all the things along the way. Wish me luck.

Axelguitt

Feb 6, 2010

Thank you very much, manual root method is really working if you rename the file ! For me this is the only root method that works :good: (root method with chimera tool does not work for me (device is listed as "unknown") )

Last edited:

eleger91

Oct 29, 2005
Core 4G - Best price now

In France the Samsung Core 4G is at 119 euros
Compared to Wiko Kite or Archos 45 HELIUM 4G, I'd like to buy that one.
But, the best configuration would be with the last kitkat OS.
So, I'd like to root, install if possible CyanogenMod...
If I understand all the discussion, it seems to be possible to root it (possible for France ?)
Can we install CyanogenMod ?
:cowboy:

freb123

Mar 6, 2011
If I understand all the discussion, it seems to be possible to root it (possible for France ?)
Can we install CyanogenMod ?
:cowboy:

Salut. Oui le root est possible (la méthode manuelle semble bien marcher), par contre il n'y a pour l'instant ni custom recovery, ni rom kitkat.

Root is possible (manual method is ok) but no custom recovery and no kitkat rom.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In this thread I would like to gather all information about custom roms, recoveries, kernels and root methods suitable for the Samsung Galaxy Core LTE SM-G386F, so that people don't have to look up every single thread in order to find (or, which is true in most of the cases, to not find) their desired solutions. Also this may get developers interested which would be good since there is nearly no developing going on at the moment. It would be very kind of the mods if they'd made this thread a sticky so that everybody can easily access the information. :)

201402191456303911.jpg

DEVICE SPECIFICATIONS

Display - PLS capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors; 540 x 960 pixels, 4.5 inches (~245 ppi pixel density)
    Internal Memory - 8 GB, 1 GB RAM
    Connectivity - GPRS; EDGE; HSPA; LTE, Cat4, 50 Mbps UL, 150 Mbps DL; Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA, Wi-Fi hotspot; Bluetooth v4.0, A2DP; NFC;
    Camera - Back: 5 MP, 2592 х 1944 pixels, autofocus, LED flash; Front: 0,3 MP
    CPU - Renesas MP5232 dual-core SoC (1,2 GHz)
    Graphics Chip - PowerVR SGX544
    Sensors - Accelerometer, proximity, compass
    GPS - with A-GPS, GLONASS

LATEST STOCK ROM

Android OS, v4.2.2
    Release date: August 2014
    PDA: G386FXWUANG1
    CSC: G386FITVANH1
    Download: http://rapidgator.net/file/6a9315a968157e27400354cc6850bfcd/XEF-G386FXWUANG1-20140805095652.zip.html

HOW TO ROOT

First of all: I am NOT responsible for any damage the following guides may do to your phones. Use them at your own risk! If you don't know what you're doing - stop! You have been warned.

Currently there is only one working root method (thanks to freb123 for letting me know!).
    Root via Chimera tool

EDIT: You can now manually root your devices!
    The necessary files can be downloaded from here: sendbox.fr/pro/yagmbf4ke22i/g386froot.zip.html (thanks to freb123 again for providing us with the files! :))
    These files can be flashed through ODIN and/or adb. The only thing you need to do is to change the file extension from .md5 to .tar (thanks to mstefanski1987 for figuring that out!)
    Note: You still need to install supersu from Google Play after flashing.

Again: Use this at your own risk and only if you're completely aware of what you're doing.

Download ODIN 3.07: http://www.mediafire.com/download/khxp78iwthsukji/Odin+3.07+BY+taringuero_d+.rar
    Download Samsung USB driver: http://developer.samsung.com/board/download.do?bdId=0000000700&attachId=0000000001

Requirements - Computer running Windows XP or above; Chimera Tool: https://chimeratool.com/application/142; All-in-one driver package: https://pics.chimeratool.com/drivers/chimera_drivers.exe; USB debugging enabled in phone

1. Download the linked packages
    2. Install the drivers first and the program itself afterwards
    3. Launch chimera tool
    4. You will have to log in in order to proceed. To do so you'll need to sign up for a free chimera account here: https://chimeratool.com/register (this account expires after three days)
    5. Connect your phone via USB with USB debugging enabled
    6. If the phone is recognized correctly, the program will display your device model and five options (Info, Repair, Root/Unroot, Firmware Update and Factory Unlock)
    7. Click "Root/Unroot"
    8. The rooting process is automated so everything from 7. on should happen automatically. However, the program prompted me to manually enter download mode. If that's the case, simply disconnect your phone from USB, turn it off and enter download mode by following the on-screen instructions. After entering download mode reconnect your phone via USB and rooting should finish.
    9. Since the program does NOT install supersu, you'll have to manually install it via Google Play.
    10. That's it - your device is rooted!

CUSTOM ROMS & KERNELS

None yet

CUSTOM RECOVERY (TWRP,CWM)

None yet

Note: This thread will be updated as soon as I receive new information about the listed sections. If there is anything you wish to add or contribute (I'd love you to do that, believe me ;)) feel free to comment!
    Try to build cm-10.2

Hi everyone,

I've setup a build cyanogenmod environment and wait back my device from samsung "after-sales service". So at this moment i can't build anything, i've the kernel and platform source for the sm-g386f, cm-10.2 source, the devices specs and the very good wikipage from cyanogenmod wiki (title: How To Port CyanogenMod Android To Your Own Device) :
    Sorry i can't post link.
    When my devices is back i'll try build cm-10.2 + cwm, but i can fail.

don't give up.
    Lasts news c:

Hola !
    After multiple verifications, my compiled recovery should be working. BUT We can't boot into the phone because of the "SECURE BOOT : YES". We see it in the download mode. And after some searchs, i see that the secure boot is checking the boot & recovery partitions, and do not boot them if they are not stock ones. So the last thing to do is to disable it.

Pour les francais, le "Secure Boot", empeche de booter sur une partition boot / Recovery qui n'est pas officielle. Je vois mal comment le desactiver mais on essaiera.
    When i try to use attached file with Odin 3.07 I get this:

Code:
    <OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
    <OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
    <OSM> Please wait..
    <OSM> MD5 hash value is invalid
    <OSM> sm-g386f_root.tar.md5 is invalid.
    <OSM> End...

What am I doing wrong?

I am trying to get root so I can dump recovery image and start working on it. Any help is appreciated.

EDIT:

EDIT 2:

I've added CWM to builder queue: builder-clockworkmod-com/done?build_id=16f0aab3c75f41c0a46f1aa4fdb4b407
    I don't know, but i've retrieve some information from the web, pastebin .com/FSR7gxXe
    i'll get back my device tomorrow. and i'll try working on this week-end!

and i'm french too ;)

PS: sorry i can't post link atm.