Blacklisted S4

Search This thread

Red_81

Dec 5, 2010
St.Louis Metro
I love swappa. I bought and sold there. Even swappa wouldn't have helped in this case because the seller reported it stolen the NEXT day.

You can take the guy to small claims court and you should win. You will be able to claim the court fees and actual loses. I think you can even factor in your time off work. If you go that route, dress in a suit or at least a shirt and tie. If you show up looking proper and he is sagging his pants the judge will usually rule pretty quickly in your favor.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium

Reactions: kurdish11

kurdish11

Aug 19, 2012
You guys do realize that he blacklisted it the next day, does anyone read here?. I checked the IMEI, it came clean. Just as swappa would have shown, but if the guy reports it after he's gone then....?

Anyway, detective called me today and says he a possible suspect, going into his office Wednesday to confirm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app

kurdish11

Aug 19, 2012
Are you sure you didn't buy a hot phone? Was the price you paid too good to be true? Sounds like this was a shady deal from the get-go.

*If I were a crook and I wanted to unload my stolen phones, I would sell them on CL.
Just sayin...

Obviously not. It was his phone since he had the power to unblacklist it for a moment when he said he did............

alex6speed

May 30, 2013
Bay Area, CA
Thanks for sharing this story, OP. This is a perfect article on what to be aware of when buying used directly from the owner. Considering cellphone change hands like used cars nowadays, it's important to know how to defend yourself. Thanks again!

oldblue910

Jan 1, 2011
Durham, NC
In the future, if you buy a used phone, you should immediately call your carrier and have that IMEI number put onto your account. That should (in theory, anyway) prevent the seller from doing something fraudulent like reporting it stolen the next day. Once that IMEI is on your account, you're the only one who can report it stolen. Also make the seller call their carrier in front of you and have that IMEI number removed from their account.

plwalsh88

Apr 4, 2011
Boston, MA
In the future, if you buy a used phone, you should immediately call your carrier and have that IMEI number put onto your account. That should (in theory, anyway) prevent the seller from doing something fraudulent like reporting it stolen the next day. Once that IMEI is on your account, you're the only one who can report it stolen. Also make the seller call their carrier in front of you and have that IMEI number removed from their account.

I like that earlier suggestion of just getting right to the point and meeting in a corp AT&T store. You gotta meet up with him anyway, so why not try to make it as bulletproof as possible?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

kurdish11

Aug 19, 2012
Yeah but I've met at an AT&T store too. (I'm with T-Mobile) and they said they can't switch the owner because its tied to it from purchase. So I don't know, seems like you can commit insurance fraud, and no matter how you approach it or how safe you may take it, you can still be a victim of it.... detective called me today asked me to come in Wednesday.

kurdish11

Aug 19, 2012
Oh and check this out haha. Look at what he randomly texts me the other day. Garret bring the guy who sold me the phone, and the one texting me being his friend.

I'm a nice enough guy to filter his number out, which I really shouldnt lol.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1370920561150.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1370920561150.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 627

stl-soldier

Apr 18, 2011
While we wait for an update to this saga, anyone know of a legal means of changing an IMEI? The OP was a victim of fraud along with the insurance company, but many of us have old/broken phones with valid #s. It would be nice to be able to transfer an IMEI from an old phone to a new one in order to get it working while staying legal.

niceppl

May 2, 2012
San Jose
adorabledev.com
While we wait for an update to this saga, anyone know of a legal means of changing an IMEI? The OP was a victim of fraud along with the insurance company, but many of us have old/broken phones with valid #s. It would be nice to be able to transfer an IMEI from an old phone to a new one in order to get it working while staying legal.

Still illegal...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda premium

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 PM ----------

Normally Imei is tied with sn number and different phone will have different form of sn number... its easy to tell if the imei dies not belong to kind of the phone

stl-soldier

Apr 18, 2011
Still illegal...

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 PM ----------

Normally Imei is tied with sn number and different phone will have different form of sn number... its easy to tell if the imei dies not belong to kind of the phone

Thanks. This thread is exciting AND informative.

george241312

Jan 3, 2010
Yeah. Some buyers are too trusting or dumb. The last few people I've sold phones too, I just handed them the box with the phone and that was it. They didn't check anything or even put a SIM in. Theyre asking for trouble

- sent from Galaxy S4

Lol those are probably the smart ones no questions asked ,probably because if it is blocked theyll know how to "deal with it"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda premium

kurdish11

Aug 19, 2012
Lol those are probably the smart ones no questions asked ,probably because if it is blocked theyll know how to "deal with it"

Dude we know how to swap IMEI's.. Its not anything hard, its just doing right or wrong.... you can be a crook, but that's one thing I am not.... you always think you're "smart" until you get caught..

toxicpaulution

Oct 27, 2011
Lykens
Its not hard to do a lot of things to make a quick Buck. But all of it is illegal and above all else immoral. I'm not a church person or anything but doesn't mean I don't have morals nor anyone else on here. You could say you wanna switch imeis and such to "your" other phones but noone on XDA is going to tell you how. But anywho OP I wish you luck. I bought an infuse off CL for 75$ about a month ago. I was alittle worried because it was so cheap and in good condition. Used it before I bought it to make sure it wasn't blacklisted but was lucky enough to have a nice person selling it to me who wasn't looking to rip off. That's my first and last time buying on Craigslist just so I can be one for one. I usually only buy new but was in desperate need of a phone(I was running Sony xperia x10) but I think overall you have a pretty good case. And for the other guy to tell you he went to jail for something unrelated it means he's in the system with a bad list and who knows maybe he has something to do with ripping money from someone and it will just add cusion to your case. But yes goodluck :)

Thermalwolf

Mar 13, 2011
Austintown, Ohio
OP I think you got a real compelling case. Especially since his buddy pretty much admitted he's in **** for the phone, unrelated or not. Also make sure if you're going to post screenies here that you keep any identifying info blacked out. It could be considered harassment or something along those lines and crooks like him will try to turn everything around in self defense, which he proved he's capable of doing when he reblocked the IMEI.

Best of luck but if you're going for a line up tomorrow and this guy is in jail then that just definitely mean they got him for you. You're not out of the woods yet but there's plenty of light shining through the canopy for you :)

Sent from my SGH-I337 using xda premium

alphadog00

Jun 29, 2010

Your premise makes no sense. Where would you get the "new" phone that you want to erase the IMEI on? If you knowingly buy a stolen phone you are just as guilty as the crook.

This should not even be debated. If you buy a stolen car, would you wonder how to change the VIN?

It sucks getting ripped off, but that doesn't justify perpetuating the problem.

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
There is no legal way to change the IMEI. Only the manufacturer has the right to change it. This will not be debated or talked about past my post. I hope I am clear on this.

Wayne Tech Nexus

ViciousLSD

Feb 26, 2011
I usually trade phones from the same carrier... I clearly state that if the phone gets blacklisted that I will report the phone stolen. Or I trade for a different carriers phone that's unlocked. ..

kurdish11

Aug 19, 2012
We shall see what is in store tomorrow. I just want my money back haha... jeez people make life so complicated.....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update!

Okay so I went in at 10am to the police department and met up with the detective working on my case for the first time.. it was a brief meeting, only about 5 minutes. He showed me a line up, I located the guy in the blink of an eye, circled him and that was it. We joked for a few and he said he would need me to come again on Monday to sign the warrant he issued for his arrest..

dont drop the charges. he wasted your time, time and stress youll never get back. No matter what, dont drop anything, people like that should be taught a lesson to make sure they think twice before attempting fraud
    I didn't misunderstand. I know the OP purchased the phone legally, But your statement " but many of us have old/broken phones with valid #s. It would be nice to be able to transfer an IMEI from an old phone to a new one in order to get it working while staying legal"

implies that there is a source of "good" phones to replace "old broken" phones. Unless all these good phones are the result of the same insurance scam by owners (unlikely), they must be stolen.

And even if everyone with broken phones, bought phones from legitimate owners that are pulling insurance scams, the phone then actually belongs to the insurance company if the insurance company paid the original owner.

It sucks but the buyer is screwed - there is no way around that, and trying to find a way to legitimize this is wrong.

I seem to recall a mod telling us to shut up about IMEI switching, you're feeding him lets end this now and get back on subject please. The subject is kurdish's issue with the blacklisted IMEI as part of an insurance scam and I for one am very interested in hearing how this turns out first off because who doesn't love gossip? Secondly it would be nice to know how to handle this the most effectively and what the possible outcomes are should I ever end up in this situation. So unless you have personal experience with the situation hes in why don't y'all two take it to PM.
    ok so you want to tear your head off, correct?
    I
    Okay so I bought an S4 off craigslist and the next day he reports it stolen and blacklists it, I contact his friend trying to work it out (note: everything we said to each other was over texts, so I have them still as proof - and I got his friends number the day I met him.. he deactivated his service).. he said he doesn't know why his friend blacklisted it but he would call AT&T to unblock it, shortly after he said he did it.. I waited patiently but to realize that it was still blocked so I text him again, he doesnt respond for a full day so I told him I will call the Police. He must have gotten scared because he finally responds and unblocks it.... I used it for a couple hours, then my service cuts off and he sends me this long message telling me that he blocked it again and is calling the cops because I threatened him?. I never said anything threatening to him but whatever....

So I call the police, report everything and tell them the story. A couple hours later a detective calls me and asks if I would like to prosecute, I agreed... so now Im waiting to see what happened...

What do you guys think? I should easily win right, I have all the proof. All the texts.. from before I purchased and from after.. and I have his original craigslist post....

I told this guy 100 times to either unblock it or just give my money back and id cancel the prosecution but he didnt respond, so whatever. ..

Anybody been through something similiar?. Think I should win? He clearly commited insurance fraud... and must have created a police report to report his "stolen" phone..

You will win. You can take him to small claims court and have him pay the fees too.

See if you can get a cache of his ad just in case for evidence. Most likely he'll cave in and refund you.

Show him all of your evidence and say "we can take this to court and I'm sure I will win."

On a side note, what an awesome detective working your case. I'm sure he's very busy too. These guys have back logs of cases not resolved and have to work tons of overtime.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app