SPB Mobile Shell 3 / diamond theme?

Search This thread

iorga1

Feb 17, 2009
Hi,

I haven t flashed my diamond yet.
But yesterday I installed the spb 3 and it s amazing.
I even think it s faster...

Well, so my questions:
is there a diamond theme for spb3.0?
i ve seen there s one for 2.1, but it s not working on 3.0
Should I put a ROM for my diamond?
I want it to be as fast as possible (and possibly the touch screen to be more sensitive)
Which ROM would you advise me? (and can it be compatible with SPB3?)
I m not asking how to do it, just the latest ROMS avail that are faster and smoother.
i haven t properly understood how i can see what is inside each rom.
basically i want GPS working, i want tasks and calendar, internet and wifi and radio.
maybe a better video player cause the ones i have do suck.

That's it, thanks guys!

Last edited:

iorga1

Feb 17, 2009
EDIT:
i have WM 6.1 how should I update to 6.5? is it easy? free?
i can t update weather data with SPB MS 3.
I have internet, it works.
but when I click UPDATE it does nothing...

MrCreel

Mar 16, 2008
Norway
Yes its free.
Yes its easy.

Run hardspl on ur diamond, and download one of the roms in this forum, then connect ur phone via activesync, start the program.
Then ur set to go.
Sry if that was a little hard to read, but i just woke up :D

iorga1

Feb 17, 2009
ok thanks.
so you're telling me that WM6.5 comes preshipped inside some ROMS, is that correct?
Any ROM compatible with SPB MS3 and super light (but with GPSToday, Tomtom, Coreplayer or similar, wifi and some extra apps?)

Cheers

mjaxa

Nov 7, 2008
Hi,
I haven t flashed my diamond yet.
But yesterday I installed the spb 3 and it s amazing.
I even think it s faster...

Flash ANYTHING else than the stock ROM and you will see about speed and smooth... :D And THEN compare it with SPB...

ok thanks.
so you're telling me that WM6.5 comes preshipped inside some ROMS, is that correct?
Any ROM compatible with SPB MS3 and super light (but with GPSToday, Tomtom, Coreplayer or similar, wifi and some extra apps?)
Cheers

Win 6.5 is NOT OFFICIAL YET, so you can't have it in "preshipped" roms. What;s' out there is leaked betas.

Fast 6.1 Rom - Nataly (check Pietrucci's benchmarks), comes with kitchen so you can set it up the way you want.
Fast 6.5 rom - well, they are not THAT fast and consume more memory.

If you have manila CFC compressed, and a fast rom, then SPB doesn't offer any real advantages. It's just something different. I tried it, and, hmm... came back to TF3D. it's functional, smooth, etc. I tried to put out "i got used to it" factor, as you can get used to spb shell too. it's just that I didn't found any real (speed or memory) reasons to use SPB. And fork extra money for it on the top of it... TF3D is free after all....

As well, when it comes to the applications -you install what you want, don't expect to have tomtom in rom, apart from other things it's illegal.... ROM is a base. then you customize it (in kitchen ) or install what you want after.

Good luck in search for optimum config!

Last edited:

iorga1

Feb 17, 2009
thanks for your answer.
ok so basically you're telling me SPB is not that fast compared to ROMs avail out there, and its functionnality is not that evident.

I like it a lot (though no way to update weather)

And my ROM is 1.93.,,,, radio 1.25... so it s not that outdated, is it?
which ROM should I put in order to have at least the same than what I have?
Cause it seems ROM development was huge some time ago, and you guys had the HTC diamond a long time ago... mine has 4 months, and this means it might come shipped with an already decent ROM. I wouldn t like to flash it with an older ROM and see some features/apps disappear... do you see what I mean?
Am I wrong? cause the google entries only show roms from 2008... is there anything newer out there?

MrCreel

Mar 16, 2008
Norway
SPB is just a today app, u can still use spb after installing new rom.
Belive me, if u install other roms like Energy ROM, it will be faster, smother and better.
After installing new rom just install SPB again.
Even if it looks like its older roms here, it aint.
Hope this answer will help you.
Cheers mate! :)

mjaxa

Nov 7, 2008
thanks for your answer.
ok so basically you're telling me SPB is not that fast compared to ROMs avail out there, and its functionnality is not that evident.

I like it a lot (though no way to update weather)

And my ROM is 1.93.,,,, radio 1.25... so it s not that outdated, is it?
which ROM should I put in order to have at least the same than what I have?
Cause it seems ROM development was huge some time ago, and you guys had the HTC diamond a long time ago... mine has 4 months, and this means it might come shipped with an already decent ROM. I wouldn t like to flash it with an older ROM and see some features/apps disappear... do you see what I mean?
Am I wrong? cause the google entries only show roms from 2008... is there anything newer out there?

I STRONGLY suggest the use of searh feature:
http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=Diamond_Upgrades
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=512505
It helps ENORMOUSLY....

And in general - from the posts above I would suggest that you do first some reading. there's a lot of decent FAQ's here, as well as tutorials. Just read for 2 -3 evenings. It will be VERY beneficial to you, I hope.
After all, none of us was simply born with the knowledge.. :) And all of us had the 1st day with diamond, then some time on this forum, and then a lot of things became self-explanatory... ;)

Good luck!

iorga1

Feb 17, 2009
thanks guys
i read all this info a long time ago, did not upgrade, so I forgot a lot.
But I understand the ideas and the vocabulary :)

You said 2 things:
- upgrade the HTC site ROM. ok but it is not recognised when I type in my serial number. cause telefonica movistar SPN is a bit annoying for this.
as far as i remeber my readings, this would be solved when hardspl and ROM flashed.
- the numbers taht appear on the table, do not correspond to mines. So I guess this means I should get one of those, and try to proceed to the upgrade.
Is is worth? (i think it s better to get rid of that annoying logos and themes and crappy heavy processes shipped in the movistar ROM and grab the ENERGY one, or another one like Rhodian (have to read)

Anyway thanks for your answers.
I ll try to flash the ROM. First have to make a backup.
:)

also i might have a dump of the ROM for guarantee purposes, done few months ago :)
cheers,

mrm2007

Feb 26, 2009
Hi,

Because speed is important, My suggestion is BsB ROM Specially Version J.(Windows Mobile 6.5)

Version L is slightly slower (Because of 10mb pp instead of 16mb-not big difference)

I'm using BsB ROM+SPB Mobile shell V3 and it works like a charm.

Good Luck!

mjaxa

Nov 7, 2008
When it is about speed, a review "works like a charm" is, how to say, highly subjective ;)

I recommend the benchmark thread by pietrucci - so far this is the only objective test of many diamond roms.. and according to that, 6.5 is not that fast...

Sorry - that's what the benchmarks say...
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=406640

halloj

Jun 1, 2008
When it is about speed, a review "works like a charm" is, how to say, highly subjective ;)

I recommend the benchmark thread by pietrucci - so far this is the only objective test of many diamond roms.. and according to that, 6.5 is not that fast...

I agree, but I must say that SPB 3 with a standard rom is a lot faster than any rom with TFLO that I've tested.

mrm2007

Feb 26, 2009

Hi,

Thanks for the benchmark, but i have to say :

1) Bsb 6.5 ROM isn't in benchmark . i also can't see Energy WM6.5 ROM in this benchmark. These two are fastest available 6.5 ROMs for diamond (in my opinion)

2) in my personal experience, spb mobile shell 3 on Bsb ROM, is faster than any Other 6.5 or 6.1 ROM.(specially if you change pp to 16mb-default is 10).

3)I think Bsb ROM is Quick because of Excellent Memory Management. with Mobile shell 3 running, i have more than 50MB free Memory after Boot(pp=10MB) and without SPB More than 61MB.

Give it a try, i'm sure that you won't be disappointed. :D

Good Luck!

Last edited:

mjaxa

Nov 7, 2008
OK, you may be right, but still, in order to say "is fast" you need to compare it to hard data. If you want to bother you should install SPB Benchmark and run it on this ant that rom, and ONLY then you will really see.
Having said that, at the end it doesn't really matter. What matter's is user comfort/feeling :D

And about memory - so you say "i have more than 50MB free Memory after Boot(pp=10MB) and without SPB More than 61MB." hmmm. In my configured rom (including extra apps like lumos, keyboard switcher, etc) after reset I have 56MB free. Without TF3d 64MB. So... this is rather standard for me :D Nothing special here...

But ultimately it comes to personal preference. I like Nataly, because there is kitchen and I can "trim" the ROM to my personal taste. Of course, the speed and LOTS of memory doesn't hurt... :)

mrm2007

Feb 26, 2009
SPB Benchmark Results for BsB 6.5L + SPB Mobile Shell

OK, you may be right, but still, in order to say "is fast" you need to compare it to hard data. If you want to bother you should install SPB Benchmark and run it on this ant that rom, and ONLY then you will really see.
Having said that, at the end it doesn't really matter. What matter's is user comfort/feeling :D

In my configured rom (including extra apps like lumos, keyboard switcher, etc) after reset I have 56MB free. Without TF3d 64MB. So... this is rather standard for me :D Nothing special here...

But ultimately it comes to personal preference. I like Nataly, because there is kitchen and I can "trim" the ROM to my personal taste. Of course, the speed and LOTS of memory doesn't hurt... :)

Hi,

I agree that it comes to personal preference Completely.

SPB benchmark Results : (first after a full day working , second after soft reset)on BSB6.5L + SPB Mobile Shell 3 Running
Keep it in mind that Nataly is WM6.1 and BsB is WM6.5.

1)
Spb Benchmark index 741.55
CPU index 1766.19
File system index 344.06
Graphics index 3551.07

2)
Spb Benchmark index 765.9
CPU index 1776.53
File system index 359.16
Graphics index 3336.17

I also attached XML Result Files.

Good Luck!