[All XDA Members] Feedback/Recommendations for XDA

Search This thread

jugg1es

May 29, 2012
I did only say it was a slight flaw, but just as an example there's a thread on the evo 3g forum where every pic posted can gain easily 3 thanks as a minimum, now i know for a fact most people here are aware of the thread. I'm just saying that at that rate 250 thanks wouldn't be that difficult to gain and you wouldn't have to have an understanding of anything, i did say that the argument looks good on paper but things would have to be put in place to avoid gaining the thanks in this way.

"All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusion is called a philosopher."
- Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914)

boborone

I've love to see all explicit requests for "thanks" and "donations" to be against the rules - not only in banners/sigs, but in any posts whatsoever:

Thanks: The problem here is that I see some users actually suggesting using the 'thanks' button for a good reason - to prevent spam. For example, the OP in a firmware thread might ask users to NOT reply to the thread just to say 'thanks', but to instead use the "thanks" button. Some might even put that same information in their banner/sig. That's very nearly the same as someone having a sig with "If this helped you, please hit 'thanks'." Now we're back to what we have today. So, perhaps the thread view on the the forum should always show some canned "if this is helpful and you want to thank the poster, use the 'thanks' button" message (without the poster having to type that) and then any additional request for thanks would be against the rules (on penalty of having a "thanks" meter reset to 0.)

Donations: This, IMO, is a worse problem. The FACT is that some people look at XDA as a profit center and that really irritates me. I'd _LOVE_ to see XDA ban all requests for donations in banners/sigs AND in message texts. Leave the "donation" button intact and a new user help page could explain the purpose of it. How strongly do I feel about this? Look at my own sig or try to click my own "donation" link. There have been people who I've considered donating to - until I saw a request for a donation in their posts. As soon as I see that, I won't do it. XDA should be about SHARING freely - not about begging for donations.

I know man. It's been a while since I made a meaningful thread in a while. Made one the other day. Put this in it.
Just some things I found and looked up. Please for the love of god DO NOT POST thanks, thank you, nice job, good thread, whatever the hell else you noobs want to post. The thanks button is there for a reason. Not that I care if you push it, but if you feel the need to post a thanks, just click the button instead.

If you find something you would like to add to the list, please post. It could always use more. I like reading, it's the only way you learn.

And you know, I didn't even think of it being a thank me post. I was just really not wanting to have to report posts for deletion just cause some kids were posting thanks.

undercover

Oct 10, 2010
London, UK
Why differentiate user states at all?

Just to be called "senior member" or something? What is actually being discussed regarding actually accomplishing with any new user groups? what is broken that we are trying to fix here?

Seems like this has just turned into a discussion of whether thanks count or post count have any merit or prestige, but to what end are we trying to answer these questions other than philosophically?

What's happening? Well, it was mentioned that it IS being looked into, so people have thrown in suggestions. What's wrong with that?

Funny you mention this, we our considering/looking at changing the goal posts for when users become Senior Members. I also think it's too easy to become a Senior Member and maybe raising the required post count to 500 or 1000 would be more suited along with a certain number of thanks

So I guess this is your suggestion to Fallen Spartan?

Last edited:

boborone

Just some feedback for the admins and others like bitpusher and pulser_G2.

Thanks guys. Not going to say what I've seen. Filters don't need to be made public. But over the last couple of weeks, I've seen some examples of spam and noob filters that weren't there before. Good job guys. Keep it up.

roofrider

Jul 24, 2011
Bangalore, IN
Well since 'thanks' is being discussed, i'd like the thanks meter to be banished from xda and be replaced with something else if needed.

rirozizo

I just want some info, i'm not complaining or anything:

i applied for an RC, almost a year ago, the reply was a denial because of an infraction that was going... i understand that.

my infraction ended on 13 (maybe 12) February, this year... so i reapplied, and the mod regected me saying that my infraction expires on march, and i can reapply 3 months after that...

why that rule? the infraction was a simple misunderstanding, and it expired 3-4 days ago, so why do i have to wait those 3 months now?

———————————————————
^ this bar means i'm using my phone :)

ApriliaM3

Retired Senior Moderator
Feb 5, 2012
Bangkok
I really don’t understand all the negative connotations being leveled at the Thanks button.
What’s the issue if a person has a small and unobtrusive note in their signature, reminding people to press thanks if they have been helped by the aforementioned person’s post?
I don’t mean a huge banner with neon lights begging for thanks but personally, I’d rather see a small reminder to press the thanks button than see some malingerer who constantly asks for help and doesn’t have the decency or good manners to say thanks using any method.
My view of the thanks button has always been a positive one as it serves multiple purposes. To name just three:
1. It serves to give thanks where thanks are due.
2. It notifies the original poster, that you have read and appreciated the post they have taken the time and effort to write.
3. It helps to keep the thread clear of posts just to say thanks.

Regarding the question of when should a Member qualify as a Senior Member, I like the idea of raising the bar here also.
Whether this is achieved by requiring more posts, more thanks, longer membership or a combination of all three, I’m open to ideas but I like the idea in principle.

Why differentiate user states at all?
Just to be called "senior member" or something? What is actually being discussed regarding actually accomplishing with any new user groups?

As a mark of recognition is enough reason I think. Also, it's not adding any new user group... it's fine-tuning the existing user groups.

By your thinking, some may ask what is the use of a Recognized Contributor title?
Simple. You are being recognized for your devotion and service to the XDA community... at least that's what I take from it.

The same could and should be used for the Senior Member title…
It should mean that you haven’t just joined XDA because of some short term goal of what XDA can do for you (like unbricking your device etc.)
You have joined XDA because of your interest in technology and in the XDA community and you have stayed an active member for a designated length of time and accumulated a designated number of posts and achieved a designated number of thanks.

K.A.

Apr 4, 2012
I really don’t understand all the negative connotations being leveled at the Thanks button.
What’s the issue if a person has a small and unobtrusive note in their signature, reminding people to press thanks if they have been helped by the aforementioned person’s post?
I don’t mean a huge banner with neon lights begging for thanks but personally, I’d rather see a small reminder to press the thanks button than see some malingerer who constantly asks for help and doesn’t have the decency or good manners to say thanks using any method.
My view of the thanks button has always been a positive one as it serves multiple purposes. To name just three:
1. It serves to give thanks where thanks are due.
2. It notifies the original poster, that you have read and appreciated the post they have taken the time and effort to write.
3. It helps to keep the thread clear of posts just to say thanks.

Regarding the question of when should a Member qualify as a Senior Member, I like the idea of raising the bar here also.
Whether this is achieved by requiring more posts, more thanks, longer membership or a combination of all three, I’m open to ideas but I like the idea in principle.

As a mark of recognition is enough reason I think. Also, it's not adding any new user group... it's fine-tuning the existing user groups.

By your thinking, some may ask what is the use of a Recognized Contributor title?
Simple. You are being recognized for your devotion and service to the XDA community... at least that's what I take from it.

The same could and should be used for the Senior Member title…
It should mean that you haven’t just joined XDA because of some short term goal of what XDA can do for you (like unbricking your device etc.)
You have joined XDA because of your interest in technology and in the XDA community and you have stayed an active member for a designated length of time and accumulated a designated number of posts and achieved a designated number of thanks.
I really didn't want to do this, but here goes.. look at this guy's thread. Reap OP's starting, then the last part of OP, then the first part of the 2nd post. Then look at his signature.
-gone- He isn't just a thanks wh*re, he is THE Thanks wh*re.

Last edited:

ApriliaM3

Retired Senior Moderator
Feb 5, 2012
Bangkok
I really didn't want to do this, but here goes.. look at this guy's thread. Reap OP's starting, then the last part of OP, then the first part of the 2nd post. Then look at his signature.
He isn't just a thanks wh*re, he is THE Thanks wh*re.

TBH, I don't see a lot wrong with what you've quoted above but more than that, I'm really struggling to care less.
In fact, I find the signature in Post 3 to be more obnoxious but maybe that's just a matter of taste.
In any case, I don't see the need to single out a specific user and make derogatory comments about him / her in a public forum.
I see from your post, that you appear to have thought long and hard about whether to post your comment or not... I would have chosen the latter.
There are quite a few large and obnoxious signatures that I've come across on XDA during my time here...
The ones I used to have to suffer on a daily basis, I no longer see thanks to AdBlock :)

Fallen Spartan

Moderator Emeritus- Irish Pride, Spartan Legacy
TBH, I don't see a lot wrong with what you've quoted above but more than that, I'm really struggling to care less.
In fact, I find the signature in Post 3 to be more obnoxious but maybe that's just a matter of taste.
In any case, I don't see the need to single out a specific user and make derogatory comments about him / her in a public forum.
I see from your post, that you appear to have thought long and hard about whether to post your comment or not... I would have chosen the latter.
There are quite a few large and obnoxious signatures that I've come across on XDA during my time here...
The ones I used to have to suffer on a daily basis, I no longer see thanks to AdBlock :)

If you or any user sees somebody with a signature that looks to be on the large side (or inappropriate), please click on any of that users post and report the signature. A mod will look at it and contact the user (or edit it if deemed unacceptable) and ask then to reduce it

You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think! XDA, mobile wisdom, not a n00b feeding ground!!

K.A.

Apr 4, 2012
Erm...Demanding a thanks from the person before saying that he is allowed to download the ROM doesn't look like a wrong thing to you? :eek:
I really wouldn't like a dev telling me to thank him first before he gives me the download link further down the post. Agreed it can just be ignored, but it shouldn't be like that..

Last edited:

ApriliaM3

Retired Senior Moderator
Feb 5, 2012
Bangkok
Erm...Demanding a thanks from the person before saying that he is allowed to download the ROM doesn't look like a wrong thing to you? :eek:
I really wouldn't like a dev telling me to thank him first before he gives me the download link further down the post. Agreed it can just be ignored, but it shouldn't be like that..

Absolutely I agree with you on that... In fact I noticed a similar scenario just this past week from a member here on XDA.
He was also refusing to release an update unless people rated his thread with 5 stars!
Unfortunately for him, it had the complete opposite affect from what he was hoping to achieve... and rightly so.
The entire thinking behind this sort of behavior goes completely against what I've always thought XDA stands for.

K.A.

Apr 4, 2012
Absolutely I agree with you on that... In fact I noticed a similar scenario just this past week from a member here on XDA.
He was also refusing to release an update unless people rated his thread with 5 stars!
Unfortunately for him, it had the complete opposite affect from what he was hoping to achieve... and rightly so.
The entire thinking behind this sort of behavior goes completely against what I've always thought XDA stands for.
Woah, that's plain idiocy.
IMO, regarding the huge thank me banners and sigs, I think the user should be warned twice about it and if it happens the third time, thanking the user should be disabled.

ApriliaM3

Retired Senior Moderator
Feb 5, 2012
Bangkok
I just want some info, i'm not complaining or anything:
i applied for an RC, almost a year ago, the reply was a denial because of an infraction that was going... i understand that.
my infraction ended on 13 (maybe 12) February, this year... so i reapplied, and the mod regected me saying that my infraction expires on march, and i can reapply 3 months after that...
why that rule? the infraction was a simple misunderstanding, and it expired 3-4 days ago, so why do i have to wait those 3 months now?

You should probably view it as if you have served your sentence and now you're out on parole for the next 3 months :)

jebuchanan

May 10, 2012
With respect to the thanks, that is so abused these days, and Imo, worthless at present. I have seen members get several thanks just for Coming on and saying hello (this is over simplified, but true). I don't mind any system when it is used correctly, but some of the abuse of various counters on here is crazy.
I like the idea of a time period for Senior level, and perhaps a minimum post/thanks level, but I see that too getting abused.
I also think the thanks system should not publicly display the names of those who give thanks.
With respect to the apps, try quickly scrolling past a hundred of these. Can't. I have to pause a moment for the (complete) post to DL so I can slowly scroll past them. Displaying total post thanks would be sufficient without seeing the names (usually the same ones over and over).

Sent from my Samsung GT-i9100M
ROM NeatRom Lite 4.3 XWLSD
Kernel Philz 4.35 XWLSD
Mods:
23 toggles blue w/rt clock
Automatic Call Recorder
NeatRom Boot Animation
Multiwindow fix
AdvanceS fix

Last edited:

electricsheepdreamer

Oct 18, 2012
With respect to the thanks, that is so abused these days, and Imo, worthless at present. I have seen members get several thanks just for Coming on and saying hello (this is over simplified, but true). I don't mind any system when it is used correctly, but some of the abuse of various counters on here is crazy.
I like the idea of a time period for Senior level, and perhaps a minimum post/thanks level, but I see that too getting abused.
I also think the thanks system should not publicly display the names of those who give thanks.
With respect to the apps, try quickly scrolling past a hundred of these. Can't. I have to pause a moment for the (complete) post to DL so I can slowly scroll past them. Displaying total post thanks would be sufficient without seeing the names (usually the same ones over and over).
Well, IMHO, this is oversimplified but true.
Anything can be abused or used. The browser view, report button, signatures, you name it.
So let's use it.

Section9

Dec 18, 2007
Well, IMHO, this is oversimplified but true.
Anything can be abused or used. The browser view, report button, signatures, you name it.
So let's use it.

Just to add on:

We all know how people tend to gyrate towards the wrong end of the system when there are no specific rules about it. I have been here since I got my first PPC phone and stayed away from the chaos.

XDA was strictly a "do your search before asking any question noob!" zone and any repeated questions were shot down with "read the op" which is quite daunting.

The only community that I gravitate towards is NeatRom thread whose members are patient and willing to answer most questions, even though they are repetitive. I think the success of that community relies on the kindness and goodwill of all it's members and it's developer, which I feel, is the right direction to proceed in.

Unless XDA would like to become a puritan state strictly for developers, if not, a little kindness goes a long way. :laugh:

jugg1es

May 29, 2012
Just to add on:

We all know how people tend to gyrate towards the wrong end of the system when there are no specific rules about it. I have been here since I got my first PPC phone and stayed away from the chaos.

XDA was strictly a "do your search before asking any question noob!" zone and any repeated questions were shot down with "read the op" which is quite daunting.

The only community that I gravitate towards is NeatRom thread whose members are patient and willing to answer most questions, even though they are repetitive. I think the success of that community relies on the kindness and goodwill of all it's members and it's developer, which I feel, is the right direction to proceed in.

Unless XDA would like to become a puritan state strictly for developers, if not, a little kindness goes a long way. :laugh:

This same sense of community was something i found in the htc Desire s forum when i first signed up. And that still exists, i think it's there in a lot of the devices its just with the influx of new users it tends to get a little lost.

We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
—Aristotle

prototype7

Apr 16, 2012
New Hampshire
This same sense of community was something i found in the htc Desire s forum when i first signed up. And that still exists, i think it's there in a lot of the devices its just with the influx of new users it tends to get a little lost.

We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
—Aristotle

It's really all about the general attitude of the members and the atmosphere of the community. If the precedent is set that repeated questions = bad and those that ask them are idiots, then anyone joining and hanging around for a while will gladly join in on the noob bashing. If people are generally helpful and patient with people who might ask a repeat question as long as they're reasonably polite, then new members will mostly follow that when they gain more experience, and it would be the noob bashers that are looked down on.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Fallen Spartan

Moderator Emeritus- Irish Pride, Spartan Legacy
It's really all about the general attitude of the members and the atmosphere of the community. If the precedent is set that repeated questions = bad and those that ask them are idiots, then anyone joining and hanging around for a while will gladly join in on the noob bashing. If people are generally helpful and patient with people who might ask a repeat question as long as they're reasonably polite, then new members will mostly follow that when they gain more experience, and it would be the noob bashers that are looked down on.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

100% agreed. Put it this way, I always try to treat those as I would like to be treated. If you treat people with respect, in turn they should hopefully treat you with respect. If you behave like an a$$, don't expect others to do you any favours

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    of course but no matter what iam tryin to search i always get no results

i made a search for "Magisk"
    am i doin it right?! :(

in xda app of ketan
    View attachment 6073197

and in opera browser
    View attachment 6073199

and both the same result
    View attachment 6073198
    View attachment 6073200

@dipseeet
    Have you managed to fix it?

It seems like this kind of issue was discussed by @Nimueh and @IronTechmonkey in somewhere else.
    Try to change the XDA Forum Style to XDA - Dark.
    Go to this post if you don't know how to change it.
    @dipseeet
    Have you managed to fix it?

It seems like this kind of issue was discussed by @Nimueh and @IronTechmonkey in somewhere else.
    Try to change the XDA Forum Style to XDA - Dark.
    Go to this post if you don't know how to change it.

Since switching From one of the old App templates to one of the newer ones I have been able to search "this thread" but there is a quirk and the behavior might not be the same when search is invoked by different buttons. Here I'm speaking to Firefox and the search button in the top bar. The order in which "this thread" is selected and the actual search criteria is entered seems to be a factor, possibly due to the dynamic nature of the search box as text is entered. IIRC: This thread > Criteria > search works best in my case but might not in all cases.
    Google is ok but it cannot do task in other apps like WhatsApp text.
    Google Assistant CAN send messages in Whatsapp.
    Yep, I use it often while driving (via Android Auto).
    After reading a few threads and comments from our members I thought it may be worthwhile to create a Feedback, Recommendations or Idea's thread for XDA. We want to improve our forum for developers and the normal users.

So, rather than sending a PM to a Moderator, please feel free to leave any feedback or idea's you may have to improve XDA, so we can discuss them properly, openly, with the plan to hopefully implement the ideas which are good.

It's sole purpose is to improve XDA and collect your thoughts and idea's.

We will all be monitoring this thread, and someone will hopefully reply without much delay.

Thanks

Rick
    Moderator/Developer Committee

Edits done by Clark Joseph Kent to better support XDA.
    XDA-Developers needs to be more about developers

While I see that time and users have made XDA less about development and more about user support, I think XDA has gone too far in that direction.

Developers need a place to DISCUSS development.

The "General" subforums are too overwhelmed with threads like "Post pictures of your phone", "list of threads linked from other places" and other random "general user" stuff.

The "Q&A" subforums are now a place where moderators chase newbies to. The most technical question you might find in the Q&A section these days is "I just bricked my phone, what do I do?" (Usually, the answers are either making fun of the OP or telling him/her to search.)

The "Development" subforums, which seems like a logical place to discuss development, is now reserved for people to post finish products only and beg for donations - It's the XDA version of the "app store." There's no actual "development" discussion allowed.

Here's what we don't have anymore (but desperately need):

A place where a kernel developer could start a thread discussing the pitfalls of turning off processor cores on a particular device when the device is idle. That would likely lead into a discussion on possible ways to optimize the IN/OUT code for the cores, which would actually *gasp* promote development.

A place where a person might post a "HOW TO" document describing how to modify a stock firmware for a specific device to override carrier controlled lock downs. (For example, editing the CSC for a samsung device.)

A place for development related DISCUSSION - not just a subform for "I cobbled together mods I copied from other people into a so-called ROM and will now beg you to donate to me and press my "thanks" button."

XDA promotes itself as a DEVELOPERS FORUM. The definition of "forum" is "A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged." Doesn't that seem to indicate that development related discussion would be encouraged here?

(continued...)

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

So, the obvious question about my post above is how do you moderate a "developers discussion" subforum?

I honestly don't see a problem with that. You make posting access to that subforum by request only. The access should be granted pretty freely but with a note reminding the user that any non-development discussions will result in loss of access to those subforums. Plain and simple. Any RD's or ERD's would automatically be given access without the need to post a request.

Only developers should moderate those subforums, as the fact is that XDA has some moderators that have no clue whatsoever what "development" is.

I'd even go so far as to suggest that XDA's ERDs would be given final say in moderating those subforums. Actually, it might be a good idea to give ERDs final say in moderating all the development related forums - including the existing so-called "development" and "original development" subforums.

I'll have one more post to discuss the current vagueness of the rules and the random enforcement of them...
    Seriously tempted to just ban the next person who talks about the 10 post rule in here. Obviously they don't read the OP and don't care. They just want to complain. Well maybe I don't care about their accounts any more and will just delete them.
    I don't read this thread for over a day and all hell breaks loose.

Unfortunately, the last few pages is not the way I intended this thread to go. Instead of being suggestings to improve XDA, it has been steered down the road of "should we have OT threads in device forums or not"

Can we try and steer away from this for a second and get back to the threads purpose with sensible suggestions. Now with all suggestions, discussion needs to take place so we can decide if the proposal is worthwhile or not. This is not us (mods & admin) ruling out your suggestions, it is us discussing your suggestion to see whether or not it would work with XDA.

I personally value all suggestions, unfortunately we can not implement them all, but we (XDA) will do our best to listen, communicate with you and move forward with suggestions which will work

Thanks
    I think every overlooks one thing - if they try to spam OT, it's easy to find and remove, and reset their accounts. Our FSMs will spot it in device forums.

I think in general we catch spammers faster in OT than elsewhere... So surely that helps, given it keeps OT clean..

Regards to OT, I think the perceived problem is one of maturity. I know most of those involved claim to be adults, but some of the pointless threads about banana and llama are frankly a waste of space... OT used to be about mature debate and humour, but now it seems dominated by a highly insular group who spend inordinate amounts of time there, which would be more productively spent getting a job, or constructively posting to help people having problems..